Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otcho
May 4, 2012

This game's been lying here for three months, untouched safe for the first few hours. Good thing you're playing this so I don't have to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We will not have a Swaine death counter in this LP, but trust us. It happens a lot.

FYI: I'm integrating the sidequests into the main videos as opposed to screenshot updates for now. Screenshot updates will happen again when they happen.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh! I didn't know there was so much to do at sea besides beeline for that objective marker.

Have you met all the monsters you could have recruited for free at the Monster Sage's place now?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Farewell, Broom Broom. My sacrifice to use you will never be forgotten.

Glazius posted:

Have you met all the monsters you could have recruited for free at the Monster Sage's place now?

Yeah that's all of them. Not the most spectacular bunch.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Ni No Kuni threads never seem to be very hoppin' and boppin', but this is a good LP ya'lls and the Fairyground is one of my favorite places in the game. Magical Osaka!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh hey, good to see this is still going. I was following a previous LP of this that seems to have been abandoned for now and was hoping this one would eventually catch up (nearly there actually) and was worried. Guess I'll pipe up and say there's at least one more person that's going to be watching this when its gotten to the point I left off at before.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
Brian Protheroe really needs to put out a spoken word album as Shadar. That would be amazing.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It reminds me of Neil Kaplan's voicework of Wiseman in aten Kaitos Origins, and is therefore officially awesome.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
If I ever tragically fall off a building to my death, I know what my death scream will be now.

KNIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCKKKKKEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSS

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Too big an ask" is what they were punning on, actually.

I am kind of disappointed that spells hardly do anything in terms of visual effects.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Oliver accidentally says what we're thinking.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Glazius posted:

I am kind of disappointed that spells hardly do anything in terms of visual effects.

Working off of this and the last video, are the spells at least pages you can read in your ebook? Or are they just the things the game pops up with a crude rune and the name of the spell? If there isn't at least some funny flavor text to go along with all these spells you've been picking up, that'd just be too disappointing.

As for the thing you'll inevitably have to grab, I'm assuming it's something dumb like "go find Pea's other half in ni no kuni land," only somehow more tedious and annoying than that already sounds.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Well I just got done with Part 12. My god, the comedy routine is actually funny! Who wrote that, and why were they not allowed to write the rest of the game?!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is it me, or would Dumple's glim attack have killed all the little jellies all by itself?

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT

Shoeless posted:

Well I just got done with Part 12. My god, the comedy routine is actually funny! Who wrote that, and why were they not allowed to write the rest of the game?!

Then the game would be even longer, because they'd have to overbalance the rest of the game with more tediousness.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

The Littlies remind me of those Little Tikes chunky people toys.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

slycooper20 posted:

Then the game would be even longer, because they'd have to overbalance the rest of the game with more tediousness.

At least the tedious bits wouldn't be as tedious with that kind of writing... Pointless side dungeon that doesn't really serve much purpose is a lot more bearable when the dialogue doesn't just drag on and on and is horribly insipid.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
So while I continue to try and fail to get together with Travis while he's busy getting ready to move, look at another thing from Olivia:

E: And another:

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 28, 2014

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Welcome to hog heaven.

Translation: we're all dead.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
A little bird, Swaine? Are you sure you weren't drunk and thought the Cawtermaster was a real bird?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, hang on a second. Thunderspark was hitting that tank's weakness, but it resisted Pulse? What's the difference?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Glazius posted:

Wait, hang on a second. Thunderspark was hitting that tank's weakness, but it resisted Pulse? What's the difference?

Pulse is a non-elemental attack. It's basically just a magic face punch.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

ThornBrain posted:

Welcome to hog heaven.

Translation: we're all dead.

Well poo poo. I know what city layout idea I'm stealing for the next time I'm GMing.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

Is Hamelin one big homage to Hayao Miyazaki's love of pigs or is it just coincidence?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Bricoleur posted:

Is Hamelin one big homage to Hayao Miyazaki's love of pigs or is it just coincidence?

All of the towns have an animal theme--the Cowlipha, the Meowjesty, and...uh...the pig guy. I guess you need some sort of theme, so animals are as good as any.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
He is probably called the Boaron.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Spoiler alert: we don't care about spoilers in this part.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Tombstone Trail is a really cool looking location, I probably should have come back here at some point but eh.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

ThornBrain posted:

The good about this game has mostly dried up, so I'm not going to try to look for the diamonds in the rough anymore. From now on it's straight-up mockery.

This seems to happen with alarming frequency with the games you LP Thornbrain.

Please never change, your stuff is awesome. :allears:

Edit: Also will the Bomberman Megathread ever return? I love those LPs. They're just so ridiculous, and the lack of stuff to talk about after the basics of gameplay are discussed means that it's really open for you and Yoshi and Travis to just be crazy and provide really funny commentary, which I for one really enjoy. And just think, without them we wouldn't have terrified Platypus. And that would be terrible.

Double edit: Wow, this is just poor game design. If Marcus is so powerful, why isn't he the one going off to save the worl- sorry, 'wourlde'? I mean he beat it with two blasts and he's barely winded. And the monster didn't exactly seem to be crippled by the main character's battle. I really wish this wasn't such a common trope in JRPGs, the boss fight where it doesn't matter whether you win or not except that if you die the game won't progress so you have to win just so that you can lose and make another character look more powerful.

Triple edit: Wait, how does Marcus not know Swaine is his brother? Swaine just broke down and had all those exclamatory remarks right in front of him, he can't have not heard them! Why is he then surprised when they disappear after casting the spell, he knows what they're doing! What even is this?

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 21, 2014

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
I'm finally glad that you guys are going to give the game the thrashing it deserves. Looking forward to the rest.

Also, the world needs more shocked Drippy/Link faces. Hell, I'd love to see some form of this in everything you guys do.

EDIT: I'd love it if that last cutscene just turns into one of those evangelical services, where all they say is "Do you believe?" and "I believe!", and then gospel starts playing.

slycooper20 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 21, 2014

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Shoeless posted:

Edit: Also will the Bomberman Megathread ever return? I love those LPs. They're just so ridiculous, and the lack of stuff to talk about after the basics of gameplay are discussed means that it's really open for you and Yoshi and Travis to just be crazy and provide really funny commentary, which I for one really enjoy. And just think, without them we wouldn't have terrified Platypus. And that would be terrible.

It's dead. I lost interest, and no one else wanted to take part. I'm not against playing one of the games for a stream or something, but no megathread.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

ThornBrain posted:

I'm not against playing one of the games for a stream or something, but no megathread.

Pretty please this one?

If not, then Bomberman 64? My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I remember that one being thought of as pretty good. As a one-off streamed thing it wouldn't be as taxing as an exhaustive 100%ing run, I'd imagine. Whatever the case, I'd just enjoy seeing some more Bomberman from you.

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic. So Ni No Kuni! As bad as the "Hey do you remember that thing we just talked about fifteen seconds ago? No? Here I'll repeat it." parts are, it does seem like an interesting narrative overall; I like that the White Witch's first instinct isn't to just blame Shadar because he has failed her for the last time!, but instead to realize that this means that there's someone aiding him, and to not jump to conclusions about who it is. I really like that. A little confused as to how if she knows he was brought back in time and returned with Mornstar, how can she not know that it was Eagledude who did it, since he appeared to and spoke to Oliver, but eh. I can believe he is powerful enough to have a way for his appearance there to not come through in Oliverwatch Magic TV.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Ok so when casting breach time why didn't Oliver just do it to like a month before the game and y'know save his mother's life?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ok so when casting breach time why didn't Oliver just do it to like a month before the game and y'know save his mother's life?

He's not a clever boy.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Look writing is hard, okay? You have all these words, and people expect them to make sense and not contradict one another...

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Time travel becoming part of the plot always did strike me as a bit...needless. I think they make it work by the end though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yes! Now we've got the power to go on at least four fetch quests in order to defeat Shadar!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Glazius posted:

Yes! Now we've got the power to go on at least four fetch quests in order to defeat Shadar!

You know, I felt like the pacing was weird since we'd just gotten to the, what, third sage? But it didn't feel like it was close to endgame (haven't even met the White Witch yet!), and I was wondering how the game would continue on. And now I know!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
There'll be a screenshot update today and the next video tomorrow. A lot of the sidequests and bounty hunts are clones of earlier ones now, so I'll be skipping quite a few of them in the update. I will have done them all though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Screenshot Update 5: Drowning in Density

Following Tombstone Trail and the acquisition of Travel, the game drops a sidequest avalanche on my rear end. Most of these are the standard broken hearts and clone bounty hunts, so I did them but they won't be covered anymore. This still ended up being nearly 90 screenshots, so strap in.

Our first stop is Old Father Oak, who we can regale with our tale of time travel bullshit for some stuff.

None of it is useful this time.

I also went back to Autumnia and got myself a zombie.

I admit that connection is obscure, even for me.

And a cheeseburger I missed.

The brother in the Hamelin side alley wanted us to check the forest for a fungus he can use to heal his sick sister.

That's a spear weapon I give to Shiro!?.

She means Carrot Cake. Luckily they're a piece of piss to make.

There's also a green chest nearby for Swaine to grab.

And it's even less useful than what Old Father Oak gave me.

We give the fungus to the brother, but yet another problem besets his efforts.

We'll take care of them later in this update. In the meantime, we help this woman who was lacking restraint several months ago, so she's likely shopped herself out of her own house.

Horace is hanging out on the bridge nearby, and he has another riddle for us.

Nazcaan script becomes more relevant in later updates. In a couple cases the game (Drippy) translates it for you, which I'm kind of okay with. It's a pain to translate yourself. To wit, I didn't even bother looking in the book and just told Horace the answer.

The joke is wizard clothing is always made of the finest fibers. Horace's and Oliver's share material from the Sky Tree. And no, that doesn't mean poo poo. Vacate is a fairly useful spell though; it allows us to escape to the entrances of dungeon areas, which are places Travel can't be used.

We'll see Horace again in due time.

During the Swaine and the Sea video, you may have noticed this guy hanging out in the area nearby Castaway Cove. I left him until after Hamelin because he's a tough fucker; he kicked my rear end first playthrough.

R proves himself several times this update.

The four pirate ships mentioned earlier are also nearby. They just move in a circle, so they're easy to sneak up on. Every ship's crew is made of zombies.

The third ship will have four zombies instead of three...

...and the fourth ship has the captain.

It's this ship where things get hairy. I pull it off with lots of Phoenix Feathers and patience, and in a nice bit of situational irony, ADAMANT gets enough XP to metamorphose into the exact zombies I was fighting the whole time.

Returning to the brother gets us more pirate stuff. I probably gave it to ADAM 'cause I'm a smartass.

Jumping over to The Fairygrounds, this fairy needs me to gather some herbs for his sickness.

Now I wish even more that one of them died when they jumped in the river. Just a few steps further Ni no Kuni; that's all you needed.

Luckily he wants items I've already farmed the gently caress out of this entire LP.

One of the more amusing broken hearts is this shopkeeper. He simply doesn't talk to people, and in all fairness, I agree with the guy. He's not brokenhearted; he's an introvert. But of course Oliver and Drippy operate on "introverts aren't real" and decide he needs fixing.

In the process of writing this update, I went from being amused by this sidequest to personally offended by it.

Whatever. We've already established that they're terrible characters anyway.

And another cheeseburger I missed.

We can't go an update without catching up on our favourite Shadar-off-pissers. This time the husband has lost his nerve.

Also this guy again.

This fairy has a monster-killing fetch quest for us.

It's similar to the quest earlier where we had to use frost attacks on the desert flower monsters to get their feathers. This time we have to blind the Whambats before we kill them, and since that's a status effect, we get a lot more leeway in terms of time. We also don't have to worry as much about your allies taking your kill, since you want them dead fast.

The most amusing part of this sidequest though is when you give the slapsticks back. The guy proceeds to talk to himself, at one point referencing Steffan Rhodri, the English voice actor for Drippy.

The gentleman's diary can be found in the cave full of blue crabs.

We have a mystery quest available by someone inside the forest. This one is nearby the Collum I killed earlier.

This one will have to be saved for later, since I don't have access to Jade Marbles yet. I complete it two videos from now.

In the meantime, I have enough merit stamp cards to collect two more rewards.

There's a bounty hunt hanging out nearby the entrance to Old Smoky. She ends up being a running gag set of hunts that all take place here, each one progressively higher up the volcano and all trying to make it erupt.

She's pretty creepy.

Luckily she's been here a while and is relatively weak now, especially to Shiro!?.

In the Golden Grove, a fairy tells us that Hyperboars have taken over the forest.

They're also not too tough at this point.

Kill all of them, and the big daddy Full Boar spawns in front of the fairy.

He's a good bit tougher than his kids.

But luckily Tingle is an area-of-effect motherfucker.

A kind of depressing unique bounty hunt is hanging out nearby Tombstone Trail.

You can get tons of "the fug?" jokes out of this guy. He already looks confused and lost.

With him killed and all of the other quests and bounty hunts turned in, I can grab another reward.

However the Old Smoky brigade has only just invaded.

He's just a clone of the ogre we fought in the past who Gascon and Marcassin were harassing.

Shiro!?'s having none of that.

We go back to Swift Solutions, and yet another monster attacks Old Smoky.

She's just as creepy as her sister.

And Shiro!?'s just as effective against her.

Killing her gets R enough experience to metamorphose his third and final time.

I decide to make him a Soldier Bumbler.

HYDORAAAAH

Thus concludes this overlong screenshot update that was even stupidly longer before I cut out the malminutia. Next time: we scale Skull Mountain and confront the dreaded Sky Pirate Kublai in our search for the stones of Mornstar. And we get a big loving dragon.

• Locked thread