Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's really too bad to listen to the debate. Even members of other unions are calling in to say that they got hosed, so BART employees should get hosed too. There's no way the union can win here with a traditional strike. Unless they implement an illegal fare strike, it feels like BART is going to absolutely roll the union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trabisnikof posted:

Why don't you found a startup and get a few hundred million in VC to develop an App that does that if you care so much.

Thank God Valleywag is back in business.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

So what? Let them secede and see what life is really like without aid from the California government.

Eh, they'd just strip-mine their natural resources and parcel it out to the highest bidder to avoid footing the higher tax bills they'd face. The county that would come back would be a barren, hollowed-out ecological disaster area that was even more bitter and dependent on people who aren't loving insane.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Keyser S0ze posted:

all the salaries plus OT by Emp are in the report I linked on the last page. You can drill through everything.....and there is a lot of OT obviously because of low staffing levels.

http://enjalot.github.io/bart/#content

under "How Much Do BART Employees Earn?" click a bubble (it's a person), orange are union emps

It bothers me that this defaults to "total cost per employee," when absolutely no one ever thinks in terms of that. Switch it to "base salary" to start.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ProfessorCirno posted:

From what I'm gathering, the guy driving the train was a trainee despite claims that they were experience, and the train was going faster then was reported - indeed, faster then is considered safe period, especially with where on the track it was (right next to a station). There's also been a lot of notes about BART not having the bare minimum needed to ensure safety.

I imagine management wants to shut this down fast, as details about the accident would only make them look way worse. I'm guessing they want to avoid NTSB nailing them to the wall mid-strike, because they are getting hit hard already from what I'm reading.

It's been maddening trying to find ANY details about this goddamn strike. Everything is just one line about the update with 10 paragraphs of human interest bullshit. Did the union get rolled? Did they roll management? Did the tragedy on the track spur both sides to end the strike quickly? It'd be great if someone, somewhere, reported on the specifics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

withak posted:

IIRC there has been some kind of gag order in place since the start of negotiations and neither side is supposed to be talking about specifics until everything is signed and approved.

Odds are that management wanted this sewn up before worker-safety horror stories start to leak from the NTSB.

Ahh, that may partially excuse the coverage then. For instance, on Facebook the other day, someone put up some union bashing statement along the lines of "they union is striking because they want to use fax instead of email for scheduling." I know there had to more to it than that, but I couldn't find anything that got into the details of the negotiations, or even the issues really. All I could find were articles that mentioned "work rules" in passing, then went on play he-said/she-said quote games.

• Locked thread