Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acquilae
May 15, 2013

CuddleChunks posted:

This is a brand new way of thinking about money for me because until recently the idea was that you had to have credit card and car debt because otherwise you probably weren't an American.

I really don't like that American stereotype; the fiance and I are Indian and were both raised the same way with the save, invest, then spend hierarchy. Our parents both worked in medicine, were good friends, and despite living well-off the only thing they truly spoiled us with was to not have the burden of college loans. In my case, it wasn't until high school that I completely realized why my dad would be investing rather than treating himself to luxuries like his co-worker doctors.

We have friends who got married straight out of undergrad and now(we're 28) have kids who basically enslaved their parents. When they come over to chat, the main topic is usually over budget hardships and it's not hard to figure out when they do things like Disney World vacations EVERY year, have 3+ credit cards, and buy all this crap for their kids because "so and so bought x for their child and we want ours to be happy too."

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

_areaman posted:

I think one thing that's changed in America is that many young people refuse to accept being poor. They get expensive, questionable degrees and take jobs that pay little, then blow everything they earn on expensive clothes, organic groceries from whole foods, restaurants, etc. if they can't have the best, then it's not worth living.
I wouldn't call it a change; keeping up with the Joneses has always been an American tradition.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Blows my mind, man. You know there's got to be diminishing returns on those over-the-top weddings. Someone in the funding chain has to be thinking "that cake was cool, but it wasn't $2,000 cool."
I know someone putting together a stupid-expensive wedding by most anyone's standards, especially since one of them is currently (and chronically) unemployed and the other isn't doing much better. It's going to cost more than my entire college degree did, and knowing these people, it's really all just to impress other people.
You haven't seen stupid-expensive weddings like the way Indians do them; we don't have the bride and groom in a limo...they drive off in a brand new [insert luxury car] that both parents bought in addition to the other stupid-expensive gifts the attendants all buy them. One of my of my relatives a few years ago covered every flight ticket to New York and hotel booking for their son's wedding and I'm very certain that the entire bill reached almost 8 figures.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

ghostwriter80 posted:

Why isn't financial literacy a substantial aspect of the public education curriculum? Hell, I don't think financial literacy is in the public school curriculum at all. I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means but what reason can there possibly be for not including financial literacy, and education about money management, saving money, compound interest, debt, retirement accounts, investing, taxes, etc. to the general public from a very young age?
Our school district had consumer education as part of the graduation requirement and most people took it over summer (including myself). My class had a great teacher who worked in banking and while I was getting my mind blown about IRAs and the magic of compounding interest, it was easy to tell that most students seemed to blow everything off and it wouldn't surprise me if they forgot all the material the week after taking finals.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Uranium 235 posted:

And saving for a down payment is going to take time. Can you get a good house in a good neighborhood in Chicago for $250,000? Because I don't see how you can save up for a 20% down payment for anything more expensive than that in only 2 years. Well, actually I can see how--you'd have to move into a cheaper apartment.
In a good neighboorhood around Chicago? It's almost impossible. My parents bought our first house (2500sq. ft) in 1992 for $290k and after 8 years and about $50k for finishing the basement and remodeling the kitchen, sold it for $600,000 for a nicer house before I entered high school. Not to mention that property taxes are in the upper echelon in the good to well-off suburbs; the taxes for the house my fiance and I bought is over $10,000/year.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

TLG James posted:

I would have a car wash membership if I could get it for like the 2-3 months of winter driving.
The dealership we bought our SUV from does free car washes so see if yours offers that.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

So one of our friends asked for investing advice at the beginning of the month and I gave them my recommendations with the stocks I have in my IRA portfolio, writing only this on a piece of paper:

Pick 1: AAPL, INTC, IBM
Pick 1: COST, WMT, KRFT, K
Pick 1: LLY, JNJ
Pick 1: PG, UL
Pick 1: GE, BA, GM
Pick 1: XOM, CVX

Got a semi-angry call on Wednesday with friend's wife telling me I gave him "bad investment advice" and those stocks have been an aggregate +1% over the course of two weeks and with her 3 minutes of security analysis experience said it was a bad time to invest as the market was down.

She talked him into selling all the stocks, even CostCo which had a ~6% gain :negative:

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

So it's going to be fun to see their bill next month.
I want an update on this topic when that happens.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Uhm, I'm going to agree with the wife (for different reasons). Telling someone who has no idea what they're doing to buy individual stocks is the very definition of "bad investment advice".
Eh, he wanted a recommendation on stocks that gave a dividend instead of an index portfolio. I wasn't going to talk him into Tesla or some lottery stock.

• Locked thread