Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bengraven posted:

I wonder if he's planning on going slow through this.

Or zipping forward 20 years after something horrible happens like one or both of them getting wasted.

Just wondering if she'll be a baby through the series, we'll slowly watch her grow up, or BOOM NINETEEN YEARS OLD.

I think we'll have baby, toddler, child and early to mid teen arcs for Hazel, each about 18 issues long. Adult Hazel will be in the epilogue; BKV likes doing after-the-fact stories for his final issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

A thing I didn't enjoy in this latest issue was Marko pushing Alana off the tower, and it being framed as though he knew she could fly. There was no reason to know or think that, and it doesn't feel like something a believable character might do.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Well, the point was that he didn't know at all, he just believed she could fly because sometimes when you love someone you just believe stuff.

But speaking of interpretations of scenes from issue #18, when Gwendolyn is on the rooftop looking at The Will, she says she doesn't know what else she could do, to which Sophie replies "Lying". The question is : considering it's not Lying Cat that's saying that when he's there and fully able to call her out, is it actually not a lie and Gwendolyn is genuinely confused?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

ElNarez posted:

Well, the point was that he didn't know at all, he just believed she could fly because sometimes when you love someone you just believe stuff.

But speaking of interpretations of scenes from issue #18, when Gwendolyn is on the rooftop looking at The Will, she says she doesn't know what else she could do, to which Sophie replies "Lying". The question is : considering it's not Lying Cat that's saying that when he's there and fully able to call her out, is it actually not a lie and Gwendolyn is genuinely confused?

I got the impression that if Sophie hadn't called her out on it, then Lying Cat would have.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

ElNarez posted:

But speaking of interpretations of scenes from issue #18, when Gwendolyn is on the rooftop looking at The Will, she says she doesn't know what else she could do, to which Sophie replies "Lying". The question is: considering it's not Lying Cat that's saying that when he's there and fully able to call her out, is it actually not a lie and Gwendolyn is genuinely confused?

Other things she could do for the Will include giving him a clean death instead of leaving him to rot in a vegetative state for god knows how long.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Shitshow posted:

I got the impression that if Sophie hadn't called her out on it, then Lying Cat would have.

Yeah, Lying Cat's knowing wink there makes it seem safe to assume Sophie is just saying it for Lying Cat.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

RandallODim posted:

Yeah, Lying Cat's knowing wink there makes it seem safe to assume Sophie is just saying it for Lying Cat.

It's not a wink, it's a missing eye.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

"Knowing wink," is either a good joke, or a sign you need to re-read the issue!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Wendell posted:

"Knowing wink," is either a good joke, or a sign you need to re-read the issue!

I think I do, because I definitely missed that or misremembered it.

Edit: Yeah, looking back I don't know how I missed that. Glad folks pointed it out for me.

On a different angle, toddler Hazel's little hat is adorable.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 1, 2014

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Toddler walks down the street in that hat, you know she ain't afraid of anything.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Once it hit me that The Will named the girl after his sister, mixed with that beautiful image of The Brand with tears in her eyes, I got all misty. Well played, BKV. :3:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Shitshow posted:

I always thought it was more of a reflex thing, like he had to say "Lying" whenever he heard a lie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ElNarez posted:

I always thought it was more of a reflex thing, like he had to say "Lying" whenever he heard a lie.

Possibly, but just because Lying Cat knows you're lying doesn't mean she has to say. It might be that things we believe to be true because she didn't call the speaker out are in fact lies. All we know for certain is that if Lying Cat said someone was lying then they were.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Well now I'm worried because it seems like a foregone conclusion that Lying Cat is going to die while revealing to the audience (but no one else) that someone has betrayed our heroes. With its last dying breath, it'll say "Lying" and we'll know someone is a traitor. :ohdear:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
In space, no one can hear you say "lying".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Reinanigans posted:

Well now I'm worried because it seems like a foregone conclusion that Lying Cat is going to die while revealing to the audience (but no one else) that someone has betrayed our heroes. With its last dying breath, it'll say "Lying" and we'll know someone is a traitor. :ohdear:

Unless Lying Cat is the traitor, and says someone is lying when they weren't.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Wendell posted:

A thing I didn't enjoy in this latest issue was Marko pushing Alana off the tower, and it being framed as though he knew she could fly. There was no reason to know or think that, and it doesn't feel like something a believable character might do.

Yeah, that didn't work for me either.

BKV likes setting up for dramatic cliffhangers a bit too much (blame all those years working on Lost).

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

David Copperfield posted:

Yeah, that didn't work for me either.

BKV likes setting up for dramatic cliffhangers a bit too much (blame all those years working on Lost).

Wasn't he on the show for just one season?

The moment struck me as one of total desperation. Either she would fly and be safe or fall to her death and be spared the assumedly awful alternative.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
It was a false cliffhanger. We've seen Landfall people fly, and there was no mention of them not being able to because of anything short of cutting off their wings.

I probably would chalk it up to "hey let's make this cool looking dramatic panel sequence" over plot. Also: what's the deal with gunshots to the head sometimes not killing people?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jedit posted:

Possibly, but just because Lying Cat knows you're lying doesn't mean she has to say. It might be that things we believe to be true because she didn't call the speaker out are in fact lies. All we know for certain is that if Lying Cat said someone was lying then they were.

I thought the bits about how they are bound to want things to be "right" or whatever kind of implied that they can't just let a lie go. So Sophie calling the lie out covers it but otherwise Lying Cat has to.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

David Copperfield posted:

It was a false cliffhanger. We've seen Landfall people fly, and there was no mention of them not being able to because of anything short of cutting off their wings.

page 6. "I told you, these things are vestigial! I can't even glide, all I can do is plummet!"

quote:

Also: what's the deal with gunshots to the head sometimes not killing people?

Sometimes they don't. Biology is hosed up that way.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
Oh, nevermind.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Also Alana's pistol is just a stun gun, so it wouldn't kill a healthy adult anyway.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

RandallODim posted:

Also Alana's pistol is just a stun gun, so it wouldn't kill a healthy adult anyway.

Specifically, it's a Heartbreaker. It makes you feel as if someone's broken your heart.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm rereading the first issue and the whole "I can't fly" "yes you can I believe in you" is actually here as well, so her flying actually was a big deal fwiw.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Here's some fanart I thought was worth sharing.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Once it hit me that The Will named the girl after his sister, mixed with that beautiful image of The Brand with tears in her eyes, I got all misty. Well played, BKV. :3:

:aaa: I don't know why I never made that connection, I just assumed that The Brand was just pretending to be his sister to get to him and answered to the name to avoid obvious awkwardness.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The collected volume 3 is out! Good printing.

The whole "the opposite of war is loving" "reveal" made me laugh, it was very goofy.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I actually got a bit emotional at that scene. Part of it was that I was impressed at the payoff of the orgy. I didn't event think there was going to be a payoff to that. But it also just reminds you how tragic all of this is. Prince Robot doesn't want to hurt anyone. He just wants to gently caress his wife and raise his kid. All of the bad things he does are for that. Sex is just the most literal interpretation of the need and want to connect with others as war is the most literal interpretation of the need to destroy others.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I haven't read comics in years and years. Not regularly since, like, the late 90s/early 2000s. I just downloaded the Comixology app and gave it a whirl, though, and I'm loving some of the stuff that's out now. Hawkguy, Savage Wolverine, but especially this. I plowed through the first three volumes and I'm seriously tempted to buy a subscription, but I really want to wait for the collected editions. God, I hate Fiona Staples so much for being so good at what she does. Looking at her stuff makes everything I do seem sloppy and stupid but I just can't stop looking.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
While I get waiting for collections, I'll say reading this as a monthly is a joy. Every first page is amazing and every issue is really filling.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Aw, what the gently caress? They got iTunes gift cards on sale this weekend, anyway.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The cover for #19 has me so excited. It pretty much confirms that they're going to join the acting troupe.

Also, for those following month to month, remember May 21st is the return date.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Buying the trades sent me mad waiting for Volume 3. How on Earth am I going to survive until Volume 4?!?!?!?!

(Been reading through Y:TLM just to keep me entertained, but it's not as good as Saga)

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Man, I was out on a remote island hiking on Wednesday and now that I'm back absolutely everywhere I go is sold out of Volume 3. It's bothering me more than it should considering I have all the single issues.

edit: Or wait, has it been out for two weeks? That might explain it. Anyway pretty excited for #19 and the different direction they're hinting at.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Being a trade reader is a terrible life. Volume 3 was the best one yet.

I HATED Prince Robot IV so much until his reboot. gently caress. Noone deserves that. :(

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
You're not supposed to like IV, you're supposed to empathize with him. While what he's doing is terrible his motivations for doing so are relatable in similar ways as the rest of the casts' are. I don't hate the guy, he just wants to get back home to his family; he has no reason to protect Marko or Alana or give a poo poo about any random freelancer. I'm curious what's changed for him by issue 19 assuming we see him again.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Do we know when the hiatus is ending? I seem to remember it being this month but I'm unclear on the date.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Do we know when the hiatus is ending? I seem to remember it being this month but I'm unclear on the date.

19 is scheduled for next wednesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I've been keeping the OP updated with the new issue and hiatus dates.

• Locked thread