Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Martello posted:

That's actually a weak point in this build of the game, the guns. They feel underpowered and sound a little tinny, but I think that's FUTURE GUNSOUND so whatever. The thing that really bothers me is that the weapons look futuristic, but they have dumb Goldeneye names like the Ozi instead of the Uzi. This is a cyberpunk game, why not just make up completely new cyberpunk weapons?

Take a hint from Borderlands and their corporate-speak naming conventions that Hyperion uses on their weapons. That's what I'd expect of guns from a cyberpunk game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Pierson posted:

GOG.com has a deal on Bullfrog games this Christmas and look what one of the screenshots is for their Syndicate Wars page.

Man I don't remember any of those guns, I guess I didn't play SW enough.

I was just thinking about Syndicate Wars earlier today. The Plasma Lance was a late game weapon for both sides I believe, firing a big white beam, but I only for Graviton Guns by cheating them in. They fired a big purple beam plus a bunch of homing laser shots.

I'm not sure if I just missed stuff, the game had lots of secrets and I wasn't quite as savvy then.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Martello posted:

The thing that really bothers me is that the weapons look futuristic, but they have dumb Goldeneye names like the Ozi instead of the Uzi. This is a cyberpunk game, why not just make up completely new cyberpunk weapons?

My only worries about this game stem from the fact that the team doesn't have a writer. At least, when I last checked they didn't, and that was around the time they asked people to suggest names for stuff on their forum.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Maybe I should go post on the backer forum.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Martello posted:

Man they really need to make this game soon. Hungerin for it.

Just beat all the objectives in the EA, and I agree completely. What a wonderful game this is going to be with just some tweaking and bug-fixes.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cheston posted:

My only worries about this game stem from the fact that the team doesn't have a writer. At least, when I last checked they didn't, and that was around the time they asked people to suggest names for stuff on their forum.

It's double strange, because they specifically listed a writer under their stretch goals, and made a big deal about it when they got him. I think they really need him to offset the creative cesspool that is their backer forums.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Not sure how long it's up, but the pre-alpha build now starts with a nice tutorial. It does a pretty good job of explaining the core game mechanics. If you haven't messed with the game in a while, now's a good time to check it out again.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Martello posted:

Not sure how long it's up, but the pre-alpha build now starts with a nice tutorial. It does a pretty good job of explaining the core game mechanics. If you haven't messed with the game in a while, now's a good time to check it out again.

That's new for me at least, but I got in on the earliest opportunity.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Anyone get to the new neighborhood yet? I haven't played enough to know when and how it opens up.

I did get my BackerKit email though.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

They just updated! I'm avoiding playing until the final release, but it sounds super exciting. Apparently they're feature-complete, and the next release after this is going to be the complete game in beta.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Good to hear! I've been avoiding this one until it's complete as well. I really do want to play it but don't want it to turn into a Darkest Dungeon scenario in that I get bored with it before the game is even released.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

I just installed the latest build. It is definitely coming along nicely. My only real complaint is that the crappy loading screen is still there at the very start.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Okay, so I looked up and apparently this game is on a feature-complete version and should be released by late August or September? What are the impressions of it so far, worth getting on release?

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

ZearothK posted:

Okay, so I looked up and apparently this game is on a feature-complete version and should be released by late August or September? What are the impressions of it so far, worth getting on release?

From playing through the first district in the current version a couple weeks back, I'd say it's pretty good, but doesn't quite feel like it's ready for launch yet. Feedback and pathfinding are the main issues, and the former is largely due to the stealth mechanics and vision cones. It seems pretty dumb that enemies have those flashlights as a ~diagetic~ vision cone, but it's always staring at the floor in front of them despite their actual line of sight going way further out. And the pathfinding is something I had to fight with for the first half of the district (both in stealth and combat) and eventually just got used working around the jankiness of it. It's also really annoying that saves only really keep track of progression rather than specific states of units, I.e, you don't keep your hacked units and every camera and enemy respawns on reload.

That said, I did end up having a lot of fun upgrading my hacker to basically Persuadotron the gently caress out of everybody and either making a death squad of hacked guards that just tore poo poo up alongside my agents, or smaller infiltration units of guards/civilians to wipe out security systems before sending my agents in, or using civilians as a distraction, getting them arrested (and surrounded) by guards, then sending agents in and just wrecking everyone with explosives and gunfire. The AI's dumb as a brick sometimes, though. Guards don't give a poo poo if a hacked guard starts shooting out all the cameras in the area, though they will be alerted to the camera being down and search around going "WHO DID THAT???" while you casually walk over to another one and shoot it out with no consequence. There's also a bug with melee, in that punching a guard with a hacked dude only alerts that one guard, so you can take out entire patrols as long as you can keep on top of each unit and punch them to death.

Speaking of punching, one of the most effective ways to play for me has been almost literally zerg-rushing by getting a bunch of armored units alongside my agents and running up as close as possible to each enemy and just punching them to death. Punching takes out an absurd amount of health, and honestly, I kind of want it to stay that way, because it's hilarious fun and still a risk that's led to my squad getting wiped a couple times. They really need to fix the timing between the sound cue and the actual hit, though.

The ol' Syndicate R&D metagame progression stuff is cool, and the way side-missions play into it is cool as well. I haven't grown tired of infiltrating restricted areas to steal prototypes and getting away, and it's cool how you can decide to equip one unit with a prototype and risk them losing it on death instead of pouring the resources into researching each thing. The upgrade trees aren't terrible (though the quasi-active-pause ability should really just be part of the game to begin with, and it's annoying as poo poo that you need to have the unit with it selected to use it, even with the hotkey) and cloning NPCs for stat boosts and appearance changes is neat. It's also worth noting that I managed to avoid saving the person that unlocks the fourth agent type (the sneaky sniper, basically) until basically the end of my run through the district because I got so distracted with side-missions, so hell maybe the stealth is balanced I just needed that unit to make it fun. I will say it was nice of them to consider this as a thing that can happen, because the game gave that class about as many upgrade points as i had gotten for the other classes up to that point, despite individual class progression normally being separate from one-another.

tl;dr, It's good but they better have put a shitload of work into bugfixing and design polish for it to be worth picking up on launch for the price it's running for, though I haven't regretted my purchase because it's still largely what I expected/wanted and I'm happy to support the devs because they seem like cool people making a cool game.

Also they need to work on optimization 'cause it still runs worse than it probably should.

Also one of the animated billboards in-game is a years-old trailer for a Lazerhawk album but I can't find any mention anywhere of LH having anything to do with this game so what the hell.

Ibbz
Dec 21, 2005
First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women

Moartoast posted:

tl;dr, It's good but they better have put a shitload of work into bugfixing and design polish for it to be worth picking up on launch for the price it's running for, though I haven't regretted my purchase because it's still largely what I expected/wanted and I'm happy to support the devs because they seem like cool people making a cool game.

Also they need to work on optimization 'cause it still runs worse than it probably should.

They just released a big update today which should hopefully resolve a lot of the bugs -

http://steamcommunity.com/games/268870/announcements/detail/132080315235020161

I was a backer for the Kickstarter but haven't played it yet, I'm waiting for release. Would you say the core gameplay's good / similar to the original Syndicates?

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Ibbz posted:

They just released a big update today which should hopefully resolve a lot of the bugs -

I was a backer for the Kickstarter but haven't played it yet, I'm waiting for release. Would you say the core gameplay's good / similar to the original Syndicates?

It's been a looooooong time since I played a proper Syndicate game, so take that as you will, but it feels more like a spiritual successor that's carving its own path while still being in love with the old games. The atmosphere definitely feels like a less-surreal Syndicate Wars, but some of the design feels more like a Deus Ex accomodate-multiple-playstyles dealio, I mainly realized this when I remembered how the actual Satellite Rain weapon in SW would wreck the poo poo out of buildings, wondered why SR doesn't have destructible buildings, and realized that it's because it would probably gently caress the level design hard. So far I've actually quite liked the tighter level design, too, it hasn't felt too restrictive or rigidly constructed and has allowed for some creative solutions to problems, but it's very distinct from the old games.

It's also neat that they're going for a seamless-world type thing. You still have a mission control center, it's just the pause menu instead of something you go back to after you've finished a mission. This does mean it's not a globe-trotting corporate warfare adventure and takes place in one big city this time (and the menu's not as rad as a computer loudly beaming a HUD into your eyeball), but they also used this to their advantage and made it so that all missions are basically a la cartè, even the ones that let you into other districts can be done right away as far as I can tell, and the system for marking the mission areas is alright, though it could use some more indicators as to which ping is for what mission.

The one big issue with the quasi-open-world approach is that there's times where you're just waiting for your units to make their way to another section of the map for minutes at a time (especially because they all have very limited stamina, so basically they're just briskly walking to each point). There is a fast travel system that could totally fix this, but you have to walk all the way to each travel point to activate them anyways, even though there'd be no harm in activating them all from the get-go, they already don't let you travel at all if even one of your agents is in any danger (i.e, in a restricted area, in an alert phase, has even a sliver of a wanted level). And you still need to go through the effort of activating them if you want to start somewhere reasonable when you reload your save.

Also, it could do with more visceral combat. It's not terrible, but chipping away at an enemy's health (when not punching them to death) would probably feel a bit better if there was at least some puffs of blood instead of just sparks, and there's definitely a part of me that misses the gratuitous 90's ultraviolence that SW dabbled more than a little in.

Still, that patch has motivated me to boot it up again, might write up a post about it if anything I've mentioned has changed significantly. To be clear, I do really, really enjoy the game, and there's something about its core design/gameplay that makes it very engaging, it's just got a lot of rough parts that might get to other people more than they get to me.

Moartoast fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 3, 2015

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ibbz posted:

I was going to post a quote of the update notes up in here, but they're HUGE. They've clearly been doing a lot of work to polish it lately.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Any other backers figured out how to access the soundtrack or novella? I activated the steam keys and they show up as DLC, with no apparent way to actually open them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What's the weapon variety like? I know Syndicate Wars at least was famous for some ridiculously destructive gadgets, but everything I've seen of SR seems to be standard rifles, snipers and shotguns, albeit with an XCom-like gradation of bullet, laser and plasma. Anything more exotic?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Martello posted:

Any other backers figured out how to access the soundtrack or novella? I activated the steam keys and they show up as DLC, with no apparent way to actually open them.
They're in the game folder (right-click > Properties > Browse Local Files).

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

SupSuper posted:

They're in the game folder (right-click > Properties > Browse Local Files).

Duh, thanks.

Lossless audio rules.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
1.0 dropped today with the 'official' launch tomorrow, the game is done and out.

I didn't play much during Alpha/Beta so I can't say how much was fixed, changed or dropped but it's here. Fast travel is still awkward at first but I just view travelling as the time to hack ATMs, gather clones and annoy guards.

EDIT: One thing I think would have been super-cool is if individual clones/bodies only lasted for one death, as opposed to scan-them-once-have-them-forever. That would encourage you to both hunt down civilians/guards with good skills and also add some risk by losing that clone and those skills if you hosed up and died.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 27, 2015

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Don't clones degrade with use? That's a decent incentive for keeping a fresh batch around in case you get your agents melted.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I started playing beyond the tutorial just this week, and I was really unhappy to see my save files invalidated by the update. That said, the new version is leaps and bounds ahead of previous versions, and it's really great to play. It really is starting to look finished.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Oh wow, I loved the original Syndicate games. Gauss guns were where it was at, '..some people just want to see the world burn.'

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Emnity posted:

Oh wow, I loved the original Syndicate games. Gauss guns were where it was at, '..some people just want to see the world burn.'

Persuadertron supremacy.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ok so it's been released: from early access users can we get a yay/nay/wait-a-bit?

ps. anyone know what the deluxe version is?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Ok so it's been released: from early access users can we get a yay/nay/wait-a-bit?

ps. anyone know what the deluxe version is?

Deluxe version has the art book, soundtrack and prequel novella.
I've been hearing very good things about the game.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Alchenar posted:

I have played the previous alpha/beta versions months ago and they kind of had me worried to be honest. However, I just updated to the latest version and it is really good. Performance is great, there are plenty of things to do, etc. My main nit pick of the alphas was the lack of animated loading screens with progress bars, but with the full release they have that covered.

I definitely recommend it for scratching that tactical cyberpunk Syndicate itch.

Gooble Rampling fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 28, 2015

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yo, there's a 20% release discount going on. It is my time to push the trigger on it, I guess.

Also a release trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpahop3UI4E

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 28, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Game is good. Missions should be repetitive (go somewhere you shouldn't be, shoot your way in, enter a building), but I'm digging the cyberpunk writing and there are enough ways to assault a place to make it interesting.

I'd love to have a pause button to micromanage my guys, but that was a problem with the original Syndicate as well, so I can't whine too much.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I really have no time to play Satellite Reign with the new Diablo season starting but I gotta get around to it later, everything looks pretty cool.

Do you lose a lot of progress if your team gets waxed? That's the number one thing that kind of puts me off from games like these, I don't want to have to spend two hours reassembling my team if I fail a mission.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Game is good. Missions should be repetitive (go somewhere you shouldn't be, shoot your way in, enter a building), but I'm digging the cyberpunk writing and there are enough ways to assault a place to make it interesting.

I'd love to have a pause button to micromanage my guys, but that was a problem with the original Syndicate as well, so I can't whine too much.

There's a support skill that slows down time quite significantly when it's maxed out. I guess being able to micromanage early would break the difficulty curve or something.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

exquisite tea posted:

I really have no time to play Satellite Reign with the new Diablo season starting but I gotta get around to it later, everything looks pretty cool.

Do you lose a lot of progress if your team gets waxed? That's the number one thing that kind of puts me off from games like these, I don't want to have to spend two hours reassembling my team if I fail a mission.

You really don't. Respawning is on a timer that basically reduces the cost of respawning, until it runs out and the respawn is free (I think). You can orbital drop new agents, but that's super expensive.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Game is pretty cool, anybody who wants a decent RTT should give it a go.

I just got the "Downtown Pacifist" achievement for walking up to a cop and shooting him the face with a Sniper Rifle :downs:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Anyone know about stealth kills with a silenced rifle? Do one-shot stealth kills (hold alt) have to happen close to a target, or is that just a function of the pistol I've been using? I've tried with a sniper rifle, and it just gives me regular sniper rifle damage.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Anyone else back at the level to get the in-game Support Team? I downloaded the .dat and copied it into the folder in Steam and nothing happens when I make a new profile.

Never mind, apparently Steam hasn't released the keys for the Support Team yet. Well, I had to stuff other than play vidgames this weekend anyway. :smith:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Is the Deluxe extras worth it? Is the art book, soundtrack and novel cool enough or should I just get the base game?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Is the Deluxe extras worth it? Is the art book, soundtrack and novel cool enough or should I just get the base game?

The art book is pretty awesome if you like that kind of thing, the soundtrack is good cyberpunk music and comes in both MP3 and FLAC. The novella I'm not sure, I just started reading it and I'm not all that impressed so far. Once I finish I'll post a review for anyone interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's a pretty small download on steam, are they using some sort of cloud or satellite based gfx system in-game, maybe like Destiny? Also, unironically, this would have been improved with a turn-based mechanic, plus it's better looking than the Shadow Run games.

• Locked thread