Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
If you've never played any of the first two Syndicate games you owe it to yourself to give it a shot, the original Syndicate is on sale at GOG for 3 bucks!

https://www.gog.com/gamecard/syndicate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

No Gravitas posted:

I'd love to back this one, but I have some doubts.

• "DRM-Free option will be available to backers" -- Smells like Shadowrun. Yuck.
  • This amount of money is not that great for the goals. If it gets funded in the first place.
  • Is there a megacorporate publisher hiding in the shadows?
  • One agent per class? So you cannot play a team of four hackers? Hope they explain this.
  • What is this business with the currency?
  • The title...

I know the reasons for the last two and they are valid. The first one is probably just my paranoia, since they mention GOG. Any of this just does not make me any more likely to back it.

After Shadowrun I'm super cautious with any Kickstarters... Thanks, Jordan.

So what is it about the Shadowrun kickstarter that has made you wary?

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

No Gravitas posted:

The DRM thing. It is important to me and as far as I'm concerned it is a broken promise.

The delay did not help. The part where they gave some stuff exclusively to some magazine but not to backers did not help. The general lack of updates and transparency did not help. The feeling of the community not being listened to did not help. The voting process for choosing a second city was terribly hosed and that did not help. They did not even release the final vote counts for that. Berlin will be DLC and released later, which does not help. Tilesets will be DLC too and you have to buy the tileset if someone makes a scenario with it. It seems like they put a very heavy weight on DLC earning them money. You cannot make your own tilesets and that does not help either.

And finally... Last and least: The floating messages about "-20 damage" make no sense. -20 HP is good. 20 damage is good. -20 damage is WTF.

So this is why I'm reluctant to back SR. One bad experience was enough. Maybe I will take the plunge though. We shall see...

Last I checked they were still releasing the game and the expansion as DRM free, so I don't see what promises were broken?

• Locked thread