Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Shitshow posted:

Prince Robot IV will probably be headed to Gardenia in pursuit of his son, so it wouldn't surprise me if they have to split up to save Hazel (as one poster already mentioned).
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Robot IV became part of their crew or at least helps them in some way. He had his revelation about the opposite of war and he's now going to learn what it means to do anything to protect your child. But, more than that, his wife is dead because he wasn't there. I can see him turning on Landfall for putting him on the mission to begin with.

Also, good riddance, Mama Sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Also, good riddance, Mama Sun.

Did you notice that one of the prostitutes was a Human Centipede?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just finished the first three trades to this and IT IS AWESOM! Favorite moment so far is the planet that gives birth to...what ever the gently caress that thing was. I love that this series REALLY goes out there with it's character designs.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Just finished the first trade - ready to get the next in the series. Been following the current arcs on scans_daily.

I REALLY hope cheating isn't the reason they split.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I like that the Janitor is playing cartoons on his head while he's slaughtering everyone, to keep the prince distracted. I don't remember any other instance of one of the robots intentionally projecting a specific image- haven't their screens all been subconscious stuff up to now?

Parahexavoctal posted:

Did you notice that one of the prostitutes was a Human Centipede?

You can actually see one (or more?) of them during The Will's first visit. They're easy to miss, among all of... the rest.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Cheston posted:

I don't remember any other instance of one of the robots intentionally projecting a specific image- haven't their screens all been subconscious stuff up to now?

I think Prince Robot IV did it in one of the early issues. He displayed either Marko's or Alana's face on his screen when interrogating a prisoner. I think the screens act as another mode of expression since the Robots don't have facial features. The bigger question I have about the Robot people is how do they eat? We know they do since the princess was holding some food at a party and the janitor's son died after drinking infected water, but what do they use for mouths? That's a question that has been bothering me for a while now.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

The_Other posted:

The bigger question I have about the Robot people is how do they eat? We know they do since the princess was holding some food at a party and the janitor's son died after drinking infected water, but what do they use for mouths? That's a question that has been bothering me for a while now.

At SDCC Fiona Staples made a comment to the effect this drove her crazy, as well, and she's the artist.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Shitshow posted:

At SDCC Fiona Staples made a comment to the effect this drove her crazy, as well, and she's the artist.

Maybe their TV screens can open up?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Stick a straw into the speaker grill?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Why would they need to consume food for energy? They don't. They're loving robots.

Why would they have food then? Well they're also aristocrats. Having things for the sole purpose of showing that you have them is kind of an aristocrat thing to do.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I imagine Hazel will eventually say something like "...and I never did figure out how they ate."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

ElNarez posted:

Why would they need to consume food for energy? They don't. They're loving robots.

Why would they have food then? Well they're also aristocrats. Having things for the sole purpose of showing that you have them is kind of an aristocrat thing to do.

but then how did Dengo's son (definitely a non-aristo) get robot dysentery?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Obviously they just display a mouth on their screen and shove the food into it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Parahexavoctal posted:

I believe the princess was also nursing when Dengo came in.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

I believe the princess was also nursing when Dengo came in.

It's like I can accept everything else about this universe crafted in Saga, but those drat TV sets. How do they work?!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Parahexavoctal posted:

Unreliable narrator? Sure, Dengo's not a narrator but it fits, dammit. Whatever this guy says can't be trusted as fact.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Guys, like the first pic in this thread is of Prince Robot taking a dump. Robots pooping is canon.

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

Guys, like the first pic in this thread is of Prince Robot taking a dump. Robots pooping is canon.

Poopbots.

Anyways, I've read the first two volumes. This comic is pretty great. The characters are very interesting, and the setting is well done. I'm unfamiliar with Vaughan's other work though, I should probably check out Y.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Timeless Appeal posted:

Nuts, you're right. Hmm, maybe their screens are permeable

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean that spike Dengo jammed through Princess Robot's screen sure did permeate it :getin:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Maybe it's an affectation, or maybe everyone gets their best thinking done on the toilet, whether they're pooping or not!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Or maybe it's just based on whatever works best for the scene and there's not any rhyme or reason to robot anatomy.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Or maybe it's just based on whatever works best for the scene and there's not any rhyme or reason to robot anatomy.
...naaaaaaahhhhhh....:goonsay:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

superh posted:

Maybe it's an affectation, or maybe everyone gets their best thinking done on the toilet, whether they're pooping or not!

That's exactly what I thought at the time, but now this growing debate over robot bodily functions means I'm not so sure anymore.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

They seem pretty malleable, probably just form whatever orifice they need same as they do weapons.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, i don't think it's that complicated. Some robots can morph their arms into cannons. I guess they also morph their faces to produce a tiny orifice for food.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Parahexavoctal posted:

Broadcasted a Duck Dynasty marathon. Next question.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, i don't think it's that complicated. Some robots can morph their arms into cannons. I guess they also morph their faces to produce a tiny orifice for food.

That's probably it. Then again we have only seen the nobles morph, Dengo had to bring his own weapons when he hijacked the spaceship. Maybe all the Robots can alter their bodies, but only the nobles can produce weapons. I also think that we are over-thinking this issue, I'm kinda sorry I brought it up.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
To be fair, I think it's very purposeful. Seeing the robots have sex, nurse, and poop are things that you could definitely avoid showing and the fact that the robots do those things makes them much more intriguing. I personally imagine them being a species that merged with technology, but when they did so, created a clear caste system in terms of ability that led to society regressing to a feudal system. But I hope their origin is never explored.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Obviously they just display a mouth on their screen and shove the food into it.

This is clearly the best and correct answer.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The_Other posted:

That's probably it. Then again we have only seen the nobles morph, Dengo had to bring his own weapons when he hijacked the spaceship. Maybe all the Robots can alter their bodies, but only the nobles can produce weapons. I also think that we are over-thinking this issue, I'm kinda sorry I brought it up.

Further proof that FLCL and Saga share a universe.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Further proof that FLCL and Saga share a universe.
Dude, I thought I was the only one thinking that :hfive:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
By the way, hardcover is coming out for November.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really hope they chose that cover to gently caress with the people who got all outraged at the first issue cover. :laffo:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really hope they chose that cover to gently caress with the people who got all outraged at the first issue cover. :laffo:
They did!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That is beautiful.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I found an interview.

quote:

The truly out-there sci-fi series’ first deluxe hardcover, collecting the first 18 issues, has a cover image of the infant Hazel breastfeeding, with her parents’ home worlds of Wreath and Landfall behind her.

“We’re doubling down on our breastfeeding stance,” Staples said, referring to a different cover image that graced the series’ debut issue and first collected paperback. It showed Alana and Marko with Hazel breastfeeding and caused a stir.

Vaughan said his response to hearing that some retailers were covering the image was a colorful, “Well … that.” After the applause died down, he said, “If your store doesn’t like that cover, if you don’t want to read a book with that cover, then we’re not the book for you.”

:allears:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Holy poo poo.

BKV posted:

"There really are slave girls in the world, and they don’t look anything like Princess Leia in a bikini."

That particular parallel had absolutely not occurred to me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

What idiot wanted Freema Agyeman for Alana dream casting? Not only does she look nothing like Alana, she does look exactly like Gwendolyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Jedit posted:

What idiot wanted Freema Agyeman for Alana dream casting? Not only does she look nothing like Alana, she does look exactly like Gwendolyn.

It says Fiona Staples likes the suggestion and I imagine she knows what the characters look like pretty well...

• Locked thread