Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

violetdragon posted:

UGH! I may be done with this show. Why would you try to show girls that the super creepy teacher that stalked you and your friends for years and only got involved with you to find out about your dead/missing friend is totally okay and good?

Besides, the whole "omg this person is totally A... wait, nevermind!" thing is getting really old.

This was even worse than Toby's reversal, because he was only portrayed as part of a group of As, while Ezra was shown as the ringleader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

And he was going to publish that book under the name Sara Shepard.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Yeah, I don't know. Backing out of the Ezra stuff seems like it's be such an obviously gross misstep in plotting that it seems weird that any bunch of writers (short of AHS/Glee) would let it happen. Like, they've doubled down so many times on Ezra being legitimately creepy that going "but he's actually not that bad!" would feel beyond half-assed and fake.

But then again, this is still a show that needs to drag this poo poo out at least one more season so it's still probably too early for a full reveal of the ultimate A.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Now we just need Hanna and Emily to go crazy by the end of the season and then the four of them can just, like, destroy the whole godforsaken town.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'm glad that Hanna was inexplicably pro-Fitz for long enough to dissuade Aria from turning him into the authorities, and now can't stand being in the same room as him! Solid plotting

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
No one working on this show has ever been to Syracuse, have they?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
-New A suspect is targeted
-All of the girls think it's ridiculous, except
-Spencer buys in 100% immediately

Can't go wrong with the old standbys. This show has to conclude with Spencer being absolutely convinced that she herself is A.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

xbilkis posted:

I'm glad that Hanna was inexplicably pro-Fitz for long enough to dissuade Aria from turning him into the authorities, and now can't stand being in the same room as him! Solid plotting

I don't think Hanna was pro-Fitz. She probably didn't want Aria to do something in haste/a rage that she'd regret later, not that she should have regretted it.

But yeah, I'm sure this Mrs. D thing will last a couple eps only to be disproved in the finale.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Yeah I think Hanna was more about, "If you turn him in, you're basically risking exposure of ALL our bullshit," than any pro-Fitz stance.

Also, Jessica DiLaurentis creeping in the Hastings house. :stonk:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Someone needs to make a gif of that.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I missed an earlier part of the episode. Why is it important that she bought the scarf yesterday?

Edit: Oh ok. It was for Allison, despite it looking like something only affluent housewives wear.

KIT HAGS fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 12, 2014

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Hooray! Finally he's gone.

(Probably not because this show)

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Coconut Indian posted:

Hooray! Finally he's gone.

(Probably not because this show)

I read a lot of interviews and articles promoting the spring finale and the worst part was how nearly all of them brought up "Ezria" and wondering if they'll get back together in season 5. The fact that the writers and executive producers STILL don't get how hosed up and wrong "Ezria" is just brings down the show as a whole.

But don't worry, Ezra didn't sleep with Alison. He saved himself for his one true underage love, Aria. :barf:

Other than that, I thought the show did a decent job of showing what Alison was up to the night she "died".

Noel Kahn continues to be this show's version of Red Herring, unless they're going to make him "A" or something.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
The sad thing about Ezra is that there is a legion of girls who love him and want him and Aria to be true love forever -- even after the initial 'might be A' reveal and before his actual explanation -- and that's their most vocal actual fanbase at the moment. There's probably at least someone somewhere in that writers' room who knows their whole relationship is creepy and gross but they'd be drowned out by half their audience really, really, really, really loving Ezra and Aria together.

(Which is also why he's prrrrrobably not going to be actually dead come next season!)

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Until I see the premiere I'm going to live in a blissful world where Ezra is dead and we all complain about how Aria refuses to get over him.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I started watching this show because of MY GIRLFRIEND and wow what a TV show. It took me a while to get over the "wait this girl is banging her teacher?" and lol lesbians. And them having car trouble and running through the woods at night constantly. But hey it's pretty entertaining.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

adebisi lives posted:

I started watching this show because of MY GIRLFRIEND and wow what a TV show. It took me a while to get over the "wait this girl is banging her teacher?" and lol lesbians. And them having car trouble and running through the woods at night constantly. But hey it's pretty entertaining.

Same here except it is MY FIANCEE who roped me in. I get to laugh at the silly plot lines and relentlessly make fun of Toby and Caleb with her, so it's not all bad. Oh, and Ezra is creepy as gently caress, I hope he is dead but I doubt they will actually kill him off. This is probably their way to bring more fans around to supporting him since he was such a hero on the rooftop.

A bit of speculation regarding the night Alison disappeared: It had to be Jason who hit Ali with the rock. Who else would Mrs. D cover for like she did? I don't think that necessarily means he is A, I actually have no clue who A is, but it has to be Jason who thwacked her, right?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Apex Rogers posted:

A bit of speculation regarding the night Alison disappeared: It had to be Jason who hit Ali with the rock. Who else would Mrs. D cover for like she did? I don't think that necessarily means he is A, I actually have no clue who A is, but it has to be Jason who thwacked her, right?

That's my thinking. (more speculation!) Jason was probably stoned/drugged out of his gourd, and they'd established seasons ago that he and Alison had an antagonistic relationship, so he conked her with a rock for some reason or other. Mrs. D saw, then buried Alison and shuffled Jason off to rehab.

Although, even though Alison says that Spencer definitely didn't try to kill her because she was asleep when Alison went a-wandering again, Spencer was still awake before all the other girls long enough to go searching for Alison and find her missing. I almost hope she actually did kill the girl who was actually buried, and Melissa covered that poo poo up. Else, Melissa killed the other girl but it'd be impossible to say why without knowing who said other girl even is. (book spoilers) It could be the Alison-twin that exists in the books, the body under the gazebo, and whoever killed her thought she was Alison.

Also Rosewood apparently employs the laziest coroner/doctor staff ever if they didn't at all catch that the body/skeleton they exhumed from under the gazebo wasn't Alison.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

It was just a throwaway line, but Toby really went all the way to London to tell Melissa about Spencer's relapse? :psyduck: That was so ridiculous that I hope there's something more to it than just weird writing.

Also I don't care what the show wants me to believe, I am still holding to the small hope that Ezra is A or at least A-related. He even had his creepy, black cap outfit back on for the rooftop scene.

But assuming he and Alison didn't have sex (:jerkbag:), then who else does that leave in the equation regarding Alison's pregnancy scare? Unless it's just going to be another plot point they forget to address, like why Garrett pretended to kill Alison in front of Jenna during the Busiest Night. They squeezed everyone else into the exposition about that night, for god's sake.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
He probably pretended to kill her because Alison had been threatening Jenna with revealing her grabbyhands all over Toby. Garrett pretends to kill (or at least hurt) Ali, Jenna feels safe enough to be home and out in the open again. She later finds out that Ali is actually "dead" and at the end of season 2 fingers Garrett for her murder (presumably because she stops feeling safe or something).

Edit: And pregnancy scare is probably Wilden or Wren; aside from Ezra, both of them are gross enough to probably do it (especially Wren). If it's Wilden, it's basically already resolved because Wilden's dead. If it's Wren, he'll probably turn back up in S5, especially with Melissa home from London.

xeria fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 19, 2014

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Man that was satisfying and insane. How amazing were the Mona scenes? So amazing. I'm glad Alison's version of the night's events helped clear up why she was so busy.

For who konked Ali: It could have been Spencer's father, who was angry at her because of something related to Spencer's drug problem.

I will be infinitely disappointed if this uses the book explanation, because urgh.

Overall this season was pretty great. The "Oh yeah, Spencer was totally a drug addict two years ago and probably killed a person" felt like an awkward retcon because Spencer was already accused of murder Ali way back in season 1. Ezra not being A was a huge let down too. Sure, this show is like 80% red herrings but it would have been so perfect!

Anyway: Caleb is back next season because no one watched Ravenswood and Ali is being upgraded to series regular in such a way that will "make it feel like a whole new show".

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

TurnipFritter posted:

For who konked Ali: It could have been Spencer's father, who was angry at her because of something related to Spencer's drug problem.

Would Mrs. D be so quick to cover for Spencer's dad though? I know they were romantically involved in the past, but Ali is her own freakin' daughter...

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Apex Rogers posted:

Would Mrs. D be so quick to cover for Spencer's dad though? I know they were romantically involved in the past, but Ali is her own freakin' daughter...

The reveal from the books is seeming a lot more plausible. That's the only person I can think of that Mrs. D might cover for like that. I could have sworn I read something saying the show was going to veer away from the book's plot, though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Apex Rogers posted:

I dunno. She actually liked Spencer's dad, while her daughter was a horrid monster so. I just really don't want it to be Jason, because we've already been there and one that, you know?

violetdragon posted:

The reveal from the books is seeming a lot more plausible. That's the only person I can think of that Mrs. D might cover for like that. I could have sworn I read something saying the show was going to veer away from the book's plot, though.

That's what they were saying once upon a time, I think, but apparently they've been dropping a lot of hints in the last couple of episodes that they're going in that direction.

pageturner70
Sep 23, 2007
I have a crazy theory that Spencer's mom is A. Speculate at will.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

TurnipFritter posted:

That's what they were saying once upon a time, I think, but apparently they've been dropping a lot of hints in the last couple of episodes that they're going in that direction.

Alison's actress, as recently as just after the S4 fall finale or so, said in an interview that she didn't think (book spoilers) they were going the 'Alison has a twin' route, or at the very least if they were, it wasn't going to path out like the books did.

It's just a very narrow pool of "people who would actually take a swing at Alison" and "people who Mrs. D would give enough of a poo poo about to cover up".

And the actual body under the gazebo is someone who's been dead since about 5 minutes into the show, so there's probably a teeny, tiny list of people (like, 1) who that could be and have it actually be material to the current timeline. (That 1 probably being an Alison twin or just someone who looked really, really similar to her, because it'd mean that whoever killed her actually intended to kill Alison for real.)

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Looks like I won't be leaving Rosewood any time soon. Kisses, A. (ABC Family renews PLL for seasons six and seven! :woop:)

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
Is there a new thread for season 5 or are we going to continue in this thread? That scene from the season opener with all of the As taunting them was seriously dumb. Are the A helpers suddenly Power Ranger Putties now?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Stabitha posted:

Is there a new thread for season 5 or are we going to continue in this thread? That scene from the season opener with all of the As taunting them was seriously dumb. Are the A helpers suddenly Power Ranger Putties now?

That whole episode was dumb and frustrating. I think the idea is that none of the A's in that scene were actually on the real A team, and A just organized a flash mob to gently caress with them. Of course, like most A poo poo it seems pointless to have gone to all that trouble. Either it was Shauna and somehow she had previously organized this for reasons, or it was not Shauna and reasons.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
NO ALI DON'T FALL FOR IT THE DOG IS A.

E:But no seriously that dog is a more competent detective than most of the Liars.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 18, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

hcreight posted:

NO ALI DON'T FALL FOR IT THE DOG IS A.

E:But no seriously that dog is a more competent detective than most of the Liars.

Sasha and that drat dog have more pathos going on between them than the whole rest of the show. This was a really great return to form after episode 1.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Why do I watch this show nothing makes sense and I swear the writers are just making it up as they go along? Why is Ezra a good guy again? :suicide:

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Wezlar posted:

Why do I watch this show nothing makes sense and I swear the writers are just making it up as they go along? Why is Ezra a good guy again? :suicide:

In the show's opinion, Ezra was never actually a bad guy. He exploited Aria for his book and then later fell in love with her for real (because pedophilia is not a crime in PLL-land), but didn't give up his book research or come clean until later. Figured Shana out and tried to warn the liars and almost paid for it with his life. Besides being a child molester, has he actually done anything villainous?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Wezlar posted:

Why is Ezra a good guy again? :suicide:

Because Ezria fans are like half the twitter fanbase, presumably.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Yeah it's pretty much because half the fanbase at least thinks Ezra is hyper-romantic and that Aria should immediately forgive him so they can go back to wearing paper bags around town. It's polarizing that way; I know plenty of people who won't even so much as glance at the show because they find the concept of a teacher being in love with his teenage student (rightly) creepy and gross.

(In the books, IIRC, Aria hooks up with Ezra but he's never much more than a rando dude beyond that.)

So in terms of outstanding mysteries, we still have the following, right?

* Who's the dead girl that got buried in Alison's grave?
* Also, who killed her in the first place and why?
* Who attacked Alison?
* Who killed Alison's mom?

And in addition to that:

* What the gently caress is/was Wren up to when he was being all weird to Mona in Radley and getting Spencer's mom thrown off Hanna's mom's case?
* What's Melissa's actual deal?

If I had to guess, especially after having watched the PLL episode of The Writers' Room where they said they know how the series will end but they're basically dragging things out as long as ABC Family keeps renewing them, we probably won't find out who actually tried to kill Alison until whatever the final season will be, since aside from "Who is A?" that's been the central mystery all along.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Here's hoping that their two season+ long tapdance routine doesn't make the eventual ending nonsensical.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

xeria posted:

Yeah it's pretty much because half the fanbase at least thinks Ezra is hyper-romantic and that Aria should immediately forgive him so they can go back to wearing paper bags around town. It's polarizing that way; I know plenty of people who won't even so much as glance at the show because they find the concept of a teacher being in love with his teenage student (rightly) creepy and gross.

(In the books, IIRC, Aria hooks up with Ezra but he's never much more than a rando dude beyond that.)

So in terms of outstanding mysteries, we still have the following, right?

* Who's the dead girl that got buried in Alison's grave?
* Also, who killed her in the first place and why?
* Who attacked Alison?
* Who killed Alison's mom?

And in addition to that:

* What the gently caress is/was Wren up to when he was being all weird to Mona in Radley and getting Spencer's mom thrown off Hanna's mom's case?
* What's Melissa's actual deal?

If I had to guess, especially after having watched the PLL episode of The Writers' Room where they said they know how the series will end but they're basically dragging things out as long as ABC Family keeps renewing them, we probably won't find out who actually tried to kill Alison until whatever the final season will be, since aside from "Who is A?" that's been the central mystery all along.

My thinking is starting to coalesce around this:

*Sara Harvey is the girl buried in Ali's grave.
*Sara Harvey is related to Darren Wilden (Sister maybe). That is why he was so bent on punishing the Liars and Ali.
*Wilden, Shana, Jenna, and possibly Melissa and others believe that Ali intentionally killed Sara Harvey to fake her own death. This is what changed their opinion of Ali from "Bitch" to "Evil Bitch Must Die".
*Cece has a twin, who is cray-cray and evil who was locked up at Radley. Both are Kenneth DiLaurentis' children from a previous marriage. As children they knew about Ali and were possessive of her. Evil twin was sent to Radley before Ali was old enough to know about them and good Cece kept her distance. (Unknown: how Jason figures into this)
*Cece, her twin, and Ali were involved with Marion Cavanaugh's death at Radley, possibly through mean pranks gone wrong. (This is the same M.O. as Jenna's blindness, etc.)
*Mrs. D covered up the death of Marion Cavanaugh for Radley.
*Cece's Twin was the one who hit Ali over the head after escaping from Radley.
*Mrs. D knew about the twins, and was warned of Evil Cece's escape by Wren Kingston.
*Mrs. D actually thought Ali died on the spot, and buried her to protect herself, her husband's family, and Radley.
*Evil Cece found the grave dug up hours later and killed Sara Harvey while looking for the escaped Ali, burying her in the grave. This was either a mistake or on purpose.
*Mrs. D. did not know about the second murder until later, asking good Cece to investigate.
*Mrs. D. was killed by Evil Cece once Ali was confirmed alive.
*Evil Cece killed Darren Wilden when he found out she killed Sara Harvey.
*Wren Kingston is Dr. Louis Palmer's son.
*Wren Kingston was Beach Hottie, hooked up with Ali that summer and gave her the pregnancy scare.
*Dr. Palmer's career was destroyed when his patient, Marion Cavanaugh, died in mysterious circumstances under his care.
*Wren Kingston knew about the Cece Twins and Ali's role in Marion Cavanaugh's death.
*Wren Kingston is A. His motive is to punish/gently caress all the "mean girls" for destroying his father/killing Marion Cavanaugh.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

So is Ezra not writing his book anymore? I was really hoping he'd include a chapter about how the teenager he was loving had to buy him groceries because he was so poor.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

TurnipFritter posted:

So is Ezra not writing his book anymore? I was really hoping he'd include a chapter about how the teenager he was loving had to buy him groceries because he was so poor.

I think the book is 'done' but he's not going to publish it out of 'respect' for Aria/her friends.

Unrelated, but after reading a Gawker/'Morning After' article, now I think I'm most anticipating the show diving head-first into the Mona/Hanna/Alison relationship(s). I hadn't even remembered before now that Mona's initial reasoning for being A all over the girls was because they were pulling Hanna out of her orbit, and with the revelations that Mona both chased Alison into hiding and remade Hanna in Alison's image, there has been some freaky poo poo at play with Miss Vanderwaal.

(Mona is the best and most interesting character on this show, hands down.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
So, Aria and Ezra are back together and A's not dead? Color me surprised.

Also, great song choice for their rekindled romance. :stare:

• Locked thread