Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rghayati
Dec 29, 2007

allgore posted:

I can't believe I've read the 1st 13 chapters three times and am planning to read it again. This is great storytelling. I can't believe they hook you into a "quirky girl sees people as robots" plot and then it becomes a grisly unpredictable adrenaline rush. Chapter 14 can't come soon enough.

I've read serially-published works where the story... meanders, or loses track of its characters, or devolves into the author trying to one-up their previous ideas with twists and surprises that come out of nowhere and don't resonate. But Qualia The Purple is like watching an author become more and more focused, more and more driven, taking things that would just be errant details to their logical conclusions and then driving them back into the plot like sharp knives. Really I... I don't know if I've ever read anything else paced quite like it.

Chapter 14 can't some soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'm really impressed with the trail of concepts that gets us to where we are. I know it's based on a novel but I have to wonder which part of the plot was the original seed of an idea.

Did they go from funny girl sees people as robots to girl uses quantum theory to break between universes and chase her obsession or vice versa? It really is amazing how they shifted from one to another. Just like Manabu's shift from caring and understanding friend to murderous and obsessed reality traveller. It's crazy trying to bridge the two but it's done well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That description is a bit wordy for what Gaku's become. Planeswalker or Miss Manhatten suits her better at this point.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And another that falls on the trap. I just read the 13 chapters in one go! Cute girls doing cute stuff... I mean cute girls discussing Copenhagen interpretation vs Many-world theory. As some already said, the evolution of weird girl with slight yuri overtones to more serious stuff (the killer, secrets hidden) to quantum vengeance is great. The moment where the mc notices she has infinite tries and in one of them she will get her goal, whatever happens, is really powerful (and it's also interesting her flaw, she has to discover the right problem to solve). How she became obsessed with it and leave little by little her persona of normal teenager girl is also well done.
The last two chapters are kind of reminding strongly of Stein's Gate, btw, for obvious reasons. In both you have a kind of time traveller that travels passing the information of his mind to his other self, and it's obsessed with saving his dear one from death because a mysterious evil organization yadda yaddda. Which work is the oldest?.

This come from a LN, right? Was it long? Can we determine the length of the manga basing on it?

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 22, 2013

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

This come from a LN, right? Was it long? Can we determine the length of the manga basing on it?

Regular novel, 2 volumes I think. And the manga is already complete as of last month, at 18 chapters total.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ok, I supposed we were at least past the first half of the story, I was right.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Qualia truly is the gift that keeps on giving :stare:

As to the suggestion that she ask Yukari for an upgrade, what kind of upgrade? A superior cyborg body? Should she just literally become the Terminator? Because honestly I'd be okay with that!

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rodyle posted:

Qualia truly is the gift that keeps on giving :stare:

As to the suggestion that she ask Yukari for an upgrade, what kind of upgrade? A superior cyborg body? Should she just literally become the Terminator? Because honestly I'd be okay with that!

She should become a magical girl.

allgore
May 24, 2002

Adios Bitches
Looks like she's left with only body parts after the murder. Since she doesn't seem to be able to prevent that happening, what she really needs is the skills/ability to fix someone from body parts and assorted junk laying around. I don't know if that's possible since that takes a very rare skill, but since she seems to have time on her hands she might be able to tackle it.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

allgore posted:

Looks like she's left with only body parts after the murder. Since she doesn't seem to be able to prevent that happening, what she really needs is the skills/ability to fix someone from body parts and assorted junk laying around. I don't know if that's possible since that takes a very rare skill, but since she seems to have time on her hands she might be able to tackle it.

Install repair functionality for Gaku. Then Yukari winding up dismembered isn't a problem. We can rebuild her. We have the technology.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

allgore posted:

Giving Yukari a new brain would be making a new Yukari. Her plan is to save Yukari, not replace her; she's not that far gone yet.

allgore
May 24, 2002

Adios Bitches

Roland Jones posted:

Giving Yukari a new brain would be making a new Yukari. Her plan is to save Yukari, not replace her; she's not that far gone yet.

The brain is one of the parts that's been recovered and stored in a jar so we're in the clear in that regard. All she's got to do now is build a body to host it out of kitchen utensils or dog toys or whatever

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

allgore posted:

The brain is one of the parts that's been recovered and stored in a jar so we're in the clear in that regard. All she's got to do now is build a body to host it out of kitchen utensils or dog toys or whatever

Oh, thought people were suggesting building Yukari a new body out of what's left after the murder, not the post-Jaunt infiltration stuff, since she's abandoned that idea for now. That would be... Interesting. Don't think it'd be the best idea though.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

veekie posted:

Install repair functionality for Gaku. Then Yukari winding up dismembered isn't a problem. We can rebuild her. We have the technology.

If Yukari is installing any functionality for Gaku, I really hope it's a fix for being an obsessed murderer. I mean, we do already know Yukari can do that, because of the bit with the serial killer.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Just checked out this manga and it was kinda neat.

I wonder if one of the Gakus was the serial killer at the beginning, that led to Yukari fixing her arm with a phone to begin with.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Just checked out this manga and it was kinda neat.

I wonder if one of the Gakus was the serial killer at the beginning, that led to Yukari fixing her arm with a phone to begin with.

I don't think that would work. She doesn't time travel within any particular reality, which would be necessary for her to be in two places at the same time; she swaps between realities. Plus, it's pretty iffy whether she can go back before the phone anyways.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Is there a chapter past 13? Where are you guys getting all this stuff about upgrades? Are you reading raws or from the novel or something?

Or is it just speculation?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

Is there a chapter past 13? Where are you guys getting all this stuff about upgrades? Are you reading raws or from the novel or something?

Or is it just speculation?

Just speculation. It's only been translated up to ch 13, but the full manga is only 18 chapters, as Insurectionist mentioned earlier.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Awesome chapter, goddamnit Manabu. :smith:

I think part of Manabu's problem is that no matter how many skills she accumulates every time she restarts its always as a 16 year old Japanese highschool student with no assets, she needs to cheat at the lottery once or twice and maybe stockpile equipment.

trucutru posted:

The rules of Japanese young-adult story telling demand an extremely melodramatic ending, tears and sacrifice are a must, alongside a bitter-sweet finale.

You know, this trend really shouldn't piss me off as much as it does but it really does. This is why I absolutely do not mind the more syrupy shows like K-On because they're the drat exception.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think part of Manabu's problem is that no matter how many skills she accumulates every time she restarts its always as a 16 year old Japanese highschool student with no assets, she needs to cheat at the lottery once or twice and maybe stockpile equipment.

I dunno. She's tenacious/obsessive as gently caress, but she doesn't seem to solve problems creatively. Her big idea about how to save Yukari in the first place was literally just a brute force attack on the problem. Maybe if she approached the problem from a different angle, came up with some clever tricks, or loving told Yukari what's going on she might meet with more success.

Resources are part of it, but I think they're pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Telling Yukari would be interesting, yeah. Gaku can reset things and has the knowledge of so much stuff, but as people have said she's still a (fit, super-knowledgeable) teenager. Yukari, on the other hand, can tinker with reality. She has a literal robot army. If she were told what were coming, she could probably figure out a way to prepare for it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Telling Yukari would be interesting, yeah. Gaku can reset things and has the knowledge of so much stuff, but as people have said she's still a (fit, super-knowledgeable) teenager. Yukari, on the other hand, can tinker with reality. She has a literal robot army. If she were told what were coming, she could probably figure out a way to prepare for it.

I think Gaku won't tell her because she wants Yukari to remain the innocent caring girl she's always been. Maybe she thinks that if Yukari learned about her fate it would break her somehow and she would no longer remain as the sweet, innocent weirdo Gaku remembers her as.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

ViggyNash posted:

I think Gaku won't tell her because she wants Yukari to remain the innocent caring girl she's always been. Maybe she thinks that if Yukari learned about her fate it would break her somehow and she would no longer remain as the sweet, innocent weirdo Gaku remembers her as.

And if that happened, Gaku could still go back and undo it!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I just powered through all the chapters currently out, and while I'm really enjoying it and can't wait for more, the more I think about it the more I'm disappointed it basically became insane-stalker-Steins;Gate. The change in tone from the really interesting what-does-Yukari-see to the still interesting but done-to-death parallel worlds plot just bothers me. It doesn't help that the I would have rather found out what the hell was with Yukari's abilities and the plastic models and how she managed to take apart and rebuild humans the way she could. It just feels like they took two separate but very good manga and shoved them together to create an attempt at a whole.

That said, there's still plenty we don't know, so maybe it'll all be wrapped up and I'll be happy. I found myself glued to each chapter, and my problems only arose once I had time to think about it.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Yeah, as much as it's been a wild ride I think the story could've really benefitted from a slower burn. The turn from "heh girl who sees people as robots, cute" to "Reality jumping quantum assassin Gaku" happens so fast it gives you whiplash. Things are moving along so fast that you get the feeling some plot points are not getting the attention they deserve, Yukari seeing people as robots now seems entirely irrelevant in the light of Gakus quest.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I actually am getting kind of bored by I MOVE LIKE LIGHT Gaku and am waiting for the moment I speculate is coming where Yukari finds out, frowns and tuts, then fixes her arm (either by lopping it off in some kind of fight with her robot allies or just adjusting it quietly), which disconects Gaku from the endless cycle of stupid poo poo that she's gotten into.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
I'm wondering if the real problem is even perceivable to Gaku. Maybe whatever is killing Yukari is only evident to Yukari's robot-people-vision.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm wondering if the real problem is even perceivable to Gaku. Maybe whatever is killing Yukari is only evident to Yukari's robot-people-vision.

I hope the solution is meeting a Jaunt student with the amazing ability to see large insurmountable organizations as cute puppies.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Abitha Denton posted:

I hope the solution is meeting a Jaunt student with the amazing ability to see large insurmountable organizations as cute puppies.

Who's a good conspiracy? You are! That's right!

Does Jaunt want a cookie? Yes? Sit. Shake. Okay, now don't murder innocent teenagers for their brains. Good boy!

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If Yukari was able to see that the murderer from the first part was the only culprit capable of killing, does she see that Gaku is willing and capable of doing it too?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Devour or Fire posted:

If Yukari was able to see that the murderer from the first part was the only culprit capable of killing, does she see that Gaku is willing and capable of doing it too?

Yes, but she has always seen that, remember that she sees Gaku as a multi purpose model, capable of almost anything, this is actually a hint at her becoming gestalt-Gaku. The killer was likely seen as a model purpose built for killing, not just one capable of it, all sorts of people probably show up as capable of killing: cops or soldiers for instance.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Welp I just binged through this yesterday. I want more immediately.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

dog kisser posted:

Welp I just binged through this yesterday. I want more immediately.

Same. The first few chapters kind of dragged, but once this got going it didn't stop until I ran out of chapters to read. Any idea when the next chapter comes out?

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
It's probably been mentioned before, but at this point, the manga is done in Japan. So the answer is "whenever the translator gets around to it."

multivac
Nov 8, 2011

You're a wizard Harry
Isn't Yukari being killed the only reason Gaku is doing all this?
All this interaction and formed gestalt with her other selves has come about from the fact that Yukari is dead, her death is necessary for the gestalt to exist in the first place.
And if she lives, Gaku doesn't bother to become what she is currently. Such world would be completely inaccessible to the Gakus who have been motivated by Yukari's death.
I think this whole crusade against fate is a gigantic red herring, a fundamentally failed branch.
This is also probably the thing she keeps feeling "off" about with what she's currently doing.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Thanks for the link Action Zero, this was an incredible read.

I'm really hoping that this isn't going to conclude with a Butterfly Effect ending where Gaku never meeting Yukari is the key to Yukari not dying. That's where I feel it is going, especially with the moment they met repeating several times.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I did not like the philosophy of mind parts. They got a lot of the more important details wrong, though the author does ask the right questions - what is it about Mary in Mary's room that would lead her to have something that she did not have before? That's the proper contention against the question-begging inherent in the analogy, that a complete neuroscience would somehow lack a way to experience color without having seen color; or, alternatively, that it's just plainly disanalogous because color-knowledge is set apart as something that she can't know, while she's said to know "everything about color," so the conditions for the thought experiment are themselves flawed.

I do like very much the physics parts. It's nicely speculative such that a 101-level understanding is actually totally fine to base a story around. And the story really picks up there, too, I can't wait to get to the next chapters. Fast-paced but lean, intriguing, well-told. I dig this manga.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Agreed posted:

I did not like the philosophy of mind parts. They got a lot of the more important details wrong
Do keep in mind that most of the stuff about that was two high school girls just hanging out shooting the poo poo. That kind of context makes me think that a 101-level understanding is actually totally fine to base their conversations around.
:ironicat:

In other news I desperately need chapter 14. Why is it not translated yet?

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 26, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

ActionZero posted:

Do keep in mind that most of the stuff about that was two high school girls just hanging out shooting the poo poo. That kind of context makes me think that a 101-level understanding is actually totally fine to base their conversations around.
:ironicat:

I'm referring more to the author's explanation at the end of chapter... Six? I think? - Again, author is asking the right questions about and obviously there's some artistic license at play, but this is just a peeve that I can get over once I've got a little goonsay off my chest since it's something that I actually care about for real and even Frank Jackson, who originally put forward the "What Does Mary Know?"/Mary's Room argument for qualia (an insubstantial, immaterial experience that is not part of knowledge) eventually gave up trying to defend it because it's just deeply flawed. The funny thing is I think the author understands intuitively what's wrong with the argument based on the kinds of questions put forward but I don't think that understanding extends beyond the superficial presentation of the argument itself. There's a reason that so many former P/M-state philosophy of mind specialists have gone over to, as one notable philosopher put it, "materialism, or something like it." Hold-outs like Nagel or Putnam would have been a good choice as they tend to have a little more nuance to their arguments while still having the same basic thrust that there's something beyond knowledge in experience - they're still arguing for qualia, just, much better.

short version: the Mary's Room argument sucks, but if it's what inspired the author to do stuff in the first place I don't really care because this is one of the most clever and fast-paced mangas I've yet to read :) I really like it! Don't think I don't just because I've got a thing about it that's not s'good. It's hard to get a good understanding of the concepts at work especially when there are so many of them, and I'll totally give the author a pass for messing that bit up given how well the story pulls you in. Great storytelling doesn't require perfect philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ActionZero posted:

I've been legitimately tempted to try and put together the money to bribe the normal translator/a talented group into just finishing off the whole damned thing in one go.

Not sure what it'd cost, but I'm pretty sure more than I'd be willing to pay.

• Locked thread