Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Robot Style posted:

A very interesting assortment. We've got:
  • 4 Package Refreshes of hard to find or exclusive figures
  • 2 figures that were supposedly canceled from this year's lineup (Dinobit II and Sureshot)
  • The G2 Stunticon that would normally be in this year's Walmart capsule
  • Diaclone colors Blitzwing
  • A reuse of the Shattered Glass Sideswipe tooling

This almost feels like a Victory Lap for Legacy. I wonder if that means the next phase is going to take a bit to ramp up next year.

2 years ago, when this stuff was being set up and finalized, Lenny Panzica who had been in charge of Transformers at Hasbro briefly, suddenly departed for GI Joe. So it seems likely to me that the planned end of LegUni/what comes next wAs disrupted by this change in such a way that we're now seeing this filler wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Picked up Studio Series ROTB Wheeljack and Scorponok today.

Wheeljack has an extremely demanding order of operations with significant clearance issues, weirdly mostly in the car-to-robot direction. He's charming enough in both modes and significantly different from the "Coreboy" mainline Wheeljack, but apart from the licensing he's honestly worse. Pick him up if you're a completionist, there's not much novelty here.

Scorponok is an absolute delight. He has an extremely clever and fun transformation that preserves an astonishing amount of articulation in both modes. Pro buy.

Also a few days ago I got Concept Art Megatron and I don't know if I mentioned him already but he's goddamn spectacular. His alt modes are sketchy but he has so much charisma, articulation, and polish you won't mind.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

How did they g1-ify the Armada characters? The Armada characters are already pretty G1-y

Also, I’m in a podcast!

https://x.com/ourworldspod/status/1761390965737001273?s=46

It's a great podcast!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Pulse's limited stock is part of a compromise so that other retailers don't drop all Hasbro products for undercutting them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

His hips don’t look wide enough.

They expand a little.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It did come out over here. On Pulse.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's a great design - I have the Maketoys version - but it also makes me sad because it's the pinnacle of some of the most egregious character assassination in Transformers history. I know it's not really the fault of the Galaxy Force writers because they weren't writing a sequel to Armada, but it's so awful that Armada Starscream's character arc gets butchered.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Using Scraphook to make ROTF Lockdown is such a bummer. Was really hoping for an Animated Lockdown off of Chase with some tooling changes to give him long legs and arms.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Thew’s having a baby! Well, his partner is, but he definitely helped. :toot:

Did he announce this or is this a rumor I shouldn't spread?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MMC All Built In Devastator looks loving incredible.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

Wait, how come nobody told me someone was doing a Ruination?

It's a retool of MMC All Built In Bruticus, so this is the first we're seeing of it. No need for build-up when the source toys have been out for years.

As a result, it won't have Scramble City capacity. Fixed left arm, fixed right arm, possibly swappable legs.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Finally backed Omega Prime.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Transformers #6 loving ruled. Truly some of the sickest poo poo I've ever seen. I'll be sad to see DWJ take a back seat from art but if the rest of the ongoing keeps up with the writing and staging and themes it's going to be one of the greatest transformer stories ever told.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think about this thread title absolutely every time I buy a Transformer at Target or another supermarket.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's only going to get worse because runabout and runamok have a design flaw that causes cracks in their chest plates.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You better believe it!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's a matter of engineering. Plenty of toys have had clear plastic that worked perfectly fine. The most recent clear plastic panic has been approximately aligned with a period of time where Hasbro was not able to make as many trips to Vietnam to avoid materials science issues due to COVID. The same period was characterized by widespread chronic photodegradation.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think it's more likely that rid01 and the Unicron trilogy brought back earthbound vehicle modes and hasbro wanted vehicle modes to have windows.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Droyer posted:

Because robot thighs are insanely sexy obvs.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Source?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

Holy gently caress mpm bonecrusher makes me wanna drink bleach. I hate when they ship this poo poo in vehicle mode. Let me just open it and put my dumb robot man on a shelf instead of having to suffer through your dogshit engineering

skill issue I'm afraid, MPM Bonecrusher rules. Watch a video if you have to because the transformation is a delight.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

drat those are some nice Soundwaves!

but why is he so much shorter than Blaster?

Blaster was a super big toy in Microchange because the whole toy was originally a functioning AM radio. There was a "tape" that served as the radio core, and then Blaster himself had working speakers that amplified it, and battery compartments to drive it. His gun's circular opening is for an earbud to stow in.

https://tfsource.com/blog/2023/10/11/collecting-thoughts-3-g1-transformers-vs-their-non-tf-versions/

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Dabir posted:

If you think about it, both franchises will have every anniversary every year

This isn't Kamen Rider, some years are more significant than others.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's what Ginrai looks like in the show, so no MP is ever going to alter it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The MSJ posted:

I found SS86 Sludge for 50% off which would put it at 2016 voyager class price. I just spend my monthly Transformers allowance on Legacy Silverbolt, but is seriously considering getting him. Sludge is cool, right?

Sludge is the brachiosaur, right? He's a big fun chonky toy, but probably the weakest of the 86 Dinos so far from a handfeel perspective. Deffo worth ~30 bucks tho.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Whatever went down with snarl's wave is insane. I know people who got their pre-orders from Big Bad toy store 10 months ago, but the toy didn't make it to American shelves until this past February.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There's also the increased frequency of repackagings both within and across years, sometimes with minor to moderate deco changes or slight tooling adjustments.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

We are talking about SS86. I got mine at a local Target along with Gamer Edition Prime, who suffered similarly bizarre distribution.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think the tank mode is cute. They put a shitload of work into creating an articulation suite that doubles as transformation joints, and the physical process of going into tank mode has great handfeel.

The problem is that the jet mode's arm-and-gun transformation is undercooked.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MMC "Spartan" Impactor basically turned into a Metal Slug tank. Frankly, the WFC Impactor does too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Knormal posted:

Enh, better than

The alt mode sucks and the robot mode is a big dumb brick but that toy was fun as hell.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Studio Series Hachiroku

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sunstreaker is a weird choice but the engineering is excellent per video reviews; his torso contains really impressive parts compression.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It feels like Concept Series, much like the Bee Movie Cybertronian forms preceding it, is a chance for designers and engineers to go totally sicko mode without the restrictions of adhering to legacy character models or vehicle licenses. It's blowing Gamer Edition out of the water.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

They're also all available from bezos as of a couple hours ago.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mine just arrived from Target's website and it's really fun. The parts count involved in creating the functioning compartment is ridiculous and it definitely shows on the robot mode but more of a fun way than a frustrating way. And for a really intricate transformation every step is pretty easy and fun.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TheDK posted:

Finally found one of these chonkers:

Dinobot shelf pic this weekend, maybe!

In robot mode there is a lateral slider just above each knee to bring the shins further apart from each other. Don't forget to use it!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Anora posted:

The worst part about killing Rook is that, with Scramble city's gimmick, having a bunch of untethered limbs is a good idea.

I still think the worst indicator of how bad the price increases are is TR Blitzwing to Legacy Blitzwing. Same dude, like two to three years apart, save size, but the TR one was $30 to the Legacy one being $50

The parts count and plastic density on Legacy Blitzwing is miles ahead of the Titans Return toy. Just in general, the articulation and materials quality of the WFC/Legacy era puts everything from Prime Wars and Thrilling 30 to shame... apart from the covid-era yellowing and clear plastic crisis.

I'm definitely paying more for Transformers nowadays but I also feel like I'm more getting my money's worth.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I don't believe Core Class is particularly well-represented by recent leak compilation documents.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1hLZCNKO34HfKX1YoqiitWrjQHWSTL4xc5sYNLSVpgDE/mobilebasic

There's no indication of any core class package refreshes. However, separately to PRs, Hasbro might reship previous waves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I suspect the core dino toolings might be otherwise occupied this year.