Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Great series, nice OP.

I tried to hold off on reading this until the full series was done, because I often have had trouble keeping up with monthlies, but eventually I heard too much praise and it looked too cool, so I started it, and now I'm done through 12.

SO GOOD. I really, really love Fiona Staples' art, and the delightful weirdness of the world. Story is engaging, but I'm having enough fun seeing cool things on each new panel that I almost feel it would be worth paying for even if I, like, couldn't read English.

But the characters ARE really great, too. I probably am most intrigued by side characters (Izabel, The Will & Lying Cat, Special Agent Gale as a total jerk...), but Alana & Marko aren't bad, either.

onefish fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Jedit posted:

Here's something fun for you, then: the Freelancers all have names that are both a noun and a verb.

Ha! That is pretty great. Yeah, that was another fun thing, "The" as a title. Totally want to know lots more about Freelancers. But get that they should have mystery to them as well.

Which reminds me, the first introduction of The Stalk was such an amazing comics page.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Man, I love Fiona Staples' art for this series. Anyone have recommendations for other really good series or miniseries that are also good showcases for her art?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Lars Blitzer posted:

Sorry for dragging this up from page 2, but I've got a miniseries I think you'll like: North 40. Written by Aaron Williams, too. http://www.comicvine.com/north-40/4050-27021/

Hey--thanks! Had not heard about this, and it looks quite cool.

comicvine posted:

Somewhere in Midwestern America was a place called Conover County. When the old book was opened, and the runes therein used in haste and ignorance, a place of farms, simple folk, and small-town dreams became a den of monsters and nightmare. NORTH 40 is the story of those who survived and came to confront an even greater evil on the horizon - one that wouldn't just consume their flesh, but their souls as well. Heroes arise with power to bring against the dark: Wyatt, an unwilling protector of his former tormentors; Amanda, an apprentice to forgotten arts; and Sheriff Morgan, whose bonds with Conover County go back farther than even he can remember. See where it started, and watch where it's all going in NORTH 40 #1. Created by Aaron Williams (PS238, The Nodwick Chronicles) and Fiona Staples (SECRET HISTORY OF THE AUTHORITY: HAWKSMOOR).

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

GodDAMN this is a great comic. Did Y: the Last Man feel this amazing month-to-month? I read Y all in one go and loved it, but practically every single issue of Saga is a stunner.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

wiegieman posted:

Oh my god, I get it. Patent trolls.

oh my GOD.

(Just started rereading the issue.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Anaranjado posted:

This issue was awesome. Another amazing last page, obviously.

Completely amazing.

Saga is going to have to go down as the comic the kickstarted "the new golden age of comics," or something, right?

• Locked thread