Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If you edit Chandra's deck will she pilot the deck you built in the Ramaz battle? Because Jesus Christ Chandra stop blowing up our loving side with that idiot Magma Phoenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

They rarely release hi-res versions of card art and will usually vomit logos on it when they do.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I would play new sealed pools all the loving time just to step up my game if that were an option. But two bucks a pool for a one-year format where I can't keep anything and have no prize payout? gently caress you, Wizards, I already bought this game.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Are there only two coinflip animations? You don't need more, sure, but in my limited experience, that red recurring token maker flip always lands on the opposite side of what's facing up at the start of the flip, making the animation pretty much a formality.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Regarding the number of colored mana symbols in the cost, I'd add it's a sliding scale based on how many colors you're running and the card's total mana cost. For example, 2 of a symbol is a bigger deal in some contexts than others. Sign in Blood is a lot harder for a two color deck to play turn 2 than Grave Titan is on turn 6. And if I'm running three colors with rougly equal distribution, I'm probably not running Sign in Blood at all. Grave Titan stays.

That aura that turns your mountains into 7/7s may look sweet, but triple red is gonna be hard unless you're running monored or red with a small splash of another color.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Played some guy in Sealed just now. Just look at some of the poo poo he had.

Got there anyway. :smug:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lunsku posted:

Anyone tested if the game handles Restoration Angel and Fiend Hunter correctly if you play Angel targeting Fiend Hunter with Fiend Hunter's exile ability in stack?

For anyone who doesn't know what this post is about, here's what happens in paper Magic (and presumably DotP):

When Fiend Hunter enters, its exile trigger goes on the stack. If you then remove it from play (kill it, sacrifice it, bounce it, flicker/exile it, etc.) before the exile ability resolves, then its "leaves the battlefield" trigger goes on the stack ABOVE it. Since the stack resolves top down, here's how it plays out: Fiend Hunter leaves the battlefield. Since it hasn't exiled anything yet, nothing returns. Then Fiend Hunter's initial "enters the battlefield" trigger resolves, permanently exiling the target.

Short version: Fiend Hunter, target a thing for exile, flash in Restoration Angel before it resolves, flicker Fiend Hunter. You've now exiled two creatures -- one forever.

Unrelated: Mind Maze is awesome. I haven't got to run it online yet but it feels like it might be better than Avacyn's Glory.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kanfy posted:

Could be, a friend of mine has that but I haven't played against him yet.

On an unrelated note, chat messages not popping up on screen is a shame since they have a chatbox now but the "new message" alert is easy to miss. Games seem a lot quieter.

On an another unrelated note, I assume the lifegain artifacts are still not worth running despite working with lands as well?

In a monocolor deck the staves are much better than the charms were and thwart the gently caress out of any deck whose plan is to get in for a few evasive damage per turn.

That said, I imagine every deck will still have a better 60 without them. Maaaaaybe Chant of Mul Daya would want it since it vomits land out and wants to survive to late game? But I don't even know if it has them.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kanfy posted:

Could be, a friend of mine has that but I haven't played against him yet.

On an unrelated note, chat messages not popping up on screen is a shame since they have a chatbox now but the "new message" alert is easy to miss. Games seem a lot quieter.

On an another unrelated note, I assume the lifegain artifacts are still not worth running despite working with lands as well?

In a monocolor deck the staves are much better than the charms were and thwart the gently caress out of any deck whose plan is to get in for a few evasive damage per turn.

That said, I imagine every deck will still have a better 60 without them. Maaaaaybe Chant of Mul Daya would want it since it vomits land out and wants to survive to late game? But I don't even know if it has them.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

precision posted:

Deadwalkers, Mind Maze, Sliver Hive all deal with Avacyn's Glory pretty well.

I had my doubts about Sliver Hive but it performs beautifully.

Actually surprised by this. I haven't unlocked every card in it but when I tried it out I always felt one post-blocking declaration Path/Unsummon/Murder away from total blowout.

Kanfy posted:

Just had a guy ragequit on me after trying to make an illusion of my Legendary because it didn't kill them. He got mad and got all "Stainless doesn't know the rules" on me.

It was highly ironic.

To be fair, it's not the rule until July. :v:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Trying to activate Door for GGGGGGGGGG is going to work out badly for you.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 28, 2013

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Heavy neutrino posted:

Is there a cheesy way to get that achievement for mulliganning to 1 card and winning?

It wasn't cheesed but I did it with Avacyn's Glory vs. the zombie encounter and got lucky to land a turn 3 Elite Inquisitor. Still had to make some careful plays and count damage a lot, but yeah.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Man, they should call it "Brainslayer Angel," because even the clinically braindead stand a chance with that thing. I just beat a guy who made a billion or so of the worst decisions in the world and having Baneslayer + Mikaeus drat near got him there anyway.

Maybe my build is bad or something but Mind Maze is not performing to expectations right now.

Loving Life Partner posted:

I got a white/black deck in sealed right now, is Grim Return playable?

Against decks that are just plain better, Grim Return gives you a chance to win if you can outplay them, so that's pretty awesome. Every dickbag who opens all the black bomb rares likes to walk right into it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Heavy neutrino posted:

It seems really goddamned strong to me. If you can sneak through a Lord + Phantasmal image without answer, you'll have the enemy on the ropes as they now have to find a way to deal with your hexproof lord who makes all illusions hexproof.

That's my gameplan and I run threat-heavy, land-light, and keep my spells tempo oriented. I just run into too many situations where the board is already too clogged to profitably attack. I've also had some really outrageous flooding for a deck running 22 land.

I think it might just be a run of godawful luck, but only having one Counterspell matters, too. Jesus Christ gently caress you, Cancel.

For anyone who's curious about the build:

Phantasmal Bear x3
Veiled Sentry x1 - Not a real one-drop but it's a good thing to play when you want to develop the board and leave countermagic or unsummons open, i.e. later in the game when they're gonna play something bigger anyway.
Unsummon x4 - Just absolutely necessary for tempo and occasionally for saving a Lord before you can clone him.
Lord of the Unreal x4
Phantasmal Image x4 - These 8 cards are the heart of the deck.
Krovikan Mist x1
Gossamer Phantasm x4
Counterspell x1
Phantom Warrior x2 - (In the mirror match it's often a coin flip to see who lands these first.)
Blind Phantasm x1
Illusionary Servant x3
Claustrophobia x3
Cancel x2
Dream Fracture x1 - Usually the card draw benefits you more because you'll be the first to untap and use it.
Frost Breath x2
Divination x1
Phantasmal Dragon x1

The only cards right now that I'd consider slotting in would be Ovinize (low likelihood but maybe), second Veiled Sentry, Illusory Angel (probably not at 22 land), Twincast, or Halcyon Glaze.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 29, 2013

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It definitely feels streakier in this game. That could be real, it could be confirmation bias, or it could even be that the current game is closer to random than previous ones that may have had some sort of rules to smooth out your draws. It might also matter that since so many of the decks have a strong tribal element, everything just *feels* swingier because so much hinges on stupid pivotal cards.

Laterbase posted:

On a more serious note I think sealed is skewed towards white and black. They have all the best cards.

Without a doubt. It's a really badly designed pool. Try finding someone who doesn't run black. It's so rare. More rare than alleged Mythic Rare Grave Titan.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Does the Dimir deck actually do anything? Any time I play someone running it online they just spend a few turns stripping my hand, forgetting that I can already swing for 10 on the ground.

I think you'll find it's faster and more consistent if you drop some of the high drops and cut your land count. I'm running 23 land and nothing over 3 mana right now, and it's a beast. I mean you're cutting the sixes, which I think is correct, but maybe give it a try without the dragon, too. My experience with Phantasmal Dragon is either I'm already winning because I've got lords buffing everything, or the dragon isn't going to last at all because I don't.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 30, 2013

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mr. Peepers posted:

I can think of very few situations where I'd want Disorient over another Unsummon. That card is way overcosted at 4CMC for what is often not even as good an effect.

Here's an unintuitive fact about Phantasmal Image: when you choose a creature for it to copy when it comes into play, you are not actually targeting anything. This means it won't trigger the "sacrifice this when it becomes the target of a spell or ability" clause of your Illusions, which means once you copy Lord of the Unreal once, then even if you lose your original you can still make further copies of it off your copy. You can also copy hexproof creatures your opponent controls

Yeah, and Unsummon is a huge card for this deck. Not running 4 is a mistake, I think.

Usual things Unsummon does:
  • Lets yousafely play Lord of the Unreal turn 3 rather than put him out turn 2 and watch him get killed (adjust accordingly if you know your opponent's deck and its capacity for removal).
  • Lets you bounce Lord if your opponent plans to play an Image copying it, forcing him to copy something else or possibly even waste it as it comes in as an 0/0.
  • Kills opposing illusions cheaply and at instant speed.
  • Clears blockers.
  • Makes for potentially big combat blowouts by removing lords, key slivers, or one of multiple blockers.
  • Lets you make use of most of your turn developing your board (spending all your mana but one) and then blanks all or part of your opponent's turn by bouncing what they played at the end of the turn. This can effectively put you a turn ahead!
  • Lets you reuse Snapcaster when that gets unlocked.
  • Wastes enemies' auras and pump spells.

Unsummon is amazing.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

You can use it to make your opponent discard their hand at 2 or less, or be a bad loot for a crucial card if your hand is 3 or more, and versatility is good. But it's not really what this deck wants.

I'd kill a man for Ponder and/or Gitaxian Probe though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I run both Veiled Sentries right now. It's probably among the weakest cards in my list, but I like them over the alternatives. You can't play it like a real one-drop because it'll be horrible and at most probably be a 2/2. But it's pretty hot around turn 4 bounce their guy at EoT and then play Sentry on your turn. By turn 4, that unsummon is probably a pretty major tempo swing and they need to answer it, but answering it adequately probably makes a fairly big sentry. And since you only paid 1 for it, you can leave counter mana open.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

That's how clone effects work with Undying.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

precision posted:

A lot of people are saying Aurapants is bad and I don't know why. The fear of "Auras suck because card advantage" doesn't mean a lot when you consider how little actual removal is in these decks in the first place. Besides that - look at the deck list. Count how many Tutor and Draw cards it has. Yeah. "A fuckton" is right. Now add that it has fantastic Auras and creatures with Lifelink and Double Strike. Armored Ascension + Daybreak Coronet on your flying double striker is a minimum of 14 damage and 14 lifegain in a single turn if they're tapped out or their hand is empty.

The card advantage thing is partially true though you can offset it with Kor Spiritdancer and Mesa Enchantress. It's still going to be a giant tempo swing and drop in overall card quality if someone neutralizes a creature you've pantsed up. You're going to lose the time you spend playing and enchanting it, and cards you've drawn are probably going to be a bit more dilute -- lands, situational cards, etc., in addition to the creatures and enchants you actually need to replace what you lost.

More to the point, though, it's also a slow deck that either needs a giant hail-mary swing to put everything away before it gets killed, or to stick something with lifelink and protect it.

It's probably going to have an easy time crushing slower decks because "make a giant indestructible flying lifelinker that nobody can interact with" is some powerful horseshit. But the fast decks are generally gonna have just enough disruption to keep you off that plan while beating face.

It'll be obnoxious and broken the day someone uses Nomad Mythmaker to attach auras to shrouded creatures though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

gannyGrabber posted:

Man turn to frog is the glitchiest bullshit ever. Had my aegis angel making my runescarred demon indestructible, dude blocks with some bird or whatever and turns to frog making RSD a 1/1 and losing all abilities, and he end up in the graveyard, despite the fact that indestructible should still apply.

It's probably using the new rule for indestructibility that takes effect in two weeks (just like it uses the new legend rule.) Indestructibility used to just be a trait -- a thing something just *was*. But now it's a keyworded ability which means ability-erasing cards like TTF will blank it for the turn.

If you could flicker Aegis Angel, you could reapply the ability since it'll go according to timestampm but if you could flicker it you;d probably rather flicker the demon anyway to get another tutor.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Vorless posted:

Wait, this actually works? gently caress. I beat it by using Protean Hulk and Culling Dais to grab Predator Dragon, having it eat the 2 Virulent Slivers, then Crib Swapping the Gargoyle to swing for 14 but now that all seems like a lot of overthinking.

edit: Realized I'm thinking of the wrong challenge, so maybe I actually played it right

Wow that's hella different than I did it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah, but the solution you described? I did the one that's actually from way differently too. There's like one step you mentioned that was similar to mine.

I used Protean Hulk to dump a bunch of poisonous slivers out and that blue spell to tap down a few guys and Heart Sliver to hasten them.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 1, 2013

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

gannyGrabber posted:

But Aegis Angel says "another target permanent is Indestructible for as long as you control Aegis Angel." And since I still controlled Aegis Angel, it would follow that RSD should be indestructible, right?

It's just a really weird rule change.

Under how indestructibility will work in two weeks, I'm pretty sure you'd parse that as "another permanent gains Indestructibility" rather than "is indestructible." The angel doesn't "re-apply" it because the "loses abilities" effect exists on the same layer as the "gains abilities" one and effectively overwrites it for the turn.

If it didn't work this way, you could play Opalescence (all non-aura enchantments are creatures) and Humility (all creatures lose abilities and become 1/1) and you'd have this unresolvable state where Humility makes Opal lose its abilities, and because it no longer has its ability to make enchants into creatures, it would revert to an enchant, at which point it's no longer covered by Humility so it has its ability again and now it becomes a creature, but wait there's Humility and and and and and...

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The Zombie Guy posted:

I try and throw down my Primordial Hydra and then Cloning it.

That's going to work out badly for you.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Clone effects don't copy the amount of counters on a card and that's the only thing giving your Hydra power and toughness. Try it against the AI and watch your 0/0 Hydra Clone immediately fall into the grave.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Since I've seen this happen a lot online, I want to share a pointer with those of you who are new or don't play a lot of Magic.

Incidental mill is bad (milling is when you put cards from a deck top into the grave). If you can't win off milling, milling a person for a couple cards is just an arbitrary bet that the top two cards are better than the one after that. So when you mill an opponent with Thought Scour, you might mill away something good or you might speed them to exactly the card they need, and you have no way of knowing which is going to happen.

I bring this up because Thought Scour is an awesome card that people are using badly. You often want to point the mill at yourself because you have slightly more use for filling your graveyard than your opponent's. Beacon of Unrest is a really awesome card and you're more likely to be running the big explosive haymakers that you want to reanimate than your opponent, so by milling yourself, you improve your chances of having a good reanimation target. (I'm assuming you're way more likely to run Beacon than Antediluvian Primordial here.)

You also don't want to mill out things your opponent can recur or use from the grave, like Phoenixes, Zombies, Brawn, spells once Snapcaster Mage is out, etc. By milling them, you're risking giving them card advantage by giving them access to more things they can use. You're turning the graveyard into a second hand.

Here are some exceptions where you might want to Thought Scour your opponent instead of yourself:
  • Your opponent is playing Chant of Mul Daya, since if you reanimate an Eldrazi you can laugh at them all day.
  • You've either seen your opponent's hand or watched them clutch a solitary card without a play for the turn, indicating they're holding some kind of trick, and you've made them put it on the top of the deck with Chittering Rats.
  • You've pinned a really good creature to their deck top with Vedalken Dismisser.
  • They've just used Vampiric Tutor, since it means the card they want most is now on the top of the deck.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

President Ark posted:

There's also a green card in sealed (something-or-other beastmaster?) who lets you reveal and topdeck a creature with reach, trample, or deathtouch. If you see your opponent play that guy, mill him.

Mwonvuli Beast Tracker. But is Thought Scour or any other mill in the sealed pool?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So I run both Veiled Sentries. And they're pretty decent. Word of advice to other players: Don't try to Bramblecrush it. It's going to become a creature before resolution and fizzle your spell, leaving them with a 4/4 that YOU paid for.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah that much I knew. When it says "cast" it doesn't mean actually resolving the card. That's actually why I run Sentry -- it plays really nicely with countermagic to make a gigantic tempo swing.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I replaced the 2/3 and one of the 3/4 illusions for two Ovinizes and haven't regretted it. If you run only 23 land, you can frequently win before ever seeing a third land drop, so that's relevant.

It lets you keep swinging through a developed board, provides some quasi removal for huge bastards like Baneslayer, and can lead to big blowouts against anyone relying on targetable lords of any type.

I've also found that the 3/4 hits like a truck, but frequently eats removal, and if you have a lord to protect it, you were probably winning anyway. Tapping out at 3 is a pain and cutting the amount of cards that make you do that is useful.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I really hate how the intense tribal focus makes games so swingy and leads to big dumb streaks of good and bad luck. At least it's the case with Avacyn's Glory and Mind Maze. Less so with Slivers I think because their tribe is an active detriment to the game plan and lets everything they do get annihilated by carefully placed removal.

But you can decide Avacyn and Mind Maze games by a series of yes/no questions. "Is there more than one Champion of the Parish in the opener? Congratulations, you probably win." "Can you successfully copy Lord of the Unreal? Well good news."

Play the Mind Maze mirror and check out what a load of uninteractive horseshit it is. I don't even mean the hexproof everywhere, though that matters. But your games come down to who makes a Lord copy. If both players do, who lands Phantom Warrior or Krovikan Mist first? The decks turn so heavily on key linchpin cards that it factors into game results probably more than actual play.

I play Mind Maze over Avacyn even though I think Avacyn is more powerful just because it gives more opportunities to do things and out-think your opponent but even there it's mostly just playing a bunch of hexproof lords and trying to nullify their last turn or two with Frost Breath, bounce and counters. In a lot of games I'm using spells on my final turn that I don't even need -- tapping down defenders when it's moot, bouncing people, buffing with more lords, etc., just to feel like I've got any degree of agency vs. the shuffler delivering me a win. I feel like the only real say I have in my own wins is in the deck build. Conversely I feel like I have basically zero say in my losses unless it's the result of a misplay.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I mean in the sense of making the wrong choice, but considering I saw a guy make a Phantasmal Image that didn't clone anything and just became a 2/2 with no abilities because two other lords existed to prop it up, I'd say making mistaken clicks is possible too.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Because Avacyn's Glory is so good it doesn't need a zombie hoser. The best builds wouldn't even run Angel of Glory's Rise if it were available because who gives a poo poo about seven-drops when you can win on turn 4 or 5?

Also it does have Elite Inquisitor, which is an outrageous deal.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Fendahleen posted:

Yeah seriously, what the hell is this. I love blue, I love playing blue, and I hate that loving deck. Not because it's bad, hell no, it's offensively ridiculous, but because it's moronic. Crosswinds, much as it was maligned because buhh huhh huhh you can possibly make an inescapable late game win condition with it via one card, felt like it demanded or at least flourished under a degree of careful thinking. This is, what, a dumbed down slivers, only with translucent bears and a bunch of obnoxious Jace quotes instead of whatever this Alien versus Predator poo poo is supposed to be.

And that's another thing, I'm going to get this off my chest here and now, I loving hate the Planeswalkers. It stuns me that in an environment as creatively rich as MtG, they've chosen to make their flagship mainstays these bland, juvenile nonentities that Rob Liefeld might think were a little underdeveloped, each supposedly representing a wildly different element yet each burdened with exactly the same empty, narcissistic personality. Okay wait, hold on, I just had an idea for a card okay, it's Unsummon, okay, but let's rename it "Jace's Bloodfart" and have a picture of Jace on it, oh and let's change the flavor text to "If you were half as good as me, you'd be able to counter this - Unfortunately for you, you're not." - Jace Bellend. And make sure we keep up the boring soap opera bullshit that only morons care about so we can tarnish some more good, original ideas with the terrible millstone of these Mary Sue shitbags and shackle them to our trademark banality for another loving year. Thank you for coming, here's a massive picture of Chandra dripping with digital camera and dominating the menu screen.

In fairness, Mind Maze can have a few critical decision points where you're weighing your ability to take the game home without further board development vs. your ability to buy a few more turns with tempo options. You get some interesting choices in that scenario, and Veiled Sentry becomes really interesting about then. But you're right that it's effectively another lords deck and that's dull as gently caress.

And also that Jace is the most boring piece of poo poo character. He apparently tests very well but I've never met anyone who likes the character Jace, so it must be among a pretty low-level group that isn't as "heavily enfranchised" as me, to use WotC speak.

Here's my list of planeswalker characters I like:
Ajani Vengeant (later, older Ajanis that go pure white are boring as gently caress mechanically and flavorfully)
Liliana: Kinda cornball and way too cheesecakey sometimes, but I love the whole "sell your soul to three different demons and then gradually eliminate all of them" thing. It's black in a cool and interesting way rather than just "MUST KILL ALL THAT LIVES."
Teferi: A former class clown, a bit of a trickster, a manipulator of time, and a man without a home. Give this fucker his spark back and let him kill Jace.

Honorable mention for Sorin who is boring but at least finds himself torn between being selfish and the responsibilities that come with his power.

precision posted:

I guess that new Sigismund guy is alright.
That's just a name they made up to have a deck helmed by Silverblade Paladin.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

botany posted:

I'm getting a strange bug playing against the Unruly Mob encounter. At some point during the game, all of UM's creatures indiscriminately get +2/+2, then once it's my turn, all of my creatures get that effect, too. Thing is, as far as I can tell, there's nothing on the battlefield (or the graveyards) that could cause this. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm a bit perplexed. (Playing Jace's deck, if that matters.)

The first half is probably Thraben Doomsayer's fateful hour ability after you've hit them down to 5 life. It shouldn't be applying to you as well but maybe you cloned it and dropped to 5 or less also?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

precision posted:

The most important thing for new players to understand is how the stack works, specifically that destroying the source of an effect won't stop the effect from happening.

Also things like Doomsday Specter, which says "when this enters the battlefield return a blue or black creature to your hand". A lot of new players don't understand that this means you'll have to return HIM to hand if you have no other targets.

That effect is so cool on Sawtooth Loon.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Masks of Dimir landing a first-turn Thought Scour really wrecks the clones encounter (and most others).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The first 2 unlocks are showing on every deck now. But yeah you need the promo codes to get them. Man I wanna get that extra Counterspell.

• Locked thread