Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The_Doctor posted:

I can't believe we finally got a new thread, and it wasn't called the Galvathread. :(

It's a pit-damned travesty. Mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

Speaking of which, you know who's 13 years old next year? This guy:

The Best Toy.

...I still need a new RID Magnus.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Are you sure that the canopy/backpack/cockpit plate is tabbed all the way in at the front? You kind of have to dig the front windshield into the small of his back, not just tab it into the back of the waist. Also make sure his side-of-torso panels are completely clearing the plate his head rests on.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

why cokie rocket is better known as Nefud, who once compared David Tennant to a Nazi for cooperating with Russel T. Davies. This is his schtick.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I guess I'll just never have an MP Soundwave. Oh well.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

GD_American posted:

MP RiD Prime, however, will make my dingus tingle

RiD Prime is already a masterpiece, GD. Though a 2-voyager "remake" of Omega Prime, sans electronics and featuring modern engineering... oh my.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Knormal posted:

I found all of that wave except Orion Pax, and out of the three I have Megatron is my my least favorite. He's still a really good figure, but there's mandatory partsforming involved, and he's too dinky for a Megatron. Partsforming's a pet peeve of mine though, it's probably not going to be as big of a deal-breaker for most people. Trailbreaker has some partsforming too, but if you set the piece off to the side he just looks like a pickup truck. With Megatron it's his wings, so if you lose them his alt mode basically becomes a weird lumpy coaster.

The way I see it, partsforming is IN NO WAY the same as weapons storage. DLX Generations Megatron DOES NOT PARTSFORM. His WEAPON is integrated into his vehicle mode. It's not, like, RID Ultra Magnus or something.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm sorry for everyone who's had trouble.

I'm sorry that not everyone can experience this.

I'm sorry, but not too sorry to show off the MP SOUNDWAVE I GOT FOR $120 DOLLARS AT THE TIMES SQUARE TOYS "R" US THIS MORNING!!!

There were only 12 each of Soundwave and Acid Storm. Me and a friend got there at 8AM, 2 hours before openning, to get one Soundwave each. Price-matched the website and BOOM! Perfect.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rythe posted:

Does the hammer attachments on Rumble and Frenzy left arm feel loose? The right arm is nice and tight but my left arm on both of them are loose and kind of sit at a slight angle.

Are you sure you've clicked them in all the way? Mine are all fine.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Eirgen posted:

I was there at around 1pm and it was gone :(

I was there when it opened. I'm sorry but they were gone within like an hour from what I heard.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

GUYS WHO OWN MP SOUNDWAVE AND/OR FREMBLE!!!!

There IS a way to have ALL of Fremble's accessories attached at once, INCLUDING the little cap-backpack-thingy! Attach the backpack and piledrivers like normal, then use the "storage" method for the back-guns, but UPSIDE DOWN, with the LEFT gun in the RIGHT piledriver, and vice-versa! No need to put the backpacks inside the energon-cube box anymore! SUCCESS!!

It's definitely intentional, too; the pegs for putting the guns in Fremble's hands slide right into the gaps at the wrists.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

But then the back guns are not on their backs, making them screen inaccurate. :colbert:

I don't care. Like, if I was displaying Soundwave and the Recordicons on a dedicated shelf or something, I'd shove the backpacks in the energon cube and call it a day. But while playing with them, I find everything having a place in all modes more satisfying than screen-accuracy.

EDIT: Besides the cartoon got the names wrong so what do they know anyway? :can:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

They know enough that MP Soundwave's box agrees with them. :smug:

MY MP Soundwave's box DISAGREES. :smugbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

Did you cut the names out and swap them? I can support that level of dedication to one's FIBRIR/RIBFIR position.

I'm not even joking. My Hasbro MP Soundwave box, on the back, uses RIRFIB labeling.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

I predict TRU Soundwave is not going to end up as a super-valuable item. They are making tens of thousands of this thing to meet demand. Already some east coast scalpers who bought a few dozen of them each are having trouble unloading them on eBay and Craig's List. Open that fucker up.

Yeah at the TRU Sunday morning a guy showed up at like 9 AM (an hour before opening, but well after I'd arrived) to scope out the Marvel Legends. He mentioned that he'd heard about would-be scalpers being massively undercut by Hasbro's production and distribution speed. Soundwave may not be easy to get, but it's not gonna be Grimlock or MP-10.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

A fair point, but I always had more faith in Hasbro pulling off a decent Springer than I do in them pulling off a decent Magnus with full truck/trailer mode and armor combination gimmick. Springer was just a matter of making him a Voyager. I believe a decent Magnus is beyond their current capability.

I don't think it's a matter of competence, Keldroc. I think it's because they, nowadays, steadfastly refuse to partsform for any purpose, ever, except maybe for weapons. They'd make the armor all one piece that would be bricky as all hell, like Ultimate DotM Prime, or G1 Magnus.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

A lovely Mospeada jet that has a giant hole in it. I think I would be less irritated with Blitzwing if he didn't turn into something that should have been vastly more awesome than it is.

Plug his sword into the top of jet mode, pointing backwards, to cover the hole almost completely.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm sure a dozen Shapeways projects for replacement Soundwave hands/fingers are already underway. It's a lame-rear end design oversight to be sure. I'm just keeping paranoid for now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

How is having nearly the exact same hands as MP-10 an oversight?

The oversight is that they didn't make the finger more secure. I like that the hands match, I just wish they'd improved on their solidity; instead, the fingertips are even MORE prone to popping off.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

I'd rather the temporary inconvenience of popping off than the plastic snapping entirely.

Yeah, it's a trade-off, but if you lose the finger it's just as bad. It's such a small part in a dark color. I don't know what would be ideal, but Soundwave's index fingers in particular are really precarious.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I found 4 outta 5 for Ruination, seems there are no Whirls to be had. But I figured out a way to combine the Wreckers guns and the Combiner guns into one big super weapon, and Ruination can actually hold it.

SHOW US, numbnuts, or don't post about it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

The Something Cybertron Forums > General Scrap > E/N Scrap > My ***cat*** died and I miss them so much :(

Remember that photoshop Aatrek did of the SA forums in the Star Trek universe?

...I'll be in Chrome's pagesource editor for a while, I think.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Would anyone like to buy some of my TF figures before I try eBay? Heading back to University so it's time to clear out sadly:

Reveal the Shield Wreck-Gar (still in packaging)
Generations Deluxe Straxus/Darmount
Animated Leader Megatron
Animated Deluxe Jetfire and Jetstorm
Animated Deluxe Sentinel Prime
Animated Deluxe Lockdown (black version)
Animated Deluxe Soundwave (original blue version)
Animated Voyager Blitzwing
Animated Voyager Wreck-gar
Animated Voyager Shockwave
Generations Deluxe Laser Prime

Will be shipping from the UK so would need to sort out shipping, go ahead and make an offer. Pretty sure I can find instructions for most of them.

Megatron is tempting. What are we looking at, vaguely speaking? talk to me at fortezeluxe at gmail dot com

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

The thing I don't get about Thrilling 30 is that the 30th is next year, but as pointed out they've put out half the anniversary product this year.

TF4 comes out next year. Its toys are going to cannibalize the sales of any non-movie product, as we've seen thrice before. Get the 30th product out to consumers before stores stop stocking it. It's a considerate move.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Why cookie Rocket posted:

He's the best H-tank ever, which is (to resort to cliche) like coming in 1st place at the Special Olympics. Also, as someone who has absolutely no investment in his character or anything, he may be super-G1 accurate, but he needs at least one other color to break up all that maroon. These are pretty minor flaws compared to the problems modern deluxes have, but they're enough to keep him in the extras bin instead of taking up valuable shelf real estate.

But his engineering is PERFECT. Reducing him to an "H-tank" does him a disservice.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Veg posted:

We see Brainstorm putting the spark in himself in this issue. The prose story just reinforces it. Hes making himself a phase sixer.

Great issue. Great great issue.

Brainstorm's been established as having been constructed Cold, right? Because otherwise that theory seems dubious. I think he was, though.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

No Your Other Left posted:

The FoC Bruticus molds are amazing feats of design and engineering. This fandom is full of whiners. :colbert:

VORTEX is a tremendous feat of design and engineering. I loving LOVE Vortex, if only they were all that good.
Brawl is a pretty good leg I guess.
Swindle is servicable as a leg.
Blast Off is barely a leg/foot in leg mode and is so lanky and disproportionate and UGH in arm mode that he absolutely doesn't qualify as an arm.
Onslaught suffers from being a Deluxe when he should have been a Voyager. His torso mode has wonky-rear end hips, is hollow from the back, and is just too drat small.

Keldroc posted:

Oh, come on. Opinions and all, but there's absolutely nothing "amazing" about any of the individual robots
Vortex is a loving masterpiece. He's got a solid vehicle mode that's easily identifiable, his robot mode is well-proportioned and articulated, his leg mode has a distinct "foot" and is very stable, and his arm mode has an elbow, a bicep-swivel, and a flip-out gun option. He's everything I could expect out of a Hasbro Deluxe combiner limb.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 1, 2013

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

No Your Other Left posted:

Are you ever happy with anything? Of course none of the robots are amazing, they're deluxe size quadruple changers that have to obey the laws of physics. They're a modern faithful take on Scramble City, and they do a better job of it than even the third party attempts. Blast-Off's limb modes mode stink, but the rest of them work great even in the official modes with a bit of fiddling.

Blast-Off is definitely the weakest of the set besides Onslaught. Even in bot mode he's marred by the bizarre and dysfunctional shoulder articulation. But Swindle and Brawl both make good arms as well as feet. Swindle has the same sort of waist-and-hips elbow joint that the Fansproject Stunticons have, and his hood becomes this neat shoulder armor that shifts as you move him outward. Brawl works well as an arm if you extend the waist and lower the shoulder kibble into line with the rest of the arm mode. Onslaught himself winds up seeming half-finished, but keeping him as a deluxe so he'd be in the same case as the others was probably the right choice in the end.
:allears:

Swindle's "elbow" is trash, largely because of curling-iron-arm syndrome, which I can't stand., Brawl doesn't have a real elbow, hell he's almost entirely shoulder. Vortex is the ONLY really fantastic figure in the set. Not only do they have to be an arm, they have to be ARMS. They have to be able to match one another in articulation and proportion. The legs would be un-loving-acceptable if they were of different lengths; the arms ought to be similarly criticized.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Knormal posted:

My biggest pet peeve about Bruticus is that this is clearly the best looking limb configuration, but my OCD won't let me form him in a non-G1 layout.

It doesn't solve YOUR problem, but Vortex is by FAR the best arm and Brawl's by FAR the best leg so you're still wrong :colbert:

The MSJ posted:

Hasbro, please make a voyager Generations Longrack that transforms into an excavator. Just make sure to keep his trademark giant excavator arm.
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Longrack_(Cybertron)

Eh? EH?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The MSJ posted:

I have that one and I like it (especially his punching gimmick), but there are stuff like his left arm having limited articulation. It's a decent toy, but even someone in this thread said it's not a perfect design.

Well I can't exactly argue that a Generations update wouldn't be neat. Just threw the idea out there in case you'd forgotten/weren't aware.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Knormal posted:

Vortex is definitely a great arm, but I can't get over his karate chop hand.

Better than curling-iron arm bullshit and/or no elbow at all. It can hold things, too (which Brawl can't even do), to disguise it a bit , AND you can fold out the gun instead (even if it is a little dinky) instead.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MB13 posted:

MP22 is going to be Ultra Magnus "Perfect Edition". Based on the MP10 mold, it will come with his trailer and be able to combine with it.

:getin:

OH YES. OH YESSSSS!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

So today I was looking through a Collections Etc catalog and in the children's gift section I found two interesting non-Transformers transforming robot toys, so my fellow goons let me introduce you to; Twist N Change Robot & Lighted Hummer Transformer

Twist N Change Robot

Lighted Hummer Transformer

The first is a Brave knockoff, I think, and the second is a RoadBot (a competitor to and contemporary of Alternators, though vastly inferior.)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

drat straight! My first Optimus, the flagship of the line that got me into Transformers, and almost flawless even by 2013 standards - I can count its "outdated" aspects on one hand! It wasn't afraid to partsform in order to do its job - that job being "represent the TV design accurately, complete with articulation and personality". I STILL need a replacement Magnus, but I love my RID Prime.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Arsenal_12 posted:

Did anyone else order the Glacial Lord figures off FPCore? Because apparently an entire order of one of them is now at the bottom of the ocean.

https://www.fpcore.com/news/2013/12/09/retro-future-update-megazero-shipment-destroyed

The funniest part of that is that the crane operator was messing with one and caused the accident because he wasn't paying attention.

If they're very careful they could spin this to their advantage. Make sure ALL the preorders get filled, take the hit, reinforce that they're a trustworthy company, AND make some jokes about just how drat fun their product is.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

itshappening.gif

I cannot properly express how glad I am to see this trend developing.

No ankle tilts, 0/10 would not buy.

OH MY GOD YES

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rita Repulsa posted:

Does Alpha-Q (quintesson from Energon) count

heh heh alfuck you

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

SpikeMcclane posted:

When Rattrap and Tankor were shown, a bunch of people assumed that 2015 would be SG Beast Wars because they'd finally have enough molds to do it and they wouldn't be able to resist Heroic Tankor versus Evil Rhinox.
Apparently they have a Buttplug Megatron in Optimus Primal colors that's shown up.

..."Buttplug Megatron"?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

it all does seem eerily like Stan Bush's endless re-recordings of The Touch.

The chief difference being is that Simon Furman's 80s output was just above-average comics writing, whereas The Touch (and Dare) is, was, and always will be a masterpiece. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

My favorite Optibotimus MemoryTM was when he started stitching ads for Coca-Cola onto the front of his actual reviews, defeating adblockers - that is, until it came out that he never entered any partnership with Coca-Cola and they sent him a cease-and-desist notice.

It boggles the mind, it really does.