Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---Game Description---
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is a collaboration between esteemed developers Level-5 (Dark Cloud, Dragon Quest VIII, Professor Layton) and famed animators Studio Ghibli (Hayao Miyazaki's studio, though Miyazaki himself wasn't involved in this game). The game utilizes a semi-active battle mechanic and a Pokemonesque monster collecting/battling mechanic to create a fun fight system with a lot of staying power, and some tough and often drawn-out bosses. Granted this means every fight is composed of real-time menus, but I never got tired of it, just some of the fights themselves. And the characters..
The game is also visually gorgeous with a lot of attention to detail, as per Studio Ghibli's track record. The art style combines a cel-shaded look to the characters with a hand-painted look to the backgrounds, all of which blends very smoothly. Occasional cutscenes are animated directly by Studio Ghibli, and references to their films abound. The music is beautifully orchestrated by Ghibli's collaborative composer Joe Hisaishi, and there isn't a piece of music that isn't a joy to hear.

However, fun as the game is to play, it's not exactly fun to sit through. There's a lot of dialogue. A lot of superfluous, unnecessary, idiotic dialogue. By terrible, character-less characters. And most of the voice acting is crap. But hey, that's why Travis and I are here: to mock its brains out.

The story is such:
Oliver is a young American boy with no personality living in an idyllic 1950's suburb, until his mom dies because a witch wanted to kill him. Seriously. The distraught Oliver holes up in his room and ends up crying over an ugly little doll- his tears turn the doll into Mr. Drippy (Steffan Rhodri), a fairy from another world who was cursed by the evil Shadar (Brian Protheroe). Hyper-Welsh Drippy reveals that Oliver is The Purehearted One: the one destined to defeat Shadar and save Drippy's world. To sweeten the deal, Drippy drops a hint that could lead to reviving Oliver's dead and buried mother. Follow Oliver as he travels to Another World to become a motherfucker wizard and possibly turn his late mom into a zombie.

---LP Description---
This LP is split between roughly 85% video updates and 15% screenshot updates for the main game, with videos being primarily dedicated to continuing the story and screenshots dedicated to optional sidequests. Post-game content is mostly screenshots.
Travis (BigTUnit1) joins me as my co-commentator, having beaten the game himself and having more than a few things to say about game design philosophy.

---Additional Links---
Travis' (formerly simultaneous) LPs of Shadow of the Colossus, Sleeping Dogs, and Bioshock Infinite

My (formerly simultaneous) LPs of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, The Legend of PizzaJoe: Majora's Mask, and Survival Kids

Brian Protheroe, Shadar's voice actor, at ReverbNation - Why? Because this guy rules.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshot Update 1: Post-Well Sidequests

Screenshot Update 2: A Bit of Al and Moonie

Screenshot Update 3: Animal Magnetism

Screenshot Update 4: Raj Wears White Socks

Screenshot Update 5: Drowning in Density

Screenshot Update 6: Something About Snow

Screenshot Update 7: Ogrrr You rear end in a top hat

Screenshot Update 8: The Frost Unleashed

Screenshot Update 9: Manna Manna

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshot Missions 1: Monster Mash

Screenshot Missions 2: Continent Hopping

Screenshot Missions 3: The Conductor's Rifts 1/3

Screenshot Missions 4: Horace

Screenshot Missions 5: Fairy Hunting

Screenshot Missions 6: Solosseum Ranks E-C --- [Video version]

Screenshot Missions 7: Solosseum Ranks B-S --- [Video version]

Screenshot Missions 8: The Conductor's Rifts 2/3

Screenshot Missions 9: The Conductor's Rifts 3/3

DS version streams
These were aired to see some of the differences between our PS3 version and the original Japan-only DS version. We forewent doing a full playthrough because it'd be at least as long as the LP.

Stream 1/3 - Intro, Deep Dark Wood, Getting lost in Ding Dong Dell
Stream 2/3 - Ding Dong Well, King "Frank"
Stream 3/3 - Looking through the real Wizard's Companion, Golden Grove, Ending abruptly

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(By Douloug, Tumblr)

(By Rahonavis)

(By Princess Futon)

(By Melaneus)

(By an-artist-complex, Tumblr)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 21, 2015

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Since the first part was all cutscene, here's Part 2 early, with more of Travis and myself than you can handle.
The update schedule from hereon-out will be every Monday.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
His voice actor is Welsh. Steffan Rhodri. Never seen anything he's in, but apparently he was in Deathly Hallows part 1.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Anoia posted:

I've been looking forward to this. You're going to let us suggest ridiculous names for minions, yes?

Possibly. My intention was to name them after characters from our older LPs or other videos we've done, but you all can certainly make suggestions. I have the next two familiars named already, though.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Cats, fish, birds, and racism. Welcome to Ding Dong Dell.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Seriously, gently caress that cat monkey.

Just realized I should have named it "Rick".

E: Shadar's voice actor is TV/stage actor and musician Brian Protheroe. Turns out he had a minor hit in the 70s with "Pinball", and his music in general is quite good; it's like an oddball Soft Rock.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 8, 2013

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

MelvinBison posted:

I can't recall the reference so I'll just assume you mean "with a silent P".

I'm going all the way back to Bomberman Hero with that one, but I get ya.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Screenshot Update 1: Post-Well Sidequests

Having beaten Hickory Dock and gotten our hands on a decent wand, it's time we cleared out some side missions and miscellanea before we head to Al Mamoon. Since nobody said if they actually give a poo poo if I transcribe the dialogue, I have forgone the minutia.

First on the list are a pair of broken hearts. One is standing right in front of Swift Solutions with her husband.

Since we're only aware of one [positive] emotion at this point, enthusiasm, it's obvious what we need to give this lady.

I grabbed a piece of enthusiasm during a video update, so she's already as good as set. This game rewards overachievers. Not that it couldn't have stood to drop the "Will you accept [x]?" when you already have everything. Just a "Would you like to give [x] now?" would have sped this up drastically.

Having lacked plenty of enthusiasm in my life, I can tell you a pinch of it is not a counterbalance.

But hey, a simple quest nets us some simple rewards. Dumple will like that.

If I hadn't grabbed the enthusiasm earlier, I could have gotten a piece from this Grimalkin sitting right behind them. Or alternately, you can use him to grab another piece when you're finished with the couple.

Inside Swift Solutions are a pair of Bounty Hunts, which you'll see later this update.

The Merit Awards are the various, mostly passive upgrades we can get for filling out the merit cards. I will collect all of them throughout the LP, so you'll see every one in action. Thus I will leave what they do until they have been activated.

Our next broken heart is this man staring at the moat outside the Cawtermaster.

Sure I'll go get some enthu- here have some enthusiasm.

Helping him allows me to complete my first Merit Stamp Card. And more bread.

With our enthusiasm slot free, what else is there to do but to go get another one! This Grimalkin is preparing for the Tug-Of-Tail [he said out of unreliable memory] competition, all the while never moving from this spot or there ever being such a competition that you visibly see. Never mind. I feel empty without my piece of cat man heart.

Standing in front of the Cat's Cradle is this caricature of something that I'm sure Travis would have a field day voicing.

This charmingly obnoxious rich man is a recurring sidequest figure. He travels across the world writing his memoirs. His recurring quest?

He loses it somewhere.

The rich guy gives us a few hints as to the location of the book, and then we're off.

Since people don't spawn on the overworld, the quest markers you see on the map will usually just be for Bounty Hunts, such as is the case here. The rich man's diary never gets a quest marker, mind, even if the diary is found on the overworld. It's up to you to sniff it out with his hints alone.

Our first Bounty Hunt is a "Gruffian" wandering around the beach nearby Ding Dong Dell. Bounty Hunts operate slightly differently than normal monster encounters:

The monster does not engage the player or run away. The player instead approaches the monster and activates the battle by choice.

The Gruffian turns out to be an advanced form of the Ruffs, which we saw as early as Part 2 and which act as wingmen during the fight. About half of the Bounty Hunts follow this pattern of having the Bounty be a tougher version of an average monster we've seen before, and they'll usually be flanked by their subordinates.

Bounty Hunts can also be single, very tough monsters that are unique to the Bounties and never seen anywhere else; these do however all seem to be different forms of the same 3-4 species. It'll be a while before we see any of the unique Bounties.

The Ruffs are all dispatched fairly easily.

30 EXP may not seem like much, but remember that the overworld monsters only give about 2-5 EXP each, and none of the monsters in Ding Dong Well gave us that much. Thus shows how Bounties are a good way to keep your levels up as you go along. Say what you will about the game's writing, pacing, or hand-holding, but its difficulty curve is fairly consistent.

The next target, the Sleepeafowl's cousin Grumpeafowl, is hanging around an ominous rib cage nearby the Deep Dark Wood.

Again, they're dispatched without much fuss.

Dumple did run out of stamina, so I resorted to finishing off the last one by twatting it with a stick.

The rich gentleman's diary can be found in this area to the East of the Deep Dark Wood. His hint as to its location was that it was on a little island with a pair of trees.

Some sniffing around, and Oliver starts screaming.

We do this every town.

This is a sidequest I didn't do until I was almost through my first playthrough. Nobody in the game (from what I could remember) outright mentions the Forest Folk or how to find them. Presumably you're supposed to come across them by accident, because...

...to find them, you walk into the exact right spot of the forest in which they live. I remember doing this exact thing early on and never activating the entrance. It's fair to say it was a very quick quest by that point.

The Forest Folk are not in every patch of trees you see on the overworld, so it takes some investigating to find their dwellings.

Inside these forests are miniature maps of sorts. There will be between 2-5 locals standing around and usually a treasure chest or two. These forests also have two entrances/exits at opposite ends of the map.

The chest holds a Battler's Badge, which was far beyond useless by the time I first found it. Dig Oliver's creepy face up there.

Our quest maestro is this little boy with a bowl cut I would have been envious of back in the days when I had one. He says his forest has become infested with Rhinobores, which are cousins of the mini-rhino/armadillo things we see on the main field.

Yes, all the tribesmen speak like Tonto.

Having accepted the quest, the Rhinobores spawn on the overworld surrounding the forest. And never once enter the forest. And are therefore no danger to the people who never loving leave the forest, but whatever. Dumple time.

You know the drill.
He said and instantly regretted.

In sidequests where a specific number of enemies are to be killed, the game will pop-up with a running tally of your progress each time you kill another one. This applies to both sidequests where a specific number of creatures spawn in an area for the quest (such as this one), or for when you have to kill a number of pre-existing enemies on the overworld (which we'll see in the next screenshot update). It's more useful in the latter where there's no visual way to gauge how many you've killed thus far. In the former it's just kind of condescending.

Likewise, the game will let you know when you've killed as many enemies as needed. I believe this also applies to certain fetch-quests, but I will not know for sure for a couple parts.

Our eyeless friend rewards us with some coffee, which knowing the types of coffee in this game, I did not expect a tribal community to have.

Before I leave the mountainous area, I wanted to show off this enemy, since after this update I will have no reason to go back to where it spawns ever again.

It's called an Inphant. Guess I'm a beby kyllar.

We return the book to Mr. Pants here and get one of the few accessory types that humans can wear.

Turning in Bounty Hunts is a surprisingly joyous occasion. "Yay, dead dogs!"

I told you we'd see new generations of ice cream. Salted Ice Cream is also very useful as an ingredient when we get to crafting items. Practically every type of ice cream branches off from Salted Ice Cream.

Turning in the Bounties also completes a second Stamp Card. Time to turn these two in for prizes.

The Jumping Jack perk... well, read the description. It looks kinda like:

Yes, the game tries to convince you that looks cool. At least the game admits that it's completely useless, though I believe I've found it useful in fights as a dodge maneuver for familiars.

Let's see it in action a bit better:

I

feel

a

twa- I also grab an actually useful perk: Jack Be Nimble. This allows me to run a bit faster on the overworld. It's nothing compared to the traveling capabilities we'll get much later in the game, but it's a start at least.

That completes the sidequests for now. Before I end the update, a couple things involving chocolate:

With Ding Dong Well completed, we can go back to Old Father Oak and tell him the story. He will reward us with some Milk Chocolate and remind us about feeding the treats to our familiars. Travis and I went over that in Part 2, so we can ignore that.

Also, like I mentioned in Part 2, I went on to upgrade Dumple's Familiarity. This allows me to level up his attributes an additional 10 times. Familiarity is visualized by the heart meters, and the hearts visibly grow as you feed them.

As better demonstrated by- wait, who is this?!

To Be Continued

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Yeah it changes the way our brain processes the flavour and amps it. Cuts out bitterness at the taste buds as well.
Prepare to be Alton Brown'd.

E: BEFORE I FORGET! Travis gave an art request to an-artist-complex which I'm sure you all will find amusing:

Yes, that's me as Oliver and Travis as Dumple.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 14, 2013

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Oliver's thoughts on this little guy are the only time he ever says what I'm thinking.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This week we meet our first teammate and have a blast making fun of everything, including characters that don't even exist.

A small heads up: I'm going to be focusing my attention on other projects for the immediate future, so this LP will likely go into hiatus until at least early August. The screenshot update will still be this Friday. In the meantime, I recently guested on Sundowner and Alchanii's LP of Borderlands 2. Won't you check it out and enjoy my rampant ADD? And our innate ability to keep a single joke going for almost 40 minutes?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Screenshot Update 2: A Bit of Al and Moonie

Now that Esther and Rashaad have joined us, it's time to forsake them in favour of the usual guff.

First, talking to this man will grab us a dose of kindness for semi-immediate use.

This lady is freaking out about the Boneheads wandering around outside attacking travelers. Why it's specifically the skeletons and not the violent, walking babana bunches or turban assholes, I have no idea.

Here we have a sweet little sidequest to deliver a lunch to this woman's husband. Aww. Unfortunately I either didn't do this sidequest or accidentally deleted the recording. Either way, whoops.

Nearby her, this kid is being a jerkoff to his friend after borrowing a book. And since kids aren't shitheads naturally, he must be brokenhearted.

A dose of the old man's kindness, and we get a more likely explanation for the kid acting up.

As I pointed out in the video, Horace is standing nearby one of the milk fountains. He has an interesting series of riddles for you every time you talk to him. Figuring out the riddles nets you a new spell.

To figure out the riddles, often Horace will give you a supplementary page of the Wizard's Companion. In this case, it's one of the fairy tale-like Twelve Tales of Wonder. This one, The Cowardly Prince and the Lion, was kindly uploaded in full by Kotaku. Read it; it's a charming, and quite classical, parable of bravery.

To read any page of the Wizard's Companion, simply pull it up on the main menu and navigate with the control sticks and shoulder buttons. It's often a very useful, if slightly clunky, tool you can use to figure out things like where to find items or which items can be crafted into something new. I'd post more detailed screenshots, but ^ that's the resolution you're getting.

To solve Horace's riddles, simply type in the answer without any typos or what have you. Capos are a different matter: he doesn't care if you scream the answer at him.

Our reward is the decently useful Draw Poison, which functions as a poison cure in the event we run out of Poison-Be-Gones. It's most useful to have some of the items on hand either way, since obviously Draw Poison requires magic which can be better suited to attacking, and our inventory is called the Bottomless Bag for a reason.

Horace hints at what the next town will look like when you finish talking to him. Seems the next town will be by the coast.

This sidequest spans the entire next video. Raj here, who's apparently a dude, is in need of some ingredients for Tikka Mahala. It's basically rice curry, and it heals 150 HP, the same amount as a hamburger.

One of the ingredients is a set of special spices, which we need to grab from the Sheikh of Spices in town.

But first, another dose of courage to be used so quickly that I question the point of not allowing you to stack them.

Unfortunately, the Sheikh has lost his enthusiasm for the sole purpose of his existence. So let's extort a few more Merit Stamps out of the guy.

And a lunch, I suppose.

Thus why this sidequest spans the next video. The spicy seeds are found in the ground of a certain location we will explore in the second half of the video. Turmeric Roots are dropped from one of the enemies.

To close this update, a couple more bounties to be tackled at a later, more overpowered date...

...and a man so scared out of his wits, he can't get his ice cream. Most people scream for ice cream. This guys screams while running away from it.

That is adorable.

Next time, Travis and I will travel to the Temple of the Sages.

Sure, that one.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 31, 2013

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
The card rewards are exclusive to them, and yeah they're worth saving up for. But you need to unlock a whole row of them before the line below opens up.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Plenty for me to piss about in this part.
Update on the overall LP at the end. Very short screenshot update to follow tomorrow.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Screenshot Update 3: Animal Magnetism

Now that we have the ability to assault and seduce wild animals, let's jump right into it, shall we?

Travis suggested I grab a Clubber Cub for its quick speed and strong attacks. A speedster is always useful in this game.

Perfect.

When you've gotten through the Temple of Trials, this Familiar scientist named Derwin is ready to give us a sidequest. We see him every town, and every time he wants us to capture 2-3 specific familiars, usually from the monsters right outside the town. His name is probably a play on Darwin and "derp".

What, that we're being watched? Don't be paranoid, you child's parody of intelligent people.

There's two Familiars I'll never loving use. The Bunchers have no speed whatsoever, and the Bandits- well just gently caress them.

When you've caught the familiars and brought them to Derwin, he'll briefly get lost in his own world as he carefully inspects the inside of his hat.

But hey, at least we get some metamorphosis drops. I can use one of them immediately on Gogo.

Ha, now you're too weak to be used in battle! Suffer with DUMPLE!!!

Next time: we climb Old Smoky to stop it erupting. Which is exactly how it works.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Update on the capture situation: I have the splitter and all the necessary cables...except for the fiber optic sound cable, which was never mentioned anywhere I looked regarding the splitter. Either way, I don't think my capture card can do 1080p anyway, but the video quality is very clear regardless, so there should still be a bump in overall quality once the audio cable comes in within the next week or so.

But that's okay, because the always brilliant Olivia graces us with more fancomics:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The LP returns with a trek up the local volcano, more reasons to love the familiars, and more reasons to not particularly care for our heroes.

Screenshot update this Friday.

Also I'm doing a Nuzlocke of Fallout 3 because why the hell not.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Screenshot Update 4: Raj Wears White Socks

So in the previous video I completed a sidequest involving killing 10 boneheads. I'd put a murder pride joke here, but it's hard to feel sorry for something that was already dead.

Also in town is that dapper old gentleman who is the biggest drat liar in the desert right now. His diary is hiding beside a tree at the foot of Old Smoky.

One of the bounty hunts available is an advanced version of our tiger dude. He's hanging out far off to the East of the desert, just beyond the Temple of Trials.

Tiger monster for ant people, I suppose. I wish they gave him white socks.

Outside of the Golden Grove is the next bounty hunt. He's a special monster that only shows up for the bounties. There are 3-4 types of these special monsters, most of them recurring, but this one only shows up to give me an item the Sheik of Spices needs. He is a tree.

And Dumple shoots fire. Easy to see how this goes.

Since I got the spicy seeds during the video, that takes care of the spices sidequest. So now whatever the hell happened in the video should make a little more sense.

Another sidequest I decided to hold off on until now is the lunchbasket delivery. A hopeless romantic wife in Al Mamoon wants me to deliver her hopeless romantic lunch to her hopeless romantic husband. Drippy asserts that the monsters get more frisky when they smell the food that's been sitting in my bag for weeks...

...but I'm kind of not in any danger at all.

I'd like to see a poem by this guy in the grips of heartbreak. You will know "visceral".

Returning to Old Father Oak at this time will net us a few Pheonix Feathers. My relationship with my partners is tenuous at best, so the most these get used is for Oliver himself.

Also HDMI footage looks great unless you upscale it from half-sized images you saved when you weren't paying attention. :smuggo:

Moving on to Old Smoky and the traveler's inexplicably heat-resistant-paper book.

This diary goes through some incredible abuse throughout the game. It's a wonder it doesn't flat-out disintegrate by the end.

Drippy is so hungry for curry that he's eating sand to hold him over.

Returning to the loving wife grabs us the lamest reward ever.

And returning the diary earns us some peculiar armour that only specific familiars can wear. It's not the most effective armour, and I don't hold on to it for that long.

After several weeks we can return to Raj for some curry and...well...

...you already know.

Finally, we close with some bounty rewards.

And two pretty useful Merit Rewards.

The former is self-explanatory. The latter sometimes causes us to pick up two of an item when we forage for them on those sparkling spots on the overworld.

Next time: we will head to Castaway Cove and make a new friend who is actually useful and is not Swaine.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

SEA?!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Cream_Supreme posted:

Are you going to be posting the wizard pages with the boss and area information? I am interested as to what they say.

No, can't be assed. Go here for a pdf of the whole thing: http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=51171

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Also this is not an LP where I want guest commentators. The dynamic Travis and I have works and I want to keep it that way; even Yoshi I'm hesitant to bring in for this.

And don't worry, I'm fine. I've just been feeling a certain way and recognized it as a sign that I need to step back from this or I'm going to burn out on it more permanently.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
More darkly hilarious art from Olivia:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This LP returns with a DETESTABLE new character... next week. This week it's yet another person who's more of an obstruction than a character. And that's not a fat joke.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We will not have a Swaine death counter in this LP, but trust us. It happens a lot.

FYI: I'm integrating the sidequests into the main videos as opposed to screenshot updates for now. Screenshot updates will happen again when they happen.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Farewell, Broom Broom. My sacrifice to use you will never be forgotten.

Glazius posted:

Have you met all the monsters you could have recruited for free at the Monster Sage's place now?

Yeah that's all of them. Not the most spectacular bunch.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Oliver accidentally says what we're thinking.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
So while I continue to try and fail to get together with Travis while he's busy getting ready to move, look at another thing from Olivia:

E: And another:

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 28, 2014

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Welcome to hog heaven.

Translation: we're all dead.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Glazius posted:

Wait, hang on a second. Thunderspark was hitting that tank's weakness, but it resisted Pulse? What's the difference?

Pulse is a non-elemental attack. It's basically just a magic face punch.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Spoiler alert: we don't care about spoilers in this part.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Shoeless posted:

Edit: Also will the Bomberman Megathread ever return? I love those LPs. They're just so ridiculous, and the lack of stuff to talk about after the basics of gameplay are discussed means that it's really open for you and Yoshi and Travis to just be crazy and provide really funny commentary, which I for one really enjoy. And just think, without them we wouldn't have terrified Platypus. And that would be terrible.

It's dead. I lost interest, and no one else wanted to take part. I'm not against playing one of the games for a stream or something, but no megathread.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
There'll be a screenshot update today and the next video tomorrow. A lot of the sidequests and bounty hunts are clones of earlier ones now, so I'll be skipping quite a few of them in the update. I will have done them all though.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Screenshot Update 5: Drowning in Density

Following Tombstone Trail and the acquisition of Travel, the game drops a sidequest avalanche on my rear end. Most of these are the standard broken hearts and clone bounty hunts, so I did them but they won't be covered anymore. This still ended up being nearly 90 screenshots, so strap in.

Our first stop is Old Father Oak, who we can regale with our tale of time travel bullshit for some stuff.

None of it is useful this time.

I also went back to Autumnia and got myself a zombie.

I admit that connection is obscure, even for me.

And a cheeseburger I missed.

The brother in the Hamelin side alley wanted us to check the forest for a fungus he can use to heal his sick sister.

That's a spear weapon I give to Shiro!?.

She means Carrot Cake. Luckily they're a piece of piss to make.

There's also a green chest nearby for Swaine to grab.

And it's even less useful than what Old Father Oak gave me.

We give the fungus to the brother, but yet another problem besets his efforts.

We'll take care of them later in this update. In the meantime, we help this woman who was lacking restraint several months ago, so she's likely shopped herself out of her own house.

Horace is hanging out on the bridge nearby, and he has another riddle for us.

Nazcaan script becomes more relevant in later updates. In a couple cases the game (Drippy) translates it for you, which I'm kind of okay with. It's a pain to translate yourself. To wit, I didn't even bother looking in the book and just told Horace the answer.

The joke is wizard clothing is always made of the finest fibers. Horace's and Oliver's share material from the Sky Tree. And no, that doesn't mean poo poo. Vacate is a fairly useful spell though; it allows us to escape to the entrances of dungeon areas, which are places Travel can't be used.

We'll see Horace again in due time.

During the Swaine and the Sea video, you may have noticed this guy hanging out in the area nearby Castaway Cove. I left him until after Hamelin because he's a tough fucker; he kicked my rear end first playthrough.

R proves himself several times this update.

The four pirate ships mentioned earlier are also nearby. They just move in a circle, so they're easy to sneak up on. Every ship's crew is made of zombies.

The third ship will have four zombies instead of three...

...and the fourth ship has the captain.

It's this ship where things get hairy. I pull it off with lots of Phoenix Feathers and patience, and in a nice bit of situational irony, ADAMANT gets enough XP to metamorphose into the exact zombies I was fighting the whole time.

Returning to the brother gets us more pirate stuff. I probably gave it to ADAM 'cause I'm a smartass.

Jumping over to The Fairygrounds, this fairy needs me to gather some herbs for his sickness.

Now I wish even more that one of them died when they jumped in the river. Just a few steps further Ni no Kuni; that's all you needed.

Luckily he wants items I've already farmed the gently caress out of this entire LP.

One of the more amusing broken hearts is this shopkeeper. He simply doesn't talk to people, and in all fairness, I agree with the guy. He's not brokenhearted; he's an introvert. But of course Oliver and Drippy operate on "introverts aren't real" and decide he needs fixing.

In the process of writing this update, I went from being amused by this sidequest to personally offended by it.

Whatever. We've already established that they're terrible characters anyway.

And another cheeseburger I missed.

We can't go an update without catching up on our favourite Shadar-off-pissers. This time the husband has lost his nerve.

Also this guy again.

This fairy has a monster-killing fetch quest for us.

It's similar to the quest earlier where we had to use frost attacks on the desert flower monsters to get their feathers. This time we have to blind the Whambats before we kill them, and since that's a status effect, we get a lot more leeway in terms of time. We also don't have to worry as much about your allies taking your kill, since you want them dead fast.

The most amusing part of this sidequest though is when you give the slapsticks back. The guy proceeds to talk to himself, at one point referencing Steffan Rhodri, the English voice actor for Drippy.

The gentleman's diary can be found in the cave full of blue crabs.

We have a mystery quest available by someone inside the forest. This one is nearby the Collum I killed earlier.

This one will have to be saved for later, since I don't have access to Jade Marbles yet. I complete it two videos from now.

In the meantime, I have enough merit stamp cards to collect two more rewards.

There's a bounty hunt hanging out nearby the entrance to Old Smoky. She ends up being a running gag set of hunts that all take place here, each one progressively higher up the volcano and all trying to make it erupt.

She's pretty creepy.

Luckily she's been here a while and is relatively weak now, especially to Shiro!?.

In the Golden Grove, a fairy tells us that Hyperboars have taken over the forest.

They're also not too tough at this point.

Kill all of them, and the big daddy Full Boar spawns in front of the fairy.

He's a good bit tougher than his kids.

But luckily Tingle is an area-of-effect motherfucker.

A kind of depressing unique bounty hunt is hanging out nearby Tombstone Trail.

You can get tons of "the fug?" jokes out of this guy. He already looks confused and lost.

With him killed and all of the other quests and bounty hunts turned in, I can grab another reward.

However the Old Smoky brigade has only just invaded.

He's just a clone of the ogre we fought in the past who Gascon and Marcassin were harassing.

Shiro!?'s having none of that.

We go back to Swift Solutions, and yet another monster attacks Old Smoky.

She's just as creepy as her sister.

And Shiro!?'s just as effective against her.

Killing her gets R enough experience to metamorphose his third and final time.

I decide to make him a Soldier Bumbler.

HYDORAAAAH

Thus concludes this overlong screenshot update that was even stupidly longer before I cut out the malminutia. Next time: we scale Skull Mountain and confront the dreaded Sky Pirate Kublai in our search for the stones of Mornstar. And we get a big loving dragon.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's at this point I realize how odd the heart pieces really are. Also loving dragon.

We have another screenshot update next Friday, and I promise it's much smaller than yesterday's.
E: Screenshot update on previous page.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Screenshot Update 6: Something About Snow

Before we head to Yule in the next update, there's a few side quests and miscellaneous things we can do in the meantime.

This pirate needs a part of the ship's engines fixed. We do see this ship in flight later in the game, but this mission doesn't affect that.

We do something a little different with this sidequest. We take the broken booster to someone in Oliver's world.

On the way, I have a Gustplume I can give to this pirate immediately.

In Oliver's world, Rusty is apparently skilled enough in mechanics that he can fix a part of a machine he's never seen before.

It's probably one of the easier sidequests.

He also gives us an alchemy recipe for another Jumbo Drop. Most if not all of them are a pain to make yourself, since the extra items we need are only dropped randomly from enemies, but at least we get the option.

I head back to Hamelin to grab another merit card reward and yet another deal with the gentleman.

He's left his diary pretty close to where Hamelin is.

I never thought I'd agree with Drippy, but here it is.

I also took the chance to show off Seek Fortune. It's a fun spell to use when you're decently leveled in an area and can sniff out all the chests without enemies getting on your rear end. Tengri makes scowering the whole world map for them incredibly simple. Note though that they only show up on your minimap and the area map when you're on the ground; you can't see them on Tengri.

You can find some pretty nice stuff. It's usually money, the odd familiar weapon or armour, or a relatively common consumable.

I'm buyin' truffles. Not for you, Swaine.

Amusingly enough, I got that exact weapon while I was clearing out all of the Autumnia hidden chests. It's in the south peninsula.

I went ahead and grabbed Tengri's speed booster, so now he's even more stupidly useful.

I took him off exploring and found this little island nearby Autumnia. This island is one of the places you can find naturally occurring jade marbles, which we need for the tribesman's alchemy sidequest. I'll grab one now and come back for another during the next video.

I headed north towards Yule and found this little island on the way. There's not much to do here, but it's a good primer for what we'll see for much of the next video.

Although there are several here, we won't actually see too many reused enemies next time. There will though be plenty of ice enemies and ice-related collectibles on the ground.

I completely forgot about that tiger when I named my zombie.

Dumple leveled up enough to be able to metamorphose his third time, and I went with the fire option, which will be incredibly useful in Yule. All of the enemies are weak to fire.

A few other familiars were ready as well, so I went ahead and grew them.

As I mentioned before, Yule is roughly the second area you're expected to explore when searching for Mornstar's stones, and the enemies are leveled accordingly. I get a fuckton of grinding done here, so having these familiars dropped down to level 1 right now won't be too much of a hindrance.

Next time: we explore the frozen town of Yule and its adorable and vaguely racist citizens.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Glazius posted:

Is there any kind of loading time when Tengri picks you up? It seems really smooth.

Nope. I think the most it does is phase out the ground enemies and some loading fog in the distance, then fade them in as you get closer.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This will be the last update for this LP for an indefinite period of time. This is the last of the footage recorded, and my computer is in dubious shape to capture more. I don't expect to be in good capturing condition until October at the current pace. Depending on what I can manage in the meantime, I may or may not attempt a brief screenshot update within the next month or so, or go straight for the third Mornstar stone, which would be relatively quick to get. All depends on how much you guys mind a tenuous framerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Shoeless posted:

Thornbrain, will the Majora's Mask LP also be on hold due to dubious computer?

Thankfully no, I've captured everything for that already aside from small extras that people want to see. That video I might be able to squeeze out.

• Locked thread