Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Classic Twisty posted:

What's so great about California

Burritos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

foot posted:

Not north of Los Angeles County it isn't.

The California Burrito Zone actually extends into parts of Oregon, Nevada and western Arizona. Quality may peak in certain locales, but you'll see what I mean if you drive east across the southwest sampling burritos as you go. (By the time you get to New Mexico you'll just give up and have nothing but wet burritos.)

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 28, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

agarjogger posted:

Aaaaand here's what they do with it.

Holy poo poo...I've driven through Bakersfield a few times, it never LOOKED that dry.

loving PHOENIX gets 1/3 more precipitation than Bakersfield, and it's one of the drier parts of Arizona. (And since it is full of horrible monsters, they do more or less the same thing with all their water and the water they steal.)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
"do research" = read the same right wing blog I do.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I presume the machine that does this runs slower than a subway train, which is why they shut it down. Couldn't they slow service at night to accommodate this rather than stopping it entirely? Or is maintenance to unpredictable to allow this to work?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What taxes exactly are strangling business in California?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Ardennes posted:

It is a nice system for them in some ways, but to be honest I have a hard time envying people living in Las Vegas

I see you've never lived in Arizona.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Obdicut posted:

I've been told by some of my Chinese-Californian friends that you can get better Chinese food in San Francisco than in many parts of China, since the ingredients are more readily available and of better quality. Is this just rah-rah Cali boosterism?

CAN get? Yeah, you probably CAN. If you were to pick any two restaurants at random, though? No.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
My AC went out for a month in summer in Tucson.

I used to be perplexed by how heat waves could kill so many old people in the midwest. Not anymore. It kind of snuck up on me. One or two days of that were nothing. Suck it up, move on. But after a couple of weeks I started being unable to think straight, I was sleeping more erratically than usual, and I was feeling weak.

I know how to manage the air flow and sunlight in a house to keep it in the low 80s through most of a hot day. But dammit, I don't think I can live in the desert in summer without at least an hour of AC a day.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
But it's what the market will bear, so it's okay.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Leperflesh posted:

I think it's possible to express concern about a trend without obliquely implying it's a sinister national conspiracy to enslave the country.

It is a sinister national conspiracy to enslave the country.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Conspiracy is a heavily loaded word. "Enslave" is even worse. But here you have a collection of capital firms swooping in and buying up properties on the cheap and putting their thumb on both the the rental and the starter home markets. With wages stagnating and job security a joke, it's not a huge step to make for those in the working class looking up.

How about this....it is a collection of (in many cases objectively provable, in a few cases proven in court) conspiracies to extract more and more money from the working classes. Collectively this has the effect of removing our disposable income and our options. With the degree to which corporate directorates interlock, I think we can call it a single conspiracy, though there may not be any single conspirator who is involved in every aspect of it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I'm not disagreeing with your point, but with your using heavily loaded terms. The net effect is the same, but it's the result of thousands of individual actions, each earnest and mostly innocently self-interested, not a sinister cabal. It's capital in general that is the conspiracy, members of interlocking boards.

It's only loaded because "conspiracy" has been taken over for reptoid-CIAkilledJFK-chemtrails. People get together to do things (many of them illegal if unenforced) at the expense of others, what else are you going to call it? That you can't hear the word without picturing Bond villains or tinfoil hats doesn't change what it is. And no kidding capital is the conspiracy, what do you think I was talking about?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Should have said "no, I can't stop," and let him unfriend you.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

FCKGW posted:

For many people who were priced out of the bubble or who had to restart their careers and are now on stable ground, prices and rates may be still be in the range that home ownership looks attractive.

If you didn't buy in the bubble because you were priced out, that doesn't mean that it would have been a good buy if you'd had more money at the time.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Leperflesh posted:

For the same reason many providers of commodities don't. I mean, in some cases they do: see the 1970s oil crisis, see also DeBeers. But in most cases they only prefer this situation if they have a monopoly! Since I don't agree that a monopoly is likely, I hope you can see why I also don't think companies will deliberately withhold hundreds of units from the market just to push prices up some fractional amount. Their overall losses would dwarf the marginal gains from increasing rents by some small number.

They don't need to have a literal monopoly...they just need to have a large supply (ideally a continual one...which a rental property company basically has; but if you know the prices can't be sustained that doesn't matter) obtained at far less than market prices. That's something you can do if you're Standard Oil, OPEC, or DeBeers; but it does not require you to be.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

FCKGW posted:

You're correct, but I never said anything about buying pre-crash. I'm specifically stating that for many people in many areas (especially SoCal), prices have fallen nearly 50% from their peak and rates are at the lowest points in history. If you want the good along with the bad of homeownership, it's a pretty good time to jump in.

Either way, publicly making GBS threads on someone's business is kinda a dick move.

So some places AREN'T part of the new bubble and none of that applies.

However, if that someone was telling people in the bubble zones that now is a good time to buy, he is committing a dick move, and it is not a dick move to spare people the near-inevitable loss of following along with it. It's more of a dick move to let someone be scammed.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 28, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

SirPablo posted:

I went to the Reagan library this past Sunday. It was magical.

Don't just leave it at that.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Rah! posted:

There's tons of good chinese food in the south bay, but there is in SF too. It would be hard for there not to be, with a population that's 20% Chinese.

Easier than you'd think given how bad the food is in parts of China that are like 100 percent Chinese.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Eegah posted:

Let me guess, every street is curved to keep them teen-agers from driving their hot rods fast.

DORIFUTO!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

FCKGW posted:

Yes and curved roads allow for more cul-de-sacs houses which sell for more money :ssh:

Is this true, and does it imply what I think it does about the people who would pay more for such a house? 

My mental image is of someone cradling a gun with their back to a wall...always keep your back to the wall and face the door.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Are you guys all Quiverfull or something? What the hell are you going to do with a 4000 square foot house? Or is that the size of your lot?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Leperflesh posted:

(my street has traffic humps

AKA totally awesome jump ramps.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Fake grass is meh. If you're going to use water, might as well water something edible. Pull up your backyard and plant a garden.

And then your HOA confiscates your house.

Ron Jeremy posted:

And I said, "if you're going to use water..." The real solution is density. One park can have a professionally maintained lawn in walking distance of a bunch of medium density apartment buildings. Same thing for pools.

Street View your way around Tucson a bit to see what SoCal SHOULD look like.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

-Troika- posted:

The prison guard union is a poster child for why public sector unions should be illegal.

The prison guard union is a poster child for the corrupting effects of perverse incentives in any context; no organization is immune, and it doesn't matter if it's labor or management.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

withak posted:

Something like $12-14/day then.

edit: Though keep in mind that this trip crosses some pretty serious geographic obstacles and wouldn't even be feasible without some expensive bridges and tunnels.

Oh no, tunnels, how prohibitively expensive and total justification for expensive tickets. I mean tunnels are just unheard of in public transportation, it's like something out of science fiction!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Hong Kong and Tokyo laugh at your circumstances and achievements.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Leperflesh posted:

BART is paid for in part by the counties it runs through, of course. But even so, the entire greater SF metropolitan area, including Oakland and San Jose, is about 7.15 million.

About the size of Hong Kong, and also largely irrelevant.

I picked those examples because of similar geological and geographical challenges. Really, though, those ticket prices are ridiculous compared to any other system I've ever ridden, and probably most of the ones I haven't. BUT AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM.

The Bay Area is not a unique snowflake, don't make excuses for your political failures.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Leperflesh posted:

I don't know where this hostility is coming from, but no, it's not my "political failure." BART is what it is; an aging 1970s electric commuter rail system that costs a lot to run and maintain. The US government doesn't subsidize transportation enough. Neither does California. And neither does the Bay Area. This is not unique to the Bay Area.

Neither are 1970s electric commuter rail systems that cost a lot to run and maintain.

The hostility, such as it is, is toward your excuses for a host of problems that literally every non-US transit system has managed to avoid, and which some US ones have done better on.

quote:

And as I said, the system is running at or near capacity. What would happen to the system if you lowered fares significantly?

Probably not much.

Ardennes posted:

Granted, I think the confusion is that the BART is similar to a more standard metro-system when it it is it's own weird hybrid commuter system which usually isn't subsidized by local governments in the same fashion. The expectation is that commuters have money to spend on transportation (the alternative being car use) so the local governments shouldn't subsidize it in the same fashion as more local systems (such as Buses/Muni). MUNI fares are 2.00 which is a more standard transit rate.
Thanks for giving me another reason to dislike the US system of allowing every other housing or commercial development to establish its own municipal government and tax base; thus ensuring that EVERY government is small enough to drown in a bathtub.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Miss-Bomarc posted:

And what's amusing is that the federal government did that and nobody said "boo", but now that local governments want to do it and sell the properties back to the homeowner the banks are suing to stop it happening.

If all this is true and the court isn't loving bought, I'm guessing the banks will lose; but all they need to do is stall in order to really win.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

enraged_camel posted:

The only exception is nationally recognized fast-food chains. And guess why those are successful: because there are "business vampires" at the top of the enterprise marking the poo poo out of the business. People have heard about Chipotle because of ads on TV and the Internet, not because of their master chefs.

I have never seen a Chipotle ad. I heard of them because I knew people who liked to eat there DESPITE LIVING IN CALIFORNIA AT THE TIME WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE WHY DOES CHIPOTLE EVEN EXIST IN CALIFORNIA?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Going to a Chipotle in California is like going to a Sbarro in New York.

When I was at the Defense Language Institute, drat near everyone I knew there talked about Chipotle like it was the second loving coming. GO TO PAPA CHEVOS YOU FUCKS.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If you live in California and eat at Chipotle, kill yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
There's taco bell for that. They don't even pretend.

For Chipotle money you could get a real goddamn burrito, and a cup of horchata to wash it down.

• Locked thread