Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Classic Twisty posted:

What's so great about California

The completely ridiculous sense of superiority native Californians have about the state despite never leaving it for more than trips to Vegas or the Grand Canyon.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Well, I just got an email saying that thanks to a 5% increase in the UC system's budget for 2013-2014, I probably won't see a tuition hike. Thanks, Governor! :tipshat:

Does that mean they'll increase TA appointments again? No? They'll still fight our union tooth-and-nail and deny grad student researchers bargaining represenation? Welp, enjoy your grouchy TA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

agarjogger posted:

Are the nice things I hear about this place private propaganda put out by creative types?

Considering that California has a long tradition in film, TV, and advertising, I'd say yes.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

he was like damn.
Also, Anaheim was literally run by the KKK in the 1920s and many places in Orange County are named after long dead Klan members.

SporkOfTruth fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 29, 2013

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

he was like damn.

Bizarro Watt posted:

"Militarized repression of free speech"? My union kinda annoys me sometimes. Although I don't like the Napolitano pick on the surface, either.

Come on, our union reps have always been the more radical types, particularly after the last big leadership election where the less radical elements got thrown out for being ineffective and lovely negotiators. I'll take the rhetoric if it means they'll stick it to the Regents and the UCOP during the bargaining.

Napolitano is a completely awful pick, but not just for her really ignorant policy position. It's more that she's completely god-drat clueless on how to run a university with a single campus, much less a system with ten. Look at how crappy Yudof -- a fairly experienced academic administrator -- was with the push to privatization; I doubt Napolitano will be much better.

One other thing: In listening to Slate's Political Gabfest in the past month or so, it seems our fair system has been ADVERTISING itself. Is it just me, or does it seem incredibly cynical for UC to be doing ad buys on wankfests for the pundit class when they can barely pay their graduate students and can't stop hiking fees every year? Touting "innovation" and such when it's become blatantly apparent that only the Favored Few campuses are being encouraged to survive is incredibly disgusting.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

he was like damn.

Willa Rogers posted:

Are you sure the ads aren't targeted to out-of-state students? I remember reading a couple years ago that UC had upped its OOS acceptance rate from 10 percent to 20 percent in a strategic move for budget purposes.

Since I doubt that out-of-state students listen to Slate's podcast lineup, I'd be willing to bet that it's meant more for business people (& possibly parents of out-of-state students) and certain federal funding agency employees and their ilk in a bid for funding.

Of course, I'm sure they'd love to accept more out-of-state people if it means fat stacks of cash from tuition. (This is the point of my post where I fess up to getting my CA residency via a loophole to get lower fees, but don't worry, working in the Knowledge Mines of graduate school has made up the difference.)

e:

I'm not sure what you're insinuating about LLNL, because not everything they do is for pew-pew MIC purposes. That said, ding ding ding, I think we've found the ad targets!

SporkOfTruth fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 18, 2013

• Locked thread