Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I need to check the forum index a little more often, that was an amazing read. Thanks for posting this thread! (And I've sent the recommendation on as well.)

ActionZero posted:

I don't suppose anyone who's better at image editing than me could make a decent avatar of the front-most Gaku in this page? I tried but I'm terrible at anything like this so it keeps coming out looking like poo poo. Tried lightening the dark background but it had horrible results.

Like this? (Lightened the background somewhat and added a vignette effect to highlight her face more.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That's the most obvious thing I get from this story: It's just as much an exploration of what storytelling is as it's a rather odd science fiction mystery-fantasy-ish thing. It isn't even subtle about it, c.f. the (so far) two cases of "when does a story begin". In the end, the story we hear is the one the narrator chooses to tell.

Although it worries me a bit how much we get told through exposition. At chapter 11 Gaku is explaining about what she did and what happened to her after getting into Jaunt, but none of it directly. I think that might be a sign that it isn't actually the "true canon" storyline, but rather one of the "more likely" ones. With that in mind, the way the "many years later" meeting between Gaku and Tenjou was told directly and neither of them seemed to be really affected by Marii's death. That leads me to think that that episode was in fact the best possible outcome, and is in a universe where Marii never died, possibly never went to Jaunt at all.
On the other hand, for Gaku to even be able to find such a universe/world she might have needed that potential time at Jaunt we're getting told of currently. Quite likely, Alice helps Gaku figure out what is really possible for her, in some manner. The possible Gakus we have seen to far have had some level of precognition about possible outcomes, but none of them have been able to communicate back in time as that first phone call to herself warning about Marii's upcoming death.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

CrackedWindow posted:

Ah ok. So does she live out each timeline one by one? Her different approaches to questioning Alice leads me to believe she can switch whenever she wants. Unless i'm missing something here.

No, they are all happening at the same time (if you follow the many-worlds interpretation), or are only possibilities that never actually occurred (through quantum state collapse, under the Copenhagen interpretation). The many-worlds interpretation is possibly easier to understand/explain: In that model, Gaku is able to access the memories and knowledge of all other potential outcomes of her actions, and that allows the narrating Gaku to tell the stories that never happened to her-of-that-world, as well as the one that did happen to her-of-that-world. All of them happen/could happen, but we only hear the story of some of them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

With 'Gaku prime' I was talking about the one we as audience are following in the story, are you telling me that there aren't one and we're following the Gaku that fits better to the narrative?

Check the last page of first chapter and the first few of chapter 7 again. They deal with "how and when does a story start", where I'd say the answer is "the story is what the narrator tells". The narrator for this story is some Gaku that knows of everything she tells, so it would have to be one who at least can access the memories of all those alternative ones that didn't really come to be. The entire thing is being told in past tense too.

Actually, drat that's a lot of foreshadowing in chapter 7, the "11 years later" part. Sounds like it might even be a world where Marii never died?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

While this is also an interesting sci-fi-ish thing, I really read it as an experiment in narrative. "Here's a story I could have told, but it's actually not so interesting by itself, so have a different version instead." It essentially becomes a tale of tales being told.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So, yeah. She is in fact a super robot. What a rocket punch!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

You might not like the next page then.

The power of love :swoon:

(This is the craziest magical girl/robot I have seen. Please change, Gaku.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

FutureCop posted:

More updates, yay! http://imgur.com/a/iaymY

Tales from translation land: Ironically, the thing I spent the most time on wasn't the translation, but the word placement for the "magical punch" battle-cry.

Agree with you, the first one (vertical "magical", horizontal "punch!") works the best. It's really a quite neat effect with the word breaking its bubble, but it doesn't work when both do.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I still prefer to think of this manga as a sort of meta-narrative. We are reading a narrative about all sort of different ways another narrative could go, and more or less having the narrator getting stuck in a thought pattern. Some paths of the inner story get explored in greater detail, some get a single frame, and some barely even get a word but are still implied as considered.
Yes, this is pretty much just making an analogy between quantum mechanics and literary methods, but I think it works as an explanation for why we see the story we do.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think Gaku learned how to observe the entire multiverse at once, by Alice's painting, and then by observing it all she also controls perception of it all. And that allows her to observe herself away.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

By the way if you like meta-narrative stuff, also consider reading some of Jostein Gaarder's novels, in particular Sophie's World and The Solitaire Mystery. They aren't really heavy reading, but I remember them as decent.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Was Gaku always that much taller than everyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gaku gave agency back to Yukari and that magically saves her?

• Locked thread