Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Good stuff

Well things sure do keep developing and confuse! Why was it required for Alice to shoot her? Why not do it yourself? And why does Alice appear to both want and not want to kill Gaku?

Thanks for the update!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Mindblast posted:

Well things sure do keep develop and confuse! Why was it required for Alice to shoot her? Why not do it yourself? And why does Alice appear to both want and not want to kill Gaku?

Thanks for the update!

That Alice understood that Gaku was using her, so that particular world became useless to her. Gaku found "fitting" that Alice was the one killing her, allowing her to change world again.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Well things sure do keep developing and confuse! Why was it required for Alice to shoot her? Why not do it yourself? And why does Alice appear to both want and not want to kill Gaku?

Thanks for the update!

I think the answers to your questions are that Gaku sees Alice killing her as proper justice for how badly Gaku has screwed her over so many times and manipulated her. Alice wants to kill her because she knows she's been manipulated and that Gaku still to a significant degree has used her as a tool, but she doesn't want to kill her because she still loves her.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Furious Lobster posted:

Oh even more pages - fairly curious to see what Alice is the key for; is this the last chapter or do we have some more goodness remaining?

There are 21 chapters total. Still more than enough time left for something completely unexpected.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Desuwa posted:

There are 21 chapters total. Still more than enough time left for something completely unexpected.

Actually the main story chapters are only 18, so there is this chapter and the next one.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009
Really? Then what could the last three be? Here's hoping for at least a little bit of Yukari gaiden.

There now exists a world where Yukari meets Seki's robot family

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
I liked how this incident demonstrated once again how inhuman Gaku is. She literally spent half a lifetime working toward a goal and had no qualms about casting it all aside and starting from scratch. She views wasting multiple decades of work as of absolutely no consequence.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hey, she's got all the worlds in the time.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Sindai posted:

Hey, she's got all the worlds in the time.
I know. I was just pointing out that it's a completely alien perspective compared to that of humans. An extra 40 years of work doesn't even register to her.

duvel
Dec 13, 2008
So they made the obelisk from 2001: A Space Odyssey?

duvel fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 17, 2014

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Flying Fish posted:

Really? Then what could the last three be? Here's hoping for at least a little bit of Yukari gaiden.

There now exists a world where Yukari meets Seki's robot family

1 extra: Yukari has a crush on their classmate Kasoku Tomonori... because his robot form is equipped with an enormous drill
2 extra: Gaku tries to fly using her robot form powers.
3 extra: Gaku and Nanami giving swimming lessons to Alice and Yukari in the school pool

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

duvel posted:

So they made the obelisk from 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Nah, it can't be anything nearly that mundane.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I think it's interesting that happy Alice still has her dyed hair. So the next time around she deliberately kept her insecure about her childhood or something.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dr_Amazing posted:

I think it's interesting that happy Alice still has her dyed hair. So the next time around she deliberately kept her insecure about her childhood or something.

I was under the impression, Alice never took the shoot and that allowed for her project to get completed.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I was under the impression, Alice never took the shoot and that allowed for her project to get completed.

I'm pretty sure the loud sound effect in the lower right corner of that panel that starts with PAA (Ji? be? I can't really tell becuse the bottom of the characters is cut off) is a gunshot.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Ardeem posted:

I'm pretty sure the loud sound effect in the lower right corner of that panel that starts with PAA (Ji? be? I can't really tell becuse the bottom of the characters is cut off) is a gunshot.

PAN! Definitely a gunshot. Blond Alice is a different world.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Factor_VIII posted:

I know. I was just pointing out that it's a completely alien perspective compared to that of humans. An extra 40 years of work doesn't even register to her.

Seriously, how many lifetimes has she run through that 40 years is just nothing? In terms of experience, she's terrifyingly ancient.

Actually, come to think of it... can she even actually die now? Since she's just been booted back each time it's happened thus far, it seems like even if she manages to create a happy world with Yukari, when she reaches the end of her lifespan she's just going to be forced back into the cycle.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Once she figures out the key to keeping Yukari alive in one branch of reality, she then has access to an infinite number of similar branches. They get married and became architects! They elope and become astronauts! They stay platonic perfect friends while being the most successful musician of all time.

She can live out her happy fantasies forever and ever and ever. Her story will never end.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
Well, I guess she could just get Yukari to uninstall the cell phone.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009

I don't know, Gaku pops in and out of existence constantly, but what keeps Meta Gaku going has always been her objective. She might finally be able to "die," that is, settle down and stop permuting reality, if she achieves her goal. What does she always say, that she 'no longer has any use for this world?'

Also this manga has me considering the implications of the act of mousing over a spoiler.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

Though then the hivemind would never know if that Gaku was truly successful, meaning it is likely it would continue to exist (just without that specific Gaku as a member).

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Actually, can't the Gakus drop out of the hive mind at will? The first one to fall in love with Alice did.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Well, that wasn't so much dropping out at will as it was being killed by a more "Alpha" Gaku or the collective as a whole. Interesting that the Gaku who loved Alice was killed or kicked out of the Gaku hive mind, but her approach looks like it will be the one that works after all. I wonder if the Gakus are like "Oooh, we really shouldn't have erased that other Gaku. She was onto something!"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

The cellphone stopped being a part of her reality bending powers quite a while ago.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Flying Fish posted:

I don't know, Gaku pops in and out of existence constantly, but what keeps Meta Gaku going has always been her objective. She might finally be able to "die," that is, settle down and stop permuting reality, if she achieves her goal. What does she always say, that she 'no longer has any use for this world?'

Also this manga has me considering the implications of the act of mousing over a spoiler.

This seems like the most likely method. Gaku exists mostly as a concept now, all she has to do to self-terminate is to decide that she is without purpose and cease to be--or at least what we now know as Gaku will cease to be, this collective. It's unlikely that unincorporated Gakus across the multiverse will vanish from existence.

I can't think of another logical method by which she could die, given that her life is effectively limitless.

Xoidanor posted:

The cellphone stopped being a part of her reality bending powers quite a while ago.

Well, she did muse on whether or not it ever actually gave her this power, awakened it, or simply provided a focus to expand her awareness to allow for new possibilities. She could "remove" it like Nanami "removed" her parts early in the story--by pretending they were never there.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 18, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What's going to happen if Gaku figures it all out anyway? She's spent centuries trying to get this done. In the end she's going to find a 13 year old girl with no intention of having a romantic relationship. It's going to be the worst friend zone ever.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

What's going to happen if Gaku figures it all out anyway? She's spent centuries trying to get this done. In the end she's going to find a 13 year old girl with no intention of having a romantic relationship. It's going to be the worst friend zone ever.
The quest for the world with the lesbian robophilic Yukari will then begin.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Factor_VIII posted:

The quest for the world with the lesbian robophilic Yukari will then begin.

So bit of bad news. Typing up translations is probably going to be delayed. A lot of keys on my laptop have started failing and it's making it a real bitch to try to type anything up.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Dr_Amazing posted:

So bit of bad news. Typing up translations is probably going to be delayed. A lot of keys on my laptop have started failing and it's making it a real bitch to try to type anything up.

That sucks man, same thing happened to me. My laptop had the following broken keys: space, z, b, ', and some numbers I think. I had to get a wireless keyboard to work around it as I needed it too much to send it to get serviced. I think you can get a cheap one for 15$ that has its own little laptop style mouse pad, I actually found it convenient enough to use.

It was actually this one but I'm baffled because I sure as hell didn't pay 50$ for it from Bestbuy, weird.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Mr. Fowl posted:

Well, she did muse on whether or not it ever actually gave her this power, awakened it, or simply provided a focus to expand her awareness to allow for new possibilities. She could "remove" it like Nanami "removed" her parts early in the story--by pretending they were never there.

Nanami didn't remove anything, those parts were still there as far as Yukari was concerned. They're just not there from anyone else's perspective because Nanami's quantum state resolves differently for every other observer in the world than it does for Yukari. What made Gaku different was she was somehow able to exist in both states simultaneously, like her own observation of herself didn't cause her to resolve into a single state, it was only when other people were around that the phone didn't exist.

If she no longer needs the phone to contact other versions of herself, then it's possible she always had this ability and the phone just gave her an easy way to trigger it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Do you guys think some variation of Roko's Basilisk will end up being featured? Or is that probably too obscure even for this Manga?

RationalWiki posted:

Roko's basilisk is a proposition that says an all-powerful artificial intelligence from the future may retroactively punish those who did not assist in bringing about its existence.

It sounds disturbing and dystopian enough to wind up here maybe?

duvel
Dec 13, 2008
In a sense it's already happened. Gaku's already gone and brutally murdered people that made Jaunt in her attempts at stopping it early; that was the method she chose instead of doing something like stopping the founders from meeting or otherwise crippling its rise. She also decided to brutally take care of Alice's mother simply because Alice was unhappy with her mother in other timelines. I suppose the actual basilisk is a little more active in its punishment, which is not something Gaku cares about.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Have there not been any more scans, or are you two taking a well deserved break?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Ardeem posted:

Actually, can't the Gakus drop out of the hive mind at will? The first one to fall in love with Alice did.
I think it was the one who spoke to the first one to fall in love with Alice was the one to 'drop out'. Or at least the 'Prime' switched focus from 'not' to 'did'.

NowonSA posted:

Well, that wasn't so much dropping out at will as it was being killed by a more "Alpha" Gaku or the collective as a whole. Interesting that the Gaku who loved Alice was killed or kicked out of the Gaku hive mind, but her approach looks like it will be the one that works after all. I wonder if the Gakus are like "Oooh, we really shouldn't have erased that other Gaku. She was onto something!"
No, you're thinking of the first one who thought 'Maybe it isn't possible to save Yukari.

Suaimhneas posted:

Nanami didn't remove anything, those parts were still there as far as Yukari was concerned. They're just not there from anyone else's perspective because Nanami's quantum state resolves differently for every other observer in the world than it does for Yukari. What made Gaku different was she was somehow able to exist in both states simultaneously, like her own observation of herself didn't cause her to resolve into a single state, it was only when other people were around that the phone didn't exist.

If she no longer needs the phone to contact other versions of herself, then it's possible she always had this ability and the phone just gave her an easy way to trigger it.
Wait, wasn't it that it didn't work in the light, at least originally?

I'm not sure if that's still a restriction; kid Gaku seemed to be able to speak in the light just fine with the lights on. I'm not sure if the limitation got surpassed, or if it's more the case that 'it visibly looks like a phone, of course it works like a phone'.

But it would be interesting of someone became all light, everywhere/when, and that's why Gaku couldn't call in the light.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

Have there not been any more scans, or are you two taking a well deserved break?

Gaku determined that an English translation of her actions was detrimental to Yukari's safety. RIP in peace Dr_Amazing

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Kgummy posted:

Wait, wasn't it that it didn't work in the light, at least originally?

I didn't remember that, but it turns out we're both right.

I have absolutely no idea why it wouldn't work in the light, though.

Edit: unless it was that she wasn't observing it if she couldn't see it, I guess?

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

ViggyNash posted:

Mostly just waiting for Dr. Amazing at the moment since he said he was having some computer trouble. I've got some text going, but the next few pages get into crazy physics talk again, so I'm going over it a few times and waiting for his version.

With the free time, I've also been reviewing some of the previously translated pages to make sure I didn't make any big goofs: helps to not view it for a bit and then come at it with some fresh eyes. In particular, I get a little worried when I 'stylize' the text a bit to make it flow better; you gotta make sure you draw a balance between keeping the original meaning of the text.

Also, as a bit of a break, I just watched all of Steins;Gate! That was a heck of a ride, and it was very interesting to see many of the lines I've translated for this story come right back at me in Steins;Gate, particularly the inevitability of Mayuri's situation and how it was as if the world decreed it to be her 'fate'.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, there are definitely some parallels between the two. Steins;Gate is one of my faves, and certainly the best visual novel adaptation I've seen.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

FutureCop posted:

Also, as a bit of a break, I just watched all of Steins;Gate! That was a heck of a ride, and it was very interesting to see many of the lines I've translated for this story come right back at me in Steins;Gate, particularly the inevitability of Mayuri's situation and how it was as if the world decreed it to be her 'fate'.

It's pretty much the same subplot, just handled slightly differently. Also, Steins;Gate was more concerned with the down-to-earth human drama of the situation, whereas Qualia wants to find the edge of the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I just read about this company and I kept thinking of Qualia the Purple.

• Locked thread