Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Whenever I see Gavin Newsom on tv I keep waiting for him to say "Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money... or cocaine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ardennes posted:

The continual shame is how many good things in California are just pissed way through racism, classism and terrible leadership. I don't think Brown is actually that good, but for the abysmal state of Californian politics he is probably the best governor in recent memory (he is only mediocre rather than laughably terrible or evil).

poo poo, he's pretty much the only halfway decent one since his dad. God, from Pete Wilson to Ahnuld there was 20 straight years of just absolutely awful governors.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rah! posted:

It's funny how you think authentic Mexican food is wrong. And yes they do look fantastic, but only to non-crazy people.

Needs some radish slices.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

Gavin Newsom, is he a PC charlatan as Adam Carolla states? Or is he something else entirely?

He was really good as GOB on Arrested Development.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

I remember hearing something about firefighter's pensions being based on their last 2-3 years of work, so oftentimes they'll work crazy amounts of overtime in those last couple years to ensure their pension is amazing.

That's very common for public sector pensions. Both my parents make way more on their pensions (nowhere near 14k/month though) than they did over 40+ years each as state and county employees because of longevity pay ramping up the last few years they worked. Well-managed pension funds (always a big if) can easily handle being that generous, and really the vast majority of pensions are much lower than 14k/month.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

redscare posted:

Yeah and I agreed on having a certain amount of money be paid to me, but when the economy took a poo poo, I had to deal with making less money for a while. Why exactly should those of us in the private sector be liable for 100% of some guys's pension that was promised decades before every job that supported it was shipped to China even as our 401ks eat poo poo sandwiches and the city/county/state collapses around us because there's no money left for anything else?

CalPERS, like most public pension systems is primarily funded through investment income and interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

I think there will be less of this if only because there are constraints now that didn't exist 30 years ago (most notably fuel prices).

30 years ago (31 technically) the nationwide annual average peaked at 2.68/gallon accounting for inflation, and it didn't get that high again until 7 years ago

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/facts/2012_fotw741.html

• Locked thread