Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Deathy McDeath posted:

Didn't see this thread before! Cool to see a little talk about classical instruments amidst all this stuff about synthesizers and boards and pedals and whatnot.

Anyway, I play classical cello and also fiddle. I've been playing cello for about three years, though I am kind of taking a break from it now to take on fiddling. I've been fiddling for a little over two months now and it's a lot more fun than cello. Although not all the skills learned from cello are transferrable (for obvious reasons), being able to pick out sounds is fairly easy, and learning how to bow properly didn't take a whole lot of time.

It's probably cliche, but the prelude to Cello suite 1 got me into cello playing, and it remains my favorite piece to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yuR8efotI

Have you tried playing nonclassical music on cello? A couple of my friends studied classical cello at Julliard, but now mostly play celtic or original music. Being able to apply classical technique to what they're doing is really amazing to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread