Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also I'd like to note that you actually don't need to make a second install to use modded decks. I just dumped the relevant files in my DOTP Steam folder and it didn't break my ability to play the "normal" decks online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
I'm trying out the modded decks now, it's pretty sweet. Artifact Affinity decks are just as hilariously broken as I remember.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I like Thefiremind's bundle the most, as the decks work without relying on things like 3-turn combos. A good place to start would be the bundles for the decks from the 2012 and 2013 games, and Thefiremind's deck bundle. Some of the other packs have exceedingly broken combos that can be less than fun to play or play against.

SlightlyMagic's 2014 'New Cards' forum is a great resource, if a bit hard to navigate. That's the forum that has all the bundles and whatnot. I would link them, but it's a bit redundant. They're pretty much all ready to go, I can't think of any to say to avoid due to coding problems; If you download a deck bundle, read the first and last pages of its thread a little bit to see if too many people are saying it has broken cards. For the most part, they're as good as the originals that came with the game (which have their own bugs, there's an unofficial patch dlc that fixes those).

It is important to note that you can make your own decks out of the cards these people have coded; As far as I remember, the cards for the game (mod or original) come in core packs, whereas which cards are in which decks are delineated in deck files. You can get Riiak's deck builder here, and I *think* the Gibbed Tools do something similar. It's possible those two things are the same or slightly different, been a while since I've done that.

It's even possible to code your own cards, though I have no programming expertise to do so -- much less to code it so that the AI uses the cards correctly. There's a guide available for that here.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Where do I extact all these wads? Thefiremind's thread helpfully never mentions that.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
It's been almost a year for me, but I think it works like this: the dynamic patcher wrapper DLL (d3d9_43.dll) that disables the WAD signature checking, as well as all the core, artwork, and deck files for each mod (all .wad I believe) should sit in the base DOTP '14 directory.

For me, that's "C:\Program Files (x86)\Wizards of the Coast LLC\Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers". Mine is goddamn full of mod WADs, they eclipse the actual game files. When I go into the deck editor in the game you can hardly tell it's supposed to be a circle anymore, there's so many decks.

edit: Mod talk for the Mod God:

Which packs to get, or which decks to keep from them, starts to come down to your personal balance taste. To be honest AG, and to a lesser extent Mind Maze and the Aura deck stack up to most anything except 3-turn wins. My recommendation to start with the DOTP 12 and '13 packs plus Thefiremind was more so that you have dekcs that work on a decent balance.

If you want full-on combo action, there's always Kevlahnota's Pack, which includes some pretty broken poo poo. Such as 'Awakening Zone', which is based on getting Emmy out without paying. There's a Reanimate deck I think, too. 'Encroaching Wastes' is less broken, but a really mean land destruction deck when it clicks; 'Stream of Life' can get you 3-digit life easily, and Ajani's Pridemate to finish.

On another note, apparantly since I last downloaded sumomole's pack he is up to 82 loving decks what the poo poo?! The ones I already had were pretty good, so I'll report back.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 26, 2014

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
No magic 2015 thread yet I guess? I heard you don't need to buy dlc to get all the cards this time but with the lower price that seems like a lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Relin posted:

No magic 2015 thread yet I guess? I heard you don't need to buy dlc to get all the cards this time but with the lower price that seems like a lie

It's right here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3641391

Thanks for reminding me to close this one though!

• Locked thread