Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

So is your sealed pool emptied when the campaign is over? What happens to it? Is there any sort of multiplayer sealed, or is it just campaign?

I guess the same thing that happens when you beat people in the campaign, you can play them as much as you want the only thing that's locked down is your card pool in that slot. It would be kinda dumb to erase the deck since there is a sealed mode in multiplayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You keep the "Sealed" pool forever. It becomes a set of cards that you use to build decks to play against other people who are building decks from scratch.

They really should have not called it "Sealed" because yes, it is confusing. Since you eventually get 9 Boosters, you can even get pools where you can make a good 3-color 50ish card deck (I got lucky with one pool and got several Terramorphic Expanse and Rampant Growth, it's pretty beastly).

So far my MVP card, no kidding, is Switcheroo. That thing just keeps winning me games.

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

The first Planeswakers game dissapointed me on every level, I was unlucky enough to pre order it and to my surprise the game was really handicapped in both tecnical aspects and gameplay. The big bugs were never patched, and then 6 months later a sequel was released. Rip off.
Should I get 2014? I hope they improved the matchmaking on Steam since the first game, or at least incorporated some sort of cross platform play.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So this permanent 'sealed' pool is basically constructed, except the entirety of your card pool is limited to whatever you happen to pull out of nine boosters? It seems to me that would reward somehow resetting your profile and/or 'slots' until you manage to get a slick set of pulls from your nine boosters that work well together. Am I reading that right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Filthy Monkey posted:

So this permanent 'sealed' pool is basically constructed, except the entirety of your card pool is limited to whatever you happen to pull out of nine boosters? It seems to me that would reward somehow resetting your profile and/or 'slots' until you manage to get a slick set of pulls from your nine boosters that work well together. Am I reading that right?

I've opened four slots so far, and all of them have had enough good cards to make a pretty sick deck. I believe that Stainless isn't being completely random with the pools and did some tweaking to ensure you don't get a pool that is straight unusable.

But depending on your platform, yes, there are ways to keep trying that don't involve paying $2 (and aren't illegal or anything).

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah but it's supposed to reward giving Wizards lots of money until you get really good cards in some boosters.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Is there another deck like the base blue deck from last year? Being able to deck out your opponent and decimate their hand with one card and winning while NEVER attacking was enormous fun.

Edit: Oh, and there wouldn't happen to be cross-platform between Android/IOS/Steam?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Little Mac posted:

Is there another deck like the base blue deck from last year?

Short answer: No.

All the deck lists are in the OP. This year it's Tribal Aggro City all up in here. It's very fun, if somewhat "simpler" than 2013's decks. And the deck building mode is very fun.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

OBi posted:

Yeah but it's supposed to reward giving Wizards lots of money until you get really good cards in some boosters.

In other words it's an awful lot like cracking real-life packs.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Oh well. Fun is fun!

I wish they would stop introducing cool modes and then removing them, though. I probably played more Planechase than I did regular magic last year.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

So I just beat the first opponent in the sealed campaign, and I don't see any mention of the 7th booster I was supposed to get. My card pool is still the same, I have 6 rares and no mythics.

I fear I'm missing something really obvious but then again some changes to the UI they've made since Duels 2013 are baffling.

Edit: Just beat the first opponent on the other sealed slot and the booster unlocked normally. I guess one of my decks is just going to be 8 boosters since there's no way to get the game to acknowledge that unlocked pack.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 26, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Little Mac posted:

Oh well. Fun is fun!

I wish they would stop introducing cool modes and then removing them, though. I probably played more Planechase than I did regular magic last year.

Whereas I missed Archenemy from 2012 when I was playing last year's version. Planechase just doesn't do it for me.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
I hope they keep sealed in, though. Unlike the alternate modes, having a mode where I can build my own deck is a lot more appealing than I initially thought, and being able to pay $2 to keep the game fresh while on a trip somewhere is right up my alley. The card pool is definitely a little lacking but I love limited formats so much more than constructed that it's mostly okay.

Holy wow a lot of bad players on here though. An opponent in sealed online cast Sleep against me on turn 4...when I had no creatures out. I didn't even feel good about the advantage, that was just a completely :smith: moment. (as was me casting Clone and accidentally declining to choose a creature to copy two games earlier :v: )

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Little Mac posted:

Oh well. Fun is fun!

I bet they keep sealed, if only for the fact that it's the only mode can generate more money.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Whereas I missed Archenemy from 2012 when I was playing last year's version. Planechase just doesn't do it for me.

Oh no, I missed Archenemy, too. Super fun modes. Oh well.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Jabor posted:

In other words it's an awful lot like cracking real-life packs.

Kinda, but you can get infinite sets of packs, for free, by just using different PS3 accounts/game center accounts.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Playing this on the iPad. Liking the new Ajani deck so far, played a tiny bit online and Slivers seem to be a bit ridiculous after the ramp up. Definitely want to unlock the Sliver deck next. The way the guy was playing it reminded me of the 5 color deck in 2013, drop a bunch of land ramp-up then get to the point where you can take off 60 life in a turn. Probably a good deal weaker to mass creature removal stuff obviously.

Sealed isn't as bad as people thought it would be initially. Like people have mentioned there is literally a button to reset your 2 free packs so you can get new ones for free at any time if you don't like them. From what I understand you buy slots, not boosters, and each slot only has a certain amount of cards so you can't buy boosters over and over for your main slot until you have 4 of every card. I managed to cobble together a white/black deck that is doing alright. The main thing I like about it is they all seem to be older cards, like I actually had a bunch of the cards in my decks in middle school! As someone who quit playing RL magic years and years ago it was really cool to pop open a booster and get a Shivan Dragon. On top of that it's a limited pool of cards anyway so it's not like you need to reset until you get 1 card out of 2000.

They changed the controls a bit on iPad, it's kind of hard to scroll through your whole deck and pick things with say Demonic Tutor.

Still playing through the campaign to unlock stuff, alternating between that and fooling with Sealed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Are there any decks as over-the-top as Ajani was in 2013? I swear that loving cat could just poo poo life, which in turn gave him all these 6/6's with flying. Usually with lifegain through equip cards, too. Which just meant that Ajani's Pridemate was like at like +fuckyou/+eatshit. He'd get all these huge cards while having 50 life unless you found a way to stomp him early.

every
Apr 24, 2008

Played two games online with the green starter deck this morning. Lost both. Game owns.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So every time you beat a chapter you can unlock a Planeswalker to fight and get their deck... what happens if you fight Green or Red? Those are the starter decks so you already have them, or do you unlock something else?

Are there any decks as over-the-top as Ajani was in 2013? I swear that loving cat could just poo poo life, which in turn gave him all these 6/6's with flying. Usually with lifegain through equip cards, too. Which just meant that Ajani's Pridemate was like at like +fuckyou/+eatshit. He'd get all these huge cards while having 50 life unless you found a way to stomp him early.

Ajani is in 2014 :v: Toned WAY down though, it's much more about Auras than about lifegain. If you played the Blue/White Aura deck in 2013 it's very similar to the white portion of that deck.

0 Pridemates too.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
From my experience Ajani's lifegain wasn't a particulary strong deck anyway, mostly just annoying.

4 more hours :argh:

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass
So I've been playing Avacyn's Glory and it's everything I want a white weenie tribal deck to be. :allears:

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Has anyone tried out the zombies deck yet? I loved the zombies deck in 2012 despite it having many buggy and/or terrible cards (like sacrifice effects ignoring creatures with shroud). Looking at the deck list I'm not sure it could really hold up against the white weenie or illusion tribals, but I desperately want to be a subpar necromancer. Is it comparable in strength to the 2013 dimir deck? I play 2hg almost exclusively, so games tend to be a little slower paced and favor slightly higher end power cards / sweepers a bit.

Playing zombies as archenemy was amazing fun and the reason I still have 2012 installed. The whole feel of having disposable, returning minions that slowly gain traction until they overwhelm the opponent was fun to play. It really felt like the deck played like a turtle / hare race as the turtle. Inevitable but steady progress, constant reuse of mediocre assets. That felt a lot more interesting than other slow start decks that just ramp for 90% of the game and play one or two super cards that assure total victory.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I haven't played 2014 yet (PC player), but this zombie deck is certainly better than the 2012 version. More lords, and it some real poo poo like gravecrawlers and messengers. I am looking forward to it myself. I posted a quick attempt at trimming it on the first page, but that was before I saw the promo unlocks. A couple of those would definitely go in.

That said, the human/angel deck and the mono-blue deck are still probably better. Even so, I would peg zombies as a higher end end here.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Oh, and is the game better at resolving effects that happen several times in a turn? I remember playing against the Exalted deck and having it drag terribly because it needed to add each token individually, complete with the countdown before each and every one.

every
Apr 24, 2008

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but...

Are the promo unlocks going to be a complete joke like they were in 2013? I assume they updated those, right? So they won't just all be hacked out within a day?

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
I assumed the codes would be given out at comic-con and whatnot like last year, is that not the case?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I am definitely going to end up picking up the XBox version however, the XBLA market doesn't have a trial download link and I won't be able to buy it until Friday. :(

Also I got the android version on my phone and it's uhh, it's certainly Magic on my phone. I figured out how to toggle off combat animations and poo poo but it simply doesn't seem to care, and I still have to watch each individual card biting my opponent - or was that just the tutorial and I can't skip it even if I turned the animations off?

At least the music is a lot better, and if it runs on my tablet I'm gonna be stoked.

every posted:

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but...

Are the promo unlocks going to be a complete joke like they were in 2013? I assume they updated those, right? So they won't just all be hacked out within a day?
I was wondering that as well but I doubt they changed anything.

And the codes weren't "hacked", some madman in a hospital basement went on a tweaker-esque binge and brute-forced them all with a bunch of scripted computers or something, didn't he?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I've encountered something weird on the iPad version twice now.

With my sealed deck, I have two Rune-Scarred Demons, with the When Rune-Scarred Demon enters the battlefield, search your library for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library ability.

Both times I've selected the other Demon as the card to put in my hand, and both times it has put a Grave Digger in my hand instead.

The whole point of my having two Demons is so I can mess poo poo up with two of them at once. Oh well.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Perhaps some day wotc will fire stainless and hire a competent dev studio and/or actually fund their game to be more than a glorified advertisement. I can dream.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Sealed is fun. My card pool is terrible except for some red burn, a few fast creatures, and a mythic white Aura that makes the enchanted creature an Angel and gives it +4/+4, flying and first strike and also when the creature dies you return the Aura to your hand.

I love working with limited card pools though and I'm sure I'll go through 3 of 4 different decks before settling on one I like best.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
On iPad it plays sound even when the iPad sound switch is set to mute. Grumble.

OpinionCushion
May 6, 2002
It doesn't look like an ice sculpture.... OR DOES IT??

Carnalfex posted:

Perhaps some day wotc will fire stainless and hire a competent dev studio and/or actually fund their game to be more than a glorified advertisement. I can dream.

If your dream involves Shandalar 2.0, then I'm right there with you.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

retro sexual posted:

I think the settings on/off toggles are broken almost entirely on Android, you can't disable the tutorial or animations etc on the Android version. At least the media volume button works. :downs:

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

OpinionCushion posted:

Why do you taunt me so, bringing up my hopes that I know will only be dashed upon the rocky cliffs of reality? Woe.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
iPad folks: can you have more than 2 people in a multiplayer game this year?

I want some 2HG.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Playing this on the iPad. Liking the new Ajani deck so far, played a tiny bit online and Slivers seem to be a bit ridiculous after the ramp up. Definitely want to unlock the Sliver deck next.

The Sliver deck is pretty good but not great; so far I'd say it's "mid-tier".

quote:

The main thing I like about it is they all seem to be older cards, like I actually had a bunch of the cards in my decks in middle school! As someone who quit playing RL magic years and years ago it was really cool to pop open a booster and get a Shivan Dragon.

Yep, 3 of my slots have gotten Shivan Dragon, Serra Angel and Sengir Vampire. It's 1994 all over again! :supaburn:

Oh, and is the game better at resolving effects that happen several times in a turn? I remember playing against the Exalted deck and having it drag terribly because it needed to add each token individually, complete with the countdown before each and every one.

Not really. The Human deck, for example, can drag because every time a Human comes into play, you Champion of the Parish gets a spinning halo. I understand why this has to be the case (it would be worse if it resolved too fast to respond to, for sure) but it's still annoying.

But aside from that, they've actually made some cards take longer. Terramorphic Expanse now takes longer.

Additionally, and this is honestly a good thing but it does take a tiny bit longer, you now select cards (such as with Expanse or other tutor effects or discard effects) and then also have to Confirm. So, you won't accidentally pick the wrong cards anymore, but you have to get used to hitting Triangle (or Y) after you're done picking them.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

OpinionCushion posted:

Shandalar 2 would be so awesome. I still pull that old game out and play it once every couple of years. Give it an HD upgrade, add in a bunch of new cards, and let it rock.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

retro sexual posted:

Roll the volume down to nothing instead.

This doesn't excuse the sloppy implementation and also makes me wonder why some apps seem to be rigorously tested before release but others (like this) get away with rookie mistakes (seriously nobody on the dev team or at Apple QA thought to check if the ONE switch on the iPad actually worked?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Finished up the sealed campaign with my first pool. Ended up with three Clones. So at least it's just like really cracking packs.

• Locked thread