Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Little Mac posted:

Oh well. Fun is fun!

I wish they would stop introducing cool modes and then removing them, though. I probably played more Planechase than I did regular magic last year.

Whereas I missed Archenemy from 2012 when I was playing last year's version. Planechase just doesn't do it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Are there any decks as over-the-top as Ajani was in 2013? I swear that loving cat could just poo poo life, which in turn gave him all these 6/6's with flying. Usually with lifegain through equip cards, too. Which just meant that Ajani's Pridemate was like at like +fuckyou/+eatshit. He'd get all these huge cards while having 50 life unless you found a way to stomp him early.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Oh, and is the game better at resolving effects that happen several times in a turn? I remember playing against the Exalted deck and having it drag terribly because it needed to add each token individually, complete with the countdown before each and every one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Ugggh, one of my pools is unplayable-y bad (3-4 creatures per type, tops, the rest spells) and I have no way to reset it. Fuuuck. At least the campaign decks are fun, but I hate how encounter heavy it is compared to last year. I have fun with this game, but it feels like it's trying to stop me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Switcheroo+ a phantasmal does NOT equal taking control of your enemy's creature, it just kills yours. Lame.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Switcheroo goes on the stack targeting an enemy's creature and your Phantasmal. Since your Phantasmal was targeted, its suicide effect goes on the stack. Then its suicide effect resolves and it dies. Then Switcheroo can't resolve because one of its targets is missing, so it fizzles instead.

Yeah. Not too familiar with how some of this stuff resolves, so I thought I was clever. Now that sealed pool is even more poo poo than it was before. Also, gently caress the eloren bramble encounter. It's driving me up a wall. What decks work against it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I don't like the encounter focus in the single player campaign. Last year it was one, maybe, maybe two between an actual duel, this time, it's three in a row, and they're just so loving dull to play against. Give me some unpredictibility! And the third is always just a slog until you get the right set of draws.

EDIT: gently caress you, survive the volcano. Cranking out 5/4's and 4/4's with all the removal you'd need is just goddamn cheating.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 4, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cirofren posted:

The pre-programmed draws on the AI bum me out. I would happily replay the campaign if I knew it wasn't going to be the same hands over and over.

That's a lot of my problems. There's decks like the volcano one I've bitched about that feel like brick walls, but the worst part is just facing the same poo poo, over and over and over again. That's not enjoyable. I want variety dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Loving Life Partner posted:

The paper game, and official online game, outside of the kitchen table setting has a really deep meta game. If you can play casually with friends, do it.

I used to play in middle school and got back to playing when I was a block away from some friend of mine who played it, and getting back in is fun. We went to a shop and all bought a starter deck and 3 boosters. Went home, bought a starter deck and 3 boosters. Checked the decks, did some trades, rearranged the starters, bought a shitload of wine and played for hours. Then, did a few boosters every now and again, remade the decks more and more, it's like face-to-face planeswalkers.

• Locked thread