Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
According to my, probably somewhat outdated, tables, he's basically paying 1,7 million for a 250k real estate. Sounds like a good deal.

Edit: Never mind, read that as 14k/month instead 14/k year which is way less hilarious.

Randler fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
It sounds like horse meat is legal in the States. Anyone have a follow-up to this? http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2966499

Adiabatic posted:

Isn't this like, the definition of the head shot?
No, headshot is mortgage fraud. This is structured gift tax fraud.

Randler posted:

According to my, probably somewhat outdated, tables, he's basically paying 1,7 million for a 250k real estate. Sounds like a good deal.
14*30=420k. Without getting too crazy on the math, its about a 3.8% mortgage. Not a good deal for a long distance rental for sure.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 29, 2016

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

SiGmA_X posted:

No, headshot is mortgage fraud. This is structured gift tax fraud.
14*30=420k. Without getting too crazy on the math, its about a 3.8% mortgage. Not a good deal for a long distance rental for sure.

Yeah, I misread that as 14,000 per month. 14,000 per year for 30 years comes out to a way more boring amount. One that is below the 250k value even, depending on interest rate used. :smith:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
She says that she will be making money off of renting it out at "about 1,500 a month minus management fees, expenses, and taxes" while paying her mom $14,000 a year. Even her basic math seems very off unless she has 0% vacancy rate and is able to raise the rent a decent amount each year.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She says that she will be making money off of renting it out at "about 1,500 a month minus management fees, expenses, and taxes" while paying her mom $14,000 a year. Even her basic math seems very off unless she has 0% vacancy rate and is able to raise the rent a decent amount each year.

Yeah with the mom-payment of 1,166.666/mo, 1,350/mo after mgt fee doesn't leave much room for vacancy let alone maintenance or profit. Hard pass.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

monster on a stick posted:

Business, Finance, and Careers › Bad With Money: They eat horses, don't they?

damnit I was gonna make that joke :mad:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

My favorite horse story was on a horsey forum several years ago (don't judge me, they are a source of neverending hilarious drama) where the barn owner's stallion had "jumped the fence" and impregnated the OP's mare (OP being a teenage girl of course) and OP and her family were in no way financially able to care for a foal. You can abort a pregnant mare quickly cheaply just with a prostaglandin shot but the girl's family refused to do so because...abortion was against their religious beliefs. Yes, Jesus loves the unborn foals too.

*You can also put a mare on birth control - there's a shot (Regumate) or you can slip a marble in the horse's uterus which does the same thing. Not sure how Jesus feels about that though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
If it wasn't for my horse uterus marble insertion internship, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

NancyPants posted:

It's not a dodge, they're in the EU. Again, if other EU countries have good standards in place, that's good. If they've shown it's not impossible to safely slaughter and butcher horses on a large scale, also good. It doesn't change the fact that eating animals not raised for consumption is not the best idea. If they're raising them and slaughtering, they've shown it works on their scale. I would be curious to see if those techniques could ever translate to the scale of US meat production.

What am I missing? E: besides the links you sent to documents in German.

Ee: VVV that is fair

A previously unknown disease caused by the fodder isn't a butchery standards issue.

You keep saying you don't care and keep hiding behind weak Glenn Beck level "we just don't know folks" bullshit to justify your cultural aversion to horseflesh.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

My brother in law is currently renting a house above a horse barn that houses show horses for people that do not have the room for the animals, he is also responsible for mowing the lawn and the general upkeep of the grounds. This seems like a job you could get paid to do and possible score some free living arrangements, but instead he is paying somebody to live above their horse barn and mow the lawn, BWM on his part GWM on the owner of the barn, he is raking it in from all angles.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rythe posted:

My brother in law is currently renting a house above a horse barn that houses show horses for people that do not have the room for the animals, he is also responsible for mowing the lawn and the general upkeep of the grounds. This seems like a job you could get paid to do and possible score some free living arrangements, but instead he is paying somebody to live above their horse barn and mow the lawn, BWM on his part GWM on the owner of the barn, he is raking it in from all angles.

Does he at least get to play with the horsies

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

No he just gets free mystery meat when a horse dies.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So what's the closest spot an American can go to get a nice horse steak and a horse burger?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Mexico

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

If you call marbling their uteri 'playing' then yes.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TLG James posted:

So what's the closest spot an American can go to get a nice horse steak and a horse burger?

Pet food shop.

As someone who's worked in the meat processing industry for a few different companies doing a few different kinds of animals for the last 10 years, the whole "logistically impossible" thing of processing horses is well, horse poo poo. Sure if you put a horse through a place setup to process cows like I think the previous poster assumed, it will causes huge problems, but there's pet food processes killing horses on a daily basis with no issues what's so ever. It's not done because there's no market for it in places like the US, which mostly boils down to people not wanting what they consider pets.

I don't want to go into any more detail though because this isn't the thread for it

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rudager posted:

I don't want to go into any more detail though because this isn't the thread for it

Are you sure? Because if we had a dedicated horse thread it'd just derail into financial talk, so why not derail the money thread with equine discussion.

Edit: of course, there is a dedicated horse thread in PI. At least two of them.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Are you sure? Because if we had a dedicated horse thread it'd just derail into financial talk, so why not derail the money thread with equine discussion.

Edit: of course, there is a dedicated horse thread in PI. At least two of them.

Let's go help them get loans!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Rythe posted:

How the heck is your BIL benefiting in this situation? Is he at least getting cheaper rent?

Rudager posted:

Pet food shop.

As someone who's worked in the meat processing industry for a few different companies doing a few different kinds of animals for the last 10 years, the whole "logistically impossible" thing of processing horses is well, horse poo poo. Sure if you put a horse through a place setup to process cows like I think the previous poster assumed, it will causes huge problems, but there's pet food processes killing horses on a daily basis with no issues what's so ever. It's not done because there's no market for it in places like the US, which mostly boils down to people not wanting what they consider pets.

Is it a leap to assume that food safety standards are at least a little more stringent for human consumption?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Barry posted:

Is it a leap to assume that food safety standards are at least a little more stringent for human consumption?

Like in actual written regulation? Yes. In practice? Nah, we're all eating contaminated hell-food created in The Jungle-esque pork torture houses and it would be no different for horses.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Another mishap in the life of my BWM MIL. She's a perpetually overworked nurse and recently cashed out some of her retirement account to pay for the final semester of my sister-in-law's college tuition (in Europe). Apparently she gave the wrong account number to her brokerage firm and they deposited $3000-4000 into not her bank account. The brokerage wasn't able to reverse the deposit, because the account holder withdrew the funds and closed their account. The bank is saying they can't do anything either. She's moping around like there's nothing that she can do.

She's pretty bad with money, but I shared that news story from a few pages back about the kid that blew a bunch of cash accidentally deposited into his account and went to jail, hopefully she'll be able to recover it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
She is getting taken for a ride or she is lying.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Barry posted:

How the heck is your BIL benefiting in this situation? Is he at least getting cheaper rent?

He gets the all natural scent off horses and hay ever so slightly in his house, im sure people would pay good money for that in a candle. Along with the random late night scare when a horse kicks the crap out of its stall.

He also gets no petting of the horses too.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 30, 2016

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
That entire side of the family is like playing the game telephone, so who knows.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Rythe posted:

He gets the all natural sent off horses and hay ever so slightly in his house, in sure people would pay good money for that in a candle. Along with the random late night scare when a house kicks the crap out of its stall.

I don't ever point out typoes like this but this was genuinely hard to parse. "sent off" -> "scent of" and it all makes sense.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't ever point out typoes like this but this was genuinely hard to parse. "sent off" -> "scent of" and it all makes sense.

God damned houses kicking their stalls.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I prefer free range houses. Ranch-style homes.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Rythe posted:

He gets the all natural sent off horses and hay ever so slightly in his house, in sure people would pay good money for that in a candle. Along with the random late night scare when a house kicks the crap out of its stall.

Why doesn't he just sneak in and pet them when everyone is asleep?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Well that's what I get for phone posting and autocorrect, good catches on my funny misspelled words.

I'm pretty sure the security cameras in the barn deter any petting. I wonder if the owner can charge more due to around the clock high security monitoring?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

NancyPants posted:

Why doesn't he just sneak in and pet them when everyone is asleep?

Because horses are dumb and one of them would probably freak out and kill itself when he startled it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A friend's girlfriend's best friend just found out her mom borrowed 20k in her daughter's name to redo her floors. And of course she won't call the cops so she's stuck with the debt.

Best part, it was student loan money - so it's lifetime debt. Not entirely sure how you get an extra 20k in loans for flooring. Maybe she was already getting student loan money and her mom went behind her back and got an extra dispersal.

Vahakyla posted:

She is getting taken for a ride or she is lying.

We've heard that same story before in this thread. A reddit kid had a legal settlement due to a childhood injury and when it came time to pay for his Freshmen college tuition his mom had this long convoluted story about a wire transfer going to the wrong account and 'WELP, GUESS ITS GONE!'

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

A friend's girlfriend's best friend just found out her mom borrowed 20k in her daughter's name to redo her floors. And of course she won't call the cops so she's stuck with the debt.

Best part, it was student loan money - so it's lifetime debt. Not entirely sure how you get an extra 20k in loans for flooring. Maybe she was already getting student loan money and her mom went behind her back and got an extra dispersal.

Wouldn't that loan money have had to go to the university? Or do they just make out checks to "Uncle Bubba's Discount Floor Emporium"?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Doesn't the student/horrible parent designate an account to deposit the additional loan money to? "Hey guys, my student loan "refund" came in!"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, that's how it works. And then you spend it on a down payment on a new car rather than paying down higher interest rate debt or living expenses.

Agile Sumo
Sep 17, 2004

It could take teams quite a bit of time to master.

monster on a stick posted:

Wouldn't that loan money have had to go to the university? Or do they just make out checks to "Uncle Bubba's Discount Floor Emporium"?

You just get a deposit into your account. There's nothing to keep you from spending it on anything you want. There's a reason every college bookstore is well stocked with overpriced MacBooks and Beats headphones.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've shared it in this thread before, but this is extra illegal if these are federal loans.
I know a guy who spent a couple years in prison for using federal student loan money to start a business, rather than go to school.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Mandingo posted:

Another mishap in the life of my BWM MIL. She's a perpetually overworked nurse and recently cashed out some of her retirement account to pay for the final semester of my sister-in-law's college tuition (in Europe). Apparently she gave the wrong account number to her brokerage firm and they deposited $3000-4000 into not her bank account. The brokerage wasn't able to reverse the deposit, because the account holder withdrew the funds and closed their account. The bank is saying they can't do anything either. She's moping around like there's nothing that she can do.

She's pretty bad with money, but I shared that news story from a few pages back about the kid that blew a bunch of cash accidentally deposited into his account and went to jail, hopefully she'll be able to recover it.

Did she do one of the following?

1. Wait several weeks for everything to clear before contesting anything?
2. Sent a notarized/medallion signature form to the brokerage for the withdrawal?
3. Use a wire transfer to move the money?
4. Have an account from a brokerage located in an abandoned warehouse in eastern Europe?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Rudager posted:

Pet food shop.

I consider pigs and cows pets and I find pork and beef delicious, while feeling minor guilt. I have never considered eating dog meat though. Horse sounds tasty on all accounts, and I also consider them pets. Hell my sisters horse and upkeep (and shows!) cost my parents way more than my education... Did I mention she was afraid of her horse after her second or third broken bone so she started riding another horse without selling hers, for maybe 3-4yrs? Cuz she did that too! At least she didn't either take her horse to college with her or buy another just for college while keeping the original horse at home for vacation riding - some of her girlfriends did!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
That is a little crazy, I waited until 5 years post-college before I bought my horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Mandingo posted:

I don't believe her story at all. Deposit errors happen really often. As in, so often that every bank has a very specific procedure in their big book of processes and procedures for recovering funds that have been sent to the wrong account. There isn't a (reputable) bank in the world that deposits funds into the wrong account and just shrugs and says, "Welp! I guess it's gone!"

Nobody ever gets to spend a wrong deposit into their account without consequences. It just doesn't work that way. I'd look into this further, if I were you.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 30, 2016

• Locked thread