Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Literally my reaction upon seeing these images just now:

This. Rhinox looks to be Masterpiece-caliber. I don't see how it could be improved.

Now all we need is a) pictures of Whirl, b) any mention of Rung, and c) the TF4 toyline held off until July '14 at the earliest.

GD_American posted:

I've never bought 3rd party weapons but I'm pretty sure My First Blaster is gonna get bought

Wait what?

e:

TFCC posted:

- Next year's membership sign-up exclusive will be Protoform X aka Beast Wars Rampage in a pre-Beast Wars style.

Well this could be pretty g

quote:

He will have a new head, and will be a remold of Transformers Prime First Edition Megatron

:ughh:

(This is the appropriate reaction right? Or am I thinking of that other CHUG two-pack with the terrible Prime and Megs?)

Optimist Prime fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Keldroc posted:

So that black and silver truck that we thought was probably Motormaster? Yeah, probably Nemesis Prime, it turns out. Which I guess is obvious in hindsight.

So is the Bayverse version of Nemesis Prime actually, like, a really swell guy who hates conflict?

In other news--

Budora :allears:

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

So I've been rewatching Beast Wars on Netflix (currently on the Rampage debut in Season Two). Having not watched any other series (not even G1 :blush: ) I'm just looking for proper confirmation that:

1) The BW Season 2 Predacons are the greatest faction/alliance/whatever in Transformers history
2) Tarantulas is the greatest, period, and should have his own wing in the TF Hall of Fame
3) The Tarantulas/Blackarachnia arc in Seasons 1 & 2 - Tarantulas is basically a goon who makes himself a girlfriend and tries to control her remotely - is (again, just guessing here) the only really tactful exploration of female agency and identity in the entirety of TF fiction

Seriously, how did no one remind me how amazing Tarantulas is, I haven't watched most of these since I was 8 and the most vivid memory I had from the Predacon side is Waspinator's Flight of the Bumblebee music. (Waspinator is still great BTW)

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Man, you gotta get a Transmetals Tarantulas somehow. Spiderbike owns!

I had one as a kid, but he lost at least half of his limbs. However, there is an extra TM Tarantulas sitting in storage somewhere, still sealed...

quote:

He was a great secondary villain in how he had his own agenda, wasn't an idiot like Starscream and didn't give a single gently caress about what Megatron said or did.
I like to think that his placement at the very end of the opening credits (which are ONE MINUTE LONG in Season Two because why the gently caress not) was a tacit acknowledgement from the writing staff that Tarantulas had effectively become a third-party entity and de facto #3 character after Optimus and Megs.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

(Inferno is still the best though.)
And this guy. Jesus Christ, how does this guy not have a Waspinator-level cult following? He even has his own catchphrase!

A new Voyager Inferno on par with Generations Rhinox would be the best thing. Maybe at NYCC...?

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

TFCon people, if you are interested in any of these items let me know today because I will be packing this evening:

*Botcon Clench
*Botcon Streetwise
*Botcon Sky-byte
*Universe Hardheard w/ Headrobots add-on kit
*Alternity Starscream
*Alternity Black Megatron
*THS 02 Convoy

How about a price check on Clench? I'll be at TFCon on Saturday.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

$90, which is cheaper than any of them on eBay.

Sounds reasonable. What about the condition (bagged, complete, etc.)?

strangehamster posted:

Email me or PM me for a list of toys for sale and trade, I would bring a few to TF Con also.

Done.

I should probably mention that I've got a few loose Transformers I'm looking to unload (Universe 2.0/Generations/DOTM), along with TFCC Side Burn and Cheetor. Been looking for anything in particular? Feel free to ask or DM!

(and if anyone had a Henkei Dinobot they were tired of keeping around, that'd be terrific)

Optimist Prime fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 23, 2013

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Still in the bag, has all parts, bio card, never been opened. One of my hotel roommates at the con has also expressed interest in it, but he's been a little flaky regarding it and isn't sure he wants to put $90 down on it, but if he doesn't decide to bite (and it doesn't seem like he will) it's yours.

Sounds good, just send me a message if anything changes.

Re: the MP Fans' Choice Poll - Should I assume that Optimus Primal is hosed because the voting is Japan-only and their version of Beast Wars was a joke? If so, :dawkins101:

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Blackheart posted:

But those are from the BH line, and none of those have light or sounds. In fact all of the BH voyagers are pretty decent if not great. Grimwing is like, fantastic if you manage to lock his torso together, which requires a little tinkering.

Really? Even in bot mode?

Keldroc posted:

I certainly wouldn't say BF Predaking is as bad as that horrendous brick of a Scourge mold. That guy was one of the things that convinced me to stop randomly impulse buying Unicron Trilogy stuff. BF Predaking could just be so much better. All the Predacons are a disappointment in the BH line, in my opinion. Even ones whose basic design is pretty cool like Ripclaw have that awful smattering of yellow paint that I guess is supposed to be highlighting but mostly just looks like a mistake. ...

So much wrong with this post. Agreed on Ripclaw's yellow bits, tho.

TFCon! TFCon was awesome and everyone on the east coast should go next year. Kind of glad I didn't bring more cash, or I'm certain I would've caved on BW Neo Thrustor, RID Cryotek, TFCC Depthcharge, etc. But I still got Energon Shockblast MIB for $40 (:toot:), United Nemesis Prime, and MakeToys Chaos/Paladin.

Shockblast looks terrific in bot mode, but then there's the jiggliness of the torso due to lack of adjoining tabs to hold it together. It's a painful reminder that back in '05 Hasbro was still digging its way out of the dark ages engineering-wise. Nemesis Prime is utterly fantastic if you're into that sort of thing; Classics Prime doesn't get enough love as a standalone piece, sans trailer. And Chaos has got to be the best deal in 3rd-party figures right now. For $80 you can make two Scout-sized vehicles OR one vehicle and one Scout-sized robot OR one bulky Voyager-sized robot who is ready to wreck some serious poo poo. Aside from the usual sharp edges and pointy corners, the quality of the plastic seems to be equal to anything Hasbro has put out, if not better. Don't miss the boat on this one.

Also: which one of you goons asked James Roberts how he managed to make Drift likeable?

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Keldroc posted:

There is no defense for Scourge. Beast mode is an indistinct brick due to its gimmicks, and in fact I was reminded of him by BF Predaking for exactly that reason. Robot mode is back-heavy and not particularly memorable. Like a couple of the BH Predacons, they've used some cool coloring for the Scourge mold over the years, but as an actual figure he's awful. I get why people love a few of the Unicron Trilogy toys, but I have never understood why people flip their poo poo over that mold. I was horribly disappointed after I impulse bought Scourge and eventually gave him away to a friend's kid just because I didn't want it in the house anymore. I have high standards for my dragon and dragon-like Transformers after TM2 Megatron.

FWIW, Scourge was the first Transformer I bought after bailing circa 2000, post-Beast Wars. Before I got him, I didn't even realize beastformers were still a thing. So sentimental value probably has a lot to do with it.

Blackheart posted:

Mine is still OK, I think I transformed him last year just to see what'd happen, but yeah he stays in robot mode for now. I still fiddle with Tarantulas, TM Scavenger, Manterror and Tripredacus regularly because I love those guys. Rampage is also great, I mean what's not to like with a monstrous shiny king crab gatling-gun tank.

gently caress yes to Scavenger/Inferno, I just replaced my old one (which was trashed beyond belief) with the Takara version at TFCon. Dude's got the evillest grin. I actually kind of wish "Deluxe Plus" was still an active size class for new TFs.

I didn't replace Rampage because I stumbled upon BotCon Shokaract for $60 a few weeks ago, and he's just as good. Honestly, most of the Transmetals Predacons hold up just fine. All those spindly insect limbs just gave the designers an excuse to up the number of ball joints, so they're more poseable than lots of post-2007 releases. The only update we really need is Megs, and... well, we're supposed to be getting one. Whatever happened to those test shots?

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

So TFCC released photos of the painted prototypes for Transmutate and Protoform X but all I want to talk about is MMC's Nova Prime because holy poo poo

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/3rd-party-unlicensed-41/mastermind-creations-seraph-prominion-nova-prime-178183/

I didn't give a drat about Hexatron but now I need him to sell out, immediately.* Whatever it takes for this thing to get made.

*unless he already did

Optimist Prime fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 8, 2013

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Not that it surprises me, but there are plenty of people in the TFW thread hating on that Nova Prime. I think it looks pretty neat? Don't really care much for the character though. I'm still waiting on that MT Chaos Paladin however, did it get some mad delay?

There were plenty available at TFCon. Not sure why BBTS et al are still waiting on their shipments. I highly recommend it, tho, whenever it shows up.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Skybyte and Rattrap

Speaking of: what are the odds of these two being in the Generations lineup next year? The last left-field addition to the RID roster was Waspinator, and, well...

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

MTMTE was excellent as usual. I can't be the only one who thought of Inception during Skids' backstory explanation, right?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Simon Furman wrote the last couple episodes of Beast Wars. I think that's just because Transformers fans really loved him at the time, though.

Hey, about Beast Wars...

I finished (re)watching the series for the first time since I was in second grade. A few thoughts:

-Season Two is easily the strongest, although I'd only label a handful of episodes as "bad", and most of those are buried early in S1 (e.g., the one where all the Maximals think they're actually animals).

-"Code of Hero" is indeed fantastic, but "The Agenda" (pts. 1-3) is so obviously the pinnacle of the series' run. It's just too bad that all of Megatron's work is immediately undone within the first two minutes of S3.

-Silverbolt and Blackarachnia are perfect together.

-Silverbolt is perfect, period. gently caress the haters.

-A couple pages back, someone brought up how MTMTE made Transformers ridiculously durable. The same rule applies to Beast Wars, but goddamn, a little more consistency would've been nice. Judging from the major deaths on this show, the only surefire ways to kill a TF are a) by dropping him into a lava pit, b) by setting off a massive gently caress-off explosion, or c) by waiting for his battery to run out (note: rules a and b are subject to change).

-Also, is it just me or was the entire Vok subplot completely dropped after "Other Victories"?

-Those protohumans... yeah.

And now my 100% official, totally comprehensive Beast Wars character rankings!

Megatron > Dinobot > Tarantulas > Waspinator > Optimus > Blackarachnia > Inferno > Silverbolt > Rattrap > Quickstrike > Rhinox > Rampage > Tigatron > Tigerhawk > Depth Charge > Cheetor > Ravage > Terrorsaur > Scorponok > Transmutate > Tripedacus Council Guys >>>>>> Airazor

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

SRM posted:

I don't think I've ever found a character in all of Transformersdom as awful as Transmutate, save Michael Bay's Skids and Mudflap. Something about the gross way it looks, annoying voice and so on just make me glad it only lasted one episode. It was a sort of interesting concept but I didn't like the character at all.

Fair enough, but at least that episode gave Rampage a little depth for a change.

Looking back, I never fully appreciated how revolutionary Beast Wars really was: a smaller cast, decompressed storytelling, and a shocking amount of trust in the attention span of a younger audience. So many episodes, especially in the first season, have the pacing and ambition of hard sci-fi. At times it almost feels like the battle scenes are shoehorned in, sort of a necessary compromise so that all of the "bigger" ideas can be explored. (Or maybe that's all due to budgetary limitations on '90s CGI, but hey.)

Back to Transformers in 2013/14. How do we feel about this? I'm going with "moderately disappointed".

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Any of you been to Slagacon before? If so, would you say it's worth a four-hour drive? TIA.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Hello BSS Transformers Thread,

Does anyone have KFC's Perceptor? If so, how's the QC? Would you recommend getting a remolded version, like, for example, this guy?

Because I don't see another third-party ROTF Scalpel quasi-homage popping up anytime soon.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

So, nothing major. I'll have to preorder that one. Now who's going to make a Cybertronian Ejector? :getin:

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

So Botcon Cannonball is TFP Ratchet with a new head. Anybody got a photo so we can see how they managed to gently caress this one up?

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

SpikeMcclane posted:

There are atleast 3 figures in the Prime line that would have been a better cannonball.

FE Bulkhead, Kup/Ironhide, and...?

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

We'll never see that mold. :saddowns:

Yeah, I wasn't even considering that one. Really, Prime Ratchet seems like the closest modern counterpart of Cybertron Red Alert, who Cannonball was repainted from. Compared to >80% of Botcon character/mold pairings, these two are practically soul mates.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

I honestly wonder how much the movie Dinobots are going to resemble their toy forms. I just can't wrap my mind around a Bayverse character looking so classy:

Also, Hound cleans up real nice when you transform his arms correctly:

TBH I'm a little more disappointed with the non-movie Generations lineup. Aside from Windblade, who exceeded all expectations, I just don't see a lot of characters I care about. Here's hoping for a couple more Beast Wars updates (preferably Predacons) after the AOE maelstrom dies down.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I just got Takara Generations Waspinator in the mail from BBTS. I hate to be that guy but I really recommend upgrading to the Takara version before it gets pricey because it's a lot prettier than the Hasbro version. The green plastic isn't as dark in person. The gold paint apps aren't goopy as hell like the yellow paint apps on the Hasbro version, allowing more of the detail to remain visible. To my surprise (as I've never felt like this about a Takara version) I'm pretty sure the tolerances are better-- I'll probably chalk that one up to "luck of the draw" more than Takara cracking the whip. The extra paint apps on the head make a huge difference too, he just looks so much more like the character with a proper mouth. If you're on the fence, come over to this side, it's fantastic!

This is the gospel truth. I passed on Waspy back in December because of the bright colors and sparse paint apps. Not a problem with Takara's version. Plus, as WcR noted, all of his joints are set at the ideal tightness. And he's completely awesome-looking in both modes. If his bot head could be concealed more easily, he'd be perfect.

I had high hopes for Takara's Rhinox, too, but that metallic brown just isn't doing it for me.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Good news: we're finally getting an Evasion Mode Optimus that's actually movie-accurate. Bad news: it'll be a Toys R Us Japan exclusive, so expect to pay $100 or more. (Still kind of worth it, honestly.)

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Cheetimus is doing the Lord's work with these screen-accurate AoE Drift customs. Shame about the price.

On a related note: good god in heaven, how did HasTak gently caress up Drift's colors so horribly? Is this the "every character needs a signature color" philosophy rearing its ugly head again? Drift is blue because of Stealth Bumblebee, and Grimlock is gold(ish) because reasons?

Yeargh.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, the actual toy isn't quite as "deep midnight blue" as the real car, but that's also real hard for mass-produced plastic to replicate seeing as how the "real" Drift has a professional paint job using expensive real car paint.
The toy does a more than admirable job of replicating it, even if it's not 100% spot-on.

Fair enough. I'm still waiting to see if the Takara version is any darker/shinier.

So... the other SDCC exclusive was just announced. That's probably going to be pretty popular, right?

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

All this talk about third-party product, and nobody has mentioned that MMC is doing the electric chair Transformer from the DJD?

Not going to rattle off my entire TFCon haul, but this elusive bastard deserves a special mention, given that I literally waited years to find him on his own for a fair price:

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Did somebody mention Slog? :rodimus:

Between this and last week's Sky-Byte score, I'm beginning to feel like Stavros from the Fargo miniseries. GOD IS REAL.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Convoluted backstory be damned. I'm excited for Skywarpbyte, and I don't care if the whole world knows it. Also, here's a better picture:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

So I decided to screw around with ROTF Long Haul on a whim. Two observations:

1) Hot drat, this is a terrific Transformer. Kind of funny how quality engineering and non-lovely plastic seemed pedestrian in 2009.

2) In an alternate universe where James Roberts was handed the keys to the Transformers movie dynasty, Long Haul is TOTALLY in with the DJD.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Gotta make the mold count somehow

Apparently it's based on the Diaclone version of Wheeljack, which was/is also a Decepticon. So they're basically inventing a character.

Count me as one of the three people legitimately excited about this, if only for the :krad: head sculpt.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

And where the gently caress is 3rd party Tarn?

I think the better question is, How do you make a headsculpt that almost looks like the official, Hasbro-copyrighted Decepticon logo?

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Night and day. Night and day.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

So, I lucked into Arcee and Chromia at an LCS yesterday. It's too early to know for sure, but I'm thinking Arcee might be the best CHUG deluxe since 2007. The QC is stellar - clean paint, glossy plastic, and a really eye-catching shade of pink. The legs and ankles are designed to support the signature Arcee backpack, even in various action poses. She also comes with four accessories, two of which feature additional paint apps, and all of which can be stored in "Cybertronian Cruiser" mode without any trouble. Said cruiser looks terrific and super stylish, too, which is the biggest advantage that it holds over some of the recent third-party Arcees. It also holds together pretty solidly, which can't be said for 90% of the over-engineered tabformers of the last five years.

If there's a downside to this sudden quality boom, it's that Windblade ends up looking a lot worse in retrospect. Better late than never, I guess.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Sorry, all. The store only had one of each, and I bought them largely because they were priced at a shockingly non-scalpery $14.99. They've already been spotted at Target on the west coast, so a wide release probably isn't far off.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

I'm not looking for the full set of Seacons, but I adore the colors on Snaptrap. Is he a decent standalone figure?

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He's an extensive retool of Hun-grr (who's base engineering is derived from Silverbolt). He's a pretty good figure but I'm pretty sure when the rest of the team arrives I'll never uncombine them.

Thanks, maybe I'll wait and see if they do a God Neptune repaint.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

My god, it's finally happening.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

I've been rereading MTMTE, so it's great to see MMC address some of the most glaring omissions. Looking at the Season 1 cast, the only ones still missing are Ratchet and Pharma, who could easily share some parts, and... Pipes? Crankcase? Maybe Tyrest? (haven't gotten to Remain in Light yet, but I remember him being kind of important)

I also wouldn't mind a more accurate Drift and a darker Cyclonus with bonus replacement head for Whirl. We're so close! And it only took, uh, eight years?

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Good call on Red Alert (funny how there are two Autobots who survive decapitation in the first dozen issues or so). And I could've sworn a third party was making a squished Pipes, or was that a 3D-printed custom? I was thinking of a figure pre-squishing, though.

What about Perceptor? For someone who keeps popping up in the Robertsverse, he tends to get lost in the shuffle. Blaster too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Thinking about dipping out of MP Beast Wars. I'd previously stuck with them but the quality if the Kingdom figures is so good im starting to think I don't need the MPs anymore.

I'm leaning toward doing this, too. I've enjoyed the smaller Beast Wars MPs, but the bigger ones are just a nightmare to handle. Dinobot broke a tab on the side of his torso, and Tigatron inexplicably lost some paint on the side of his leg, just from being transformed. I'll probably keep Blackarachnia and Megs in case they make any more Predacons, but I might end up selling all of the Maximals except Legendary Optimus.

The quality of the Kingdom figures isn't perfect - my Primal has some paint rubbing off at the hip, and the tab in Cheetor's cat head was seemingly designed to snap off - but they mostly maintain the elite QC and tight joints of Siege/Earthrise. Even T30 Rhinox and Rattrap had thin, brittle panels that developed stress marks easily, so it's nice to have modern beastformers that actually function as toys.