Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Echo echo echo

It's interesting that they mention civil encounters and charisma as that suggests a pretty big increase in scope from "See man. Shoot man.". Does that mean your agents to some extent have voices so that they can complete some objectives by social interaction? Are we going to have quest givers that you talk to?

The Hacker's environmental control sounds like it could be very enjoyable if there's liberal chance to use it. Raising police spikes makes me think of the Watchdogs gameplay trailer where the player totals some police cars by raising some security bollards in their path.

I'm quickly skipping through that Youtube Krautfunding Show and one thing that I thought was interesting is that all the cinematic footage at the start of the pledge video is all done with game assets in the game engine. I guess that could mean a lot or a little really but it's nice to have some affirmation that it's more than just concept art at this stage. (Now where the hell is more game asset imagery! :argh:)

Also I've just started playing Syndicate Wars again (thanks guy in thread who told me it was possible to get a CD copy working) and I'm really enjoying it, it is however bastard hard and I've rage quit once or twice. I have no idea how I coped with the ridiculous zoom system as I spend more time looking at the mini-map than the screen because it gives me some idea of what's going on.

It does make me grateful that they are looking to make agents individually useful though as there's very little call to do much as anything other than a 4 man group. I may sound like an idiot with this, but something like Mass Effect's squads would work for this game I think, where everyone is useful in a fight, but each has various class based skills on top that you need to deploy as the situation arises.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Fwoderwick posted:

Echo echo echo

Does that mean your agents to some extent have voices so that they can complete some objectives by social interaction? Are we going to have quest givers that you talk to?

I got the impression that things like charisma had more of an impact on whether civilians flee screaming when they see you or not. I really hope there aren't any fetch quests or anything.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well Add-Ons have been announced though strangely I don't see them listed on the actual kickstarter page yet. Just extra copies of the game and T-Shirts.

Even more strangely where is the digital novella as an Add in? This is the only one that'd really tempt me. I certainly won't convince my wife to play with me so I don't need an extra copy of the game.

Any case there's been a decent upswing in the pledges today.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Darkhold posted:

Any case there's been a decent upswing in the pledges today.
Yeah, it is looking better. Man, the tension is killing me. I have to wonder if they are keeping a nice gameplay mockup in their back pocket to release at a strategic time. I hope so.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I'll be honest, I'm not backing it because I'm skeptical that they can produce everything they want to produce on that minimal budget they set. I'm not familiar with their work as a studio and while I enjoy the setting I'm not about to just throw down 30 bucks or whatever to something that I'm not sure they can pull off. I backed studios like Obsidian and inXile and even Harebrained Studios because I was very familiar with them as a company and the work of their top developers. These guys just aren't doing it for me. That being said, I'd like to see it make it and succeed. I don't mind paying for a good game afterwards if it's good, after all.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Gooble Rampling posted:

Yeah, it is looking better. Man, the tension is killing me. I have to wonder if they are keeping a nice gameplay mockup in their back pocket to release at a strategic time. I hope so.

Same here.

Sorry for not participating in the thread more, I usually prefer lurking. Though thanks to this thread I threw a hundred bucks (that I initially had no intention in throwing) to them so thank you guys for all the updates and vocal enthusiasm. :)

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Now there's a Hacker Agent update. Not much we hadn't learned already, but it sounds like a fun class to work with.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5livesstudios/satellite-reign/posts/541402

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Glad they moved beyond the initial "I'm a girl teehee!" concept sketches to something a bit more utilitarian. God help us, the internet doesn't need much of a nudge to come out with something like "she can persuade me anytime" :smug:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
100K to go with 11 days left... man this is some nail biting stuff.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.
My defining Syndicate Wars moment was when my squad were taking cover behind a building, shooting any enemy agents who rounded the corner... and an enemy agent planted an explosive device on the building, demolishing it totally and killing my team. I was slack-jawed. At that stage, I didn't even know buildings could be destroyed!

The people behind Satellite Reign have just announced that destroyable buildings are a stretch goal. Not an integral part of no-holds-barred warfare in the ideal dystopian future, not the ultimate innocent bystander, but something to be considered. Even then, they say you'll only be able to flatten some buildings, not all.

I get the feeling that the devs don't understand what made Syndicate Wars great. They seem to think they're on the ShadowRun project. This is why the Kickstarter is performing so poorly. It looks like the Syndicate FPS from a couple years ago was actually closer to the spirit of the old games than this.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Axegrinder posted:

It looks like the Syndicate FPS from a couple years ago was actually closer to the spirit of the old games than this.

You haven't played it.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.

Hav posted:

You haven't played it.

Guilty as charged.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Axegrinder posted:

My defining Syndicate Wars moment was when my squad were taking cover behind a building, shooting any enemy agents who rounded the corner... and an enemy agent planted an explosive device on the building, demolishing it totally and killing my team. I was slack-jawed. At that stage, I didn't even know buildings could be destroyed!

The people behind Satellite Reign have just announced that destroyable buildings are a stretch goal. Not an integral part of no-holds-barred warfare in the ideal dystopian future, not the ultimate innocent bystander, but something to be considered. Even then, they say you'll only be able to flatten some buildings, not all.

I get the feeling that the devs don't understand what made Syndicate Wars great. They seem to think they're on the ShadowRun project. This is why the Kickstarter is performing so poorly. It looks like the Syndicate FPS from a couple years ago was actually closer to the spirit of the old games than this.
To be fair fully-destructible terrain is one of those things that's actually gotten way more complex as tech evolved. Even the new XCOM game had to tone it down to get it to work.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Axegrinder posted:

Really? You think that the kickstarter is doing poorly because they didn't announce destructible buildings? You don't think it's because they don't have a 'big' name draw like Tim Schafer or the fact that non-US kickstarters always seem to struggle more than US kickstarters? And somehow an FPS the also didn't have destructible buildings or really anything in connection with the original game is closer in spirit then one build solely by people nostalgic for the old gameplay by one of the makers?

Your point of view is just so odd. Of course destructible buildings are going to be expensive both in time and money so they'd need more resources to put that in game or have to ratchet down the project significantly to start with.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Destructible buildings/terrain weren't in Syndicate 1, therefore I'll be fine without them. :colbert:

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

To be honest I actually liked the syndicate FPS because it was a pretty fun, dorky cyberpunk shooter and I like fun, dorky cyberpunk things.

I didn't throw a whole paycheque at it though and god willing I'll scrape the cash together to do that here.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Republican Vampire posted:

To be honest I actually liked the syndicate FPS because it was a pretty fun, dorky cyberpunk shooter and I like fun, dorky cyberpunk things.

I didn't throw a whole paycheque at it though and god willing I'll scrape the cash together to do that here.
It was okay right up until you switched sides.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I still think they'd have got more money if there was significantly more early bird slots. That'd get more peoples feet in the door, many of whom would later move up tiers and the whole drive would have much more momentum which can get people on the fringes interested. What have they gained by having 3% of the goal come from 1000 early birds?

Destructable buildings would be very cool, but other than robbing banks and the odd bit of collateral damage I dont remember it being a cornerstone.

I can see why it'd only be some buildings in this game, given the change to a sandbox city it'd be difficult to justify levelling everything.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Ugh, I really want to see some test gameplay footage but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Here's a recent developer quote from the comments. I swear it's like they're teasing me!

quote:

Right now I have a white box world with 4 agents, a few civilians, a couple of enemy AI and a basic traffic system, its the sort of thing that might appeal to the backers we all ready have but isn't going to to get a ton of new media coverage which is what we really need.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Gooble Rampling posted:

Ugh, I really want to see some test gameplay footage but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Here's a recent developer quote from the comments. I swear it's like they're teasing me!
I said it before but Stonehearth got a really big boost off of sending their prototype off to youtube let's play people. All you could do was build a house but that was enough.

They need to stop worrying about showing things in a rough state and reaching out to some of these niche people with audiences.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Someone send them this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/04/the-isometric-age-shadowrun-returns-screens/

People need to be able to visualise what you're aiming for.

edit: That said I wonder what level of game they can make for £350,000 and if they could therefore confidently stick out something like the above at this point. Shadowrun is, asset-wise, 2D art I think and so you can probably take a better stab at your final look.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 19, 2013

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Darkhold posted:

I said it before but Stonehearth got a really big boost off of sending their prototype off to youtube let's play people. All you could do was build a house but that was enough.

They need to stop worrying about showing things in a rough state and reaching out to some of these niche people with audiences.

I can kind of see where they're coming from. Having worked in game dev I have found a startling percentage of people just can't use their imagination when looking at a prototype white-box level. You'll show them some cool system or feature but they totally ignore it because all the lighting and normal/spec maps aren't in place.

That being said, this is Kickstarter, they shouldn't have to try and sell early visuals to a mass audience. It just needs to appeal to slightly more people.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Thing is it doesn't matter most of these guys are just happy to fiddle around with the systems that are there. They tell their strangely loyal fanbase to go donate and they will.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Alright another update.

quote:

We’ve had a quite a few requests to see gameplay footage, the dilemma for us being that it’s a bit of a chicken and egg situation. To accurately portray the kind of immerse, simulated and emergent world we want to create, we need to actually create it for reals! And that’s what this Kickstarter campaign is for, to create the game. We’d love to be able to demonstrate a mission played numerous different ways to sell the idea to you but that would require several months and a lot of money to produce. If we could do that we’d have the game half done and we wouldn't really need Kickstarter to get us off the ground. We need a right, royal Kickstarting!

So with that in mind, while we prepare for our final week's onslaught of updates (no spoilers, we want them to be a surprise!), we thought you might like to see the extended cuts and a few unused gameplay shots we created for the initial pitch video and how we imagine the game will play and look. All of this was done in the engine we’re using for Satellite Reign, Unity.

http://youtu.be/BUFPSMq7xEM
Ugh they still seem to not get it. 'no spoilers' isn't the way to get people excited about upcoming updates. The video is kinda neat but it's just a few disconnected scenes. Stop playing coy is something I've harped about in this thread endlessly but it just hurts them that they're not showing more.

What follows is a huge (and I mean huge) wall of text of a potential mission and its solution. Which is I guess ok it you're curious about their vision but this is all ideas up in the air with nothing concrete behind it.

And finally it talks about a high profile backer.

I have to say I'm honestly a little frustrated at this point. They're just not generating the buzz they need. Sure they're going to skate by their minimum funding but this could have been a million dollar kickstarter not one that's struggling to get 500k. Hopefully the game doesn't suffer from it and sales from this will allow them to do a more ambitious sequel or Xpack.

Theodyn
Oct 12, 2012

I like all kinds of alcohol. Except schnapps. Schnapps can go to hell.
The cynic in me wants to think that the actual gameplay will not be so fluid or polished as in that video.

It all feels to be on the same level as trailers that show no actual gameplay, or heavily doctored screenshots. The fact that they've shown no actual gameplay, just an engine demonstration, makes that cynic in me think that they can't actually deliver on their promises.

I agree that playing so coy is hurting them massively.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Theodyn posted:

I agree that playing so coy is hurting them massively.

List of screwups as of Jul 21st:
  • Bad currency.
  • Bad title.
  • Poor demo videos.
  • A whole update about Dengler? WTF?
  • Poor spelling in the AI update. Get a proofreader! (Yes, I'm being petty.)

List of good stuff as of Jul 21st:
  • Syndicate returns!
  • Umm... The concept art is nice?

In other words, nothing to charm me has happened yet. Tangiers has a share of problems with their kickstarter, but at least they released some gameplay videos. They still probably won't make it, but at least they did their best. SatReign feels like a botched effort to me.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Here's an update about the Soldier Agent...
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5livesstudios/satellite-reign/posts/546002

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well at least it's starting its last week really strong. Nearly £20k yesterday. Hopefully this last week push will have some interesting reveals in it.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

We're almost there!

Check out this funny and insightful blog post Diskett just posted on Gamasutra. I think it answers a lot of the second guessing critiques people have made about this kickstarter by going over their own mistakes. Basically they went in without really knowing the "tips and tricks" of a successful kickstarter campaign.

quote:

Just because InXile and Double Fine can run a kickstarter without gameplay footage and a few sentences about the game and a smile, doesn't mean you can.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MikeDiskett/20130722/196705/A_Letter_from_the_trenches_of_a_Kickstarter.php

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
90% Funding. Here's the daily pledge graph for anyone interested

Stretch goals as a reminder:

Enviromental destruction is well within reach. The next (slightly unlikely) adds a writer, enemy factions and extra city zones. This would be a nice addition. The level after that is more of the same but I doubt it'll reach that far.

Multiplayer looks like it's not going to make it which isn't a concern for me but is a shame for people that like that sort of thing.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

It's an amazing piece of modern human psychology that you could set your watch to the start/end kickstarter push. I'm currently crossing my fingers for someone jumping up from the early bird slot. I missed out on two earlier as I'd completely forgotten that was a thing and they were gone before I could react. I dunno, £13 seems much less of a psychological commitment than £16.

Definitely hoping for environmental destruction. Russell Zimmerman sounds familiar as a name but can't think of anything he's done, google says Shadowrun? As a name of something the factions/districts sound good, although the Scientific district sounds like it'd be the most visually distinct and thats at a tier which would take a big upturn in pledges.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well according to an update he's written 3 Shadowrun books and contributed to 'multiple' tabletop games.

There's a kindle edition of one of his books on Amazon and it seems to have half decent user reviews. I'm still a little baffled they aren't offering the novella as an add-on or that they haven't come up with any other add-on ideas.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Darkhold posted:

Enviromental destruction is well within reach.
I think environmental destruction would be cool. I just know from experience that something like that can be a real time sink to get right, especially if you throw it in after you've already established a bunch of working systems. I would almost be happier without it just to get a solid game sooner. Of course if they start with it in mind then that's a different case.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

They just had a fun little TwitchTV feed. Mike gets his agents killed as he plays Syndicate Wars and they even show a quick peak behind the curtain at a white box level for Satellite Reign. https://www.twitch.tv/5livesstudios/b/434914769

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I had a few drinks with Mitch from 5 Lives on Monday. These guys really have a lot of industry experience. I hope this goes really well for them as I'm confident they can create something beautiful.

Also, I convinced Mitch to start using twitter, so go follow him @MiddaCliff

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

gently caress, more people need to pledge to this. I just found this game kickstarter thanks to this thread and have changed my pants after wetting them.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

hambeet posted:

gently caress, more people need to pledge to this. I just found this game kickstarter thanks to this thread and have changed my pants after wetting them.

Excellent. Spread the word. Let's kick them well over the line!

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

All right! The Kickstarter has been a success! As of 1:11am Brisbane time on July 24th 2013 Satellite Reign has been funded!

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yup, that was pretty drat cool. Now I can stop checking that drat page once every 5 minutes and actually do some work for a change while I'm at, uh, work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well at this rate there's no way Environmental Destruction isn't going to be in. With the accelerated pace of the last few days £500K with more factions is quite reasonable. Anything more would take a miracle though.

Where's all these super awesome updates that were supposed to hit? Or were those pretty average updates supposed to be it?

• Locked thread