Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

nm posted:

Fun thing I love telling furriners about LA.
The borders of the "greater LA area" are basically Banning and Ventura. Those are 150 miles apart by car.
I had a job for a while that occasionally had me covering sites between SD and Ventura.

101/405. :suicide:

(To be fair, it was mostly between Woodland Hills and Santa Ana.)

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

I had a job for a while that occasionally had me covering sites between SD and Ventura.

I'm still not sure if Woodland Hills is all LA county or if its half LA county, half Ventura County.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RandomPauI posted:

I'm still not sure if Woodland Hills is all LA county or if its half LA county, half Ventura County.

No one really knows. It's just Woodland Hills.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
If calabasasasass is in LA then Woodland Hills is in LA. I always figure TO is the first bastion of venturaness. (Even though I think Hidden Valley technically is? Ive never once stopped there..

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Possibly. I don't think most people in Ventura County have even heard of Hidden Valley. I stumbled upon it's existence in Wikipedia years ago as a place that people filmed animals. Let's see what google can turn up.

A few hundred people live there. It's got a trail. And horses. And a lesbian issues therapist. A lieutenant governor lived there 21 years ago. Celebrities own stuff there. No yelp reviews for anything in it's zip code.

It almost sounds like the gated community version of a town. If you have a house there you're loaded, and if you want to do anything you have to leave your protected sanctuary to deal with the huddled masses.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

It almost sounds like the gated community version of a town. If you have a house there you're loaded, and if you want to do anything you have to leave your protected sanctuary to deal with the huddled masses.
If you consider next-door Calabasas to be "the huddled masses".

:20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Uuuugh. My job had me going from Torrance to San Diego the other day, and I had to drop off a coworker in downtown LA before I headed back to torrance. Think I spent six hours on the 5. At least it's not a regular thing. Usually I'm only going from Torrance to Pedro and back.

E: so gently caress that stretch through Pendleton forever.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

E: so gently caress that stretch through Pendleton forever.

That checkpoint clearly worth wasting people's 15 minutes times the tens of thousands of people who drive through it daily. We have to be protected from the drugs that get into LA anyway and people want, as well as undocumented immigrants doing the jobs that Americans don't want to do. I've never met a border patrol official, but I assume they're all simply deluded at best, actual dumbest Americans at worst.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
What's the the most fun area of SD if you want to make staying near a beach for lounging a priority, or is it cool to just pick some water and stay near it

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Veskit posted:

What's the the most fun area of SD if you want to make staying near a beach for lounging a priority, or is it cool to just pick some water and stay near it

You can go wherever. Here's a handy guide from south to north:

Imperial Beach - pollution
Ocean Beach - hippies/drugs
Pacific Beach - college kids/tourists
Coronado - rich folks
La Jolla - fog, rich folks
Del Mar/Solana Beach - rich folks, limited parking. Good beach, this one is where I usually go.
Leucadia/Encinitas - limited beach access, but ok. Rich folks.
Carlsbad - tourists, rich folks.
Oceanside - military people

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 19, 2016

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Glass of Milk posted:

Coronado - rich folks constantly pissed off with military people running up and down their beaches in their ugly yellow/blue PT gear.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Navy NI has its own private beach too, the dudes running along that hwy are seals in BUDS

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

JacksLibido posted:

Navy NI has its own private beach too, the dudes running along that hwy are seals in BUDS

North Island does. The SEAL/BUDs/SWIC guys have their own beach too technically (complete with paintball course) but NAB Coronado does not and they made us run along the civilian beach and then back down the strand, and many people from NI would jog through the downtown shopping area for the hell of it because the back gate with the golf course is close by. The civilians hated it which always amused me to no end, even going so far as trying to get the military to fund a tunnel to the island to relieve the traffic over the bridge when ships pulled in because there are so many military people everywhere ruining their resort town.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
You forgot to include "drugs, sketchy people" for Oceanside.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I had some beer in Oceanside, wasn't bad. Then another time I went to Irvine and it was happy hour so beer was as cheap as $5.50. What a country.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
A few real cool brewpubs have opened up on the coast highway in Oceanside so it's getting better slowly. Oceanside is the western terminus of the 78 and the Sprinter light rail so you get a lot of weirdos from east/inland cities hanging around in the summer.

I had an exceptionally disheveled and intoxicated middle aged lady ask to borrow my phone at a gas station last weekend and that was confirmation that summer was officially here.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

You should check your contacts, she may have put her number in there.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I said no and drove off but thank you for your advice.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Barrell Republic was good for beer. Pour your own. Food was awful.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chinatown posted:

A few real cool brewpubs have opened up on the coast highway in Oceanside so it's getting better slowly. Oceanside is the western terminus of the 78 and the Sprinter light rail so you get a lot of weirdos from east/inland cities hanging around in the summer.

I had an exceptionally disheveled and intoxicated middle aged lady ask to borrow my phone at a gas station last weekend and that was confirmation that summer was officially here.

Can confirm that all the skeevies from San Bernardino ride the metrolink to the end of the line at Oceanside on the summer weekends.

$10 weekend pass is mighty temping.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Chinatown posted:

I like the Kali Kush at Breakwater.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Veskit posted:

Mission Beach? You can rent a house along the beach and lounge all you want. It's touristy as hell but not that bad. Windansea is my personal go-to.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Can confirm that all the skeevies from San Bernardino ride the metrolink to the end of the line at Oceanside on the summer weekends.

$10 weekend pass is mighty temping.

It goes all the way to Santa Monica now, weeeee heeee heeeee

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

keevo posted:

Mission Beach? You can rent a house along the beach and lounge all you want. It's touristy as hell but not that bad. Windansea is my personal go-to.

Windansea is nice but fuuuuuuck La Jolla.

Disclaimer: I went to HS in La Jolla.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Fletcher cove is usually alright. There's a decent, free parking lot nearby and not as many people crowding the beach.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This Blue Cut fire is getting pretty bad.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

This Blue Cut fire is getting pretty bad.

This is what I saw flying into Orange County yesterday at like 2:00

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
VV south of Bear Valley and west of 15 is under mandatory evacuation. That's a lot of loving people.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

nm posted:

VV south of Bear Valley and west of 15 is under mandatory evacuation. That's a lot of loving people.

When I checked last night it was up to 82,000 people but I haven't seen a new number yet today.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They lifted evacuations in south Hesperia and areas east of I-15 I believe.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I got a speeding ticket once.. I'm glad to see a few hundred dollars of that ticket go to fire fighting.

Edit: this is unironic.

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 23, 2016

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Space-Bird posted:

I got a speeding ticket once.. I'm glad to see a few hundred dollars of that ticket go to fire fighting.

Edit: this is unironic.

I gave CHP a $200 Christmas present a couple years ago in the form of a ticket...for jaywalking at a deserted SOMA intersection at 11am :v:

I can only hope some part of it went to things like firefighting!

Signed, someone who was still noting fire scars the last time he went up Mt Diablo, and who is wondering real hard about how the Soberanes fire will affect his Monterey/Big Sur vacation in November. (Though since not really going into Big Sur...probably just slightly less pretty hillsides viewed from 1 or 101 on trips south.)

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

420 get a speeding ticket from a plane monitoring traffic while driving up/down the 101 everyday

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I've seen those signs all my life and never heard of an aircraft actually enforcing the speed limit.

Speaking of those "Radar Enforced" signs you normally see under "Speed Limit" signs, we have one here in SLO that's under a "City Limit" sign. I guess they use radar to make sure the city doesn't get away?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i refuse to believe those planes actually exist

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So I live in some suburban wasteland known as Mission Viejo and I'm walking my dog last night and a dude with shaved head, Dodgers tattoos on the side of his head, wearing a black wifebeater is sitting on his front yard in a camp chair drinking a 40. Everything is getting all Santa Ana around here.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Chinatown posted:

i refuse to believe those planes actually exist

I got a ticket from one when I was 16. On the 101 too!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FogHelmut posted:

Everything is getting all Santa Ana around here.
That's more San Fernando.

Now if the guy had been flying the proud colors of the Raider Nation, then you'd be on to something.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

tranten posted:

I got a ticket from one when I was 16. On the 101 too!

If you're not loving around, did they mail it to your house? Did you get pulled over by the airplane North By Northwest style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

So I live in some suburban wasteland known as Mission Viejo and I'm walking my dog last night and a dude with shaved head, Dodgers tattoos on the side of his head, wearing a black wifebeater is sitting on his front yard in a camp chair drinking a 40. Everything is getting all Santa Ana around here.

sounds like my kinda place. doing the same thing minus the tats and shaved heads (swapping a plastic adirondack for the camp chair) right now.

• Locked thread