Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
:ca:

I'm assuming that Kamala Harris may be more likely to run for governor when she feels good and ready, which doesn't bother me since I'd probably vote for her. The more likely future candidate for a position on SCOTUS would probably be Goodwin Liu, rather than Harris, now that he's on the CA Supreme Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
I remember when Brown came to my university to give a speech in favor of the tax proposition and at the start he spent a couple minutes talking about being fascinated by the redwood trees on campus. I like the guy, but by all accounts (including friends of mine who have sat in on meetings with him) he is an odd man.

He also challenged Chris Christie to an athletic contest. :laffo:

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Would Liu stand a chance of getting confirmed though? Some Democratic senators were squeamish about him even back in 2011

Oh I don't know, I was just speaking of his chances relative to Harris. I doubt he's on Obama's mind for replacing Ginsburg when she retires, which means we'd have to wait until someone like Scalia croaks, in which case it would take enormous brass balls to nominate Liu as his successor.

Play posted:

Anyways hope you liked my story.
I think I briefly met your mom at an award ceremony. :v:

Although it is nice that California feels like it's at least somewhat back on the right track again.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

foot posted:

Not north of Los Angeles County it isn't.

People from Los Angeles like to tell themselves this, at least.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

Zeitgueist posted:

Someone posted this over in the picture thread.

Good to see Gilroy getting attention for something besides garlic, I suppose. In my dreams, I'd like to have a high-speed rail line that goes up and down the coast.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah the coast is beautiful, but that would pretty much be Rich People Express. Though Amtrak already does that route at non-high speeds.

Yeah, I know it'd never happen and it wouldn't be particularly useful anyway, I just think it'd be a nice ride.

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm pretty sure Gilroy gets a stop purely because they are using existing Caltrain right of way.

You know, I probably should have figured that.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

"Militarized repression of free speech"? My union kinda annoys me sometimes. Although I don't like the Napolitano pick on the surface, either.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

On the one hand, yeah, seems kind of over-the-top. On the other hand...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdDLhPwpp4

To be fair, they did fire him after that... after 8 months of "paid administrative leave," a.k.a. what anyone else would call "paid vacation."

It is over the top wording. I'm aware of the UC Davis incident (What UC student isn't?) but it wasn't an example of encroaching militarized repression of free speech, as abhorrent as it was. The other poster who replied to me had a point though, that as long as our union keeps its focus on where it counts (the bargaining with UC administration) they can keep with their rhetoric. I just find it kind of eye-roll inducing sometimes.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

pokie posted:

I am sure my accent wouldn't give me away :v:. I think this the first time I've heard anyone complain about this term in 10+ years I lived here though.

Say Cali all you want, I couldn't possibly care less.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

As far as I'm concerned, "the" never goes in front of the names of freeways, highways, and interstates.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Well, we can either have a Jets/Sharks style musical gang fight to decide who's right or we can drop the dumbest derail ever over the use of "the" before highway names.

The food derails are better than this.

e: VVV Where else? How about here - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032518

It's just a funny discrepancy between how people from different parts of California speak, nobody is really being serious. The whole subject of the California accent/dialect is a funny one in and of itself, too: http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/august/california-dialect-linguistics-080612.html

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Whaaat? Demonstrators deliberately hurt by riot cops sounds like some repression to me.
I take issue with saying that Yudof's tenure as the UC President was characterized by militarized repression. It's a purely semantics thing and it's not like I approved of the job he did either though, so it's probably not worth pursuing.

Bizarro Watt fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 20, 2013

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

Brown's idea with expanding private prisons in the state sounds pretty abhorrent. To think I was actually considering voting for him again, too.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I really don't understand why there isn't a state-run pension fund. It would have to get me better return than my terrible 401k (15 years at 3.8%! Whoopty loving doo!) and I would absolutely pay into it rather than the goddamn STOCK MARKET.

There was a push recently in the state legislature to create a state-run pension plan for people in the private sector, but I don't think anything came of it, which is too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

So I've found myself going for a PhD in Texas and after being born and raised in California, I miss the state a lot right now. At least rent is cheap out here, I guess.

• Locked thread