Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, I honestly don't like playing mono-white much, but I have to admit that the human/angel deck has a lot of really good cards in it. I think it is going to be a strong one.

I am happy to see that the zombie deck looks better than the 2012 zombie deck too. I am definitely going to have to get that one into shape.

The jund dragon deck is better than previous dragon decks (maelstrom pulse!) but I think I am going to need to play with it before I decide my final opinion.

The two decks which probably leave me feeling flattest are the aura deck and the dimir discard deck. I am not huge on aura decks in general, and they usually need some green. The discard deck feels like it lacks a lot of good ways to actually win. I feel like it will end with your opponent just topdecking something you can't deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Here is my initial attempt at paring down the zombie deck. I decided to focus more on the recursion.

Deck: DOTP 2014 Zombie

//Main
24 Swamp

//ONE CMC
3 Gravecrawler
1 Quest for the Gravelord
2 Diregraf Ghoul
1 Reanimate

//TWO CMC
2 Butcher Ghoul
2 Walking Corpse
2 Sign in Blood
3 Doom Blade

//THREE CMC
2 Geralf's Messenger
2 Lord of the Undead
2 Fleshbag Marauder

//FOUR CMC
2 Abattoir Ghoul
2 Undead Warchief
1 Death Baron
1 Mutilate
1 Grave Pact
2 Endless Ranks of the Dead

//5 CMC
3 Cruel Revival

//6 CMC
1 Grave Titan
1 Mikaeus, the Unhallowed

Display deck statistics

Grave titan and Mikaeus are the real top ends. Micky is even a little easier to bring out because of warchief. I decided to run the fleshbag/grave pact dealie, with the potential of bringing fleshbags back through lord of the undead or cruel revival. Gravecrawler is obviously the ideal fleshbag target, if you have one out. Cruel revival is expensive, but it is an effective two for one.

I decided to go all-in, with no life gain, but I wouldn't begrudge somebody who wanted to work tendrils or corrupt in.

I left in reanimate, in case we need to bring a lord back, or if we have the opportunity to snag something nice from the opponent. It also leaves open the rare on the draw play of turn 1, play nothing, discard grave titan. Turn 2, swamp, reanimate grave titan.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 24, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Corrupt is definitely a good finisher. I can't deny that. 6 would tie it with grave titan for the weightiest card in the deck though. Micky is at least slightly helped out by warchief. I am always leery about too much topheavy. I am not saying that it isn't a good idea. It might be. It just gives me some pause.

Tendrils is a good one, but with 3x doom blade and 3x cruel revival we already have six pieces of creature removal. I think that if I were to work that in, I would probably at least drop a cruel revival.

Endless ranks is actually one I wasn't sure about myself. I could definitely see potentially cutting it. I think that of the enchantments, I get the best use out of grave pact. Endless ranks takes more time. It does amuse me to no end, but I could see maybe just dropping this for tendrils. 4 CMC for 4 CMC.

I am probably going to draw the line against black cat. Maybe if there were more than two fleshbags I would consider it. Without two, I think they are too weak.

Unanimous hate against quest from both of you. The deck feels like it needs more 1 CMC cards though. I would kill for two more gravecrawlers. You two are probably right about it though. It does play reasonably well with mutilate though. Maybe turn 1 quest, turn 2 butcher ghoul, turn 3 geralf's, turn four or five mutilate. That would be rough for most people.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 24, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

precision posted:

The promos have already been leaked. Mind Maze gets another Counterspell, Force of Will, and Snapcaster Mage.
Where are the promo unlocks listed?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, blue definitely wins the 'who gets the best promos?' game. Counterspell, mind control, force of will, temporal mastery, cryptic command, snapcaster.

Looking at zombie promos, the warchief definitely goes in. The other three of interest are the second grave titan, the second reanimate, and the graveborn muse. Graveborn Muse's draw is strong, and it is a good reason to run some of the life draining spells. The other black stuff is either too expensive, or doesn't fit the deck. What I really would have liked to see are more gravecrawlers and messengers. Maybe a better two drop too.

The angel deck gets a pretty good deal. Another Baneslayer, path to exile, honor of the pure, geist-honored monk.

The Jund deck gets sneak attack out of nowhere. Now there is a good oldie. Any good ways to exploit it? I wouldn't say no to that broodmother or maelstrom pulse either.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 24, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I don't understand how this sealed mode works, and I've done plenty of limited play (more draft than sealed, but close enough). Normally in sealed, you buy in with some number of boosters, build a 40 card deck, and play your tournament. If you want to play another tournament, you need more boosters. Is that how sealed works here, or is it something else? I don't understand this 'slot' stuff.

Emron posted:

It's forcing me to think about actual deck structure and card selection, which is really strongly pointing out to me how little I know about what's good and what's not. I've been sticking to two colors and dropping anything over five mana if I can. That's the entirety of my strategy.
Look up the cards on gatherer, look at the ratings, and see what people have to say about them in the comments. They'll often point out good synergies. That said, gatherer ratings aren't everything, especially when it comes to limited. A lot of limited meat and potatoes will have middling ratings, as some or other mythic might outclass it.

I am on PC, and don't have 2014 yet, but if the deck builder is anything like the builder in previous DotPs, you might want to put your deck together in some sort of outside application so you get more information about it. Breakdown by CMC, creature, spell, color, and so on. You usually want to have a curve, with more low mana stuff than high mana stuff. You almost always rely pretty heavily on CMC when putting together limited decks, especially the 2 CMC mark.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 26, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So is your sealed pool emptied when the campaign is over? What happens to it? Is there any sort of multiplayer sealed, or is it just campaign?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So this permanent 'sealed' pool is basically constructed, except the entirety of your card pool is limited to whatever you happen to pull out of nine boosters? It seems to me that would reward somehow resetting your profile and/or 'slots' until you manage to get a slick set of pulls from your nine boosters that work well together. Am I reading that right?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I haven't played 2014 yet (PC player), but this zombie deck is certainly better than the 2012 version. More lords, and it some real poo poo like gravecrawlers and messengers. I am looking forward to it myself. I posted a quick attempt at trimming it on the first page, but that was before I saw the promo unlocks. A couple of those would definitely go in.

That said, the human/angel deck and the mono-blue deck are still probably better. Even so, I would peg zombies as a higher end end here.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Steam release is up. Downloading it now.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Pretty much. DotP games are mostly to try to teach you the game, and hopefully hook you enough that you dive into paper or MTGO. I do know that as a long time player who often takes breaks, they often rekindle my interest in the game.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Well, my initial sealed pool had three doors to nothingness. I am not sure if I should cry and try to figure out how to reset that, or try to build a terrible door to nothingness deck.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Best as I can tell you are stuck with your sealed pool on steam. I turned off cloud and deleted the local data, which resulted in opening packs again. Same cards. I deleted the data, tried changing my steam name before I opened the packs again, and same cards. Probably keyed off of your steam account name.

Who knows though. Maybe the cards are in the save data and somebody will figure out how to edit it, turning sealed into a horrible monster.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I bought some sealed slots, and played through to get the extra three boosters with what I thought was my best set of cards. This is the best sealed deck I put together right now.
http://deckstats.net/deck-2480842-4cf81d2e855700c59151b5d68d6faf5f.html
My three six CMC cards are particularly beaterly. Getting Xathrid Demon, Grave Titan, Nightmare, Hypnotic Specter, two sengir vampires, and a nighthawk all together seemed pretty good.

I realize that my low end is a little sparse. The ravenous rats are there to try to slow them down, and maybe chump block or become Xanthid food. The three sign in bloods help a lot, to keep things greased. I realize that the two tormented souls aren't very good. I guess I should probably splash another color. Probably white, which has two pacifisms.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

precision posted:

Just cracked 7 of the 9 boosters for a pool, and already have:

- White Knight
- Honor of the Pure
- Fiend Hunter
- 2xPacifism
- Roc Egg
- a few other decent White creatures (just Commons like Charging Griffon and Pillarfield Ox)

- Murder
- 3xAssassinate
- 2xSign in Blood
- Distress
- Vampire Nighthawk
- Hypnotic Specter
- Serra Angel
- 2xSengir Vampire
- Rise From the Grave
- Rune-Scarred Demon

:catstare:

I just hope I get a couple Terramorphic Expanse in the last two packs to make hitting those double-mana costs easier. But like, drat.

WMG posted a video of JT and MC cracking their first Sealed pool. They got three Door to Nothingness. :v:
I have all these together in one of my sealed pools.

Along with two sengir vampires, two murders and an assassinate, three sign in bloods, four crypt rats, rise from the grave, diabolic revelation, swiftfoot boots, and a couple giant scorpions.

I wish it had a little more removal than the two murders and the assassinate. Those are good, but it is always nice to have more. I am running monoblack with it right now, because I have so many black goodies, but I could see splashing a little white, which has two pacifisms and a condemn. I have been enjoying the consistency of monoblack though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

sicarius posted:

I've played Magic for years and was once, long ago a level 2 judge. The holding priority thing is odd simply because, even in real Magic, there are very few reasons you would want to do that (Split Second cards being the most obvious). No clue why they would include that option in this game unless they just wanted it for completion sake.

EVIR Gibson posted:

If you play online and your opponent sees the game just completly sped past your second main phase, he knows you have no creature removal/tricks if you have a creature out for one.
That isn't what he was talking about. Normally, priority is passed when you cast any sort of spell or activate an ability. Say I have priority. I cast a grave titan. Priority then passes to the opponent. If the opponent has a counterspell, they could then cast it. Priority would then pass back to me. I can't deal with the counterspell, I pass and the counterspell resolves. If my opponent didn't have a counterspell, they would have passed priority, and my titan would have resolved. Priority is passing after every new spell put on the stack.

If you want to retain priority after casting a spell instead of passing it to your opponent, to place some other instant/ability on the stack, that option is available, but you have to explicitly declare that is what you are doing. The default assumed operation is a priority pass.

The default priority pass can help alleviate confusion in situations like pumping a creature. Each activation of the pump has an implicit priority pass. You don't say 'I want to put ten mana into pumping my nantuko shade', have the opponent lightning bolt in response, and be out ten mana as your pumps fizzle. You would be out the entire ten mana if you specifically said that you were retaining priority while putting pump activations on the stack, but that would be a stupid thing to do.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 27, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

melon man posted:

Is gibbed or anybody else going to work on a trainer for this game, just like there was one for 2013? I snooped around a bit and managed to find and modify the values for player health quite easily and unlock some of the decks I fancied very fast (change enemy health to 0), but I'm not very proficient at this sort of stuff generally speaking.
I made the one last year. At least, I am assuming you are talking about the simple 'win button' trainer I posted in the 2013 thread like a day after release.

At any rate, I heard your request, and whipped up another one quickly. I think my pointer used for accessing the health is good. It was stable through a reset of my computer. Let me know if it works. I wouldn't use it in online games or anything (I haven't even tested it there). Works fine in the normal and sealed campaigns for unlocking your cards/packs quickly though.

https://mega.co.nz/#!A1M3UYzK!NQZc_DtFyTUhdaXWMhGYYwoE9g4Soc-ASqaxuHCt0m8

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I was running in windowed myself (easier to test that way). Seemed to be stable here. I could see it maybe crashing if you were pressing f1 outside of a match in the menus (the pointer points to who knows what then). I'll give things another reset, try fullscreen, and see if anything changes.

Edit: Looks fine here. Did another reset, and tried fullscreen, and the pointer is still good. I did about 20 matches in a row without problems. Will see if anybody else has the problem. If so, will try a different pointer.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 27, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Wrong Thread

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 28, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Seriously many more serious players hate sealed due to luck and prefer drafting which works towards reducing the luck factor. They release one of these with unlimited free drafting and I will pay a large sum of money for it.
I wouldn't really consider myself a serious player. I do mostly play limited on MTGO, though I often take breaks where I miss sets. I definitely enjoy drafts more than sealed though. Decks in drafts usually end up more interesting, as you can pick cards to aim for a particular archetype. For example, I drafted a lot of innistrad, and normally there you would aim for an archetype like g/w aggro, u/w flyers, u/g/b self-mill, r/b burning vengeance, and so on. There is definite strategy involved in picking your cards from the packs which is absent in sealed. Sealed is less about planning, tough decisions, and archetypes, and more about just playing whatever bombs (if you are lucky), removal, and critters (mostly two/three drops) that you happens to pull.

They'll never release a dotp with unlimited free drafting though. They would be crazy if they did. The goal of the games is to try to get you into playing paper or MTGO. The last thing they want is to have those players satisfied with DotP instead of spending big bucks.

I know DotP always make me want to go back and play more MTGO. Will have to see when their next cube draft is scheduled. Those have been my favorite MTGO games.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

People always imagine that things like this in games are nonrandom and stacked against them. I remember the craziness with puzzle quest, even after the developer released that part of the code to disprove it. There is a difference between the random number generator and the deck randomization algorithm too. I am sure dotp is probably just throwing the time into srand like everybody does for random number generation. For the purposes of 99.9% of situations (including this) that is fine. For shuffling the deck, it is probably Fisher-Yates, which is like three or four lines of code. While it is possible to screw it up, you don't need to be a genius programmer to implement this. It is possible there might be a slight modulo bias, but I doubt it would have much effect.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 30, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

That is the whole point of the DotP games. You are pretty much the target audience. Buy it and mess around at your leisure. Plenty of people here to answer any questions you might have.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

goferchan posted:

I don't know a lot about Magic but drafting seems to me like it's the best way to get into it IRL from what I understand? Spend a few bucks, (hopefully) come home with something at least playable, and compete with people on an even playing field, my complete lack of skill & knowledge not withstanding.
'even' is relative. While you do have the same opportunity for cards as everybody else in the draft, you'll have a tough time competing with experienced drafters. That said, drafting is a lot of fun, and my favorite way to play magic. Even if you do lose (and you will), it should get you better very quickly. In general, I enjoy it more than constructed. I find it a more complete magic experience, as you have to evaluate, build, and play.

As mentioned, watching some videos of people drafting the sets you plan to draft is an excellent idea. It will give you a much better idea of what to do.

I suggest videos from lsv, conley, and pv on channel fireball.
http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/

I also like Simon Goertzen's videos on MTGO Academy.
http://www.mtgoacademy.com/author/Simon+Goertzen/

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 2, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Sorry if it was already brought up, but is there any logical reason why Phantasmal Image can target illusions that say "if you target this creature put it in the graveyard"?
Phantasmal image doesn't say you 'target' the creature you want to copy, it says you 'select' it. You can copy things that have shroud and such with phantasmal image too. If it did say target, then the illusion would die.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 2, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

60 cards is the minimum for a constructed deck, and 99% of the time, a 60 card deck is what you want. After getting unlock cards, you should trim your deck back down to 60 by removing cards. What you remove will be determined by the utility of the card, how well it fits into the deck, the mana cost, and so on. As a new player, I wouldn't expect you to be great at picking which cards to remove, but do you best, and maybe look to see what other people are removing and why.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

legoman727 posted:

Man, Deadwalkers is gonna be tough to cut. Between the great mid-curve creatures and the absurd amount of removal, it's hard to decide what to keep.

What's everyone running with that?
I put my list for it on the first page of the thread. The comments about cutting endless ranks from my list are pretty compelling though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Personally I like both Mikaeus and Grave Titan in the deck. Grave Titan is certainly the only non-zombie I would run though. He brings zombie buddies to the table, and is powerful enough to be worth the cost.

The nightmares, while good monoblack cards, don't really belong in the deck as they don't further the plan. If they were zombies, things might be different.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

There are 151 different cards in the 'set' you are pulling from. That doesn't mean your card pool will have 151 cards.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Loving Life Partner posted:

I dunno, I just can't find a problem with a card that for 3 mana either draws me 3 cards or does 5 to the face of the opponent. I get that you're giving them a choice or whatever, but would it be any better/worse if you just flipped a coin to determine the effect?
It would be considerably better if you flipped a coin. When the opponent chooses, there should be a near 100% chance that the less useful outcome is chosen. Flip a coin, and that is down to 50%.

This is a good article on the card.
http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=7146

quote:

Let's remember that during any particular match, our opponent is the person who MOST wants us to lose. In fact, they're actively trying to see that that is exactly what happens. When we play Browbeat, then, we can assume our opponent is always going to select the half that has the least amount of impact on the game. Five damage for three mana? Irrelevant when they're at 10 life and have counter-locked us. Draw three cards? Fine with them as they swing back for lethal despite being at four life.
All that said, I think that in the context of DoTP it is still playable.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 19, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

With regards to flash, creatures with it are often used as surprise blockers. Take Briarpack Alpha for example. He may be rated low on gatherer, mostly due to briarhorn being better, but he was still a really good draft card.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=262664
You have four mana up, and your opponent makes what looks like a good attack. You flash in your briarpack after he declares his attackers. You can then use the pack to block, and give +2/2 either to the pack or to another blocker. It puts five unexpected power on the board, with the option of splitting that power between two creatures. It will almost always eat something, and has the potential of eating two things if you are lucky.

You do see flash creatures used other times too. Sometimes will cast flash stuff on the opponent's end step to try to sneak them through at the last second. Often done with pestermite for combo purposes.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 20, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's nothing gained if you know for a fact you're going to lose, and in paper and MODO it's customary to concede when you can't win. This game just makes that custom a little bit of a pain in the rear end because your concession doesn't bring about an opponent's win.
I wouldn't say that for sure about MODO. I guess it depends on where you are playing. If nothing is at stake and you are just playing in one of the practice rooms, then sure, concede when they have their combo together, or when you know things are locked. If there are prizes at stake though, you make them go through the motions. You would be surprised how often people can gently caress up, or take so long that they run out their timer. I very rarely concede in draft or constructed tournaments. I make them kill me. Helps that I almost always up on the timer too.

In DoTP though, sure, no harm on conceding when you know things are over.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Your play sounds good to me. Look at the game options and turn off simplified targeting. By default, the game stops you from buffing enemy creatures or killing your own creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I have no idea how people think resolving a 15-drop shouldn't give a player a colossal advantage and allow them to make very severe progress toward finality. Annihilator exists because it drives a match toward a conclusion. If alternative enablers become a problem, attack the enablers but right now decks that make a billion mana would rather storm or cast Craterhoof and decks that reanimate on the quick are happier with Griselbrand. Does Emrakul even see meaningful play outside Sneak & Show (where he competes with Griselbrand) or Omnitell?
Some modern tron decks use Emrakul. There is also a modern genesis wave 'combo' deck that that uses Emrakul, along with a bunch of other Eldrazi, in the sideboard for spawnsire to fetch. It isn't as good as the really competitive modern decks though.

As for other eldrazi, there is a pretty good pauper cloudpost deck that uses ulamog's crusher.

Eldrazi aren't generally reanimation targets, due to the really good ones having the reshuffle trigger when they hit the graveyard. It means you can only reanimate them with instants.

But yeah, nothing about Eldrazi are particularly format breaking.

• Locked thread