Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Classic Twisty posted:

What's so great about California

The mountains, the trees, the bums on their knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ardennes posted:

I wish the lack of winters in SoCal, but every time I visit the traffic reminds me how much living in LA sucks. It is really nice to live in a city with a functional transportation system, even Chicago is more livablet from that perspective. LA just needs to bite the bullet at some point and spend the billions it is going to take to make the city livable.

Besides that as a state California is still up there, and despite it's deep red hold out, there is a vast expanse of far shitter more conservative states out there with worse weather and far less to see. If anything California could be so much better than it is if it better leadership.

Los Angeles is absolutely spending money to expand public transit faster than any other city in the county. The city is just huge and started way behind.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Thats the thing, it is a drop in the bucket compared to the money they need spending. LA has a nice tidy system that only serves a fraction of the population.

A ton of people ride the buses, just not white people.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

Another interesting choice in LA rail design is the Green line, which runs down the center of the 105 freeway to LAX airport. Or rather, near LAX airport. It stops about 100 yards from the property but does not go in. You have to switch to a bus for the rest of the trip, despite the fact that there is literally a turn-off built into the track for an LAX connection. Mysteriously, nobody with the City can quite explain why this connection never got built. We're also building a north-south Train along Crenshaw that will come just as close to the airport, but also not enter. As far as I'm aware, LA is the only city in the US with a light rail system that doesn't connect it to the airport.

LAX Bus "G" which runs from the Aviation Green line stop to the airport is actually really great and probably works as well as any rail connector would.

Also once the Crenshaw rail line is built then they'll probably have to put in a rail connector to LAX.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

One of the best zoos in the world, as well as exciting close-up views of Nature's unsung masterpiece, the firestorm.

Pfff, every city in California is a cigarette butt away from a massive conflagration for about half the year.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

John Nance Garner posted:

Well it appears the stay of Prop 8 has been lifted--allowing homosexuals to be married immediately.

Pride in SF tomorrow is gonna be bananas.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Best Friends posted:

People keep talking about "growing crops in the desert" or whatever but only a small part of the Central Valley is even vaguely arid.

Chico gets 26 inches of rain a year, Sacremento gets 18, Fresno gets 11 and Bakersfield gets 6. Chico is the only one that doesn't classify as a desert and it's in the foothills of the mountains.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Pretty much explains itself in a lot of circumstances. "Oakland." Best thing about Oakland: Its near Berkeley. Next best thing: its cheaper than Berkeley. Funniest thing: the Whole Foods hovering on the edge to save on rent but still get Berkeley shoppers. (Ok its not the funniest, but still.)

North Oakland neighborhoods are a lot fancier than south Berkeley neighborhoods.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Miss-Bomarc posted:

If you want to travel from a point in the tourist district of San Francisco to a point on the outskirts of LA, and you want to do something that takes twice as long as flying, then high-speed rail is a good choice for you.

The "tourist district" in SF also happens to be the financial district and the "outskirts of LA" happens to be about a quarter mile from downtown LA and the heart of the cities transit hub.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

I always thought a UC for prisoners would be an amazing or terrible idea. It would probably cost less.

It's why San Quentin is by far the best prison to spend your time. It's cold, decrepit and full of gang violence but it has pretty fantastic prison educational and arts programs because it's in the Bay Area. There is also a program for inmates to study for university degrees while in prison and it's the only prison in the state that offers it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

Most big US cities with metro don't offer operating hours like NYC, even other big cities such as Chicago send off the last train around 1AM.

Chicago Red and Blue lines run 24 hours. Even LA metro runs trains until 2 AM on Fridays and Saturdays. Running trains late on weekends really is such a simple step to increase public safety.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kyrie eleison posted:

All of the strikers should be fired for holding the public hostage.

You're the shittiest Catholic.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Well LA Weekly is probably number 1.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

gently caress the San Fran Chronicle for endorsing Fiorina in 2010 :fuckoff:

They did put this together which was classic.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

He's absolutely correct that he is entitled to due process. It makes me uncomfortable that people's default stance is to assume that he actually sexually harassed those women. What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

You don't need use the bar for legal guilt in evaluating your local scumbag.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Don't say Cali.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Very occasionally you'll hear a radio announcer in the SF area refer to a highway by a proper name, like "the Nimitz Freeway" for I-880.

That's very Chicago of them.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Having lived in both the Bay Area is nice but it's inhabited by the up tightest people possible.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

Yeah it's really interesting to look at unemployment tables for the whole states, places in Central valley are 14%-20% unemployment:
Find you county here http://www.calmis.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/countyur-400c.pdf

That's almost as ironic as the Baltimore benches.

etalian posted:

Nothing says recovery like another cycle of real estate speculation.

It's going to be a dead cat bubble.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Casual Yogurt posted:

Is there anywhere in the bay worth living as a young person besides SF/Oakland? As a mid 20s hipster the only options I see: Crazy expensive rent for 10 sq feet in SF, or dodging bullets in Oakland.

Anywhere north of 580 in Oakland is relatively safe. Also Berkeley is fine to live in as well as many areas in the south bay.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

Speaking of which, has anyone gone back to the parkway ever since they re-opened?

*edit* apparently the new parkway's NOT in the old parkway theater location!

New Parkway is nice.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Geared Hub posted:

What's the story with Treasure Island?

Seems like it could be a cool spot, but after doing my limited research its a combination hazmat us government site turned into affordable housing that's run by a company that doesn't really give a poo poo about tenants...

Does that sound about right?

You know how the bay bridge is a pain in the rear end to drive across if you're heading in or out of the city? It's like that but going anywhere.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

Which part of the state best matches the Dredd opening scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbcoOqGKFi8

Yeah, but that's why LA is the best.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Shouldn't this right here be encouragement enough to change?

Well LA is building railed transit faster than any other city in the US so they already know.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SirPablo posted:

I went to the Reagan library this past Sunday. It was magical.

I made the double Reagan library - Nixon library in one day exodus a few years ago. It was a pretty good goddamn socal day -- Republicans and traffic. That said the places really mirror the presidents, Reagan library is a fantasitc building in a really pretty location with no substance whatsoever inside. The Nixon library is rather austere and has a good bunch of history about Nixon's life and presidency.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Seriously though, they are both genuinely interesting historical places devoted to odious men.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 2, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

predicto posted:

The only food in Hong Kong that knocked my socks off was at Din Tai Fun, and that is a dumpling place based in Taiwan.

There's Din Tai Fun locations in California.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
SGV is where the best food is anyway.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ardennes posted:

So Angelenos, Zankou Chicken, does it deserve its reputation or not?

It seemed fine, not necessarily any different than similar places (I don't know if you want to say an Armenian place is Middle-Eastern... but the food at least really is).

Zankou is good. Just get a half chicken and put it about 1 to 1 wrapped in pita with the garlic sauce. Their falafel is okay but not notable.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

withak posted:

Zachary's used to be the only acceptable pizza in the East Bay, now the Little Star expansion in Oakland makes them superfluous.

Cheeseboard is good.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

Find your county:

(Republicans hate the ocean)

I looked up the numbers and Pelican Bay State Prison employs about 5% of Del Norte county.

Edit: about 1500 employees out of a county population of 28000. Edit: Also it has about 3000 inmates who probably don't vote.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 8, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

rope kid posted:

The signs along I-5 all through the Central Valley have made me assume that the people who put them up are all essentially the ornery idiot farmers from Polanski's Chinatown.

They're not idiots for perpetrating the best welfare scam in history.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

predicto posted:

2) There is a lot of new housing going up along the Market Street Corridor. The City is planning for pretty major population growth in the next 20 years, something like 20 percent.

20 percent over 20 years isn't "major population growth".

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

The Presidio is as old as our nation, maybe we should preserve it. There are tons of places in SF he could have sited that museum, like Mission Bay. SF has 700+ acres of brownfields. If the guy was being generous, maybe he should have cited it there.

My guess is, he wanted his museum near Walt's.

Most of the Presidio is basically a superfund site with the old Nike site or dilapidated army barracks. There is actually a decent amount of space open to tastefully develop.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Hog Obituary posted:

Are Southern California native plants a fire hazard in the summer months? (serious question) I really like the idea of a native garden, but I wonder if I'd actually put my house at greater risk.

I'm not sure if they are as a lawn fixture but they are explosively volatile natively.

With that in mind you guys should read the John McPhee piece "Los Angeles Against the Mountains". It's about fires and the futility of stoping landslides in California.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Yeah, if you live in Southern California there's pretty much no reason not to grow citrus.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Motorcycles also save the environment by killing off environmentally polluting humans quite efficiently.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Anecdote isn't data, but I've known half a dozen people who rode motorcycles and every single one of them had a bad personal injury on them. Please don't ride a motorcycle in any sort of traffic.

Yeah, one of my good friends died on a cycle last year and a bunch of other people I know have wiped out or gotten taken out in traffic.

At least from a driver's perspective it's extremely hard to see a cyclist who's cutting lanes coming if you're lane changing as they are going 20 MPH faster than the rest of traffic and you're already paying attention to about 4 or 5 things going on.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 21, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

As a bicycle commuter, I'd actually wager that a lot more motorcycle accidents are car error than bikes cutting lanes.

I didn't say it wasn't a car error to change lanes into a cyclist. It's just an extra extremely difficult task in the fast moving heavy traffic that we get in every city in California. I bicycle quite a bit and am extremely conscious to stay out of a position where someone will swerve into me. If it happens it doesn't axiomatically mean it was my fault or on the other hand that it's not my personal responsibility to avoid getting in that position.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Miss-Bomarc posted:

And yet there is still a giant pipeline that sends the SF Bay to Los Angeles.

I've never understood why northern California people don't see the hypocrisy in being huffy about southern California importing their residential water.

• Locked thread