Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

So I'm a relative beginner to classical guitar, I'm about a quarter of the way through Noad's solo guitar playing, the first three pieces are basically down-pat. I would really appreciate playing some music that isn't quite so hackneyed though - is there a set recommendation for interesting classical guitar pieces (I keep seeing Bartok recommended in the Piano thread for example) - or do I just muscle through this stuff until I'm at a higher level?

I would recommend the Christopher Parkening books (1&2). They're much lighter on the exercises--which isn't all good or all bad. They also have much more interesting pieces and entire sections devoted to repertoire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Who here is in favour of commandeering this thread as the classical guitar hangout?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Having no experience with those guitars, and only reading some reviews, I'd go with the C40. Sounds like it would get you going and who knows where from there.

My other offer--are you in the United States?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Congrats, Mederlock! It'd be pretty cool to hear you play euphonium.

Southern Heel, that sounds pretty darn good. Very clean playing to these ears. Keep working on the Noad book.
Also, what guitar are you playing in that video? Is it yours?

Here's a little ditty from the Parkening book on my new guitar.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 12, 2015

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That is a beautiful guitar. I totally understand being on the fence--I just bought a new guitar myself but only after waffling for a solid year. On the other hand, I played a less-than-stellar guitar for quite a while and am no worse for the wear, but much happier with my Takamine.

Anyway, my advice is to get out there and play some guitars. Try everything, find used guitars if you can. Maybe a truly nice one is what you want, maybe a C40 will do the job while you get your ducks in a row. It's hard to say without getting one in your hands. Nylon strings are definitely in the minority of what's out there, but go anyway.

http://stores.ebay.com/Victorious-Guitar-Gallery - This dude is probably bonkers, but I bought mine through him, and he's got some very cool guitars.

Firebad, surely you've got some advice on guitars--what do you say?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That's the first classical song I learned--which would be about 12 years ago. I still play it too.

Anyway, like I've said, if you can, get out and play some guitars. You can get a very nice instrument if you have an outlet for used guitars. Otherwise, Yamaha is very reputable. I've enjoyed the ones I've played quite a bit, and that has been mostly their entry-level guitars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Depreciation is the name of the game. Anything you buy new is going to lose monetary value as soon as you buy it. Your other concerns are legitimate, but keep plodding along. If you have to wait, you have to wait. If you get a window to get one early, that would be great too.

Also, I got a chance to try one of those Yamaha guitars, and I was very impressed. You would definitely have a hard time finding a better value.

Mikey, your guitar could probably use a set-up and a good look-over by a trusted repairman. It's also well worth considering a case and humidifier for your guitar. Congrats, by the way, very beautiful and pretty intriguing.

• Locked thread