Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Random thought of the day: Why did the Decepticons get so many better figures than the Autobots in the Unicron Trilogy? Energon is the only one where there was any kind of explanation with the dumbass engineering of the Autobots figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Keldroc posted:

Nah, Prime is fine, with moments that reveal how good it really could have been if it hadn't been so in love with its own status quo. And most of IDW is head and shoulders above any of the other non-BW fiction in the brand's history. MTMTE may be the pinnacle, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Prime is exactly what Beast Wars would have been if Transformers was as financially successful back then as it is now. Realizing that has the unfortunate side effect of putting into perspective the enormous wasted potential of the show. It has some truly great moments but is so obviously burdened by the weight of a panel of shareholders having the final say in the show and the writers do their best to accentuate that by making the show so bizarrely dark.

If nothing else Prime puts to rest the idea that the movies being terrible is the fault of anyone but Michael Bay.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Can you demonstrate a point in the show you felt can be clearly attributed to being 'written by committee' or 'beholder to shareholders'?

Because I honestly end up feeling like its spasms of mediocrity come from the opposite end of the spectrum. For one thing it's a terrible vehicle for selling toys, especially when contrasted with the actual lines and assortments.

Mostly it's endless obsession with pointless fetch quests that pad out what would otherwise be fairly tight seasons in an attempt to maintain status quo at all costs.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

SpikeMcclane posted:

Nah, that was 2007. 2004, Botcon wasn't an offical, hasbro backed event. The exclusive was an unlicensed KO of an actionmaster. It was also the first funpub botcon.

Supposedly this is the back cover of the program book this year:

Good job with that adspace, Robot Kingdom.

What about the 25th anniversary?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
I've still barely seen the second wave of Kreons. I saw them in one Toys R Us once. Everywhere else I know is still carrying the first wave.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Pics of the rest of the botcon exclusives got leaked. More CHUG seeker repaints, but Sandstorm comes with a repaint of the CHUG kup mold as Electro which is pretty cool.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Do any of you guys collect those Kabaya combiner figures? I'm wondering what the quality is like there.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Given what an unbelievable man child Bay supposedly is, had Cullen spoken up at all he'd probably have been instantly replaced by like... Martin Lawrence or Charlie Sheen or someone.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

No Your Other Left posted:

Has there been a single TRU Masterpiece release that wasn't utterly bungled? They order absurdly small quantities, have horrible distribution, get the stock scalped by employees, and now this.

Grimlock and Rodimus were oddly enough fairly well distributed and I saw them on the shelves for months. Same thing with Thundercracker, but that had more to do with the almost $20 price jump that took place in the middle of the things shelf life. I've still to this day only seen the new MP Prime once ever.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Keldroc posted:

That's due to two things. First, a large chunk of the fandom likes Black Zarak a whole lot more than Scorponok, for reasons I have yet to really understand. I just hope it doesn't make Takara decide to reissue Black Zarak as an Encore before/instead of Scorponok. Second, Black Zarak is arguably the most notorious sufferer of Gold Plastic Syndrome, and it's not uncommon to find that Black Zaraks' gold pieces have crumbled while still in a sealed box. Therefore a MISB Black Zarak is an interesting collector's item, because what's inside it could be broken and worthless, or it could be one of the most sought-after figures in the franchise's history due to how few intact ones survive. So you end up with people who keep that box sealed, because as long as it's sealed, it might not have succumbed to GPS. It's like Schroedinger's Transformer. It's both worthless and super valuable. Opening it forces it into one state or the other, so most people choose to keep the box sealed.

I find it funny that the numerous reports that it is often cracked and broken inside of MISB packages actually manages to make it somehow more valuable instead of altogether worthless. Like there is literally no way of telling unless you open the box and are met with disappointment, so a whole bunch of people decided never to open the boxes and just throw money around on a theoretical reality. It's like playing the stock market but somehow more and less secure all at once.

EDIT: What would you even do if you did find a perfect one? You'd basically have to immediately seal it in a hermetic bubble and never, ever take it out just to be safe.

LightsGameraAction fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 10, 2013

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Silhouette posted:

I hope that CHUG Metroplex sells well so that CHUG Scorponok becomes a possibility.

I'm hoping for both a CHUG and an encore, with any luck.

Also I'd kind of like an Encore Monstructor, or some kind of update of that mold maybe, considering he was another pretty terrible GPS sufferer and he's been featured a lot in the comics lately.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

The CHUG Sky Lynx shaped hole in my life will not stand for much longer.

Agreed. They chose the worst drat Beast Hunters mold to homage him too.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I had a Pyro, one of the only G1 era toys I owned other than some Micromasters cars. Had I known that GPS was a thing, I'd have bought a Headmaster instead.

I have G1 Bristleback (the green and gold griffin guy from Monstructor) that I've owned since a child and ironically as much as I've heard about GPS being a huge deal with the figure, the only part that broke on him so far is one of his wings which snapped clean off and was molded in green plastic.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Honest Ray posted:

I actually love the Space Cadillac FoC one. I think it's a cool looking Cybertronian alt mode plus the robot mode is so drat Shockwavey. I will agree that Shockwave is overall a super cool looking robot first and a transformer second as far as his figures go. I also always thought turning into a gun was kind of retarded.

A gun which inexplicably didn't mass-shift like Megatron's did. He was just a big ol' flying space gun.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

SpikeMcclane posted:

It's R63 Armada Starscream. That's great, because it's silly enough on it's own, but also, no matter what they do with her, it's going to be hilarious to me to watch people react with vitriol.

Aren't they just making a toy of her? I didn't think she was actually being written into any fiction.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

SpikeMcclane posted:

Grab your popcorn. Harmony Gold is sueing Hasbro over Jetfire.

The original Jetfire? Isn't it about 30 years too late for that?

Or the classics one?

I'm just confused as to why now of all times.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

And WHERE'S A loving DECENT GALVATRON GUYS?!?

It's pretty amazing how any given Optimus figure will come out or what have you and a dozen third party companies will have already jumped on making replacement stacks and a more "G1-accurate" gun and all that bullshit but everybody, Takara and Hasbro included, looks at that horrendous classics Galvatron and apparently goes "eh, close enough".

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
I still haven't snagged a blitzwing but he kinda sounds like a shitpiece with all these problems. Think I'll pass and see if Doubledealer fixes any of these issues.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Does anyone have any of those alternate-combination schemes for the Kre-O combiners if you managed to get the 5th member? I wanna beef up my Predaking.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know, I never thought of that, as just like Ultra Magnus, Star Saber is a guy wearing a suit. Or, in Star Saber's case, a guy wearing a suit that's wearing a suit, so he's wearing like 2 layers.

My current theory is that when this all comes out in the wash Drift winds up donning the Star Saber suit. That is if in fact Saber's deal is the same as UM's.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

The idea of the US army building Dinobot mechs really amuses me. I love the idea of some general sitting around in the pentagon going "gently caress yeah! Our troops piloting robot dinosaurs! gently caress practicality, that's loving awesome! Besides, the shareholders over at General Dynamics think this is a fantastic idea, too and handed me this briefcase full of cash so I'd give it my blessing." The US Government then spends untold billions of taxpayer dollars to make said dino-tanks, which in practice are walking death traps that are huge targets for terrorists with RPGs and will topple over and explode for no good reason.

I'm going to love watching a movie where the US Military has reverse-engineered Decepticon weaponry and not only will Optimus probably be totally cool with it because "It's their right to be prepared" or blah-blah some poo poo, but also the fact that this would obviously be enormously catastrophic for the balance of power around the world will probably be ignored in favor of "Look how cool the Army is NOW!"

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Now that is interesting, there being a Rewind figure out earlier this year. Any word on a mould?

It's the Reveal The Shield Rumble/Frenzy tank mold that never made it to shelves in America but had a run in Japan under the United toyline.

In other words, expect it to be the most expensive after-market figure of the TFCC exclusives next year.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Hey guys, I finally set myself up with a paypal account and I'm gearing up to sell a bunch of my collection, it's gonna take me a while to get through everything but I figure I'd throw some stuff up here first. I just have a few quick questions for the ones of you that have done this sort of thing before. Mainly dealing with how you cover shipping/what is the best shipping option to use for sending tf's and what you guys would consider good etiquette for making these transactions go down. Also where can I host images to upload into my post?

Also I hate to be like this but nobody get too excited yet, most of the stuff I'll be selling right away is newer, as I need to get rid of it for space/money reasons. Also I'm hecka-busy on the weekdays so I'll obviously need you guys to exercise some patience with me. That said the faster you guys help me out the faster I can start throwing stuff up.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Was that on fast forward or something? That seems like an incredibly short stage for an arcade rail shooter. Especially since it costs $1.50 a play now or however much.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Knormal posted:

I'm going to guess there was a mistranslation somewhere along the way and the dragon mode is actually a dragon boat. There's no way they're trying to pass that off as an actual beast mode. There's a slightly clearer pic here, they didn't even try to give it hind legs. Also that's quite an impressive random chest shelf Optimus is sporting.

It looks like a Web Diver figure exploded over an Optimus Prime figure, but not in a good way.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Online? Because I'll be hosed if I ever wait in line on BF for anything.

Especially in Walmart. I really want a $60 Metroplex, but not if I'm gonna get my rear end stabbed over looking at somebody's shopping cart the wrong way.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

GrimGypsy posted:

I don't know if a lot of you guys are hopelessly addicted to TF Kreons like I am, but I just found This and This.

The first one is a preview of a new wave, including Rodimus, Rhinox, and Cyclonus. The second is a preview of the two new combiners: Computron and Menasor.

So, you know, it's neat.

Menasor looks surprisingly cool in Kreon form, and I really want that Rodimus but I have terrible luck with their blind-bags.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Going off of that list, it mentions two "TRA" figures. What could those be? Last I checked that stood for Transformers: Animated.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

strangehamster posted:

There are an awful lot of loose Beast Wars Neo Big Convoy figures on eBay being shipped out of Korea, it's safe to assume they're KO's? http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=Transformers+Beast+Wars+Neo+Big+Convoy&_sop=15

Going by the box it's the same kind I bought years ago and it's just as good quality wise as the Universe Nemesis Prime version Hasbro released a couple years after that.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'm going to say that there's a pretty good chance of generations Leader Jetfire and Megatron being two original molds. They already made Metroplex the largest transformer ever for Generations, so what's two original leader figures?

It makes sense for jetfire to get a leader figure because then he'll be in proper G1 Toy scale to the rest of the figures. :colbert:

That and he was a tall guy on the show. Either way he's going to tower over his voyager figure, which is a pretty good rendition of the character in itself.

Considering the lawsuit with Harmony Gold is over I hope they design the figure to basically wag the middle finger at them as much as possible.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

WendigoJohnson posted:

Thy already did this recently with the SDCC GI Joe Jetfire vehicle.

The Original classics one even had a removable helmet to mimic the Valkyrie face.

I thought the SDCC Joe exclusive was the reason Harmony Gold brought the lawsuit to begin with.

Anyway, I'm just hoping they continue the proud tradition.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

WendigoJohnson posted:

Hardhead is using the warpath mold. Which I really don't have a problem with, the warpath mold is awesome.

Really? I like the mold too but I'm ready for a visually distinct Hardhead already.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Man I thought I was the only person who liked Garnak! But yeah I liked the ring tone, that panel, the Whirl X-man line and Prowl's shot at the dinobots was good.

Very mixed bag - The crossover itself seems pointless but the writing around it seems good?
Debatable as that particular consideration might be, the problem is each time they come back to the Dead Universe and its cast they shave off another layer of Furman's subtly and replace it further ham fisted characterization. Like, Nova was defined as something of a racist who yearned to go elsewhere and expand - Furman's line was fantastic, 'He had a certain moral ambiguity when it came to the Cybertronian ideal'. Furman described the earlier primes as assholes but didn't really go over the line. Now he's like some bizarre matrix reaping whackjob who flies into the Dead Universe because he's crazy.

Also there's a serious plotting problem with Jhiaxus' communication to Shockwave, and the last page reveal is a wet fart on the Furman-scale.

Man I completely forgot how all that dead universe poo poo wrapped up in the past. Could you remind me just quickly what happened to each of the crew again?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

The worst thing GD is it's been concluded repeatedly and none of this makes any sense. If you wanna use the Dead Universe again, maybe you should actually build a convincing reason that it's being used again? They seriously jammed two or three unrelated plot threads together and walked away from it after going 'good enough'. I genuinely want Barber to explain at some point the relation between the combiner project, using stolen data from Monstructor, the regenesis project, the dead universe, the two separate groups of titan hunters, and how any of this poo poo lines up.

And yeah, police action was fantastic. Can we return to special ops "murdering police and leaving cripples in the desert" Jazz and buddy-cop Streetwise with a groaning Prowl as his partner? edit: this isn't sarcasm, Jazz as a dude who can get poo poo done while still being a light-hearted character explicitly defined as for the benefit of others really works for me. I really recommend people dig up the spotlight of him taking on all 5 Predacons with a blind Tracks.
Galvatron - Perished in a solar pool on Garrus-9, resurrected by dark matrix, died at the end of Chaos, apparently resurrected here?
Cyclonus - Punched out by Pretenders (seriously! Furman used these! And they were good!) Survived outside the dead universe too long, was melting down crewmembers when 'resurrected' by the dark matrix, fought alongside Galvatron (they're mad at him for invading Kimia with sweeps and slaughtering non-combatants btw) then punched out Galvatron for hurting Cybertron. Re-formatted by Vector Sigma. Was specifically classified as a non-Decepticon by Chaos, but no one remembers this
Scourge - Presumed dead on Cybertron at the end of Chaos. No further mention, seems to have been literally the only casualty of the entire event.
Nova Prime - Died at the end of Furman's run, killed by Galvatron who appears beside him in this issue. Taunted Galvatron from the Dead Universe during the series no one should read. Resurrected here supposedly (though note Galvatron calls him Nova, when I think he was going by Nemesis previously?)
Straxus - Died on Earth from Dead Universe withdrawl syndrome or whatever. Never mentioned again.
Grindcore - Same as above. Another great design/name they forget to use.
Tailpipe - Melted in a smelting pool or turned into a sweep. No one will ever know your secret, Tailgate!
Bludgeon - Somehow had his brain damage from the Pretender process fixed and now works for Jhiaxus
Jhiaxus - Killed by Arcee an infinite number of times in Revelation. Somehow got back to Cybertron because the Autobots have serious issues with prisoner policy. He will die at the end of this crossover.
Kup - Is in the Dead Universe and will likely come back as old, pre-AHM/pretender Kup. Which is honestly poo poo, gently caress reverting character arcs

Ah thanks... that's all really confusing. I mean I remembered what happened in the original Chaos event, I forgot how everyone wound up where they are now.

Every time the Dead Universe has been brought up I've thought that the end game for it was Unicron. Then instead they had all the Decepticons combine into a big demon thing called D-void except for Megatron because he's overpowered far beyond the point of being interesting anymore in the IDW-verse. Maybe they'll do it this time.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Knormal posted:

I really don't mind them making simpler Transformers for the kiddie lines, it makes a nice sweet spot between Rescue-bot level babby Transformers and the ones for older kids and manchildren, but I have a hard time supporting them charging the same price for them. No way that costs the same to make as something like Blitzwing or Springer.

I agree. Also, I didn't know they were making more of the deluxes other than Bumblebee, Twinstrike, and Smokescreen. If I could get a super-sized Abominus out of this I'd actually be down with it.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

WendigoJohnson posted:

I think we can forgive Grimlock since it's also being re-used as Beast Wars Megatron. That and every single other voyager has been done really well.

But yeah Rhinox transforms exactly like in the TV show. Now I really want to know who his retool is going to be. G1 Headstrong would probably be the most obvious, but the rhino head looks like it's able to be replaced without any hard effort in hurting the transformation process. So maybe Horri-Bull?

So far they haven't reused any of the CHUG Beast Wars molds. I don't really mind, I wouldn't really want an organic-looking Headstrong or Horri-bull.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

The Rage posted:

Flip it over and look at the bottom

By that logic almost every not-masterpiece Starscream toy is garbage.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Secht posted:

I just watched Peaugh review the Unique toys 3 pack Sharkies. Always had a sweet spot for the G1 figure but only own one. They seem a little short but look fantastic in shark mode. I was secretly hoping we'd get a new mold during 30th but I guess that's unlikely. Anyway, for any Sharkticon fans out there, they look cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmtjSlydhSM

Gnaw is getting a new figure in the Legends class(?) line for the 30th. The ones that come with mini-con partners.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

It can be done, although I've never been able to get it stuck on tight. It's a very loose grip, and not worth it.

EDIT: Actually, that's holding pretty well now. Huh.

I never got it to work with Sunstreaker or Sideswipe but it works for my Red Alert for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Toys R Us mark-ups have actually brought us to a place where third party figures are priced reasonably in-line with their mainline contemporaries.