Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«6 »
Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Welcome to the Journey For The 101th Grey Cup!

Your previous season champions, Toronto Argonauts, had a fine time becoming a dominant force for rookie coach Scott Milanovich as he sat back and watched Ricky Ray wreck the playoffs to cement his eliteness.
Have a fun recap!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k_5TFtwqpY

Many changes have happened since that final whistle in November but only one thing mattered;

-Geroy Simon is a Roughrider.

the rest are listed on the transactions page

The season begins Thursday June 27th at 9:00PM EST

Team links
British Columbia Lions
Calgary Stampeders
Edmonton Eskimos
Hamilton Tiger Cats
Alouettes de Montréal
Saskatchewan Roughriders
Toronto Argonauts
Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Team that doesn't exist yet link
Rouge Et Noir de Ottawa

Fun Links!!!!
http://www.cfl.ca/ How can you enjoy football without going to their website?!
http://www.tsn.ca/CFL/ Get latest news and analysis from the league's broadcast partner
http://www.youtube.com/user/cfltv/videos Watch highlights and top 10 plays with league approved videos!
https://twitter.com/CFL Follow for league stuff
https://twitter.com/canadiancommish Official Commissioner Twitter, he's a fun cool dude. Unlike a certain No Fun Commissioner.

LETS GET EXCITED FOR FOOTBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mefLj3eB7Gc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Goodnight Canada!

Last year I said the season would be rigged for the Argos.

This year it will be rigged for the Riders.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Reminder that the games will be streaming on ESPN3 for US audiences.

Football is happening this weekend, guys. Go Lions.

Rene Bork
Mar 20, 2007

Get to Know Your Canadiens

Today's Question: Spell your name backwards.

"K....R.....O...B "

mallratcal posted:

Last year I said the season would be rigged for the Argos.

This year it will be rigged for the Riders.

Please god let it be so.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Benne posted:

Reminder that the games will be streaming on ESPN3 for US audiences.

Football is happening this weekend, guys. Go Lions.

Actually Benne gotta correct you there, the US broadcaster this season is NBC Sports Network
http://www.cfl.ca/page/us-broadcast-schedule

I was gonna update everyone properly on Thursday for the GDT but maybe saying ahead of time is better...

So everyone with NBCSN lucks out!

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

I'M VINCENT KENNEDY MCMAHONDROID DAMMIT

Lets go Bombers, reaching for a .500 season (reaching is the key word)

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Joey McChrist posted:

Hooray for mediocrity!

mindofme
May 19, 2003

Learn trispace and never have to think about math again!

Once again the Eskimos go into the season with no absolute staring QB, questionable running game, Stamps left alone to hold up the receiving core and special teams a whole new kind of "special".

I'm guessing they'll probably make it to the semi-finals and then get trounced by the Riders.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

LET'S GO GREENGOLDS!!

And to match the thread title, this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS1jCfg7Qxc

Also if I have some time tonight and if anyone cares I can do my annual write up of the differences between Canadian and American rules. This play will come up as an example of things http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp5hxwzsYnk (apologies to Drunk Canuck for posting this, but I really can't see it enough).

MassaShowtime
Aug 16, 2012

Saviour, thy name is Knuckle

Don't forget the funnest link! The CFL drinking game!!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-...224197114277970

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Two questions:

1) Is there any official live streaming of this online? I've got WatchESPN for the ESPN games, but can I get the NBC games?
2) What's the breakdown of the team personalities? I want to know who to adopt as my team.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Drunk Canuck posted:

Actually Benne gotta correct you there, the US broadcaster this season is NBC Sports Network
http://www.cfl.ca/page/us-broadcast-schedule

I was gonna update everyone properly on Thursday for the GDT but maybe saying ahead of time is better...

So everyone with NBCSN lucks out!

E: Look at this idiot who didn't click your link.

Yeah you're right, NBCSN it is, but it's also streaming on ESPN3.

Benne fucked around with this message at Jun 27, 2013 around 01:03

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

[s]Annual unnecessarily long post explaining differences between CFL and American football. If any of this is wrong or if I've forgotten something let me know.

The Field, Ball, and Game Basics

-There are 12 players on the field in the CFL
-The field is 65 yards wide and 110 yards long
-The endzones are 20 yards deep. On some fields they have rounded corners due to a track surrounding the field
-The goal posts are located on the goal line and are in bounds. A ball striking the goal posts is sometimes, but not always dead (see below)
-There are 17 yards between the hash marks. This means fields goals are often tried from outside the goal posts.
-The tolerances for the ball allow it to be slightly bigger in the CFL.
-There's a white stripe that goes all the way around the circumference of the ball at each end.
-Teams are only permitted 3 downs to get a first down (or score).

Timing Rules

-The time clock is only 20 seconds in the CFL. The clock does not start until the ball is set and the referee signals Ready-For-Play (Usually ends up being about 25-30 seconds between plays by my highly unofficial count).
-There is an official time out with 3 minutes remaining in the half in the CFL. The 3 minute warning will not be called the moment the clock hits 3 minutes (as the 2 minute warning in the NFL), but will only be given if the previous play ended with less than 3 minutes on the clock (In practice if it ends with 3:05 or less they'll usually let it run to 3:00 and call the 3 minute warning)
-Once the three minute warning has been given in the half, the timing rules change quite a bit. The clock automatically stops after every play. The clock will start on the Ready-For-Play if the clock would normally not have stopped from the previous play, and it will start on the snap if it would have stopped from the previous play.
-After the three minute warning the clock will not run during a convert.
-A time count penalty after the three minute warning will be a loss of down on first or second down, and a 10 yard penalty on third down.
-CFL teams are only permitted one time out in each half.
-There is no penalty in the CFL which calls for time to be run off the clock.

Players in Bounds
-A CFL player is considered in bounds with only one point of contact in bounds and none out of bounds (ie. a player only needs to get one foot down in bounds for a completed pass, and a player is considered to have reestablished a position in bounds with only one foot in bounds)
-In the CFL you can still be awarded a completed pass if the receiver is forced out of bounds by the opponent while in the air, and would have come down in bounds.

Officials
-For some reason in the CFL the referee wears a black hat and all the other officials wear white hats. This is the only level of football I can find anywhere where this is the case. It just bugs me.
-The officials penalty flags are orange in Canada.

Scrimmage
-Ineligible receivers are numbered 50-69. Eligible receivers are numbered 0-49 and 70-00 (According the the CFL rule book 0 and 00 are apparently different numbers).
-The neutral zone extends from the line of scrimmage to one yard in front of the LOS. Anyone in this zone (or in advance of it) when the ball is snapped is offside.
-When the Centre snaps the ball, he must pass it between his legs. According to Trin Trigula's Rules thread this is not the case in the American rules.
-Only the interior line players cannot be in motion when the ball is snapped. The two ends on the line can be in motion along the line (after having come set for 1 second), and all backfield players can be in motion in any direction, including towards the LOS.
-If an offensive player is office by more than one yard the play will be blown dead before the snap. If the is offside but still within the neutral zone the play will be allowed to proceed.
-On first or second down, if the offense is on or within their 10 yard line, they may request the ball be moved to the closest hash mark.
-On third down, if the offense is within their 15 yard line, they may request the ball be moved to the closest hash mark.
-The ball cannot be scrimmaged between the one yard line and the goal line. If it goes dead within the one yard line, it will moved to the one yard line and scrimmaged there.

Player Designations
-Three players must be designated as quarterbacks on the roster. Only one quarterback may be in the game at one time, and a quarterback can never be in the game on defense. If either of these happen it's a 25 yard penalty.
-A CFL game roster has 42 players. 3 Quarterbacks, 20 non-import players, and 19 import players. A non-import play is "A player who was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate of 7 years prior to turning 15 or if he’s a Canadian Citizen, was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate period of 5 years prior to turning 18".
-Of the 24 starting players, at least 7 must be non-imports.
-The sideline officials will carry a card with them that lists which players are imports and which are non-imports to make sure the proper ratio is maintained.

Passing
-Defenders may only contact eligible receivers within one yard of the LOS.
-If the ball is intercepted in the endzone and downed there the defense will then scrimmage at the 25 yard line.

Scrimmage Kicking (Punts, Field Goals, and Drop Goals)
-The CFL kicking rules are much closer to rugby rules than the NFL.
-Kicking teams are allowed to use a tee on field goal and convert attempts.
-A field goal can be scored by way of a drop goal - dropping the ball to the ground and then kicking it just as it bounces.
-A kick from scrimmage can be legally recovered by the kicking team. Any player who is behind the ball when it is kicked is considered 'onside', and can recover a kicked ball by their team. After recovering the ball, they are free to try to advance the ball by either running or kicking. The offense will only be awarded a first down recovering their own kick if they gain the required yardage.
-Offside players cannot recover a ball kicked by their team, nor can they be within 5 yards of the ball when it is touched by a member of the receiving team. If they're in this restraining zone or are the first player to touch the ball they will be assessed either a 5 or 15 yard penalty depending on the circumstances (called a no-yards penalty).
-Teams are not limited to only one kick per play. There can be multiple kicks by both teams for anywhere on the field on a single play. Any kick after the first kick on a play is called a 'return kick', and is subject to the same restraining zone rules as any scrimmage kick.
-A kicked ball is dead if it strikes the front of the goal posts in flight (a field goal will still be awarded if the ball ends up going through). A kicked ball is live if it strikes the goal posts after striking the ground, a player, or an official. A kicked ball is live, and the kicking team is screwed, if it strikes the back of the goal posts while being kicked from the endzone.

Scoring
-The Rouge (it means red). It is worth one point. It is scored when a kick from scrimmage enters the receiving teams endzone and the receiving team is unable to advance it out of the endzone, either by voluntarily downing it (taking a knee), being tackled, or the ball going out of bounds. After a rouge is scored the team being scored on will scrimmage from their 35 yard line.
-A rouge can only be scored on a kickoff if it touches the ground or a player before going out of bounds. If it goes out of bounds in the endzone in flight the receiving team will scrimmage from their 20 yard line with no points scored.
-After scoring a safety, the scoring team has the option to either kick off from their 35 yard line, scrimmage from their 35 yard line, or have the opposing team kick off from their 25 yard line.

Penalties
-What are called personal fouls in American football are called Major Fouls in Canadian Football

Overtime
-CFL overtime rules pretty much match the NCAA. Here they are copied from the rule book:
In the event that the score is tied at the end of the second half of a game, each team
will be given the opportunity to score using the following procedure:
• The first team, as determined by coin toss, shall scrimmage the ball at the
opponent’s 35-yard line and may advance by consecutive series of downs until it
makes a score or loses possession.
• The second team will then scrimmage at the same 35-yard line and proceed as
above.
•If the score is a touchdown, the convert attempt must be a two point attempt
scrimmaged from the 5 yd line.
• If the score is still tied, the procedure shall be repeated at the opposite end of the
stadium.
• A winner is determined only if both teams have had equal opportunities to score.
• If a winner is not determined after two attempts the game will be declared a tie.
• If the game is a playoff or championship game and a winner must be determined,
the same procedure shall continue until a winner is finally declared.

There's a few other things that I'm missing, but I'll try to remember them tomorrow and edit them in. Let me know if there's anything I missed, got horribly wrong, or should explain better.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

faxman quit posting that link drat man

Benne posted:

E: Look at this idiot who didn't click your link.

Yeah you're right, NBCSN it is, but it's also streaming on ESPN3.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/60-cfl-ga...n-espn-networks

Hey look what those assholes as ESPN agree to broadcast a day after I say that games had so far been announced as NBCSN only.
gently caress you bristol, connecticut making me a liar.

Thanks for the reminder MassaShowtime, gonna make sure the drinking game is in each GDT OP.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Two questions:

1) Is there any official live streaming of this online? I've got WatchESPN for the ESPN games, but can I get the NBC games?
2) What's the breakdown of the team personalities? I want to know who to adopt as my team.

I'll tell you that the known internet streamers have high enough quality feeds

As for adoption, list your favourites and we'll source you a choice. Except Hamilton, gently caress the Ti-Cats.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins

Faxman posted:

-CFL teams are only permitted one time out in each half.

There is a change in the rule book for this year that still limits teams to just two time outs, but they may use them all in one half if they should so choose.

However, they can only use one during the final three minutes of the second half.

As an expansion of the roster bit, the team dresses 42 of 46 players it has on its roster. There is also a practice roster. And if you aren't a Canadian and find yourself on a CFL practice roster, you really have to start thinking that your future in football is going to be quite short.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Drunk Canuck posted:

I'll tell you that the known internet streamers have high enough quality feeds

As for adoption, list your favourites and we'll source you a choice. Except Hamilton, gently caress the Ti-Cats.

I'm a New York Giants fan in the NFL. Aside from growing up watching them, love them for the completely inexplicable runs they make, both good and bad. Games are always exciting cause you can never be quite sure if they'll pull it together right now. Also a team with a lot of history. I'm leaning toward Toronto right now, because I like the city and I've heard them described as similar to the Giants (presumably in the next quite sure if they can pull it off despite having all that talent?), though I also remember reading that the Roughriders had a crazy fanbase and were always fun to watch.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Cross-posting from the Toronto thread...

I managed to get two tickets for the season opener in Toronto tomorrow. Anybody want to come? PM me.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

all the pretty whoreses

if you're wondering what team to cheer for, be a rider fan. it's the most fun you'll ever have being cripplingly depressed

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

Joey McChrist posted:

Buck Pierce lost 25 pounds and looks weird and gaunt. Maybe now he'll just float away instead of being ground into the turf when he's decapitated every series.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

sweet thursday posted:

if you're wondering what team to cheer for, be a rider fan. it's the most fun you'll ever have being cripplingly depressed

Think I'm going to cheer for them this year, I've heard a lot of fun things about them. Though if I actually get into the sport, I have a feeling I'm going to end up following the Redblacks next year, since a new team seems like a great way to get into it.

With such a small league, I imagine there's a lot of bitter rivalries amongst all of the teams?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

EVGA Longoria posted:

With such a small league, I imagine there's a lot of bitter rivalries amongst all of the teams?

If you want to be a Rider fan expect everyone to hate you. Everyone who is not a Rider fan HATES Rider fans.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

I will regard the Raider question as solved only after the very last W has left their record. After the very last fan has left the continent.

GuavaMoment posted:

If you want to be a Rider fan expect everyone to hate you. Everyone who is not a Rider fan HATES Rider fans.

Sounds like what I'm used to minus an A.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

US Broadcasting Schedule in a spreadsheet - put this together for myself but I figured I'd share.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

THIS IS BLUE BOMBER FOOTBALL *fumbles football*

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

all the pretty whoreses

EVGA Longoria posted:

Think I'm going to cheer for them this year, I've heard a lot of fun things about them. Though if I actually get into the sport, I have a feeling I'm going to end up following the Redblacks next year, since a new team seems like a great way to get into it.
We've only won 3 championships in over 100 years. You're still getting in on the ground floor.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins

Hey all you non CFL regulars! Here’s a guide if you’re looking for some background info when you’re deciding on a team to cheer for this year.

West Division

B.C. Lions (2012: 13-5, first in west – lost West Final)

Overview: They are the best team in the league. They are so good they traded away one of the best receivers in league history for not much of anything just because they could. In truth, they probably needed cap room because they pay their quarterback an obscene amount of cash by CFL standards. Not that Travis Lulay isn't worth the investment, but Geroy had to go. Also, their kicker is Paul McCallum, who is like some sort of field goal making machine. McCallum played in the XFL, he is probably the last active player anywhere that was on one of those rosters. And he definitely is the last Ottawa Rough Rider still playing. That Andrew Harris guy they have in the backfield is also a big reason for their success as he averages 5.9 yards per carry.

Reasons to Cheer: The Lions are an exciting team and they will be hungry to get back to the Grey Cup after getting bounced by Calgary in the division finals last year. They have a well-balanced attack and will score a lot of points this year, even if McCallum is out hurt for a little bit.

Fellow Fans: The Booze Brothers

Since 1983, this small group of guys dresses up like the Blues Brothers, drinks heavily and cheers for the Lions. Their suits fit a little tighter each year, their hair is always a little more grey, but they soldier. Their favourite stop is the Grey Cup parade, where they hijack a luggage cart from some poor hotel and push it along the whole route.

Team Rival: The Montreal Allouettes. This rivalry only exists because the CFL schedule dictates that Labour Day weekend be "rivals" weekend and everyone else has a rival. This "rivalry" is almost certain to disappear next year, so I guess B.C. will have to hope for that team in Atlantic Canada to form up at some point before Ottawa folds again.

Calgary Stampeders (2012: 12-6, second in west – lost in Grey Cup)

Overview: The general consensus was the Stampeders didn't have much place being in the Grey Cup last year, and it wasn’t much of a surprise that they lost. This year they are again kinda middle of the road. They have a good running back in Jon Cornish to be sure, but there are serious questions at quarterback. Drew Tate missed most of last season and is still considered a bit unproven, Kevin Glenn is just old. Whomever the Stamps go with, they can't just throw to Nik Lewis all the time but there really isn't any standout second guy in that receiving corps. Their defence did get a boost with Jonathan Hefney being picked up after he was cast off from the Blue Bombers, and maybe that will help with downfield coverage a bit so their defence can improve from being the league-worst in sacks in 2012.

Reason to Cheer: It's a good season to cheer for the Stamps if you like drama in your football games and team. They'll likely play a lot of close ones and make the playoffs, all in spite of a QB controversy that will probably start in week 2. Longer odds than some to take it all, but you’ll get enough ups and downs to cover the cost of admission.

Fellow Fans: People with a horse

Calgary is very much becoming a major economic city like Toronto, but whenever football rolls around, they shed the business suits of their oil-and-gas day jobs and pop on cowboy hats, blue jeans and loudly coloured shirts. To reinforce their belief that they are still somehow a frontier town, someone always trots out a horse. And they make sure to bring one to the Grey Cup city and ride it around in a fancy hotel.

Team Rival: The Edmonton Eskimos are about two hours away and people in those cities hate each other. The fans really get into the Battle of Alberta games, which I guess carries over to import players getting fired up whenever they play each other. That’s just a guess though, but I’m betting the average American knows almost nothing about Edmonton or Calgary before showing up for their CFL tryout, but they play along really well.

Saskatchewan Roughriders (2012: 8-10, third in West – lost in West Semi-Final)

Overview: The Riders started last year quite strong, lost a few close games early, seemingly bounced back with a huge lopsided win in the middle of the season and then the wheels fell off in the last month of play. All in all, they probably underperformed a little bit in the standings, but still were three wins ahead of where they were in 2011. They should at least hit .500 this season and will hope to do a whole lot better as they are hosting the Grey Cup. That said, their quarterback (Darian Durant) has been known to give up the ball in interesting and inventive ways in the past, which hurts the team. If he sneaks in some Stick’em and if favourite targets Weston Dressler and Chris Getzlaf stay healthy, they’ll stay a solid team. They can make a somewhat legitimate claim as Canada’s team because people leave Saskatchewan in droves so you will always find Rider fans in other CFL stadiums, even in games where Saskatchewan isn’t playing.

Reasons to Cheer: It’s hard not to get caught up in the excitement of cheering for the Riders if you happen to be around other Rider fans. They are really all the province of Saskatchewan has going for it, and their fandom rivals the zealotry usually reserved for religion. And since they are hosting the Grey Cup this year, they’ll probably pull out all the stops to try to get there.

Fellow Fans: Everyone in Saskatchewan

Seriously, the place is nuts for these guys, which is weird considering the team is historically pretty awful. The guy pictured, The Flame, is a good example of the craziness associated with the Riders. He loves the team so much he broke from the tradition of putting a watermelon on his head and instead built a device to shoot fire out of his head. The league banned him from doing that inside stadiums after he burned a kid, so he has a siren now, but still does the fire thing for special occasions.

Team Rival: The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are the rivals for the Green Riders, which means the Winnipeg team hops on a bus to Regina every Labour Day to get their asses handed to them. I think some Rider faithful secretly felt a little bad when they pounded the Bombers 52-0 last year, but they are still willing to lord it over everyone from Winnipeg every chance they get.

Edmonton Eskimos (2012: 7-11, fourth in West – lost in East Semi-Final)

Overview: Once the mightiest franchise in the league, the Esks have recently fallen on some hard times. Where there was once a 34 year streak of making the playoffs, now they rely on teams in the other half of the league being so bad that they’re given the playoff spot just so there is some smattering of post-season competition. A lot of their problems stem from not having a quarterback, a problem that wouldn’t have been a problem had the team held onto Ricky Ray. But last year the GM traded away the future Hall of Famer for magic beans and so they now suffer. That said, they have pretty much everything else in place with a monster receiving threat in Fred Stamps (though everyone else is a bit tepid) a solid running back in Hugh Charles and the best all around defensive player in JC Sherritt. A kid named Matt Reilly will get the start at QB for the first while, but if he struggles then the Esks will trot out the corpse of Kerry Joseph to see what he can do. He’s one of four Ottawa Renegades still active in the league, and at this point probably the least desirable of any of them still playing. And some not still playing, but Obby Kahn is busy running a shawarma restaurant.

Reasons to Cheer: The Eskimos have a sliver of hope at being really good this year. If Matt Reilly turns out to be even slightly better than average, they could be a force. If not... there’s still some chance to make the playoffs in a crossover. So they’re a good underdog team, if that’s your thing.

Fellow Fans: Eskinator and True42

Like every other team, Edmonton has some fans who bleat out disparaging remarks to opposing teams, but that’s not what Eskinator and his wife, True42, are all about. Eskinator once said it upset him that people say “this player/that team suck”’ because he really thinks everyone should just enjoy the game. They’re so awesome, the Grey Cup just spontaneously showed up at their house one day.

Team Rival: The Calgary Stampeders, by virtue of being just down the highway, are Edmonton’s main rival. Historically Edmonton is the far more successful of the two. For instance, the Stampeders have won a total of six Grey Cups. The Eskimos once won six over a period of eight years. Esks fans also delight in Fred Stamps having a big game against Calgary so they can say “Stamps Stamps Stamps”.

East Division

Montreal Alouettes (2012: 11-7, first in the East – lost in East Final)

Overview: A perennial contender since coming back to the league, the Montreal Alouettes owe a lot of their success to their quarterback, Anthony Calvillo. He started playing in the CFL back in 1994, which gives him "veteran presence" or whatever. He's just really good at the football game. That said, a lot of the coaching is different this year, but they're unlikely to finish worse than second in the East no matter what. S.J. Green and Jamel Richardson are human highlight reels at the slotback position and Montreal picked up Arland Bruce, who’s getting old but is still something of a threat. They don’t have a great running back, but that doesn’t much matter as Calvillo will routinely throw for more than 5,000 yards in a season. That’s all helped out buy their offensive line, where three of the five guys are CFL all-stars.

Reasons to Cheer: It is fun to watch the air attack on the great big CFL field, so that is reason enough to tune in and cheer for the Als. With it comes a good chance of seeing them win every week. Plus it's hard to dislike a guy like Calvillo. Also, if French is your thing, they've got it in spades.

Fellow Fans: People from Baltimore

The Als haven't been around quite as long as the other teams, and so they don't seem to have developed any quirky fans like other clubs. That said, the Als (currently) exist because the Baltimore franchise left the U.S. and there are still some loyal faithful from those days left who still come up to watch the Grey Cup every year.

Team Rival: The B.C. Lions because all the other teams already had a rival. That said, it seems no matter how good a team Montreal has and no matter how bad the Lions are in any given year, the Als always play really poorly when they head to B.C. This rivalry should switch to Ottawa next year.

Toronto Argonauts (2012: 9-9, second in West – Won the Grey Cup)

Overview: The team is in Canada's largest city yet probably has the fewest fans. They are also the defending Grey Cup champions, and still the average person in Toronto doesn't care. But they have a really good team with huge offensive threats. They have a top-three player at QB (Ricky Ray), RB (Chad Kackert) and receiver (Chad Owens). The current owners are good, but the team has had some abysmal ownership problems in the past with Sherwood Schwartz (the Gilligan’s Island guy) practically running the team into the ground and known fraudster Bruce McNall also trying his best to destroy the financial stability of the franchise (and league). Somehow the team manages to survive and occasionally thrive, and they’re in the middle of a “thrive” period. Bonus fact that most CFL fans don’t know: the Argos were mentioned in the movie BASEketball.

Reasons to Cheer: They're a good choice if you like the colour blue or enjoy backing a winner. And I think everyone can agree it is really satisfying to scream "ARRRRRR-goooooos!"

Fellow Fans: Argonotes

A collection of about 50 people that mostly play instruments and aren't completely terrible at it. They tootle their trumpets and trombones in section 125 of the SkyDome and bring their racket on the road, and that much enthusiasm helps make up for the general apathy towards the Argos in Toronto.

Team Rival: The Hamilton Tiger Cats because the cities are rather close to each other. There's a bit of a class-warfare thing there too, as Hamilton is a very blue-collar kind of town and Toronto is characterized as being all about investment banking. I don't think Toronto does as much to hold up its end of the rivalry as Hamilton would like.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers (2012: 6-12, tie for third in west – missed playoffs)

Overview: Tied for the worst team in the league last year and they didn't do a whole lot in the off-season to make anyone think that might change this year. They have some chance of getting out of the basement if their quarterback Buck Pierce stays healthy. But even at his best, he’s only a mid-tier CFL pivot. Running back Chad Simpson had the best average gain from scrimmage in 2012 (6.0 yards per carry) but the team under-uses him in some games for reasons that aren’t quite clear. Special teams are really good though, Justin Palardy put together a solid season as a place kicker, the best ever recorded by a Bomber. The defence that kept them in a lot of games over the past few seasons (especially 2011 where they inexplicably made it to the Grey Cup) is quite different now and probably not as good... hey everyone, look at the new stadium!

Reasons to Cheer: They're a good choice if you like complaining about the state of your team or if you know a dyed-in-the-wool Saskatchewan fan and just want to get under his or her skin.

Fellow Fans: The Transcona Terrorists

They are generally drunk all the time, which generally distracts them from noticing that the on-field talent isn't very good. They're also notable for being about the only Bomber fans that don't routinely wear a "Stegall #85" jersey.

Team Rival: The Saskatchewan Roughriders because both teams tend to mire in mediocrity on the prairies. Saskatchewan has been more successful for much of the past decade, including a Grey Cup win over the Bombers in 2007. The only real achievement against the Riders during that time is some name-calling that spawned an unofficial "important game" in the middle of the season called the Banjo Bowl.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats (2012: 6-12, tie for third in west – missed playoffs)

Overview: The Ti-Cats are coming off a bizarre season. On offence, they put up massive numbers. Henry Burris threw for a league-leading 5,367 yards and had 43 TDs. On special teams, Chris Williams made a lot of teams look like pylons as he set a CFL record for kick return touchdowns. The offence and special teams combined to score more points than any other CFL team that year, but they only won a third of their games thanks to a putrid defence that also allowed the most points scored of any team. But since five of those losses were by a field goal or less, they’ve brought in a new (and successful) coach and since they defence has been massively overhauled, there’s reason to think Hamilton is heading somewhere even though Chris Williams is holding out on the team (he reportedly makes less than $50,000 Canadian). Or they may fall apart as their three running backs are all essentially rookies as is much of their receiving corps. Andy Fantuz is the only one with more than two full seasons of play and he’s solid, but probably wouldn’t be on anyone’s roster if his passport wasn’t Canadian. This year the Hamilton Tiger-Cats won’t play a single game in Hamilton, as their stadium is being rebuilt so they will instead play in a nearby city called Guelph.

Reasons to Cheer: Much like the Stampeders, this is a boom or bust team. They probably have a better chance of busting than Calgary, but they looked good in the pre-season so there’s reason for some optimism. A good pick if you want to get in early on a bandwagon and don’t mind the chance that you might have to box up all your new team gear in early August because the team stinks worse than the city from which they come.

Fellow Fans: The Box J Boy

These kilt wearing men always seem to be having a good time, even though Hamilton is generally pretty crappy. They are loud and rowdy, don’t spell all that well, weren’t with it enough to reserve hotel rooms for the Grey Cup this year, and they seem unable to keep their website up and running. But they get out to the games and support the team, and that’s what really matters.

Team Rival: The Toronto Argonauts are already a little unpopular with most Canadians by virtue of being from the nation’s largest city; things go nuts when Ti-Cat fans get the Argos in their crosshairs. “Argos Suck!” is such a common cheer that at one point the team owner thought it was a little out of hand and tried to discourage it. It didn’t work because the hatred runs so deep in Hamilton that they even remind the Argos that they suck when Toronto isn’t even involved in the game.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at Jun 28, 2013 around 20:32

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Last year there was a series of pretty good documentaries about the league for its 100th anniversary. The best one was probably The 13th Man, documenting how insane Saskatchewan fans are, and a hilarious Grey Cup ending for non-Rider fans. For Americans wanting a taste of CFL football history, it's a great place to start.

http://www.tsn.ca/greycup/#13thman

MassaShowtime
Aug 16, 2012

Saviour, thy name is Knuckle

Make sure to have watermelon helmet to wear or you're not a true Green Rider fan.

Atomic Spud
Jun 24, 2013

Never been a CFL fan, but I am gonna try to get into it this year. Being a big Bengals fan in the NFL, and living in a city named Hamilton, rooting for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats seems easy enough. Anything else I should know besides being supposed to hate Toronto?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Don't expect much out of them. They're the Cleveland Browns of the CFL

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins

GuavaMoment posted:

Last year there was a series of pretty good documentaries about the league for its 100th anniversary. The best one was probably The 13th Man, documenting how insane Saskatchewan fans are, and a hilarious Grey Cup ending for non-Rider fans. For Americans wanting a taste of CFL football history, it's a great place to start.

http://www.tsn.ca/greycup/#13thman

The best part of that one was the nuns that skip prayer so they can finish watching the Rider games,

mindofme
May 19, 2003

Learn trispace and never have to think about math again!

I'm not sure. The Riders themed funeral was a thing.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

I like the idea of the argo-notes. There's something earnest and positive about it.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

any Americans looking to jump on the Rider bandwagon might get sent an assortment of weird Rider poo poo you can buy in the city, including Geroys Super Cream and Onion Chips

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

all the pretty whoreses

"part of an incomplete breakfast" as we say here

yeah we're strange ducks

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

sweet thursday posted:

yeah we're strange ducks

This has sealed it. Ridin' to the death now.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

sweet thursday posted:

yeah we're strange ducks

I found a box of "Fantuz Flakes" in my girlfriend's basement and suddenly this all makes sense now

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

sweet thursday posted:

yeah we're strange ducks

How did I not know All Dressler chips existed. I need a bag. I will also now refer to all dressed chips as All Dressler.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

sweet thursday posted:

yeah we're strange ducks

A few months ago at our local Co-op gas bar I took a photo (and then deleted because I'm loving stupid) of some bags of "Buck's BBQ Chips."

The chips were next to boxes that said "Fragile."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 15, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Antifreeze Head posted:

Hey all you non CFL regulars! Here’s a guide if you’re looking for some background info when you’re deciding on a team to cheer for this year.

Calgary Stampeders (2012: 12-6, second in west – lost in Grey Cup)

Overview: The general consensus was the Stampeders didn't have much place being in the Grey Cup last year, and it wasn’t much of a surprise that they lost. This year they are again kinda middle of the road. They have a good running back in Jon Cornish to be sure, but there are serious questions at quarterback. Drew Tate missed most of last season and is still considered a bit unproven, Kevin Glenn is just old. Whomever the Stamps go with, they can't just throw to Nik Lewis all the time but there really isn't any standout second guy in that receiving corps. Their defence did get a boost with Jonathan Hefney being picked up after he was cast off from the Blue Bombers, and maybe that will help with downfield coverage a bit so their defence can improve from being the league-worst in sacks in 2012.

Reason to Cheer: It's a good season to cheer for the Stamps if you like drama in your football games and team. They'll likely play a lot of close ones and make the playoffs, all in spite of a QB controversy that will probably start in week 2. Longer odds than some to take it all, but you’ll get enough ups and downs to cover the cost of admission.

I don't think I agree with this at all. Sure last year the Lions were the favourites to go to the Grey Cup but it's not like the Stamps limped in and had the stars align for a lucky streak. Glenn (as mediocre as he is) was only 11 passing yards and 2 TD's behind Lulay, Cornish went bananas last year and won the rushing title by quite a bit. Tate does have some durability concerns but I don't know if he's still unproven, he just needs to show that he's can stay healthy for an entire season. They don't have many household names anymore in the receiving corps but as far as the CFL goes I think they are still a solid group (Lewis was the only receiver last year to have 100+ catches). I have no idea why you think there will be a QB controversy, literally no one will want Glenn to start over Tate unless Tate takes a gigantic poo poo all over the field through half a season, hell even if he does people will probably want to see Bo Levi Mitchell before Glenn.

I do agree that their defence is not great, but hopefully Hefney helps the DB's not consistently get beat deep.

I mean the Lions probably still have more talent but to say the Stampeders are long shots is going a bit far.

«6 »