Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
I've been reading about orchestration, and have a very basic question on string instruments.

Is it assumed that the strings should play vibrato unless the following?
-It's otherwise specified e.g. non vibrato
-It's an inconvenient note (duration is too small)
-The mood implies that vibrato is not needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

BRAAAAAAAINS posted:

It depends on the style of music too, baroque music generally calls for less vibrato than music from the romantic era. I think one can say that the string section will use vibrato if they deem it would fit that particular passage. Other than that I guess it's decided between the conductor and the concert master.

Thanks. So it's essentially down to the performer's interpretation then I guess, but conventionally for a phrase that doesn't meet the criteria mentioned above, they'd likely use it.

• Locked thread