Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

atal posted:

Thanks! Realistically I'll go as whatever I can source a costume for in two weeks - I'm not sure if I could just turn up and be an NPC with rented gear but I'd be up for that. Do you have PM's? I don't want to poo poo up the thread.

Basically it looks to be an awesome setup. The Orc background appeals and they seem to be quite close-knit but having looked into the various groups they also seem to be pretty hardcore about costuming/make up and I'm not sure I want that kind of mess.

If you want to NPC you won't need any kind of kit iirc (barring appropriate footwear). Certainly the NPC kit tent is massive and awe inspiring!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Hedningen posted:

That's pretty loving awesome. I've been talking with the organizer I'm on staff with, and Empire was one of the games we looked at while designing our system.

Freefall was pretty goddamn entertaining this year - the guys representing Weyland-Yutani did a great job of building some awesome props and equipment, including a full website, stable WiFi for the site, and constant media broadcasting and props. If people are interested in pictures, I can post the link to them. Otherwise, I can say that it's one of those weird games that could be absolute chaos (minimal ruleset, crossover with people who aren't interesting in the LARP aspect and just want to shoot guns, fully player-run with roughly one staff member for 150+ people) and yet somehow manages to be a fantastic experience every year.

Sure, pictures would be great!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Empire basically addresses this with its 1-second rule - essentially, you can only make a call/do damage once per second, and any hits the target takes in excess of that can be ignored. It means there's no incentive to drumroll your hits, and in any case as a PC you're often looking to defend yourself and snipe out hits where you can rather than go all out. People also mainly fight to have fun, and the game emphasises 'heroic' fighting, so you can generally expect people not to be taking the piss. As for whipping to swords too fast, it's a core tenet that if you tell someone they're hitting you too hard they're hitting you too hard, no exceptions, and they'll try and pull their blows more. The presence of tons of refs in every fight help keep things safe and cool-looking.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Doodmons posted:

Bearing in mind that you can't stab with a larp weapon since it's a carbon fibre pole and will just go through both the foam and the person you're stabbing, that sounds viable. A few of my larp friends were and are fencers and from what I hear being really dangerous with a basket hilt rapier is the apex of larp fighting. As for Empire, I know they hold duelling tournaments and the fluff for a few of the nations suggest that duelling bravos are a completely viable character concept.

When I was still playing duelling with rapiers in the League was the height of style! As someone who's fenced and larp fought the techniques involved don't have a ton of crossover, but footwork and accurate and rapid weapon movement will do wonders. The main difference is the lack of stabbing, as Doodmons said, as well as the greatly increased need for battlefield awareness - you can be murderous 1 on 1, but if the rest of the army has advanced off while you were fighting and isolated you it can mean an inglorious death in a ditch pincushioned with arrows. Well, that or sprinting 500 metres in chainmail pursued by minotaurs, orcs and an undead dragon...

• Locked thread