Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I really wanted him which sucks. I love transformers with interiors, but he never goes for under a hundo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

strangehamster posted:

Ohhhkaay....

BotCon is headed back to the Midwest in 2015, show to be held in St. Charles/Chicago, Illinois June 18th – June 21st!

Announced On The Day of TFCon.

Ha, right at this moment I'm staying literally opposite where BotCon is going to be, out in St. Charles. The Pheasant Run is a really nice place, all 60s country club style. Shame I'm not here when it's on.

The Walmart next to my hotel has Roadbuster and Skybyte in stock so I'm gonna go grab those later on today.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Hey goons I have arrived in Chicago and I am ready to talk about toys and drink. Might go see We Were Promised Jetpacks tonight. I don't think there are any Tfcon events tonight?

Also quick poll, which is worse:
- parts forming
- gorilla arms
- energon hips

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

TheDK posted:

Hey goons I have arrived in Chicago and I am ready to talk about toys and drink. Might go see We Were Promised Jetpacks tonight. I don't think there are any Tfcon events tonight?

- parts forming
- gorilla arms
- energon hips

Well that's easy: gorilla arms. Partsforming can be useful if done right, and Energon hips are occasionally unavoidable due to transformation. There's never a good reason for gorilla arms.

I would probably not refuse to buy a figure over gorilla arms but I see why people hate them so much.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I just checked in to the hotel, there are girls here! (For the supernatural con)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheDK posted:

- parts forming
- gorilla arms
- energon hips

Some of my favorite Transformers have energon hips.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Phy posted:

Some of my favorite Transformers have energon hips.

Do they lie?

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Keldroc posted:

Well that's easy: gorilla arms. Partsforming can be useful if done right, and Energon hips are occasionally unavoidable due to transformation. There's never a good reason for gorilla arms.

I would probably not refuse to buy a figure over gorilla arms but I see why people hate them so much.

The only excuse for partsforming is for something that is an accessory in both modes, i.e., something that, if it were missing, you would still have a complete robot or a complete alt mode. Combiners and power-suits (Ultra Magnus) get a free pass.

Partsforming, when done wrong, is so much worse than the worst case of gorilla arms. Hell, while a pain in the rear end, gorilla arms can often be fixed. Figures with partsforming are so fundamentally screwed there is no fixing them.

Shellforming might deserve a place in the poll, btw.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
There was certainly enough room on BW Megatron for some kind of fold-out hand.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

There was certainly enough room on BW Megatron for some kind of fold-out hand.

The first few non-transmetal waves were kind of a mixed bag.

Both Optimus and Megatron were solid figures, but then you had stuff like Rhinox which nobody can explain why he is so bad.

Not only that but Grimlock having gold plastic syndrome, the "mutant" heads which were never fully explained, the pack in comic having nothing to do with the TV show, and repaints of the same figures in the original wave(Basic Megatron and Iguanis).

I still think the color scheme for BW grimlock was cool and would probably serve another more modern dinosaur figure well if they didn't use cheap gold plastic.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 24, 2014

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

catch22 posted:

The only excuse for partsforming is for something that is an accessory in both modes, i.e., something that, if it were missing, you would still have a complete robot or a complete alt mode. Combiners and power-suits (Ultra Magnus) get a free pass.

I do not understand this parts forming hate. If you don't lose your accesories, it's not a problem. It's been used for great effect in a lot of cases (UM, Omega Supreme, a few BW deluxes, like cheetor). It also teaches kids responsibilities, you want a fully transforming UM, look after your poo poo.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

catch22 posted:

Partsforming, when done wrong, is so much worse than the worst case of gorilla arms. Hell, while a pain in the rear end, gorilla arms can often be fixed. Figures with partsforming are so fundamentally screwed there is no fixing them.

Yeah, no. Omega Supreme was one of my favorite toys as a kid, because he was like a puzzle. I have also never lost any pieces of a partsformer, so I'm not worried about that aspect. I can't really think of a partsformer I dislike, unless you count RiD Omega Prime, which is mainly just due to how complicated it gets; the end result is awesome.

quote:

Shellforming might deserve a place in the poll, btw.

PRiD Vehicon, probably the most universally beloved TFP toy, is a shellformer. So again, as with anything in design, it's about doing it well. Gorilla arms are bad design. Partsforming and shellforming are design choices, whose success or failure depend on execution.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Preordered MP Skywarp because you cannot go wrong with silver+black+purple. Never.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I can forgive shellforming if the shell itself ends up looking good on the figure. Like Mammoth Prime or Brawn/Outback.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Keldroc posted:

PRiD Vehicon, probably the most universally beloved TFP toy, is a shellformer. So again, as with anything in design, it's about doing it well. Gorilla arms are bad design. Partsforming and shellforming are design choices, whose success or failure depend on execution.

I could see why you would call him a shellformer, but really all of the "shell" folds away very neatly into anatomically appropriate legs. That to me is not a shellformer. When I think shellformer I think of the BWII/Neo guys who had enormous Penguin/Triceratop/Giraffe torsos for shoulder pads and horse legs sticking out their back. If all of the poo poo has somewhere to go on the toy instead of just hanging off of it somewhere I don't think it's really shellformer.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

LightsGameraAction posted:

I could see why you would call him a shellformer, but really all of the "shell" folds away very neatly into anatomically appropriate legs. That to me is not a shellformer. When I think shellformer I think of the BWII/Neo guys who had enormous Penguin/Triceratop/Giraffe torsos for shoulder pads and horse legs sticking out their back. If all of the poo poo has somewhere to go on the toy instead of just hanging off of it somewhere I don't think it's really shellformer.

It absolutely is a shellformer, it's just a well-designed one. Almost the entire car mode is just a shell that fits over the robot parts, like any shellformer, but PRiD finds a much better way to fold and store the shell than probably any other shellformer in the brand's history. Same idea, smarter execution.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Is it a shellformer if the "shell" itself collapses into the robot mode and leaves no kibble?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Keldroc posted:

It absolutely is a shellformer, it's just a well-designed one. Almost the entire car mode is just a shell that fits over the robot parts, like any shellformer, but PRiD finds a much better way to fold and store the shell than probably any other shellformer in the brand's history. Same idea, smarter execution.

If I understand shellformers correctly, perhaps a good way to underline your point is that the PRID Vehicon is Gallant and AOE Galvatron is Goofus. They both have the same basic "trick" but one is one of the best deluxes ever and the other is a pile of crap.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
TFcon Chicago peoples: let's meet up, here are some details
- room 2736
- text 919-386-9616

Text me and we can laugh about robots and watch TF-related youtubes and such.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sure, that works.

Text: 225-978-9729
iMessage/whatsapp: +447930154679

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 25, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

AoE Crosshairs is a pretty cool shellformer :shobon:

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Anora posted:

It's been used for great effect in a lot of cases (UM, Omega Supreme, a few BW deluxes, like cheetor).

Keldroc posted:

Yeah, no. Omega Supreme was one of my favorite toys as a kid, because he was like a puzzle.

catch22 posted:

Omega Supreme is a combiner as far as I'm concerned. I'm fine with figures whose gimmick is parts-forming, and it's not just a random limb or something that needs to be removed and put somewhere else because the designers were lazy. I can't immediately think of a Transformer-brand example with the exception of "shields" which is more often than not lame, though Roadbots are a good example of "bad" partsforming, or Daca Toys Kronos (the backpack isn't such a big deal, but the other bits that require it on that toy).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tomy collaborated with a robotics company to make an actual transforming robot. Here's the result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vejWWwt4UE

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Wish I could make it to Chicago and chill with you dudes.

I might go to Chicago next year instead of Toronto because I've never been. This year's TFCon Toronto was kind of an off year compared to the last two. Unfortunate things happened to folks and there was just an overall sense of unpleasantness and bad vibes that kind of dampened my mood. Plus while my roommate this year was a nice kid, he was just kind of quiet and not super fun.

I figure if I take a year off then go there for 2016 it's be fresh for me again.

Also partformers are totally kosher as long as they can store all their parts in both modes. Then I'm cool with it.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Wish I could make it to Chicago and chill with you dudes.

I might go to Chicago next year instead of Toronto because I've never been. This year's TFCon Toronto was kind of an off year compared to the last two. Unfortunate things happened to folks and there was just an overall sense of unpleasantness and bad vibes that kind of dampened my mood. Plus while my roommate this year was a nice kid, he was just kind of quiet and not super fun.

I figure if I take a year off then go there for 2016 it's be fresh for me again.

Also partformers are totally kosher as long as they can store all their parts in both modes. Then I'm cool with it.
gently caress dude I just assumed you would be here, drat, was looking forward to hanging out. Do we have a list of goons with tables so I know from which tables I need to buy things?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

TheDK posted:

gently caress dude I just assumed you would be here, drat, was looking forward to hanging out. Do we have a list of goons with tables so I know from which tables I need to buy things?

I wanted to go but I just can't afford two cons in a single year anymore. Plus I don't get that many vacation days. :(

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

TheDK posted:

I'm on the inside corner booth next to captured prey and fans project core

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 25, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

strangehamster posted:

I'm on the inside corner booth next to captured prey and fans project core
Quickly, acquire a boombox and play bro team rap til the area belongs to you.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Spiderdrake posted:

Quickly, acquire a boombox and play bro team rap til the area belongs to you.

Everyone selling here is pretty hardcore selling poo poo, I'm just dicking around with one table and one van of toys?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Why cookie Rocket posted:

If I understand shellformers correctly, perhaps a good way to underline your point is that the PRID Vehicon is Gallant and AOE Galvatron is Goofus. They both have the same basic "trick" but one is one of the best deluxes ever and the other is a pile of crap.

Sorry, Galvatron is also fun :colbert:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

AoE Galvatron's only major problem is his lack of paint. The Takara version fixed that. Or you can fix that yourself if you have the skill and time.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Blackheart posted:

Yeah, AoE Galvatron is a good figure, as is PRiD Vehicon. His lack of paint-apps is sad and dissapointing, but he's a fun figure.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yep after some silver and minor metallic detailing my appreciation for him went up a lot. It's actually impressive how much he compresses his "shell" and he's very decently articulated (ball-jointed head voyagers are rare). It's sad that Mega/Galvatron tend to get the shaft when it comes to paint apps budget, Prime Megs is similarly nice when painted silver.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
AOE Galavtron would be better if the vehicle cab was blue and the trailer hitch area was red. And when he transformed his robot body would be yellow and black with some blue around his wrists and ankles.

What I'm saying is with a new head he would make the perfect Longtooth.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

One bar is full the other is empty?

Kinda bored...

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 25, 2014

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Blackheart posted:

I'm not saying he isn't "fun" but if you're into clever transformations he's just another rear end in a top hat wearing his alt mode on his back.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

When is Brainstorm supposed to be available?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I'm not saying he isn't "fun" but if you're into clever transformations he's just another rear end in a top hat wearing his alt mode on his back.

But that's just it, for being a complete shameless Shellformer, the way that shell manages to compress is actually very clever and unique.

The MSJ posted:

It was originally coming in October, so it should start showing up in the usual places (Malaysia, Hong Kong etc) any day now, and in the US a while later.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The MSJ posted:

Amazon says January. I'm not worried about finding him, people were saying Roadbuster and Skybyte would be hard to find and I've seen them at a half dozen stores now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

strangehamster posted:

Everyone selling here is pretty hardcore selling poo poo, I'm just dicking around with one table and one van of toys?

I know several shops are there. And a group selling their departed friend's collection to pay his funeral expenses.