Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Could do Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

HNasty posted:

Who is up for a breakfast at the crown vic this sat or sunday?

I'm a maybe for Sunday.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
Yea I might be able to make it too (pending things don't get too crazy Saturday night). What time you guys thinking?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I can do Sunday morning as long as it's not crazy early.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

So we could ride then eat, or eat then ride. Or some could eat and others meet after to ride. Like 9 or so? If we're going to be on H at the queen Vic we should at least put in a couple laps at the track. I don't know if HNasty had something more in mind. Out near Pawtuxent maybe? I've never ridden those roads but they look like they could be nice.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Double posting to say we'll be at the Queen Vic on H St NE at 9 Sunday morning.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
If anyone has a lead on any secure garage space for one motorcycle, something metro accessible that's at least vaguely close to DC, I'm looking to rent for a few months until I figure out some other details in my bike situation.

Second question, if I have a bike that is currently way expired on VA registration, and is at a local mechanic, is there any reasonable way to get it 10 miles back to whatever garage space without:
a) paying a few hundred dollars to register in DC
b) paying $100+ to get it towed there even though it'll be up and running
c) getting ticketed in DC for driving with long-expired plates.

suggestions?

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist, temp VA tags are only $10, maybe try and get those? Or grab a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul for $15.

In other news we had a pretty nice ride today. Got in some serious laps at the RFK Le Mans track today before we had to leave. Props to HNasty for handling the situation for us.

And of course a few pics from today with unnecessary filters ...

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

McLarenF1 posted:

TapTheForwardAssist, temp VA tags are only $10, maybe try and get those? Or grab a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul for $15.

Well I'll be, I thought temporary tags were just what you got with a full registration until your plates arrived in the mail, but apparently not:

quote:

If your motorcycle has expired tags, you'll have to get a 45-day temporary tag from the DMV service location at 301 C Street, NW. You'll have to bring the vehicle's title in your name (or correctly reassigned to you), proof of insurance, and a $13 fee to get the temporary tag.

So $13 and getting my insurance going will do it. Then I'll have 45 days to ride it and figure out whether my goal is to sell it or register it all the way and ride it longer.

It's a Triumph Bonneville I had in storage while I was out of the country, and then just didn't get around to getting back going. Stored pretty well, no huge problems there. I just never enjoyed the Bonneville as much as I thought I would, and want something nimbler and more flickable, so I'm pretty sure I'm in the market for a naked SV650 or Ninja 650. But the main thing is to find a safe parking space and get back up on a bike in general, since I'm getting a little stir-crazy in DC.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

But the main thing is to find a safe parking space and get back up on a bike in general, since I'm getting a little stir-crazy in DC.

I'm still debating getting a garage from my landlord for Dec - Feb, but we would have to have at least 5 guys throwing in for that to really be worth it in my opinion. The garage is on 1st and V NW and would be $225-250 a month. I know ought ten is interested, what do you think?

Someone has offered me the free spot in their garage though, which is why I'm holding out on the other option.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is it covered/offstreet? Cause I'd be down for that too. If not, I'd also be fine with storing it at Praline's backyard for a few months.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Is it covered/offstreet? Cause I'd be down for that too. If not, I'd also be fine with storing it at Praline's backyard for a few months.

Yeah, it's a fully covered garage with a locking door. No heat but there is an outlet for a battery tender or something. I haven't been over there in a while but from what I remember about 5 or 6 bikes could fit inside. If there continues to be interest I'm gonna go check it out again.

The only real worry I'd have is someone seeing the door open with 5+ bikes inside.

Miskatonic U.
Aug 13, 2008

Do you read Sutter Cane?
I live in Arlington right across the key bridge. I did the MSF and got my license a year ago but haven't really done anything with it. I just got a bike. I'd like to meet some of you fine people, as soon as I learn how to not die on it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Miskatonic U. posted:

I live in Arlington right across the key bridge. I did the MSF and got my license a year ago but haven't really done anything with it. I just got a bike. I'd like to meet some of you fine people, as soon as I learn how to not die on it.

For the love of god don't go out with those hooligans. If you want to live stay as far away as possible. Just this weekend they got a gentle talking-to from a police officer as they proceeded meekly out of a parking lot.

Edit: for real though we'd love to have you. What'd you get?

ought ten fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 1, 2013

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
So... who is free to ride because of the government shutdown? :P

Anyhow, I still haven't been to the RFK track and I'd like to check it out sometime. Anyone up for it this week/next week?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Miskatonic U. posted:

Get some practice in quick, this awesome weather won't last. What kind of bike did you get?

lowcrabdiet posted:

Anyhow, I still haven't been to the RFK track and I'd like to check it out sometime. Anyone up for it this week/next week?

I'm out of town this weekend, but I'm in for a couple times after work next week.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

For the love of god don't go out with those hooligans. If you want to live stay as far away as possible. Just this weekend they got a gentle talking-to from a police officer as they proceeded meekly out of a parking lot.

Them pigs are just lucky they didn't try to give us a written warning :clint:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

lowcrabdiet posted:

So... who is free to ride because of the government shutdown? :P

My wife has been asking me to take her for a ride so I'm thinking of getting some practice with her on the back over there soon. She's not working because of the shutdown so we might try to get out there in the afternoon sometime this week. With what the cops told us last time I think actually using it for that kind of practice would only make it more likely that we can stay longer.

Of course, if I was over there anyways I'd need to get a lap or too in, if anybody else is up for it.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
I recall Hot Sauce hitting me up in the MSF thread when I posted earlier this summer. Now that I've got more seat time, some more miles riding in DC area traffic, and a few group rides under my belt I feel like now I'd only be a 90% drag-anchor on shenanigans. That said, totally up for some rides while the weather lasts.

Miskatonic U.
Aug 13, 2008

Do you read Sutter Cane?

hot sauce posted:

Get some practice in quick, this awesome weather won't last. What kind of bike did you get?

I'm working on it! It's a 2009 royal enfield bullet. All the convenience and reliability of a bike 50 years older than I am, no doubt.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Miskatonic U. posted:

I'm working on it! It's a 2009 royal enfield bullet. All the convenience and reliability of a bike 50 years older than I am, no doubt.

Perfect. Koruthaiolos and I need a bike we can keep up with.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

ought ten posted:

Perfect. Koruthaiolos and I need a bike we can keep up with.

That reminds me, I was riding home a couple days ago and a huge dude (maybe 350-400 lbs) on a tiny scooter wearing a bicycle helmet over top of a backwards baseball cap rode by me at an intersection. He looked over, gave me a big nod, and a couple small beeps. He identified with me; I felt so ashamed.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I wanted to go to Skyline Drive on Friday but apparently it's closed because of the shutdown. Does anyone know of any similarly scenic routes/destinations that are within 2-3 hours of DC?

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

lowcrabdiet posted:

I wanted to go to Skyline Drive on Friday but apparently it's closed because of the shutdown. Does anyone know of any similarly scenic routes/destinations that are within 2-3 hours of DC?
That's actually still a great run to do; you just miss out on the scenic outlook and picture opportunity. HNasty can give you the details; I think it's 211 that runs up and down the mountain is awesome, as well as several other nearby/on the way roads. Check out the map I post of our trip out there a few months ago.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

McLarenF1 posted:

That's actually still a great run to do; you just miss out on the scenic outlook and picture opportunity. HNasty can give you the details; I think it's 211 that runs up and down the mountain is awesome, as well as several other nearby/on the way roads. Check out the map I post of our trip out there a few months ago.
211 is nice, and is a state road that basically crosses through Skyline National Park, so it's open. I *think* the Blue Ridge Parkway would be open, and that's a couple hundred miles of scenic road. It's a federal highway, but not a federal park.

There's 675 and 678 as well on the Luray side of 211. Not so scenic, but pretty good twisty roads.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Nice turn out at Bike Night today. Some really awesome bikes too.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I know some of you were planning on going down to southern Virginia this weekend, but for anybody who isn't I'm planning on a morning ride tomorrow around either southern Maryland or up in Frederick county. I'll be trying to leave around 7 or 8. If you're interested let me know and we can figure out a meeting point.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Instead of going down to Virginia like I originally intended, I ended up going to the RFK track for my first time today and got kicked out by a police after a couple of sighting laps. Did I just get unlucky?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

hot sauce posted:

I'm still debating getting a garage from my landlord for Dec - Feb, but we would have to have at least 5 guys throwing in for that to really be worth it in my opinion. The garage is on 1st and V NW and would be $225-250 a month. I know ought ten is interested, what do you think?

Someone has offered me the free spot in their garage though, which is why I'm holding out on the other option.

That's a little out of the way for me, but then again I'm not getting a bike to be a daily driver so much as something for occasional rides, daytrips, etc. so I suppose it's not imperative the bike be just down the street of me. By bikeshare I could be down at 1st and V in 15m or so I suppose.

Doesn't start until December though? I just registered by Bonneville I had down in storage in VA, but I'm thinking I'm going to sell it off over the winter, or at start of next season at latest. I'm pretty sure I want a naked SV650 instead, since I'm big on flickable/nimble bikes, which the Bonny is not. Getting up early Saturday to go pick up the bike from Clinton Cycles, down off of Branch Ave, so it'll be good to be up and riding again. I definitely won't be parking it in my neighbourhood given the arson on my previous bike, so I'm figuring out whether there might be safer parking a few blocks further west of me, or if I'm best to just park further out of the city in a Metro-accessible area.

This will take some puzzling.

BTW, if anyone in the DC area needs any parts for a Ninja 500, give me a shout.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 5, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm not even down there anymore, I rolled thru today since it sounded like Hnasty was out and everyone else was spotty.

Not a bad road but super tight marion-tazewell. Also the second half of the route had gravel littering the insides of the turns so bad they had big orange signs. A good road, but I saw better.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah sorry that didn't work out. I couldn't see making the trip down by myself. And then I ended up in VT anyway on a shutdown vacation.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

How late in the year do you guys usually stop riding? I've just found out it's probably going to be another two weeks till the bike gets fixed. I've spent most of the last decade in boston, so riding past mid-october seems an impossible thing in my mind, but I don't know when it gets cold/icy/whatever in this area. Don't really want to buy any winter gear either, I'm only here for 3 winters and I'll never use it again when I move away.

:sigh: 2+ months for a handlebar and a light.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

How late in the year do you guys usually stop riding? I've just found out it's probably going to be another two weeks till the bike gets fixed. I've spent most of the last decade in boston, so riding past mid-october seems an impossible thing in my mind, but I don't know when it gets cold/icy/whatever in this area. Don't really want to buy any winter gear either, I'm only here for 3 winters and I'll never use it again when I move away.

:sigh: 2+ months for a handlebar and a light.

This is my first winter so I'm just guessing here, but I'm planning on riding into mid November. If we have another mild winter like last year though, I won't be winterizing the bike at all.

What exactly is wrong with your bike?

edit: to elaborate on our winters here, it doesn't snow that much but can be a crap shoot. We had a snowstorm that shut the city down for a week in 2010, and then had 70 degree winter days in 2012. December through early March will most likely be the months that are too cold to ride in.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 7, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I rode throughout winter last year except for when it was icy. I never went incredibly fast because I don't have warm enough clothes, but a pair of jeans with long underwear, my leather jacket + zip-in liner, and a pair of really warm gloves were enough for general bumming around the city.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hot sauce posted:

What exactly is wrong with your bike?

Moving company broke it, dragged their feet on getting the appraiser out, dragged their feet on sending the check, appraiser didn't appraise correctly, now the shop has to call them to authorize another check, basically a two month clusterfuck. They also broke a bunch of other belongings of mine, like a vintage record player, which they took to get repaired 2 weeks ago and returned yesterday, literally untouched and still broken.

I really wish I could have repaired the bike myself. It would have taken a week.

e:

M42 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 7, 2013

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

nsaP posted:

Not a bad road but super tight marion-tazewell. Also the second half of the route had gravel littering the insides of the turns so bad they had big orange signs. A good road, but I saw better.
Good to know about the gravel. I'll be asking around about that being cleared up before I head down next Spring.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone riding this weekend? If it's not raining I'll be on the bike or at the very lest get some laps in at the track.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I have to work Saturday, but would be up for something any time Sunday.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
Riding to the MD renfaire* saturday, Sunday's busy. Again.

*assuming low chance of rain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I'm also up for anything during the day on the weekend.

• Locked thread