Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

sunburnedcrow posted:

I do enjoy what is currently going on with the series, however I've been burned by a few times where the stories end abruptly with a unsatisfactory ending. Perhaps, I am just being too cynical.

Don't worry; if the series ends in a bad way, you can always collapse that form and transfer your narrative consciousness to a world that has an ending of your choosing.

Man oh man, I am loving this story. I've always found it fascinating when the comic medium uses an interesting way to express a thought process beyond normal comprehension, much like Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen. It's like brain stretching exercises; I'm exhausted from the mental gymnastics of trying to comprehend her thought process, much like trying to compress a 6d figure into a 3d world. If I had one complaint, it's that sometimes I feel it is being too narrative/word-heavy to express the ideas instead of using the art, and that can turn some people off, but it's so drat good nonetheless.

I can't even imagine the toll this is taking on Gaku mentally; like someone said, I can easily see Gaku becoming much like the serial murderer, where she has been through the process so many times and lived so many lives that her being transcends her own body, and people become more of an obstacle or a chess piece to be moved instead of living things just like her. I feel like her consciousness is stretching to reach all of these different 'copies' of herself, and yet at the same time, she is starting to lose her concept of 'self'. Or maybe it is only we, the reader, that condense her into one 'self' at a time for narrative purposes, oversimplifying the grandiose process that is occurring for her. I am reminded of a passage from Hellblazer I enjoyed, describing a cosmic travel through cyberspace:

"Synapses flash and pop, like flashbulb supernovae as the particular passion of my being is caught up in a sub-atomic slam-dance.

Consciousness is snatched by electron rip-tides and thinly spread through infinite spatial black, leaving thoughts — rare sleeping islands — separated by oceanic eternities.

I’m stretched, elastic life wound in a double helix round the universal pole

resonant, my being tuned to everything.

Now, contraction catapults my soul into a new, triumphant birth. Rhapsodic, bathed in perfect grace, I sail for eons

But, transient as elemental thought, my voyage lasts but brief mellennia.

Sweeping on a high, wide spiral turn, my ship of rapture founders, grounded on mortality’s reef.

Particles reassemble and memories coalesce around my swelling sense of self.

I must start the long return to dull corporeality and reclaim my body’s tawdry clay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm going to pop these up a page at a time as I finish them. A word of warning that updates will probably be sporadic, poorly formatted and may contain errors. I invite anyone else to take a look at the RAWS and feel free to step in with corrections.

I've only got the first page so far but I hope everyone is ready for things to get nuts.

I tried to translate these back in the day, but it proved to be quite a daunting task and I got too nervous. It was difficult to tell if my interpretation was correct, especially with all the "i think therefore i am" stuff flying around. So, big kudos to you in taking on this task. Though I don't have much confidence in my translations, I'd be happy to help with formatting and such to make the pages look nice and neat.

As an example, feel free to peruse these. They contain my original translations that I did back in the day. A little bit different, but I'm glad to see that I was on the right track (it took me forever though, whereas it looks like it took you one day! they don't call you amazing for nothing).

I wanna be clear that I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here; I've seen the drama that can happen with simultaneous translations. I'm only showing these pages as a demonstration of my formatting and the like so that I can help this manga get fully realized.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

This page was pretty tough. I'm not really confident that it's completely right but I think I got the general idea. For extra reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copenhagen_interpretation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

Hahaha, this was the exact page that I stopped at originally. Already the translation was difficult because 1)the "subject" that was talking was never easy to determine, given that there are many "me"s and they constantly switch perspective quantum-ly, and 2) once she reverted to a child she started to interject "baby talk" which is hard to parse through. But this was the final straw: once it starting going full quantum physics on us. It's such a difficult obstacle to surmount.

The story is so cool though. From what I can gather, when she reverted to being a child, she realized that her previous self wasn't using the full power of parallel worlds. Adult Gaku was only doing basic time-travel: go back to the start, try something different, learn from mistake, repeat. Child Gaku realized, though, that there might not be a way for "the" Gaku to save "the" Yukari she knows. But, by going to a completely different parallel world that operates on different starting rules, she can be "a" Gaku that can save "a" Yukari. She has thrown away her ego to save the original Yukari and is now trying to save "any" Yukari....I think.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Exercu posted:

My interpretation of that scene, though I might be wrong because, well, you read the Japanese, I didn't, is that Gaku critically hasn't gone to a different parallel world. All she has done is find a parallel her from a world where magic is possible. Gaku is able to do anything any Gaku can do, so having found Magic-Gaku, Prime-Gaku is able to do magic as well. She simply asked for the result "being able to use magic" without having to bother with trifles such as whether learning magic is actually possible in Gaku's universe.

It's difficult to explain, but I totally agree with you and I think we're on the same page. In fact, I think this is the difference between the Many-Worlds and Copenhagen interpretations that Gaku was referencing.

My interpretation was close to the Many-Worlds interpretation: Gaku is looking for an ideal world where she can save Yukari. The world she traversed multiple times as Gaku-Prime with different branching paths from trial and error in the timeline didn't work out. Gaku has determined that the reason the world didn't work out is because the starting variables of Gaku-Prime that were given by that world were not sufficiently powerful. Therefore, she looks for a world where there is a magical Gaku, and she then assumes that form. It's as if she traveled to another planet where there's a magical Gaku, became that Gaku, and will save Yukari in that world.

Your interpretation is close to the Copenhagen interpretation: Gaku needs power to save Yukari; a power much greater than Gaku-Prime, a mere human, ever had. If we consider the vast amount of parallel worlds and the infinite possibilities they bring, there must be a world where magic exists and Gaku and use magic. And since that world exists, then upon collapsing those realizations into her original world, Gaku realizes that she "had magic all along" as the one true reality. The world is the same and Gaku is the same, because Gaku is all Gakus from every world, thus she has all the powers of every Gaku.

I think my brain is bleeding out my ears.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

So I don't interrupt the Dr.Amazing's chronology in this thread, I've put my translations into an album which I'll update separately. It's my hope that by combining my translations and Dr.Amazing's translations, we can come closer to a fuller understanding of this manga, since it is such a beast to translate.

The album can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/iaymY

Thanks to Ottumon for explaining levels in photoshop; can you believe that when I used to cut out the Japanese text, I used to clone stamp in the texture of the paper on the hole to make it look seamless? With levels, it's such a breeze!

And again, big thanks to Dr.Amazing for translating and everyone else for discussing the manga so the translations can inherit those thoughts.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Album (http://imgur.com/a/iaymY) has been updated up to where Dr.Amazing left off. I took some liberties with the whole 'magical girl' thing to have some fun with how it was presented. I think it fits the mood, but I always fear that sometimes I go too far when I take small 'liberties' to either 1)say things in a more understandable manner for an english layman or 2) try to capture the 'mood' behind the words, if not the literal words themselves. Let me know what you think, as it's easy enough to edit it around.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

More updates, yay! http://imgur.com/a/iaymY

Tales from translation land: Ironically, the thing I spent the most time on wasn't the translation, but the word placement for the "magical punch" battle-cry. It's difficult to decide on how to write the words, especially when the manga uses incredibly vertical word balloons that don't handle horizontal english writing well. Of the three variations that I have in the album at the moment, the one that uses vertical writing for "magical" and then horizontal writing for "punch" works the best because I think that captures how it's meant to be said originally (as in, drag out the yelling of "magical" like "maaagggiiccaalll" and then end it with a quick booming "PUNCH!"). Let me know what you think works best for your reading comprehension; I'll eventually edit the album to decide on just one image.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Now because of Gakus actions, an even more militaristic version of JAUNT gets made and all super powered individuals are sent to the gas chambers or something.

I was thinking the same thing: I'm getting real "X-Men: Days of Future Past" vibes from this comic, if anyone has seen that recently.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

More album updates: http://imgur.com/a/iaymY

I might give these pages a once-over to see if there are any oddities. I like to try to form the language to be as dramatic as possible when necessary, but I hope I don't overdo it.

I'm loving the math talk as well, concerning the concepts of infinity and whether a universe exists where Yukari can be saved. Infinity is a tricky concept as it can almost seem to contradict itself sometimes. For example, by the concept of infinity, there must be exist at least one universe where Yukari is saved. However, by that same concept, there exist an infinite amount of universes where she is potentially not saved. Given Gaku's inability to have some sort of way to search beyond brute force, there exists the probability that Gaku will forever get it wrong because there is always a potential that she will pick an incorrect universe. The key factor that I think is missing is time, which Gaku does not have an infinite amount of, or at least is something which is not fundamentally reachable. The old phrase "one monkey at a typewriter, given an infinite amount of time, will eventually write the complete works of Shakespeare" comes to mind. As long as Gaku does not have an infinite amount of time, there is no way to 100 percent guarantee that she will eventually find the one universe where Yukari is saved, and an infinite amount of time is an unattainable concept.

To sum it all up, keep Gaku away from any gambling games, as she does not seem to have the greatest luck.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, the saying goes "infinitely many monkeys will produce the works of Shakespeare". The truth of the matter is, according to the laws of probability, as long as you have infinitely many monkeys, you will produce the works of Shakespeare instantly. In fact, Wikipedia has written about this.

That's a very good point, and I wasn't sure phrase which would suit the situation in the story better. The reason I opted for "one monkey with infinite time" instead of "infinite monkeys" was because I think it reflects on how they are writing Gaku. Gaku seems to be operating in a series: going through one experience, failing, then trying again, over and over. This is different from if she was operating in parallel, where there are many Gakus operating independently of Gaku-prime to reach the solution. However, this could simply be because it's how the story is presented to us in layman's terms, and in actuality she is operating in parallel. It's very hard to get a good grasp of how she perceives time, herself, and the world, and the story plays with this constantly by switching points of view. I imagine in the end Gaku throws away all concept of "ego" and "being" in order to stretch her consciousness across the universe, approaching singularity or something crazy like that.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Album update: http://imgur.com/a/iaymY

I really think this should be the thread title.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

:siren: I've finished my version as well: http://imgur.com/a/iaymY

This is quite the milestone! A whole chapter done. Thanks again to Dr.Amazing and the many other "me"s in this thread that contribute, through imitation of light, to making this work.

I'll try to tone down the updates from me so as not to clog up the thread. Instead I'll just give a heads-up once a whole chapter is done. I will say that I do like the style of getting small updates of 3 pages or so at a time, though. Not only do I like the conversations that come from it, which make it such an organic, living experience, it also helps me with my translations, as I'm able to use all the information from pages and conversations alike, bit by bit, to create my version. But, as much as I like it, I'm fine either way.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

trucutru posted:

Yukari never ever existed, Gaku is just loving nuts.

We can all agree that the latter is correct, right?. Homura (from Madoka) would be impressed at her dedication.

As long as we're doing callbacks to the first chapter and seeing foreshadowing:

I always knew Gaku had a screw loose. :rolleyes:

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Dr. Amazing and futurecop, remember that I mentioned how your scans showed up on Dynasty-Scans' forums? Well, people there knows that I'm a goon and so one of the uploaders reached to me looking for a way to get in touch with you to ask permission to upload chapter 14 over there.

I can pass along the message or give you a mail to contact personally the staff of Dynasty Scans (or viceversa).

I really need to get PM for things like this :v:

My stuff is only possible with the help of Dr. Amazing (and the comments from goons in this thread, of course), and since he's good with it, yeah, feel free to have at it. Just let me touch up my translations first with a bunch of watermarks and credit pages and hahahaha just kidding. But yes, feel free to upload it wherever.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

The next bit is getting into some alternative reasons Yukari keeps dying. It's slow going though. The bits where she sits in space and talks about physics take forever. There's twice as much text and basically no context clues. I'll have the next chunk up soon.

I know how you feel; whenever Gaku starts talking to herself in spaaace, it's a nightmare for translations. It's all Copenhagen-this and Anthropic-that. My pace is definitely going to slow down on these pages; I'm doing a rough translation for all the pages and then using the context from all of them to go back and retranslate again, and then probably one more time to make it understandable in layman's terms. It's a pain, but in the end, this story is so awesome that it's a treat.

As a throwback for these 'determining reality through observation' physics, remember that you can go back to the earlier chapters to see Nanami talk about this. She uses similar imagery in describing when reality is determined: is it when one opens the box? When our eyes see the light shape the cat's form? What if there's a bigger box covering us that has yet to be opened by a bigger observer? And so on and so forth.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

:siren: I'M ALIVE! And I bring you chapter 14 and chapter 15 in album form. The original album has everything as well, but moving forward I thought it would be better to separate them so they'd load easier.:siren:

Sorry for the wait all, not only did a lot of stuff come up for me, this chapter had a lot of points where I had to triple-check the meaning of some text. But now I'm back in the swing of things and loving it. Thanks again to Dr. Amazing and all the goons in this thread for the help.

Here's an infodump of a coupla things to help your reading experience:

What's Gaku talking about when she says the reality is decided by group consensus? You can see her thoughts on this matter back here where Nanami has forgotten Yukari and "replaced" her with a happier memory.

What's Gaku mean when another observer above her can change her determined reality? This paradox is alluded to here, where Nanami poses a question on how and when observation determines reality.

Kasoku Tomonori? Who's he?

Gaku can only take the most extreme options? I believe she's talking about Fermat's Principle, which is alluded to in the manga as well. From what I can understand, this quote is what Gaku is referencing: "Fermat's principle is the main principle of quantum electrodynamics where it states that any particle (e.g. a photon or an electron) propagates over all available (unobstructed) paths and the interference (sum, or superposition) of its wavefunction over all those paths (at the point of observer or detector) gives the correct probability of detection of this particle (at this point). Thus the extremal (shortest, longest or stationary) paths contribute into this interference most as they can not be completely cancelled out."

Alice is the key? What's that all about? Check my predictions below!

And here's some of my predictions (no I haven't read ahead):

I believe the "key" that Alice has is mentioned back here. Essentially, it is her unique "perspective" that she has to solve complicated problems in no time at all.
The ramifications of what Alice alludes to on that page brings two things to think about :

1) Alice being able to solve P=NP problems means that she could potentially solve the famous Traveling Salesman problem. The Traveling Salesman problem is a famous optimization problem for route calculation. If Alice knows how to solve it, perhaps Gaku will finally be able to find the ideal 'route' that she must traverse to get the world she desires.

2) Alice being able to understand and bring about the Theory of Everything could bring us to a point where Gaku could understand the very laws of the universe, and by being able to understand and, more importantly, "observe" them, change the universe to bend to her will. This is alluded to in her anthropic principle explanation where she explains that "the present is a result of observations made in the future that change the past retroactively" and that "laws of the universe exist because humans observed them."

Also, I don't think Gaku is able to just "become Alice" to solve her problems. Alice could potentially be one of the people she "can't become", like Yukari. But more importantly, Gaku has said that she doesn't get all knowledge and experience from other people she has become, so it's likely that Gaku wouldn't be able to use Alice's powers. Therefore, Gaku has to make Alice give her the information she wants. And by hook or by crook, she will.

Also, you gave me a heart-attack with that image, Squidster. Spooky!

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 13, 2014

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

Just saw the chapters uploaded on Batoto, and I would just like to say that "Dr. Amazing and futurecop" sounds like the name of a really awesome superhero duo.

Wow, I wasn't expecting them to be uploaded so fast! That really surprised me when I was browsing Batoto just a few hours after the upload and saw them.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

Have there not been any more scans, or are you two taking a well deserved break?

Mostly just waiting for Dr. Amazing at the moment since he said he was having some computer trouble. I've got some text going, but the next few pages get into crazy physics talk again, so I'm going over it a few times and waiting for his version.

With the free time, I've also been reviewing some of the previously translated pages to make sure I didn't make any big goofs: helps to not view it for a bit and then come at it with some fresh eyes. In particular, I get a little worried when I 'stylize' the text a bit to make it flow better; you gotta make sure you draw a balance between keeping the original meaning of the text.

Also, as a bit of a break, I just watched all of Steins;Gate! That was a heck of a ride, and it was very interesting to see many of the lines I've translated for this story come right back at me in Steins;Gate, particularly the inevitability of Mayuri's situation and how it was as if the world decreed it to be her 'fate'.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm back from vacation, and got set up with a new laptop. So let's see if we can get these going again.

Glad to see you again, Dr. Amazing! Guess it's time for me to come back from my pseudo-vacation and help out. Looking forward to it!

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Bakanogami posted:

Extras translations

Wow, thanks for these! It's nice to see something light-hearted after dealing with all this heavy stuff.

If you're willing to, it'd be great to have a third person involved for the translations. Particularly the latest stream of technobabble that Gaku just slammed onto us. I dunno if it's because I'm overthinking it, but I keep feeling like I'm getting the translations wrong or awkward. Maybe the text is supposed to intentionally vague or overcomplicated for a later reveal. I'm just coming off a bout with the flu so maybe a fresh mind will help.

I hope to have some images up soon for what we've covered so far. EDIT UPDATE: And here they are! http://imgur.com/a/T5tPU

ActionZero posted:

Cute Purple Chocobo

Aw man, I just quit this game recently and now you can dye these birds? That's awesome. Can't let myself get sucked back in...but...the colors...

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 23, 2014

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

With the latest chapter updates (http://imgur.com/a/T5tPU) and the amount of technobabble that came up, I was looking up a lot of stuff for reference. Here's a little infodump for you guys:

CHAPTER SUMMARY THOUGHTS

Echoing Dr. Amazing's thoughts on the chapter, it looks like Gaku is drawing an interesting parallel between universal collapse (aka the Big Crunch) and wavefunction collapse when determining an object's state through direct observation. Just like how when you open a box, you collapse a figurative 'universe' of possibilities of 'what could be in the box' into a single state, when Gaku views the Theory of Everything she is collapsing the possible universe into a single point: a singularity. However, she also connects this to the cyclical nature of the Big Bounce theory, where a Big Crunch leads into a Big Bang, over and over and over. Viewing the Theory of Everything seems to cause the collapse, which ties in with Gaku's views on the Anthropic Principle, where the laws of the universe are determined by human observers, and affect the world retroactively.

BIG BOUNCE

We've probably all heard of the common 'ultimate fates' of the universe in school, such as the Big Freeze, where the universe continues to expand until heat death, or the Big Crunch, where the universe eventually collapses into a singularity. The Big Bounce is a cyclical model, where the universe loops between Big Crunch and Big Bang: the universe is born from a Big Bang, expands until a point where it eventually collapses with a Big Crunch, which births another Big Bang. Most of the differences in these theories seem to be about dealing with singularities, which, as casually as we talk about them, are incredible physics-defying events. The Big Bounce seems to presuppose a kind of repulsive force, a 'bounce' that avoids the illogical Big Bang singularity.

IMAGINARY TIME AND QUANTUM TUNNELING?

There's a brief throwaway line by Gaku that mentions the transition between "real time" and "imaginary time", where "imaginary time" is another axis on a time graph (we usually think of time as a single line going left-to-right/past-to-future, but imaginary time is a way to graph time beyond that, in a standard two-dimensional state. I don't understand it quite well since it's obviously a bit beyond me.

The best quote I could find to sum this up is this from Steven Hawking:
--------------
It now appears that the way the universe began can indeed be determined, using imaginary time," Stephen said. We discussed this a bit. Stephen had been using a mathematical device in which time is replaced, as a notational convenience, by something called imaginary time. This changes the nature of the equations, so he could use some ideas from the tiny quantum world. In the new equations, a kind of tunneling occurs in which the universe, before the Big Bang, has many different ways to pass through the singularity. With imaginary time, one can calculate the chances for a given tunneling path into our early universe after the beginning of time as we know it.
"Sure, the equations can be interpreted that way," I argued, "but it's really a trick, isn't it?"
Stephen said, "yes, but an insightful trick."
---------------

And of course, feel free to read articles like this one: http://www.hawking.org.uk/the-beginning-of-time.html

LAPLACE'S DEMON AND FUTURE PREDICTION

When Gaku was talking about how finding the Theory of Everything is a way to reach/predict tomorrow's future, it reminded me of Laplace's Demon:

"We may regard the present state of the universe as the effect of its past and the cause of its future. An intellect which at a certain moment would know all forces that set nature in motion, and all positions of all items of which nature is composed, if this intellect were also vast enough to submit these data to analysis, it would embrace in a single formula the movements of the greatest bodies of the universe and those of the tiniest atom; for such an intellect nothing would be uncertain and the future just like the past would be present before its eyes."

Basically, if one can calculate positions/movement of all objects in the entire universe using the theory of everything, then you can calculate the future position of all objects. Therefore, you could theoretically tell the future.

However, this falls down a bit when you consider chaos theory/free will/uncertainty/quantum mechanics and such. Gaku did seem to address this, though, in that she said that the Theory of Everything could be further unified with other forces other than the four fundamental forces, such as consciousness.

I'm giving a really generalized explanation for some of these to try to get them in layman's terms; definitely look up some of these if you are curious for more information, as quantum mechanics and universal theories are still ever-changing, even to today. This manga is so fun to read because it really makes you want to look up and read this crazy stuff!

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

poo poo I've had the next 3 done for a little bit now. I was going to try to get the next chapter done all in one go and got stuck on that bit about autism. I was sure I was misreading those kanji. Here's what I had.

http://imgur.com/wKL6zvp
http://imgur.com/SxlP0mg
http://imgur.com/w0g5iNM

At this point I wouldn't mind just sitting back and reading someone else's translations. I'm not sure how easy it is for you but it's probably better than waiting month for me to try to get through the next chapter.

I definitely don't mind waiting for your translations Dr.Amazing; they've been very helpful throughout this whole process and I know I definitely couldn't have gotten anywhere without them. And, as other people have said, having many translators cooperatively working not only enhances the final draft, but works on an interesting "meta"-level when one considers the story of trial-and-error. I like to think that this thread is providing a very nice journey in the translation process that isn't seen when you just read manga straight, and it's providing opportunities for people to stretch their legs and find that they can do much more.

Speaking of other "me"s, let me know if you still were gonna have a go at those extra chapters, Dareon. As tempted as I am to do them myself, I'd hate to eliminate an opportunity for someone else to have a go. After all, you might end up liking it a lot! It's silly, but if you do put it together, consider making Gaku say "Behold!" when she fires the eyes beams; just can't resist a little subtle referential humor when it fits the story.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Boy, has it been quiet here! Guess I took a bit longer than I expected to remember that I was working on this... at least it fits with the 'meta' of this thread in that the time between the last event in the manga and now would take some considerable time, I imagine.

Kyte posted:

Apparently somebody decided to take FutureCop's gallery and post it without noticing it's not the complete chapter.

Well, we can't have that, and we definitely can't end our journey just yet! Here's the chapter in full: http://imgur.com/a/T5tPU (though I've seen some of the other reader sites post the chapters with the pages out-of-order, among other errors). Many thanks to Bakanogami and Dr Amazing for the assistance, as usual. Onwards and upwards!

(oh and thanks to KC Green's Gunshow for the above image)

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Ta-dahhh

Album will be updated at: http://imgur.com/a/NUGcq

More information after I get some sleep...

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Glad to see everyone's liking the latest update. Sorry for the wait as I wasn't sure what was going on, but I figure it's been long enough that I can try working from the rough scripts that I wrote up awhile ago. I feel a bit more confident in this chapter for my translations, but again, if anyone wants to dip in, let me know (especially if I'm talking nonsense).

Gyre posted:

I saw a translation of 17 floating around 4chan, but it wasn't typeset.

That's a shame; we can't let 4chan beat us to the punch! I don't know my way around their boards (and I might want to keep it that way, haha) but it might be nice to compare/contrast with that translation if you know where it is.

Fellis posted:

The power of friendship has transformed Gaku into a god. Peak shonen?

According to my roommate, it sounds like Gaku has transformed into a Boltzmann Brain, which is like peak science. I'm still reading about it, but it seems to fit the definition of a 'lone, formless, disembodied brain that fluctuates in and out of reality through the chaos of our universe.' Though I do love the fact that it can be thought of in many different ways, such as Gaku being a god, or being a narrator, in a meta-way.

Reading material for those interested:
Wiki for Boltzmann Brains
Thermodynamics - What are Boltzmann Brains?

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Man, how does this manga do both drama and comedy so well...at the same time? It's like an Edgar Wright movie or something!

(As a side note, if it's not obvious, the font changes to indicate when Gaku is 'speaking' or 'narrating': Italics for narration, normal for speech.)

Also, thanks for all the links to the other translations: skimming over them, it's good to know that I wasn't that far off from anyone else. I'm trying to work hard on making the language flow very well and capture the intrinsic meaning of each line, without sacrificing too much of the literal semantics, so I hope this can be a good 'final draft'.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

a kitten posted:

Can I ask that someone (maybe FutreCop himself) makes a post with some sirens or something when the full chapter 17 is complete? I hate reading them before they are done. It's bad enough of cliffhanger to hit the actual end of each chapter!

Thanks!

You got it; I'll make sure to put the ol' flashy lights on display when the time comes.

Kaelan Zero posted:

Modifible -> Modifiable

Hah, thanks for catching this! I'm going back and making updates to typos and such in the album, so it will be reflected there.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I find it weird that after the mostly solid science everywhere else they bump the age of the universe up to a "hundred billion" instead of just shy of 14. I mean, 14 billion years is still a mind-fuckingly long time you don't really need to add another 90 billion to it.

I found that very odd as well, and it might be a translation mistake on my part, but oddly enough, all the other translations seem to be the same as well. I was going to put it around the number you suggested, for obvious reasons, but I was giving Gaku the benefit of the doubt. If someone wants to double check, the number she throws around is: 百数十億年

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

According to Google, the first character can translate as either "hundred" or "numerous". So she might just be saying "a lot of billions of years" rather than giving an exact number. I want to say I've heard that's fairly common in Asian languages, giving an exact number instead of just saying "a lot", and we probably do it a million times in English too.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

/\/\/\/\ yeah, what he said.

It's probably just being used euphemistically. "Many billions of years," like the stereotype of "I'm going to make a hundred friends" just meaning "lots."

Oh, it definitely it something like that. There is no actual concrete number, but rather a range of numbers due to the 数 modifier. I'll double-check and edit the album afterwards, but I might end up hedging my bets with something like "several billion years" instead of my current translation, since it seems to carry the same emotional weight. But who knows, maybe Gaku has a reason for such a huge number: maybe she went beyond the age of the universe through quantum tunneling, or is factoring in the entire multiverse, or blah blah science talk.

Oh look, more pages:

:qq:

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 17, 2015

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

:ohdear: Uh-oh

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 21, 2015

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Take off your science caps, it's time to get your philosophy on!

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

It's all going to pieces...

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not sure practically how much I really agree with Yukari. I mean sure, Yukari should be the one observing herself great. But its not like she died of natural causes or to benefit the many as some sort of noble sacrifice, those would be tragic but at least they're ends that her friends can accept after mourning but inevitably can move on from.

But to Gaku Yukari is in one parallel or another seemingly always dying because of an malevolent outside force and seemingly always as a result of malice (with the exception of being despair driven suicide that one time), I can get behind the idea of that being a simply unacceptable result if you have the means to alter it. If I have super powers how is it not my responsibility to do good and protect those I care about ala Shirou.

I mean yes, Gaku is incredibly possessive and horrifying in the lengths she ended up going To Do What Needs Be Done where the ends justify the means but on the other hand is it really fair or justified for her to do nothing?.

I can accept it if Yukari is arguing that she should have a say and be given the chance to try to defend herself on her own power with support from God-Gaku where-need-be but just accepting her fate is-to-die even I would call bullshit.

I agree that Gaku and Yukari's assessment of the situation doesn't fit perfectly, but these things can happen when a huge situation in analogous to a smaller situation. For me, at least, this seems to be affirming that the story all along was one of dealing with grief, and going through the stages thereof. Gaku made a mistake that she couldn't accept: she was unconfident and weak and pressured Yukari into going to Jaunt, which lead to her death. At the funeral, she goes from feeling that the situation "isn't real" or "not really happening" (denial) to immediately lashing out at Alice and various other people (anger) to cope with the situation. Then, quantum physics is used as a beautiful analogy for the bargaining phase: the exaggerated infinity of multiple universes is used to represent the neverending emotional chaos of "what ifs..." and "if only i..." that we ask ourselves, over and over again. Only now has Gaku been able to move outside of this never-ending loop of blaming an infinite amount of other factors and look at her own responsibility in these events. And in turn, maybe come one step closer to acceptance.

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

sorry to chime in late on this, but I would read this as "hundred and some odd (lit: some decades) billion years". The second kanji is commonly used as a placeholder to estimate "lots" instead of a specific number. Remember the japanese language accounts for units a little bit differently; my take is that this "approximately/lots" is regarding the tens column(the third kanji), which in turn regards the unit of "a billion years". So, you have a "hundred and some-tens billions of years"
sorry if you already figured this out, I'm trying not to look at the images until the full chapter :v:

Yeah, you're right. I forgot that the character for "lots/several/range" is to be used before, not after, the number it is modifying, so yes, it should be something like "a hundred and tens of billions of years", something like a range between 110~140 billion years. It's still confusing considering the age of the universe, but it is what it is. I'll go back and modify the album shortly.

Insurrectionist posted:

bare should be bear in the second image last panel.

Whoops! Thanks for catching this. I've fixed this up in the album. I'm a little surprised; I never thought I would screw up a homonym.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Didn't mean to leave you guys on that cliffhanger for so long (though I do like making it dramatic) but I got a bit sick. It's only one page for now, but it should let you breathe a bit. I'll try to pick up the pace to make up for lost time.

Also, finally got that year thing figured out, hopefully for the last and final time. I was adding an extra zero when Gaku was actually being correct the whole time and keeping it within the range of the age of the universe: 13.7 billion years. I've gone back and edited the other pages to reflect this.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Hmmm, that's an interesting direction for Gaku. Feels like it'll get solved somehow though.

Are you sure you're not Yukari? You seem to be as nonchalant as her about this whole thing, as you can see below in the next pages:

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 4, 2015

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Give us some answers, Yukari!

Man, this is some real existential stuff. We've been so far in the land of quantum physics that it's interesting to return to the philosophical land of the qualia. I don't remember the film that well, but I'm reminded of 'I Heart Huckabees' and its 'How am I not myself?' discussion scene.

Side notes: Go back to chapter 6 in Qualia and you'll see a lot of the stuff discussed here that Gaku alludes to, such as the parallel lines and the fact that it was only when she accepted the premise that they saw the world differently that they became true friends.

Furthermore, you can look back in chapter 15 to see the various limitations of Gaku's transformations into other people being referenced. You can see that, in a way, Gaku was never able to truly 'see' the world through their eyes. I imagine it more like controlling a video game character: sometimes we get into the game and we seem to 'become one' with the character, but at the end of the day, we step back and see that it's just pretend roleplaying. Gaku might've also been fooling herself thinking it was a genetic link dilution that was causing her to not be able to impersonate some people effectively, when really she just wasn't familiar enough with that person to be able to imitate them. Seeing Gaku's face plastered on someone else's body wasn't just a visual cue to let us know she became that person, it had a deeper message: it was letting us know that really it was just Gaku putting on a wig and pretending she was someone else.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 5, 2015

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

ba-bump ba-bump ba-bump

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

:siren: :siren: WOOP WOOP WOOP :siren: :siren:

CHAPTER COMPLETE, JUST ONE MORE TO GO!

Album can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/NUGcq

Please let me know if you find anything odd that should be fixed: typos, odd phrasing, etc.

Kyte (or whoever else wants to), feel free to put it up on readers if you like so people can check it out.

This was a friggin' great chapter, and as much as I want to post the last images here, I'll leave them in the album so you don't accidentally spoil it for yourself. My feelings can be described quite simply :swoon:

AfroSquirrel posted:

So would that make it a Grand Yurified Theory?

I can't think of a better chapter/thread title than this :golfclap:

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Oh wow, I wasn't expecting all of these other translations to be going on at the same time, though considering how long it was since the last chapter was translated, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that other people thought to pick up the torch. Clearly, this must be the manga attempting to collapse all of its waveforms into a single unified translation.

But yeah, not only did /a/ upload some chapters, it looks like someone named Penguin Zero was trying to translate it as well (and did an alright job on the extras). Furthermore, it looks like it's already been translated in Spanish and Italian? Part of me says to just step back and let the others handle it if they want to, since I do still feel a little amateurish, but I think that I might still try and translate this chapter, since not only does it provide good practice, it lets me really look at all the intricacies of the chapter in depth and, hopefully, pass that experience on to you. Still, let me know if you have any information on what's going on with the other translators.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Well, that was a beautiful ending, right? Science can be so romant-

Oh Gaku...

I know, it's a very small update. Just figured I'd tease you guys and let you know I'm working on it. Also, check out that callback (quite literally) to the end of chapter 8!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

RESTART! (cuz I didn't like the way I phrased the 2nd page)

More updates coming hopefully soon (boy do I have a newfound respect for how some translators get this stuff done in no time at all)

Interesting start to the chapter, though, to say the least. Was it really all just a dream? Are we seeing the Copenhagen Interpretation at work here like we have in previous chapters (most notably the Magic chapter), where there is only one true reality and everything else that transpired has been reasoned out to be a mere dream from the very start? It's an odd reference that probably no-one will get, but it made me think of old Flash comics where the Flash has been able to think, at lightning-speed, of a million possible scenarios and their outcomes, and then make a choice based on those. Gaku may not be able to superposition herself through parallel universes using quantum interference anymore, but maybe she had a secret talent to overthink all along.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 30, 2015

• Locked thread