Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Factor_VIII posted:

I don't think the serial killer had any special powers; she was simply a sociopath that was incapable of empathizing with other human beings and thus felt no qualms about murdering them. In chapter 6 it was said that she confessed, so I think that Yukari simply reprogrammed her so that she could feel empathy towards others. I think it makes sense she never came up again; after Yukari's operation she was just a normal girl who was behind bars.

PS: The fact that Gaku cannot link up to herself when she possesses someone else seems to indicate that she can only possess one person in any given universe. So much for the idea of Gaku possessing everyone so that the only beings left on the planet are Yukari and the Gaku hivemind.

In hindsight, the serial killer seems as though she will mean a lot more in the greater context of the story. She was inhuman, unable to relate or empathize with others; a monster. These are essential traits that she shares with what Gaku has become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Factor_VIII posted:

Oh yes, I agree. The parallels between what Gaku has become and the serial killer are quite striking. I don't think that the serial killer will be reapearring though. Her turning up and Gaku going "Oh no, this is what I've become!" would be too unsubtle.

Well, I wasn't necessarily saying that; just that the killer is more important than initially thought and has greater/more lasting significance to the story because of the parallels we can draw.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

snucks posted:

Of all the crazy concepts that keep getting thrown at us, default Hatou Manabu is maybe my favorite. A wonderfully creepy idea that's maybe best left as a sidenote.

It could be that Gaku herself is a pawn, and some equally powerful entity (maybe Gaku herself) has been training her to realize her full potential through the ostensibly easy stint of saving a high school girl from dying. There's clearly some saboteur working directly against Gaku's interests, but it's unclear what/who it is yet, and the past chapter has made the concept of identity pretty arbitrary.

Read in a certain light, the whole story is a postmodern whodunnit intent on deconstructing who, dunn, and it.

Given that she hasn't considered the impetus for all this in a long time, that could very well be.

She shouldn't be asking, "What am I doing wrong?" She should be asking, "Who called me that first night?"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Factor_VIII posted:

But she immediately realized that she had called herself. It was just another part of the nascent Gaku hivemind.

But she didn't experience what she did later, the fusion of memories and experience--the wavelength did not collapse. I still think it's a possibility that the original caller may be a force separate from the hivemind. While it is recognizable as Gaku, it may still be a representative of another force entirely, with different motives.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Flying Fish posted:

I don't know, Gaku pops in and out of existence constantly, but what keeps Meta Gaku going has always been her objective. She might finally be able to "die," that is, settle down and stop permuting reality, if she achieves her goal. What does she always say, that she 'no longer has any use for this world?'

Also this manga has me considering the implications of the act of mousing over a spoiler.

This seems like the most likely method. Gaku exists mostly as a concept now, all she has to do to self-terminate is to decide that she is without purpose and cease to be--or at least what we now know as Gaku will cease to be, this collective. It's unlikely that unincorporated Gakus across the multiverse will vanish from existence.

I can't think of another logical method by which she could die, given that her life is effectively limitless.

Xoidanor posted:

The cellphone stopped being a part of her reality bending powers quite a while ago.

Well, she did muse on whether or not it ever actually gave her this power, awakened it, or simply provided a focus to expand her awareness to allow for new possibilities. She could "remove" it like Nanami "removed" her parts early in the story--by pretending they were never there.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 18, 2014

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Squidster posted:

...what.

Is this the first time we're seeing a universe after her quantum self discards it, or is she shedding her corporal body entirely?

:suspense:

Well, she's determine that while human observation is powerful, it is not all-powerful. They may observe the box, but the observer still stands within a larger box.

Gaku, I assume, is moving to an even bigger box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This is one of those series that is great, but would make for an amazing slice of life show.

• Locked thread