Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
every
Apr 24, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

Is the game available on smaller screen iOS devices this time around (iPhone, iPod)? I know it would be a pain to play but I don't have an iPad and Magic on my phone has a certain appeal to it.

Nah. It'd be cool if they could figure out an interface for it, but, currently, it's hard enough on the iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
drat, I have no luck in boosters, first slot mostly blue, but with contents like 5*Disorient :ughh: still assembled a mostly fliers white/blue deck(pretty even split in lands, and 2 terramorfic expanses) that's "awesome". AI monocolored black wipes the floor with me in very first campaign duel :negative:
Second slot the drop is even worse, good choice of highend blacks, but nothing cheaper than 4, nothing but spells in red and nothing good in other colors, no clue what to make of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It is almost impossible to win with the mono-Red deck without a ton of the unlocks. What the gently caress were they thinking when they designed this pile of poo poo?!

(They were thinking "This is the one that everyone will buy a Deck Unlock Key for.)

Seriously, I'm playing Random/Random against the AI to unlock all the decks more or less equally and Firewave is the only one where it's like "Welp, gently caress it man".

I did fully unlock Avacyn's Glory (mostly from the campaign) and that deck is :catstare: good.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

precision posted:

It is almost impossible to win with the mono-Red deck without a ton of the unlocks. What the gently caress were they thinking when they designed this pile of poo poo?!

(They were thinking "This is the one that everyone will buy a Deck Unlock Key for.)

Unlock key for Firewave was given with preorder so you may be on to something :)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is there a list of places to pick up the promo cards?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Mobile warning, this is basically just a searchable list of every games store in the US. It's a big list.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/tcg/events.aspx?x=mtg/digital/d14/promostores

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pyromancer posted:

Unlock key for Firewave was given with preorder so you may be on to something :)

:negative:

Wizards complete lack of advertising their own product bit me in the rear end I guess. I thought that having a copy of 2013 was what would give me a free unlock key.

Also, I don't think it was even possible to pre-order on console (or maybe it was, who knows, Wizards doesn't tell us anything).

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yes, on the WOTC website. http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/duelsoftheplaneswalkers.aspx

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

As far as I can tell, no promo codes exist for this one yet. And, as far as I can tell, we're going to need a patch before they can add them, because they forgot to specify the URL for download data in the Steam version. :iiam: Don't know if the console or mobile versions are different.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks!

One more question, is there a time limit to pick up the promos? I'm planning on buying the game and getting the card in a few weeks on my birthday.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

how does this play on Android? I've got a Nexus10, debating on Android or just getting it on Steam. I guess there's a trial but :effort:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks!

One more question, is there a time limit to pick up the promos? I'm planning on buying the game and getting the card in a few weeks on my birthday.

I think the deadline for putting the code into their website is December, but promos last, "While supplies last."

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Telex posted:

how does this play on Android? I've got a Nexus10, debating on Android or just getting it on Steam. I guess there's a trial but :effort:

It plays pretty well on my Nexus 4. :)

Huxley posted:

I think the deadline for putting the code into their website is December, but promos last, "While supplies last."

Makes sense, thanks!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I see this game still suffers from mythical land-floods every other game, as well as AI pulling perfect hands. It doesn't matter if you stick only 10 land-cards in your Chandra deck, you'll pull five of them in a row every 2 out of 6 matches.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 26, 2013

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Add me into the Steam group: n0mates (zero)

lets turn some cards sideways :getin:

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Baboon Fiesta posted:

Add me into the Steam group: n0mates (zero)

lets turn some cards sideways :getin:

There's a Steam group?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The singleplayer is amazing if by amazing I meant like slamming a door on your fingers over and over as you try to beat gimmicks with underwhelming decks.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Not just the ending music, christ, all of the video portions. You'd think with the amount of money they're rolling in they could manage something less embarrassing in either content or technical quality.

Just remember, they were hyping up the ending music on their website just a few days ago.

Hahaha oh man now I feel really bad

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I cannot see card art, all the cards have a see-through window where the art should be. I can see animated card art like Grave Titan's when zoomed in but nothing otherwise, and it is really annoying when there's zombies and giant scorpions on the table.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
Nice to see the steam version still has the same wonky connection issues for multiplayer!

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I bought it, because I can't help myself.

I also like how I was able to get an AWESOME rating on my deck just by virtue of having 40 cards, 23 spells/16 lands and a fetch, and a good amount of removal. I'm ready for the Pro Tour :downs:

halwain
May 31, 2011
Just bought it and actually like it, but i already lost interest completly. That blue jace deck is just so ridiculously overpowered i have no chance of winning at all.
Is there some way you can counter that lovely deck (other than playing the same blue deck aswell)?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I have to admit I'm amused that the cat avatar's unlock requirement is "play an online match between midnight and 1:00 a.m. local console time".

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Huxley posted:

Expect stores to run out of the Scavenging OOze promo first as it is going to be in the highest demand for paper magic players.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh man keep in mind playing this today has basicaly been my first experience with Magic but can I Unsummon my own creatures with "when X enters the battlefield" effects and then cast them back into play to repeat the effect ? :stare: ok the wheels are starting to spin in my head & this game is sick

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

goferchan posted:

Oh man keep in mind playing this today has basicaly been my first experience with Magic but can I Unsummon my own creatures with "when X enters the battlefield" effects and then cast them back into play to repeat the effect ? :stare: ok the wheels are starting to spin in my head & this game is sick

Yep. One of the decks from 2013 was geared around this actually.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Is it just me, or are the challenges waaaaay easier than last time around? I don't mean just the ones that are basically just tutorials, even the first four advanced ones were really simple. Sliver Infiltration is the first time I've had to put any real thought into what to do.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Some quick thoughts on this year's edition.

I've always enjoyed the Challenges a ton, so 2014 is a pretty big disappointment. Unless I missed something there are only ten of them, of which five first are dead simple and four of the next five very easy too. Only the last Challenge of the second batch seemed like a puzzle one couldn't snap solve.

Sealed mode seems good fun, probably at least for a while as it's basically core set sealed and thus pretty basic. I would expect to pick up the extra slots from DLC sales which I assume will be around sometimes, $1 is easily something I can pay for those.

Banged my head against the Garruk sealed deck for the whole duration of Brazil - Uruguay football match though, even switching deck in between for no help. Must have been like three times where the AI had no cards, I have lethals on board for the next turn, and he draws just the right answer from the top on the final moment.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Crashbee posted:

Yep. One of the decks from 2013 was geared around this actually.

The Mind Maze deck in 2014 seems like it might let you pull off some similar tricks with Jace's Mindseeker, it's got a lot of Unsummons and (from this total noob's perspective) that card seems to have a beastly when-enters-battlefield ability

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Fired up Sealed this morning and three of my opening six rares were Destructive Force. :( Why is this thing even in there? I guess a green red deck could summon some T>5 fatties then try and win that way, but that's easier said than done. It's just too hard to build around.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm so glad they took the time to include Wurmskin Forager in this game. Who doesn't want a 2/2 creature for 7 mana.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I bought some sealed slots, and played through to get the extra three boosters with what I thought was my best set of cards. This is the best sealed deck I put together right now.
http://deckstats.net/deck-2480842-4cf81d2e855700c59151b5d68d6faf5f.html
My three six CMC cards are particularly beaterly. Getting Xathrid Demon, Grave Titan, Nightmare, Hypnotic Specter, two sengir vampires, and a nighthawk all together seemed pretty good.

I realize that my low end is a little sparse. The ravenous rats are there to try to slow them down, and maybe chump block or become Xanthid food. The three sign in bloods help a lot, to keep things greased. I realize that the two tormented souls aren't very good. I guess I should probably splash another color. Probably white, which has two pacifisms.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bugsy posted:

Expect stores to run out of the Scavenging OOze promo first as it is going to be in the highest demand for paper magic players.

I'll make sure to buy the game next week instead then. :v: Should be ok if I just search around to all of the stores in the vicinity.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Whew after 3 editions they finally fixed the alt tab bug that made all the cards freeze in the place you last saw them. Way to go developers! Now to see if I can actually join games without that constant connection loss bug.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

What platforms are people playing on? Pity there's no cross-platform multiplayer; I'd love to find some 360 people to play with , though

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

So since there's deck building in this version, can we also specify how many lands we want?

... still on the fence on this one. I want not to get it because of how quickly I fell out of love with the last one, but it's getting mighty tempting.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

So since there's deck building in this version, can we also specify how many lands we want?

... still on the fence on this one. I want not to get it because of how quickly I fell out of love with the last one, but it's getting mighty tempting.

Yeah, you choose how many lands.

2 quick questions I have about sealed:

HOw is your pool determined? Random? Pre-selected pools you get randomly? After you open all your boosters, can you "re-roll" your pool/boosters so to speak and build a new deck?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Is the game available on smaller screen iOS devices this time around (iPhone, iPod)? I know it would be a pain to play but I don't have an iPad and Magic on my phone has a certain appeal to it.
I can play it on my phone. :smugdog:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Crashbee posted:

There's a Steam group?

steam name list if we're being pedantic

OP posted:

Goon Gamertag Gallery (SA Name = GT)

PSN

precision = zerodrone

Steam

XBox 360

although there has been a 'Goons: The Gathering' Steam group for a long time who I guess will play some 2014.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Is it just me, or are the challenges waaaaay easier than last time around? I don't mean just the ones that are basically just tutorials, even the first four advanced ones were really simple. Sliver Infiltration is the first time I've had to put any real thought into what to do.

Yea that was the only one that gave me problem, mainly because I hated all of the - if you draw this, then shuffle, then do that, you can see the whole deck and pick that one card that wins the game. The other ones went way too fast. I wish there were more challenges like the Praetor one from 2013 - that was a cool one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Oh god, I loaded up the trial and I guess it's just tradition now for this series' cutscenes to get progressively more terrible?

coyo7e posted:

I can play it on my phone. :smugdog:

I'd be jealous, but i don't care for Android devices anyway.

I actually tried to modify the iPad version of 2013 to run on my phone and it... sort of worked, but the touch controls were all way off and I couldn't interact with anything on the board once there were more than four creatures out and you couldn't read any text even when zoomed in and it crashed a lot.

• Locked thread