Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Superstring posted:

It says Fiona Staples likes the suggestion and I imagine she knows what the characters look like pretty well...

I imagine so too, but that doesn't mean she knows what Freema Agyeman looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
This is the classic casting fallacy of assuming that the actor has to look exactly like the part, when in fact no-one gives a crap about an exact resemblance. It's the exact same thing that plaguing every superhero movie. Gal Gadot's too thin. Andrew Garfield is too old. Christopher Reeve looks nothing like Superman. Freema would be great for the part because I believe based on my experience seeing her that she can pull off the characterization of Alana. She's a good actress.

Mimir fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 19, 2014

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Okay, no one ever said that about Christopher.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

I imagine so too, but that doesn't mean she knows what Freema Agyeman looks like.

She did draw her for the Doctor Who comic she did.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Today's issue: What a loving issue!!! :stare:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
King Robots head is amazing.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I was looking through the online descriptions of the upcoming issues and I love that #24's description was my exact thoughts on seeing the cover.

Is there any pseudo-translation for the Wreath language? I usually get the general gist, but I wasn't sure if anyone had worked out a more solid translation.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's Esperanto.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Ahaha, so it is. This comic owns.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Phylodox posted:

It's Esperanto.

I think I actually knew that, somehow, but I wasn't sure it wasn't just something I imagined. Time to toss dialogue in Google Translate!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Haha, I somehow managed to be totally blown away by King Robot. I love this series so much.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Heavy is the LCD that wears the crown.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
When we got the close-up of the King's scepter I was really rooting for it to be a TV remote.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Braking Gnus posted:

When we got the close-up of the King's scepter I was really rooting for it to be a TV remote.

It was

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
With only 7 buttons? What a horribly deprived life you must be living.

It was technically, but I was looking more for one of those universal remotes with 8000 buttons. Should have been clearer.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Man, did everything happen in this issue.

I absolutely love you can tell so much by looking at a TV alien guy. They are the true epitome of a caste based society where you can tell their purpose from their appearance alone. There's no mistake who is king and who is janitor there.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Man, did everything happen in this issue.

I absolutely love you can tell so much by looking at a TV alien guy. They are the true epitome of a caste based society where you can tell their purpose from their appearance alone. There's no mistake who is king and who is janitor there.
I keep trying to convince my friends to read the single issues as opposed to the trades. Every issue is just so rich, rewarding, and perfectly constructed.

As for content, I actually really like the idea of Marko and Alana breaking-up because it really changes the story thematically. If Alana and Marko are soulmates then the story becomes one about true love conquering war and hatred. The problem with that theme is that it's setting a high standard for what can overcome war. If you don't fall in love with someone then you're poo poo out of luck. You might as well keep killing unless you find Mr/Ms. Right.

Marko and Alana breaking up makes the story about two people who chose something else--anything else--besides war. It goes along with Robot's vision. They chose the opposite of war, to connect with another person as literally as possible. If they stay together or not is irrelevant. Even if their relationship was imperfect, it still yielded life--both figuratively and literally--as opposed to war that only brings death.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Prince Robot's baby is real

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That's funny.

So Saga 23 was really great. What else can I say? Just give in to the sexy bat, Marko!!!

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Saga 23 makes me hope for a Marko and Prince Robot team-up in the next few issues.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I'm wondering if next issue might not on Marko, Alana and Prince Robot IV at all, and give us a quick look at what the other players in this story have been up to. This might just be wishful thinking because I'm really starting to miss The Will and Lying Cat, of course. The pop-up on Dengo's screen made me all wistful.

I also want to think more on what to make of Prince Robot realizing his son is alive thanks to finding his dirty diaper, compared to Dengo's son's death by dysentery. It's a very nice parallel, at least.

Oh and also I love all the clothing in the book. Everyone's outfits are amazing and great.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Pretty sure next issue will be focussing on the other cast members based on its cover and solicit.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The letters page said that the next issue features The Will's sister.

Speaking of the letters page, I hope everyone ripped theirs out to send in for the survey.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

goldenoreos posted:

Saga 23 makes me hope for a Marko and Prince Robot team-up in the next few issues.

That was what immediately flashed through my mind when I saw that panel.

Also I'm glad that it was a physical split up and that Alana and Marko didn't end up splitting up as a couple...yet.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Starsnostars posted:

The letters page said that the next issue features The Will's sister.

Speaking of the letters page, I hope everyone ripped theirs out to send in for the survey.

I'm curious how many people will fill out the survey, since they only accept physical letters. I know I am filling it out.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Dr.Magnificent posted:

I'm curious how many people will fill out the survey, since they only accept physical letters. I know I am filling it out.

Anyone who rips the actual page out gets put in for a drawing of an autographed Saga script so I imagine people who are huge fans won't have any worries about that at all.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

goldenoreos posted:

Hazel's wording of villains turned heroes being "pretty loving rare" implied to me that Prince Robot was one of the few examples of that being the case.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Hazel's wording of villains turned heroes being "pretty loving rare" implied to me that Prince Robot was one of the few examples of that being the case.

Also a line far earlier in the series was about how Prince Robot IV was always right. Implying she spends some time around him.

SalTheBard posted:

Anyone who rips the actual page out gets put in for a drawing of an autographed Saga script so I imagine people who are huge fans won't have any worries about that at all.

I buy it digital so I can't rip pages out :(. I wonder if I printed them if that'd be cool.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Dr.Magnificent posted:

Also a line far earlier in the series was about how Prince Robot IV was always right. Implying she spends some time around him.

I buy it digital so I can't rip pages out :(. I wonder if I printed them if that'd be cool.

mail them two tablets with answers written on the appropriate parts of the screen in sharpie

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Small little thing I noticed on the reread. It's poo poo that kills Dengo's son and poo poo that confirms IV's son still being alive.

By the way, does anyone think Alana might end up being sympathetic to Dengo?

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Timeless Appeal posted:

Small little thing I noticed on the reread. It's poo poo that kills Dengo's son and poo poo that confirms IV's son still being alive.

They might even start dating! :heysexy:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Timeless Appeal posted:

Nah, maybe Marko might have, but Alana seems more likely to feel like she's solely invested in trying to keep her family safe and the rest of the world will have to get by on their own.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Exciting issue today, focusing on all the cool stuff I've been waiting for! And now a hiatus. MAAAAN

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Everytime The Stalk shows up in a flashback or a hallucination I get sad that she was killed off so early on. She was such a cool character and the early gut punch of her death gets worse as we learn more about her.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Ending of this issue made me very happy. I am very excited for this all-star space dad team-up.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Really nice to see Gwen, Sophie and Lying Cat again. I hadn't realized how much I'd been missing them the past few issues until they showed up again.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This is going to be by far the hardest hiatus.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

That was the best "lying" panel yet

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I want a print of that last panel to match my #8 print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Iggles posted:

That was the best "lying" panel yet

Lying

http://www.catster.com/files/comic-book-cats-04.jpg

• Locked thread