Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanthor
Apr 25, 2008

Hawkgirl posted:

Now it's just part of our whole smug identity as horn players, that we can transpose better than you. :smug:

Well at least that's something then.

So anyone else starting to teach/practice all-region music yet? Just did master classes for a high school's summer band. Not one of the kids had had lessons before but really they didn't have any awful habits to break. Just some stock," try playing with your teeth apart... sounds a lot better right?" stuff. They learned well enough, though getting them through all of the etudes wasn't really gonna happen, I think some good practice habits may have sunken in. For me though, the all-region/UIL processes are a grind that kind of just teach students band is about being a band nerd, you either go career or GTFO and that clearly isn't why probably 70-80% of most kids in an average ms/hs band are there. Gotta play that game though and prove to superintendents that fine arts would be more useful than say, new speedbumps in the parking lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

Hawkgirl posted:

Yeah, I never posted about it or emailed you but I totally got those two instruments at the end of the school year and they are GREAT. Kids were so excited to see them and I was too. Thanks man :)

Some reviews would be appreciated. :D

What they liked, what they didn't like. Stuff like that. I'm always looking to improve my instruments so honest feedback is always appreciated.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The Grapist posted:

Some reviews would be appreciated. :D

What they liked, what they didn't like. Stuff like that. I'm always looking to improve my instruments so honest feedback is always appreciated.

Okay, for sure. They literally arrived on the last day of school so I didn't get much time with them. I did play the tenor sax myself and was pleased with how easily I could get the notes to speak - struggle with that a bit on my other school tenors. Muscles tired after 5 minutes, you would think that my flute and brass muscles would transfer to reed instruments but I guess not. Did not get a chance to play the trombone yet but one of my students did. I'll ask him about it tomorrow because it's the first day of schoooooooooooooooool! :dance:

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMtkiS1SU_c

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I'm a relative beginner to classical guitar, I'm about a quarter of the way through Noad's solo guitar playing, the first three pieces are basically down-pat. I would really appreciate playing some music that isn't quite so hackneyed though - is there a set recommendation for interesting classical guitar pieces (I keep seeing Bartok recommended in the Piano thread for example) - or do I just muscle through this stuff until I'm at a higher level?

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

I don't think you should "muscle" through anything, especially as a hobbyist. If the music you play bores you, play something you like. forcing this kind of stuff is the easiest way to burn out and end up putting your guitar away
that said, I haven't read the noad book so I don't really know your level. I assume beginner, but can read notation decently?

personally I like the Carcassi Op. 60 etudes a lot. Very musical, interesting harmonies, and a nice progression of technical difficulty. From the same period, the Sor etudes Op. 31 (easy) and Op. 35 (still beginner, but slightly more advanced) are basically industry standard.
For spanish music, Tarrega has a number of small pieces that are very playable e.g. Lagrima and Adelita
Villa-Lobos prelude no 3 from 5 preludes is pretty playable, though a lot of his stuff is a bit advanced of course

there's a million pieces by Bach of course, and some of them are pretty approachable for beginners. but I don't really know what kind of music you like?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I guess there's only so many etudes and twee folky songs. This my present level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVoNp1AS54

I really dislike videogame covers in principle, but this is an example of something more interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KmbsKHV6hE

I am now going to check out the suggestions you posted.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

not many answers here 'cause this subforum is stone dead unless you are into electric guitar nerdery and ambient electronic... (and even then it's extremely slow)
anyway

1: tune your guitar jeez
2: it's not impossible to play classical on a steel string (see: barrios), but doing it on an electric is basically inviting pain. get a cheap but playable classical and you'll have both a much easier time and you'll sound much better.

The Sor and Carcassi etudes are from the same period as that Carulli piece, so if you really hate that stuff it might not be for you. Personally I'd probably just start with some of the easier etudes from Carcassi op. 60 (they're ordered roughly by increasing difficulty). Also Lagrima by Tarrega is a nice piece that should be very possible for you to play - I use it as kind of a lullaby thing for my daughter sometimes

oh yeah. and use a metronome when you're practicing

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

L. Ron Mexico posted:

not many answers here 'cause this subforum is stone dead unless you are into electric guitar nerdery and ambient electronic... (and even then it's extremely slow)
anyway

1: tune your guitar jeez
2: it's not impossible to play classical on a steel string (see: barrios), but doing it on an electric is basically inviting pain. get a cheap but playable classical and you'll have both a much easier time and you'll sound much better.

The Sor and Carcassi etudes are from the same period as that Carulli piece, so if you really hate that stuff it might not be for you. Personally I'd probably just start with some of the easier etudes from Carcassi op. 60 (they're ordered roughly by increasing difficulty). Also Lagrima by Tarrega is a nice piece that should be very possible for you to play - I use it as kind of a lullaby thing for my daughter sometimes

oh yeah. and use a metronome when you're practicing

Another classical guitarist rears their ugly head. There are a couple of us here, but my classical guitar thread died a lonely, ignominious death years ago.

I'm often around and willing to chat classical guitar, though my life has been based around it for so long that I've gotten pretty bored of Delcamp et al.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

So I'm a relative beginner to classical guitar, I'm about a quarter of the way through Noad's solo guitar playing, the first three pieces are basically down-pat. I would really appreciate playing some music that isn't quite so hackneyed though - is there a set recommendation for interesting classical guitar pieces (I keep seeing Bartok recommended in the Piano thread for example) - or do I just muscle through this stuff until I'm at a higher level?

I would recommend the Christopher Parkening books (1&2). They're much lighter on the exercises--which isn't all good or all bad. They also have much more interesting pieces and entire sections devoted to repertoire.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Who here is in favour of commandeering this thread as the classical guitar hangout?

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

It's not like anyone's using it for anything else anyway, so I guess it's more like squatting really :/

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Who here is in favour of commandeering this thread as the classical guitar hangout?

I guess I'll allow it if you teach me how to play guitar. I suck at it :(

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Hawkgirl posted:

I guess I'll allow it if you teach me how to play guitar. I suck at it :(

I can also attempt to recreate my old Classical Guitar Thread, though I have almost no memory of what I put in the OP. Or someone else can make it. I'll post stuff!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

x-posting from the Guitar thread: I think I'm going to shift my Marshall amp in favor of a classical guitar since I've been primarily been playing acoustically on my hollowbody. Unemployed, I don't really have cash to spare so I need to get the most efficient rather than the best purchase. I am looking at a Yamaha C40 at the bottom end and something like a La Mancha Rubi or a Cordoba C5 on the more expensive end - the latter will definitely require me to sell my amp to fund. What's really the minimum spec I should be looking for? Solid top and that's about it, right?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Having no experience with those guitars, and only reading some reviews, I'd go with the C40. Sounds like it would get you going and who knows where from there.

My other offer--are you in the United States?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Hey so if the C40 is going to fill 90% of my need then I may just go with that rather than selling off stuff to get something more expensive. Right now I'm working on the Theme by Vivaldi from about halfway through the Noad book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fjF3FWfr9c

it's crushing to review the above and realise how silly and slow it all sounds, I mean for crying out loud I'm just coming up to 'Greensleeves' in the book! I learnt that via tab years ago, but it's tortuous (albeit at least recognisable) with sheet.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty ecstatic right now, I got offered to play euph in a 3x euphonium+1 trombone low brass quartet. We're playing at a festival this Sunday, and it's a paid gig! Imagine that, making money playing euphonium. That's like making money with a fine arts degree in art history or something equally niche.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'd heard that nice instruments like Bassoon and bass trombone were still super-hard, but much more workable than for example violin or cello? Is that true?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

It kind of depends on what you find difficult about playing an instrument? Which seems to differ for everyone. Bass trombone is fun as poo poo, but you've got to develop some muscles in your lips to play decently and for any length of time. And (as someone who originally started out a woodwind player) it frustrates me that even as a pro, you can tire your lips out before you're done playing for the day. You can practice for 8 hours straight on a flute once you get the basic muscles working. You can't really do that on brass instruments.

All this goes out the window with bassoon though. Bassoon is like the coelacanth. It's an insanely old variety of instrument that's managed to stick around despite all the other classical instruments getting upgrades in mechanisms and tone. See, there was this guy named Boehm in the 1800's who redesigned the key system on the flute to make it as simple as possible and in tune. He in turn inspired others, transforming the clarinet and the oboe, and the saxophone got invented around then as well, so they all use the nice simple key system, where each finger is responsible for 2-3 keys max and almost never at the same time.

Bassoon has got 13 thumb keys. 9 for one thumb and 4 for the other. I don't actually know why it got skipped over. I kind of suspect people have tried and failed to improve the key mechanisms of the bassoon. So you're stuck with 13 thumb keys and a bunch of other weird poo poo you have to do just to play basic notes.

edit: Here's a fun link to read about the bassoon: http://www.michaelburnsbassoon.com/page3/assets/Burns-Bn_Fingering_Issues.pdf Half-hole fingerings where you have to cover different percentages of the hole on different notes? Fork fingerings in the non-altissimo range of the instrument? Having to flick keys when you start a note just so it doesn't make a horrible noise?? Naming keys after specific notes and then NOT using those keys on those notes in most of the range??? Jesus Christ, bassoon. Get your poo poo together.

edit edit: But here's why we tolerate it anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJlMqWbzVyg

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 12, 2015

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Congrats, Mederlock! It'd be pretty cool to hear you play euphonium.

Southern Heel, that sounds pretty darn good. Very clean playing to these ears. Keep working on the Noad book.
Also, what guitar are you playing in that video? Is it yours?

Here's a little ditty from the Parkening book on my new guitar.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 12, 2015

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
I read the question as asking what instrument is easier to find paying gigs for - some thing common like string instruments or something more esoteric (but hard to find and so possibly more in-demand). I can't speak from experience as but I would have to wager that string instruments would be it, hands down. Throw a string quartet together and do weddings and receptions until the mere thought of playing Pachelbel's Canon makes you want to kill yourself.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Oh, maybe. That's hard to decide too. There are SO MANY string players.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I'd record myself but I do not have anything close to being considered a decent Mic to do so. Any recommendations on personal recorders cheaper then $200?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Mederlock posted:

I'd record myself but I do not have anything close to being considered a decent Mic to do so. Any recommendations on personal recorders cheaper then $200?

The Zoom devices are perfectly ok for most uses, but I don't know if you need to have something different for brass instruments, since they can be much louder than anything else. When in doubt you can always place the recorder a bit further away, though.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

There's a gain switch on the Zoom devices for this exact reason. I've mainly used the low gain setting, and sometimes the normal. I've never used the high setting though.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

nitsuga posted:

Congrats, Mederlock! It'd be pretty cool to hear you play euphonium.

Southern Heel, that sounds pretty darn good. Very clean playing to these ears. Keep working on the Noad book.

Here's a little ditty from the Parkening book on my new guitar.

You guys are both sounding solid! Keep up the good work.

I'm about to go play a little noontime concert in sf. Who goes to these when they are not on a college campus? I'll let you know. We'll play this and this and some other stuff.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^^ and below:

nitsuga posted:

Very clean playing to these ears. Keep working on the Noad book.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear - that is the SONG I''m playing but it's not my recording - I've got my weekly update to do now so I'll go ahead and get that recorded ASAP.

I'm still on the fence about a Yamaha C40 or something more upmarket? On one hand I don't want to screw myself: my fav guitar for playability is definitely a squier CV telecaster after going through a standard strat, gibson LP, ibanez LGB-300 and jackson dinky) but on the other I don't want to buy something and then grow out of it within six months or so! Any idea why the Cedar version of this guitar is 30 quid more expensive than the spruce? http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_cg122c.htm

Second question, for a chord (and I will use tab to save time) x32xx3 - should I be plucking the 32 with PI and the high G with A?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 16, 2015

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That is a beautiful guitar. I totally understand being on the fence--I just bought a new guitar myself but only after waffling for a solid year. On the other hand, I played a less-than-stellar guitar for quite a while and am no worse for the wear, but much happier with my Takamine.

Anyway, my advice is to get out there and play some guitars. Try everything, find used guitars if you can. Maybe a truly nice one is what you want, maybe a C40 will do the job while you get your ducks in a row. It's hard to say without getting one in your hands. Nylon strings are definitely in the minority of what's out there, but go anyway.

http://stores.ebay.com/Victorious-Guitar-Gallery - This dude is probably bonkers, but I bought mine through him, and he's got some very cool guitars.

Firebad, surely you've got some advice on guitars--what do you say?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

For lack of any other new content in the thread, I think you might be able to recognise this one :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4XyyBFcdv0

I played it slightly slower and since I'm on an electric anyway, added a little chorus and reverb for a dreamy effect.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

In addition to my crippling inability to play infront of people or while recording, it really does seem like I need to get myself a proper classical guitar. I was going to wait until I got to the end of this Noad book, but there are nice songs which just sound super tinny and rattly on my hollowbody electric. I've got my Marshall SL-5 up for sale, and whatever it brings in I'm going to use to buy a footrest and a Yamaha - either a CG122 or a CGX102 -- the only difference seems to be the onboard pickup/amp/tuner. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

haven't played it, but it seems to get decent reviews. consider getting someone to set it up properly for you if necessary (string height and so on)
onboard amps and pickups on a classical is completely useless. use whatever money you save on something else - more books or whatever. maybe save up for a mic if you really want to record yourself in hi-def

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

That's what I needed to hear, thanks! So far my amp is running at £0.99 so hopefully it goes up in the next six days. I was listening to a demo of someone playing The Romance and figured I'd give it a shot. It's surprisingly easy if you can get the right hand rhythm down:
http://www.capotastomusic.com/guitar_pages/resources/classical_guitar/spanish_romance_classical_guitar.pdf

Also it sounds about a billion times more impressive than Sonatina because of the relative note density.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That's the first classical song I learned--which would be about 12 years ago. I still play it too.

Anyway, like I've said, if you can, get out and play some guitars. You can get a very nice instrument if you have an outlet for used guitars. Otherwise, Yamaha is very reputable. I've enjoyed the ones I've played quite a bit, and that has been mostly their entry-level guitars.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

L. Ron Mexico posted:

haven't played it, but it seems to get decent reviews. consider getting someone to set it up properly for you if necessary (string height and so on)
onboard amps and pickups on a classical is completely useless. use whatever money you save on something else - more books or whatever. maybe save up for a mic if you really want to record yourself in hi-def

Thank you for this post. I've also been shopping for a classical guitar. I've been eyeing two Cordoba models, one had electronics, the other didn't. Seeing your post helped!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well my amp sold for £315, so with a few other odds and sods that puts me in the bucket for a midrange Yamaha or a bottom of the range spanish guitar like Cordoba or La Mancha.

Apart from my innate feel, is there any particular reason to go for a narrower or wider fretboard in the long run? Similarly for Spruce or Cedar: the latter looks more aesthetically pleasing to me and the sound appears more bassy with less high frequency. Apart from personal taste is there any reason to go for one over the other?

Lastly, is a hardcase mandatory for storange and rare travelling, or is a gigbag good enough?

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

bottom of the range spanish guitar like Cordoba or La Mancha.

It says "Made in China" in my Cordoba C9.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Eccles posted:

It says "Made in China" in my Cordoba C9.

Do you like your Cordoba? Despite being made in China, does it still sound good?

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
My comment about "Made in China" wasn't meant to be disparaging. Chinese luthiers are more than capable of making wonderful instruments. Just pointing out that Cordobas are built in China, not Spain.

Mine is beautiful. It is very lightly built. There were no flaws I could see in the fit or finish. The tuning machines are smooth and work well. The fretwork was perfect. I've only been playing guitar for a little more than an year, and just picked up the classical guitar a month ago, and even I can get a lovely sound out of it. The cedar top and sipo (?) back combine to create a lovely dark and warm tone. I'm very happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ Thanks, that's a good point actually. My George Benson LGB-300 is built in China too which I was a little 'upset' about at first, but then frankly it's an amazing instrument.

My budget really sits in the C7 range, but I've (in this thread I think) that once you get past the budget level really most CGs are OK. Right now I'm working on pieces by Visee, the Minuet and the Bourrée - both of them have got some amazing chord changes. I'm now a little worried about recording myself to play for this thread because I'll have to use an iphone mic - but I guess I'll survive somehow :)

• Locked thread