Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't know who Kryten is, but yes that picture is pretty much UltraMagnus.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Forget the fandom, they are the best comics I've read in years, and the most insanely creative worldbuilding this side of Grant Morrison.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

LightsGameraAction posted:

Mostly it's endless obsession with pointless fetch quests that pad out what would otherwise be fairly tight seasons in an attempt to maintain status quo at all costs.

That has nothing to do with commitees or shareholders.
They use is as a go-to for an excuse for the characters fighting and interacting.

The real problem with Prime, and the main difference between it and Beast Wars, is that it's writ too large.

Most of the relics the cons' lost were because if they had any small advantage like the energon harvester or the spark remover bomb, they'd win. Basically the cons are too big and powerful and evil and the status quo has to be maintained to prevent them from winning.

On the bots side, all of the Autobots want the same thing, and have one priority: Defeat the cons. None of the Autobots can ever show disrespect to Optimus or go against his moral code. Some attempts were made at giving some of the bots their own goals, like Arcee losing her partners and Bulkhead's wrecker past, but those goals were thin enough that they could not be sustained.

This is why the relics are the only non-plot related hook they can go to in most episodes. No one else has anything really interesting to do, none of them do anything important besides fight in the war.

The Maximals and Predacons not only were fighting on a smaller scale, they were also interesting because they all wanted different things. Dinobot and Cheetor frequently went against Primal's orders, Rattrap only wanted to survive and not be a hero, Tarantulas was never on the same page as Megatron - just about every single character had something interesting about them and their own thing to do, a reason why they'd go against their leader's orders. Especially in seasons 2 and 3 you'd have giant games of intrigue between the Predacons.

There has been evidence of executive meddling with Prime. Prime's character itself being one of them. Hasbro would not allow the writers to have the Orion Pax storyline for more than three episodes (And I thought those episodes were great, Cullen has great range that they never allow him to use and it was great to hear Prime sounding like a confused innocent child). The writers also wanted to have a main character Autobot who would stick around for all of season 1 and get killed by Megatron (and this Autobot was named Smokescreen) but again, Hasbro had them change that to Cliffjumper getting stabbed in episode 1.

Also, recently one of the storyboarders mentioned that Smokescreen's new paint job was to be more realistic for a street car and a sign of him growing up, but Hasbro made them keep the 38s on his doors (and also wanted neon green highlights but they got out of that some how)

Hell, they weren't going to have beasts until hasbro mandated them into season 3.

I do not know who's ideas the characters and their dynamics were. It's clear that making the Decepticons more powerful from the beginning and making both leaders the be-all end-all of "Prime" and "Megatron" were probably the biggest hindrances.

I have enjoyed Prime a lot, but I think that it's good that it's ending soon instead of wearing too thin even for myself.
They're stuck with the Aligned continuity but maybe next series Prime and Megatron could not be the most powerful robots ever, Autobots could more frequently talk back to Prime and have plans of their own... and Starscream and Knockout could still be around because gently caress everything else those too are great.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Animated had some great ideas and background elements as mentioned above but the execution left a lot to be desired in my opinion.

Most of those ideas have been eclipsed by the brilliant worldbuilding of MTMTE. On one hand, I don't want to say anything as not to spoil things for new readers, on the other hand the background ideas of MTMTE are things that I hope become part of every series and could talk about them all day. Discussion of MTMTE should go beyond praise for how good the comic is.

The twists in the last issues would be corny if anyone else wrote them but JR pulls them off so brilliantly.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Marvel and DC have far more problems than just cheapness of death.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've said it before, but I really kind of see TF: Prime as the Star Trey: Voyager of the series. Granted, it doesn't go nearly as low as Voyager does sometimes, but it has the same problem - bland characters with no personalities and a plot that goes nowhere for years. Tons of wasted potential.

Prime's more like Enterprise (all that plus being a reboot) but more enjoyable due to having classier villains and cannot attempt to be sexy (thank god). Beast Hunters is the Xindi arc (current plot isn't working, blow up everything and add a new more menaching bad guy)

You know what's really Voyager? Furman's IDW run. And Spotlight: Arcee was Threshold. Embarrassing misunderstanding of genetics, attempts at being edgy, and ends up being so stupid that everyone wants to forget it. Yes, I personally think that the plot of Spotlight Arcee is really as dumb as evolving into salamanders.

And you know what else? Prime can deflect some of it's ire due to both being cgi (and having amazing cgi at that) and being a kids show. I mean, I don't see why a grown audience should be so mad at a kids show, it doesn't affect it's quality but it does mean that it's weird if you're way, way invested in it and act like it said horrible things about your mother.

Furman was writing for adults.

I'm glad that he has nothing to do with the continuity anymore. Arcee's alright now, I really liked what Barber did with her last issue, and they've changed the angle to "victim of cruel experiment" instead of focusing on how she apparently has robot girl parts and is really mad about it. But I think IDW should never have allowed that comic to be published.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Yes, last episode will be revealed to be Rodimus Prime watching a holographic simulation on the Lost Light.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Diet Poison posted:

Good GOD. MTMTE just keeps being amazing. Fuckin' Swerve and his My First Blaster! "Aww, you missed. Keep practising!" And the answer to "What's in the box?" Never in a mission years would I have seen that coming. It was genius. Okay, and the last page, I literally gasped, out loud and everything.
Anyone have specific in-head voices for the non-cartoon characters? For me, Swerve is Steve Buscemi and Brainstorm is Krieger from Archer. Not sure if we've discussed this before.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but Overlord is definately Tim Curry.

I kind of think of Rung with a jeff bennet voice and maybe ultra magnus is kevin conroy, not sure though.
I think Joe Dimaggio would also do a goos Swerve

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Yeah the OP lists the currently relevant series. Last Stand of the Wreckers, Death of Optimus, RID and MTMTE

Regeneration one follows from the old marvel comics, not IDW, btw.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'll air my issues with animated after you're done watching it, but I'm glad someone's watching it with a critical eye for once instead of blind praise or negativity.

Blackarachnia was in fact one of the issues I've seen brought up. The Blackarachnia in Beast Wars was also sexualized, she never used that to get ahead except once with Tarantulas. Possibly with Silverbolt but I think that relationship wasn't so superficial, and both sides were trying to change each other.

The other main female character is a demure teacher and both have tragedies that are used to motivate other characters. And then we have Professor Princess, who's a big bag of feminine traits used as comedy/villainy. And those, besides Sari, are most of the female characters of note, sending some bad vibes/messages about femininity imo.

(Beside my point: Sari's okay I guess, though I find it telling that no one has the same problem with her that they do Miko even though when I was watching it I was having a cow whenever she'd try to fight 40-foot robots. No one wrote elaborate murder fantasies about Sari.)

Thrill of the Hunt was a great loving episode, and does rise above most of Prime, and I admit that as someone who does not like Animated and likes Prime. The rest of Animated never reaches that height, though.

Again, I'll bring up my problems later if I can remember all of them, it's been a few years and I don't feel like watching it again.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 26, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The thing is they used the human villains because they wanted to make Decepticons an actual threat when they appeared.

They gave up on this because the human villains they made up sucked.

There's infinite possible ideas for human villains. Bob Budiansky even made a few that worked well. Circuit Breaker with her revenge plot and electricity powers made her a good antagonist for transformers. Then there was the guy who stole ratchet's tools, somehow useable by a human, but hey that gives him both a decent powerset and motive for transformer antagonism. Hell, even the Robot Master and Cosmic Carnival worked better as human/organic antagonists for Transformers.

So why did they make such stupid jokes like "angry archer" or "professor princess" as antagonists? Not only were the human villains stupidly silly, they did not really work as characters that could interact with the Transformers.

Then again, I feel like a lot of Animated feels like it was made by an idea guy. Lots of ideas thrown in without a lot of thought about how they contribute to the narrative.

I mean, you have Lugnut, who is an awesome take on the loyal muscle. He literally worships Megatron. Now, he needs a partner and that partner should be able to play off of him. Maybe a skeptic con who Lugnut is trying to convert or something?

No, instead we have Blitzwing who is just crazy and doesn't have any real motive for... anything he does really. He doesn't work with anyone. He's just based on an idea from the designers (Wouldn't it be cool if a triple changer had three personalities?) and from the voice acter (Bumper R. had the idea of making Blitzwing a Nazi parody).

Season 2 and 3 are fresher in my memory and I will save my whining/scant praise for then.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
90's cgi probably.
That and a long, slow, episodic, and silly first season.

Really, I would just recommend watching The Trigger, Before the Storm, and Other Voices out of season 1 and then watching season's 2 and 3.
Those are the most relevant episodes to the ongoing plot of the latter seasons.
And the latter seasons have the intrigue and plotting that made the series something to remember.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The would not reuse the seeker mold so much if people would stop buying them. There will always be another color scheme used in some obscure place they can apply that's interesting to someone enough that they'll buy yet another of the same mold.

Like action master starscream, or the g2 seekers, or the unreleased g2 seekers (actually,why weren't starscream and ramjet's g2 getups part of the g2 set?), or some miscoloring from a panel of the comic or frame of the cartoon, etc

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Those bh toys are the legends toys, exactly, piece for piece. Just upscaled. Like knock offs.
What the gently caress

E: didn't notice this was observed, sorry, it's late.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 30, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'm glad Animated is getting a more critical eye instead of "you don't like animated HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE FUN". For all Prime's problems, and I do admit the characters don't have the best motivation or interactions, they are at least understandable and developed as characters.

I'll get into this later.

As for G1 exposure, I was surprised at recent reviews of the Machine Wars toys because I was actually kind of liking the color schemes. Just because they were... different, new, inspired. I grew up with Beast Wars, and that had NO characters from G1 except guest stars. And you know what? That's what I grew to appreciate. Ingenuity, creation, new characters, new color schemes, new altmodes - in Beast Wars, no two altmodes were alike, they went through so many bizarre choices for animals.

I suspect, given the hilariously out-there, toyetic, just plain crazy Beast Hunters line and the new attempts to reach a younger audiance with the scaled up legends figures that the sequel series to Prime, even if it's in the same continuity, may not be so serious and may not have as many callbacks.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Goddamn it this episode owned. Soundwave is the best Transformer ever, somehow out-sassing Knockout and Starscream combined without even needing a line. When pressed for info he makes a dubstep remix of Prime's question, displays a smiley face, and then crashes his own hard drive. And of course his one line of his own in the show is Soundwave superior Autobots inferior.. Bee actually got a bit of character when And of course later he wrecks everyone's poo poo. And you can tell they're building a conflict between Ratchet and Optimus

If every episode was like this one no one would be complaining. Next show should just be from the cons point of view all the time.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Looks more like G1 Whirl with joints than mtmte whirl, at least to my memory. Pretty neat.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

The Rage posted:

Yeah I'm really hoping that Whirl is mistransformed. Otherwise that thing is a piece of poo poo.

edit: And where the gently caress are his hands?!?

Don't be so insensitive to empurata victims :mad:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Scoop is a very, very random choice.

Never had a fiction role anywhere, isn't completing any set of other chug remakes, and whatever niche they're trying to fill with him could have been fit with a more notable character.

Also he gets his targetmaster partners but starscream neither gets his minicon nor his broken wing for a sword gimmick?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'm not really shocked at them wanting to make simpler transformers for their shows and movies. So long as chugs continue (and legions the size of legions), I don't really care. They said as much in the interview with vangelus that they still want to have fans in 30 years so they're simplifying things. And I've encountered mothers in public who wouldn't let their kids buy or transform transformers because "they're too complicated for you" - infuriating bullshit for sure, but them's the breaks.

Prime... isn't really the series to do this with, at least not in my opinion.

I would not be surprised if the next series is the complete opposite in tone, a Teen Titans Go/Ultimate Spiderman crazyfest, going by this philosphy. The most popular animated shows on the air right now seem to be Adventure time, mlp, and TMNT (when it actually airs, pilot beat Korra in viewing numbers). Yes I know Animated already existed and Rescue Bots exists too, but I think they're going to get even less serious while still having bots fighting cons.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Yeah not seeing much resemblance to the idw design in that whirl

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Keldroc posted:

So somebody posted what they claim is a rundown of the returning/not returning/new characters for the next cartoon, saying it's a direct sequel to Prime with a bigger budget and a continued "adult" focus. Not sure how reliable the info is, but there are some interesting names on the list.

Spoilers for the final episode of TFP due to returning/not returning speculation.

Link, take with salt.

darksteel will be returning with the same voice actor whaaaaaaat?

Keep this bookmarked. When predacons rising comes out, check with this page and if darksteel, sky lynx, frenzy and rumble debut then this will be far more trustworthy. And jeeez those newcomers are like an fanboy christmas wishlist. Until proved otherwise, this is like 100% bullshit.

And mark my words I really doubt they're going to go "more dark" with the next series.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Huh.

I had said before: Onslaught is the weakpoint of FOC bruticus and a better one would make the whole package a much better gestalt team. Glad they've finally come around to it, I might actually get this.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
As long as we're hinting about the latest rid, I'm going to complain about Rattrap. This is the second time now he's been portrayed as a scummy traitor to the autobots (he was like that in animated)

Taking a character that is a rat and making him a rat in the other sense is the laziest thing. And it's annoying because Rattrap was a good character that we haven't seen much of. He was a self serving, unheroic, greedy Good Guy. He had a blinding almost racist hate of the predacons, so he was loyal but in a way that was not alright. He had a lot of negatives and wasn't worlds greatest warrior but he was also practical, inventive, and dependable - when it came down to it he was a vital part of the team.

Not everyone you work with is going to be the greatest guy, sometimes you just gotta deal. And seeing how people work together when not everything is ideal is far more interesting to me than just an irredeemable heartless traitor. Most Autobots these days are either Really Nice or Asskicking Rebel Warriors. Rattrap was neither.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
We want to encourage people to read his comics
Let them discover how hard JR can break your heart and destroy all you love on their own.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Look at these plebs who don't know about beast wars neo

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Bazooka_(BWN)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
You just know that it's more likely the realistic rhino will be repainted in bright red and yellow as Headstrong.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The g1 reference is always the most likely option, no matter how hilariously garish.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Because he's a robot so he can have a interesting and unique silhouette instead of G1's "Man made of cardboard boxes #101"?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Monstructor is in fact shorter than a Micromaster 6-man combiner according to tfwiki, so probably not.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
train combiners, construction vehicle combiners, car combiners
I think in combiners big vehicles can scale down in other modes to match smaller ones but somehow small vehicles scaling up is what's seen as weird..

If defensor had a different combination scheme other than scramble city then groove could be something other than a leg but we're not doing that because g1.

Except for that upcoming millitary minicon combiner. What the gently caress is up with that?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I kind of think the hoist that's a recolor of the 2007 tow truck (longarm I think) looks better than this hoist as a classics.

So Predacons Rising has leaked and being weak I fell to temptation and watched it.
Before I had thought that the next series would just continue from Prime because Hasbro made such a HUGE deal about aligned continuity that I could not see them abandoning it, but now I'm not so sure. I mean, Megatron's come back from a lot of things but I'm not sure how he'll come back from being alive but just sick and tired of this tyranny poo poo. I'm glad they didn't just kill him again and act like everyone's expecting it to last this time. It would take some major asspulls in the plot to come back from that. But really it was a strong finish to Prime.

Really, the next series could do something based on IDW or a televised version of WFC and the exodus novels or dig up another crazy british guy to write a show for them. I just don't see a return of TF Prime in the future.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
vangelus just did detailed reviews of all of them except for the combined form, and he does not gloss over objective flaws, so if you want an opinion more complex than just "THEY SUCK" or "THEY DONT SUCK", I would recommend watching them.

I'm satisfied with mine but I like small cheap robots and have no attraction to giant expensive bots like metroplex or hercules.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Blackheart posted:

I won't be getting it right away so could someone just spoil me on what happens in this issue of MTMTE? I mean if the thread allows it, even in spoiler tags.

Haven't gotten it yet, but tfwiki will probably summarize it and link to it on the front page about midday.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
How to Train/Prime/Dragon
It sounds loving hilarious and I eagerly await pictures to see just how crappy it ends up.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Kibble aside, is it just me or does that robot mode not even try to make Prime look just even a bit heroic? He looks far more like he's out for blood, usually they try to pretend he's just another kindly old prime. Or maybe I'm too influenced by the CD thread.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Blackheart posted:

I really can't blame the basic idea of simplifying the designs, I mean ROTF Prime -as cool as he is- is a bore to transform. But yeah, like you say you can't have that AND hyper complex robot modes with fake parts all over. They did confirm that at least the generations line will keep current levels of complexity.

ROTF toys, at least the initial wave, were in many cases just needlessly complicated and overly fiddly. I predict that we will see at least one super cool toy rendition of this Optimus design eventually.

At the very least legends figures will still be as cool as their size allows them to be.
Wouldn't mind another legends devestator. Or if it's the direction they're going, legends dinobots (which is probably the only way a full set of dinobots will be released).

But yeah, I can understand their ideas completely. Gotta remember who they're trying to sell children's toys to, even if the movie is not appropriate for children at all. At least we've got the generations and the comics, that's more than I could ask for myself.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Yeah, I'm not sure what voice to assign soundwave in books where he has full sentences with varying emotion.

Ravage is pretty cute. But then again it's kind of impossible for a giant robot's talking cat friend to not be kind of cute.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Hmmmm dragon prime's train and robot modes actually are not too shabby, and it looks like he doesn't actually combine with the stackbots his weapon just forms alternate helmets and chestplates.

Have no idea what's happening in the dragon mode, does it even have feet?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I was wondering if rereads with analysis of the current transformers comics in recommended reading order (Death of Optimus onward) might be possible. I can't do it because I'm literature-retarded but I feel there's a ton in MTMTE that I might be missing and I want to discuss it starting from the first issue.

There's some reasons why this could be a good time. Both comics have wrapped up their first major storylines. MTMTE has revealed many of its secrets so there's a lot to see in hindsight. "I Really Like The Transfomers Movies" is done, so maybe the sequel could be "I Really Like The Transfomers Comics" and get people reading them? Or maybe some bss superstar could be roped in to reading them for the first time. I don't know, I'd like a simulreadathon but I sure as gently caress can't lead it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'm considering walking into the bss chat thread and asking "who among you would you consider to be... the super mecha godzilla of BSS?" and recruiting them. Would keep things spoiler free and maybe if they were good enough they'd be able to spot the earlier hints (and there are so. loving. many early hints about the things revealed recently that make so much sense in hindsight).

One dude has written a really really in-depth analysis of Homestuck, he might be game actually (Yeah I know it's funny to make fun of it but for all the horrible nerds it's associated with, the comic itself is worthy of analysis. I think MTMTE is far better, anyway. MTMTE may not be multimedia but it's far more polished and professional, and the world and characters are more interesting.) I'll see if I can pm him later when I get some other irl poo poo done.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 27, 2013