Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

pathetic little tramp posted:

Uh hey speaking of those kinds of scammy companies, something crazy happened today. Vemma, one of those pyramid scheme companies like Amway that normally avoids being called a pyramid scheme because they're "selling a product" got ruled as a pyramid scheme by the FTC today:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/ftc-vemma-shut-running-pyramid-scheme-33333526

I never thought I'd see the day.

I knew a few friends who got involved with Vemma. It's funny because it was so obviously a scam right from the start. I mean you have to pay money to be their salesman. Anyone who's not a complete idiot has to raise their eyebrows at that. Top that off with a recruitment video a friend showed me where the founder of the company said that it should be illegal to work a regular job (because they're so boring and everyone should just sell energy drinks), and holy poo poo how did anyone fall for it? People want so desperately to get rich quick they will believe literally any lie.

I also had another friend who got involved with another two of these MLM companies. One was called LegalShield and the other Primerica or something and he literally would go door to door trying to sell retirement plans and legal insurance. The kicker about these programs was that unlike Vemma, where once you sold a product you could at least pocket a small profit, the LegalShield and Primerica companies depended on the people you registered staying on the program for a whole year. When someone dropped from the product before a year was up, the company would charge you back a prorate for what was left of their insurance term. They couldn't literally reach into your bank account, but basically you owed money to the company, which would be subtracted from future commissions. But he was convinced someday the company would make him rich, so he stayed on.

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

pathetic little tramp posted:

Uh hey speaking of those kinds of scammy companies, something crazy happened today. Vemma, one of those pyramid scheme companies like Amway that normally avoids being called a pyramid scheme because they're "selling a product" got ruled as a pyramid scheme by the FTC today:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/ftc-vemma-shut-running-pyramid-scheme-33333526

I never thought I'd see the day.

I remember hearing about Amway getting in similar legal trouble years ago. The FTC claimed that they were making almost as much money off of their salespeople (from selling DVDs and seminars and crap) as they did from actual customers.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chomskyan posted:

I knew a few friends who got involved with Vemma. It's funny because it was so obviously a scam right from the start. I mean you have to pay money to be their salesman. Anyone who's not a complete idiot has to raise their eyebrows at that. Top that off with a recruitment video a friend showed me where the founder of the company said that it should be illegal to work a regular job (because they're so boring and everyone should just sell energy drinks), and holy poo poo how did anyone fall for it? People want so desperately to get rich quick they will believe literally any lie.

I also had another friend who got involved with another two of these MLM companies. One was called LegalShield and the other Primerica or something and he literally would go door to door trying to sell retirement plans and legal insurance. The kicker about these programs was that unlike Vemma, where once you sold a product you could at least pocket a small profit, the LegalShield and Primerica companies depended on the people you registered staying on the program for a whole year. When someone dropped from the product before a year was up, the company would charge you back a prorate for what was left of their insurance term. They couldn't literally reach into your bank account, but basically you owed money to the company, which would be subtracted from future commissions. But he was convinced someday the company would make him rich, so he stayed on.

That, and a lot of people think they're smarter than everyone else, and want to believe that they've figured out the One Weird Trick to getting rich. Once they are onboard, they aren't likely to realize or admit that they got scammed, because that would be the equivalent of admitting that they are actually idiots.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Chomskyan posted:

Primerica reps call me about jobs regularly, for some reason they think "Currently employed at >X salary" somehow translates to "I'm desperate for cash please hire me for your MLM company". Monster is the worst for this btw.

They definitely have a large recruiting element.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

hanales posted:

Primerica reps call me about jobs regularly, for some reason they think "Currently employed at >X salary" somehow translates to "I'm desperate for cash please hire me for your MLM company". Monster is the worst for this btw.

They definitely have a large recruiting element.

There's a guy in the neighborhood who always struck me as scammy. He'd brag about buying poo poo cheap and selling it on eBay and he always has 4 or 5 cars in his driveway that he's trying to flip. I bumped into him at the music store where he was being denied credit to rent a saxophone for his kid and we started talking. And of course he's also selling Primerica.

It requires a certain personality and boy he has it.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

There's a guy in the neighborhood who always struck me as scammy. He'd brag about buying poo poo cheap and selling it on eBay and he always has 4 or 5 cars in his driveway that he's trying to flip. I bumped into him at the music store where he was being denied credit to rent a saxophone for his kid and we started talking. And of course he's also selling Primerica.

It requires a certain personality and boy he has it.

I respect good hustlers, people who can recognize opportunity, take advantage of it and carve out a living. It takes a lot of work and a keen eye. Most people THINK they are hustlers, but actually lose money over time. Your friend sounds like the latter :D

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

hanales posted:

I respect good hustlers, people who can recognize opportunity, take advantage of it and carve out a living. It takes a lot of work and a keen eye. Most people THINK they are hustlers, but actually lose money over time. Your friend sounds like the latter :D

Oh he's a hustler. He's from Jordan and I get the impression that kind of a national identity there. Unfortunately his engineering degree from the Middle-East hasn't translated well in the States, so he sells poo poo secondhand on eBay.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014
I had to cut all ties with a friend because he kept trying to push Primerica on me and my wife. It's really sad.

Now my neighbors are into beachbody/shakeology/p90x and now I can't stand being around them because they mention it everytime we hang out.

The saddest thing is that they make fun of people in MLM schemes because they pay up front for fees, or licensing rights...but then my neighbor goes on to tell me how he's drinking three shakeology shakes per day and going to conventions for the product to become a "coach".

The cognitive dissonance is astounding. It almost makes me want to start my own cult/religion/MLM scheme, morons are in no short supply

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

quote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3itqwe/dad_is_addicted_to_the_stock_market/ posted:
Hey there guys. Seen a lot of good advice around here from knowledgeable people, so I might as well have a shot at asking.

My dad is somewhat addicted to the stock market. He's perfectly fine otherwise, but he just won't let go of this one thing. Its burnt him multiple times, in 2004 badly (about $200k) when he played with futures trading, once again in the 2007-2008 crisis (another 50k) and once again now, when China's market seems to not have a bottom floor. Currently my whole family is sitting on top of a 250k debt for our shares alone. The house I live in is also not fully paid (another 100k~).

We are planning to shift our house soon, and due to some government benefit or something we will gain about 200k in liquid assets (read: cash). Instead of paying off the home loan or even his stocks loans, my dad plans to use it to... buy even more shares.

He's been drawing on my and my mother's savings since day 1, on top of his own earnings from his full time job. My mother has let go of about 20k, and I am currently letting go of another 10k. All this because the share prices have gone down, and the banks aren't letting him keep the loan without a deposit.

I am stuck on what we can do to solve this problem. I feel he is biting off waaay more than he can chew (he has zero economic training or academic qualifications, he's an engineer by profession and academic line, has a Masters in Engineering) and yet he insists on such risky ways to grow his wealth. His respectable salary has been used up in this sh*t for so long until we don't get to enjoy any of the luxuries we should have at this income level. We lead simple lives, thrifty as f*.

Helps would be appreciated.

Tl;Dr: ** my dad has no economic qualifications, yet insists on investing more and more into a stock market despite having been burnt multiple times before (in futures trading, stocks trading). And all this while under a huge a*s debt. For his stocks and my family's house. **
Stop giving your dad more money to throw in his infinite money hole!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Are you not allowed to swear on Reddit?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Stop giving your dad more money to throw in his infinite money hole!

This xkcd just came up on /r/financialindependence , regarding engineers and stock picking: http://xkcd.com/1570/

I see the same with various coworkers. Similarly, I bought a bunch of Netflix shares a long time ago and got antsy after a few dollar swings near $100 and bailed out on a near zero gains, and then it later went on to quadruple over the next year... But now >95% of my sellable equity positions are in index funds, and it's so much less stressful.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I'm interested in this misterious "government benefit or something" that provides you with $200k in cash.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thesaurus posted:

I'm interested in this misterious "government benefit or something" that provides you with $200k in cash.

Cashing out a pension at a guess.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
From the OP of that Reddit thread:

quote:

Tbh, I myself do not know what would drive such an educated and intelligent person to do poo poo like this. And yes, we are planning to separate from him the moment I get a job on my own, after I complete my university degree.

Thanks for your help.

How does he have $10K to give away as a university student?

quote:

He lives in Singapore, so it's not a US thing at least.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Another one from Reddit. This time- a poster asks about financing the purchase of a luxury car:

quote:

Hello,
I am a reservation holder for a model X and judging from the 130k price tag I will have to take out a larger loan than I originally anticipated. Previously, I have gotten my loans through my Harvard Credit Union but they cap the loan amount at $50,000. I am going to be looking at financing maybe $70,000 USD. I have never used anyone but HUECU. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear about them.
Thanks!

:suicide:

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Yeah, if you don't even know how to finance that much, and it's for consumer spending, just take it as a sign from the universe and sell your reservation spot to someone else.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I dunno, I had to look into how to finance my similarly-priced car because I hadn't really done it before. I ended up not doing financing, because my credit history in the U.S. wasn't going to get me a good rate, but the poster is putting 40% down and if they have the cash flow for the payment, what's BWM?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Subjunctive posted:

I dunno, I had to look into how to finance my similarly-priced car because I hadn't really done it before. I ended up not doing financing, because my credit history in the U.S. wasn't going to get me a good rate, but the poster is putting 40% down and if they have the cash flow for the payment, what's BWM?

It's not a 10 year old Civic paid for in cash, basically.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I personally think a $130,000 car with a 54% loan to value is ridiculous and I don't even drive a 10 year old Honda Civic.

It sounds like the Harvard employee (student?) can afford it as long as he/she doesn't need cash available for anything other than the car.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

It's bad with money because the massive cost of the loan will cannibalize any fuel savings that having an EV would otherwise save you. But then again, maybe that guy just wants a really expensive toy (in that case, "money" as an issue simply becomes irrelevant).

And as much as I love Teslas, they are very expensive to repair, even if you simply get rear-ended. After all, it's a luxury supercar. And if you're already neck-high in a $70,000 car loan, a $10,000 cost for repairing "$10,000 estimate to repair a 'minor but long' scratch" will kill your cash flow.

Besides, if your preferred lender says, "The most we'll give you is $50,000" (which in itself is significant) then your automatic response is to find another lender who will give you more, then it's a pretty good indicator that the first lender had cash flow concerns.

Barry posted:

Yeah, that's it. :rolleyes:

Think of it this way. He's looking for $70K to finance the purchase of a $130K car. So he probably has $50K to put towards a new vehicle. You can get a really decent car for that amount. Heck, you can even top it up with a smaller loan (you know, less than $70K. Chump change, right?), and get something that much better and not be up to your neck in car loans for a car that doesn't even exist, yet. And as sleek as Teslas are, $80,000 buys you a lot of gasoline.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 1, 2015

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
^^That's a lot to assume based upon the very little information in the OP.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I personally think a $130,000 car with a 54% loan to value is ridiculous and I don't even drive a 10 year old Honda Civic.

It sounds like the Harvard employee (student?) can afford it as long as he/she doesn't need cash available for anything other than the car.

That's a lot to assume based upon the very little information in the OP.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Or that limit could be so that they preserve their preferred liquid reserves.

You wouldn't buy a $130K car, that's fine, but if that's what the car you want costs and it fits in your finances, it's not BWM. It's possibly even the result of having been GWM previously.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Barry posted:

As a predominantly AI guy that reads BFC I find it hilarious that people think a 2005 is old. I know I'm the "wrong" one but it's one of those "I don't wanna be right" deals.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Adiabatic posted:

As a predominantly AI guy that reads BFC I find it hilarious that people think a 2005 is old. I know I'm the "wrong" one but it's one of those "I don't wanna be right" deals.

It's just a throwaway comment. Insert whatever cheaper, older car you prefer in place as you see fit in order for the point to get across.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

melon cat posted:

It's bad with money because the massive cost of the loan will cannibalize any fuel savings that having an EV would otherwise save you. But then again, maybe that guy just wants a really expensive toy.

So not optimizing for fuel costs is BWM? Only one good-with-money car out there I guess.

I certainly wasn't motivated by fuel expense savings. Getting a panel replaced wasn't cheap, but didn't have any material financial effect on me. OTOH, it's awesome to drive, a tiny environmental contribution, and the safest thing on the road. All of those are things I was willing to spend money on, financed or not. I would have taken way more than 50% LTV if I'd got a good rate, because investments are outperforming the rate I was after.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If their primary bank (the bank with the best understanding of their financial picture) would only offer $50,000, and they are going to get a loan for $70,000, why is it a bold assumption that the loan payment will represent a very high percentage of their available cash flow?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

melon cat posted:

Think of it this way. He's looking for $70K to finance the purchase of a $130K car. So he probably has $50K to put towards a new vehicle. You can get a really decent car for that amount. Heck, you can even top it up with a smaller loan (you know, less than $70K. Chump change, right?), and get something that much better and not be up to your neck in car loans. And as sleek as Teslas are, $80,000 buys you a lot of gasoline.

Again, a lot of assumptions. I don't disagree that's a possible scenario, but you're really assuming the worst when there's not much information to go on. It's also possible that he has $500k he could put towards a new vehicle but chooses not to so as to remain more liquid or whatever the hell.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
To me the problem with the $130k car guy is that if you have to ask the internet how to acquire your Rich Person loan, you are probably not actually a Rich Person.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Barry posted:

It's just a throwaway comment. Insert whatever cheaper, older car you prefer in place as you see fit in order for the point to get across.

Yeah it's a completely valid opinion to have. I just thought it was funny. Myself and probably 70% of AI would never dream of buying a car for more than $10,000. We like poo poo-boxes from the 80s and 90s. Couple that with doing our own repairs and it would be GWM if we didn't each have 5 of them.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Devor posted:

To me the problem with the $130k car guy is that if you have to ask the internet how to acquire your Rich Person loan, you are probably not actually a Rich Person.

I think it's prudent to ask the internet questions about saving money on a loan if it's not something you're familiar with. Nobody bursts forth from the womb knowing the best place to get a $70k car loan and having a certain income (which we have no clue what reddit posters is) doesn't mean you know that either.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If their primary bank (the bank with the best understanding of their financial picture) would only offer $50,000, and they are going to get a loan for $70,000, why is it a bold assumption that the loan payment will represent a very high percentage of their available cash flow?

They might just blanketly cap auto loans at $50k, financial capabilities of the lender be damned. The language used was "they cap the loan at $50k" not "they cap my loan at $50k."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Because credit history and not just cash flow affects loan amount? My first car loan was capped very low relative to my cash flow (about 10% of my gross) because I hadn't established credit history in this country yet.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Barry posted:

Again, a lot of assumptions. I don't disagree that's a possible scenario, but you're really assuming the worst when there's not much information to go on. It's also possible that he has $500k he could put towards a new vehicle but chooses not to so as to remain more liquid or whatever the hell.
If he had $500K in liquid savings lying around, his primary lender wouldn't have any problem lending him more than $50,000. I don't know if you've ever worked in a lending position at a financial institution, but in case you haven't- having a significant amount in liquid savings reflects very well on a credit applicant. Because if he had $500K lying around, it's something that the bank can easily fall back on, and it reflects good savings habits. But the OP's in a situation where his primary lender is flat-out refusing to lend him more than the amount of credit that he's applying for. Chances are that he just barely qualified for that $50,000 loan that he initially asked for, otherwise they would've made changes to the final numbers.

Yes, I'm making a lot of assumptions here. But so are you. I'm assuming that his lending capacity is already maxed out, based on his preferred lender's lending decision. But you're making an even more dangerous assumption- that he somehow has $500K in liquid savings just lying around.

Barry posted:

They might just blanketly cap auto loans at $50k, financial capabilities of the lender be damned. The language used was "they cap the loan at $50k" not "they cap my loan at $50k."
That's not a common banking practice at all. Most financial institutions have a credit adjudication process for applicants who apply for for higher than normal amounts (or if their application is initially declined, but exceptional circumstances would make them a credit-worthy applicant), whereas the application just goes to a second level of decision-making for a second credit analysis. Very common. And if it didn't progress to that point, then the bank likely didn't see any value in escalating the application to the second-level of the application process.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 1, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Devor posted:

This is the most salient point so far imo

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Read his post history. He's a science student (posted asking for someone to solve his homework problems).

But he also has a wife who's into sous vide (rich person hobby) so the "$500,000 cash savings account and bad credit" scenario may well be more likely to be true than the "$70,000 car loan is a significant portion of his income" scenario.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sous vide equipment is cheap now, like 100-150 bucks.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
sous vide is a cooking style, I'm not sure it could really be described as a hobby let alone a rich person one...

like no one would say "she's really into deep frying (poor person hobby)"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

melon cat posted:

If he had $500K in liquid savings lying around, his primary lender wouldn't have any problem lending him more than $50,000. I don't know if you've ever worked in a lending position at a financial institution, but in case you haven't- having a significant amount in liquid savings reflects very well on a credit applicant.

I've never been in a lending position, but my first car loan was capped at 10% of my gross, while I had easily 20X the loan amount in liquid assets. I didn't even need the loan to buy the car, I just wanted to establish a credit history. The loan officer was very apologetic, but was limited by my credit history.

Sous vide is...a rich person hobby?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Subjunctive posted:

I've never been in a lending position, but my first car loan was capped at 10% of my gross, while I had easily 20X the loan amount in liquid assets. I didn't even need the loan to buy the car, I just wanted to establish a credit history. The loan officer was very apologetic, but was limited by my credit history.

That's crazy! My credit score is in the 500s because I was sent to collections twice when I was 22, but I was able to get a $400,000 mortgage this year due to the amount I had in savings.

Did you shop around at multiple banks at all? I hear Harvard Credit Union is great

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Read his post history. He's a science student (posted asking for someone to solve his homework problems).

But he also has a wife who's into sous vide (rich person hobby) so the "$500,000 cash savings account and bad credit" scenario may well be more likely to be true than the "$70,000 car loan is a significant portion of his income" scenario.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or what. But in case you aren't, I'm not sure how a $200 to $400 kitchen appliance equates to a rich person hobby? :confused:

Subjunctive posted:

Ah, I see. But if you did indeed have that much money in liquid savings, I personlly feel like your buying circumstances are different from the OP's.

And some unsolicited credit advice- if you're looking to establish credit history, you're better off using a revolving credit facility instead of an instalment loan. :)

Subjunctive posted:

A mortgage is going to be easier than a car loan I suspect, given the respective underlying assets?
You're totally right. And if you want to hear something even more hosed up- it's easier to qualify for a mortgage than it is to get qualify for an unsecured credit line at a half-decent interest rate.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's crazy! My credit score is in the 500s because I was sent to collections twice when I was 22, but I was able to get a $400,000 mortgage this year due to the amount I had in savings.

I didn't have bad credit, I had no credit history in the U.S. And yeah, I talked to a couple of banks, my CU was the most reasonable in the end.

A mortgage is going to be easier than a car loan I suspect, given the respective underlying assets?

• Locked thread