Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Wandering Knitter posted:

As much as I love the sudden shift into parallel worlds and Quantum physics, I really wish we got a few more chapters of Marii being silly and fixing people/robots.

Everyone else in the story is a robot. Her vision is completely accurate and she really is the only human. She can fix people with spare parts because they actually are machines. People with special powers like the math girl are just super robots like she said near the beginning. Gaku has the power of adaptability and is simply running complex simulations to allow her to choose the best course of action in any situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Are the raws easy to find. I might take a crack at it for myself but it's probably way over my head.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm going to pop these up a page at a time as I finish them. A word of warning that updates will probably be sporadic, poorly formatted and may contain errors. I invite anyone else to take a look at the RAWS and feel free to step in with corrections.

I've only got the first page so far but I hope everyone is ready for things to get nuts.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Maybe you could get in touch with the translating group, as far I remember it was their translator that dropped out. If you can provide the translations they might be able to work on the raw cleaning and editing.

I'm doing my best but I don't really think I'm going to be able to keep up with the speed or quality most translating groups would want. Maybe when I've got a chapter done someone can make it all pretty.

Anyway here's page 2.

This is the first image I skipped over before. It's kind of spoilery though.
http://imgur.com/X7hNBX6

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Last one for today. It's the first page that caused me any trouble. I'm a little shaky on what she means in the first panel. I took it as a "It works because I want it to" or "I think therefore I am" type thing but I'm not really confident.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

FutureCop posted:

I tried to translate these back in the day, but it proved to be quite a daunting task and I got too nervous. It was difficult to tell if my interpretation was correct, especially with all the "i think therefore i am" stuff flying around. So, big kudos to you in taking on this task. Though I don't have much confidence in my translations, I'd be happy to help with formatting and such to make the pages look nice and neat.

As an example, feel free to peruse these. They contain my original translations that I did back in the day. A little bit different, but I'm glad to see that I was on the right track (it took me forever though, whereas it looks like it took you one day! they don't call you amazing for nothing).

I wanna be clear that I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here; I've seen the drama that can happen with simultaneous translations. I'm only showing these pages as a demonstration of my formatting and the like so that I can help this manga get fully realized.

I'm glad to see we seem to have the same idea for most of them. The parts that are different are the bits I was least sure on so I'm leaning towards yours being right. All of my translating so far has been scribbled notes in the margins of printed manga. I never noticed how often I'd skip a tricky sentence until I was responsible for filling in each part. How far did you get? If you're sitting on another 10 pages and you feel pretty good about them it might be better to pick it up from there. I'd definitely appreciate a second pair of eyes on everything.

I'm still going to post stuff as I do them, just because I'm afraid if I don't I'll give up half way through. Once I have a whole chapter I'll put them in a set for the people that are waiting. I'll probably start doing these by scene instead of by page since I kind of need to read ahead to make sure I'm on the right track anyway.

So here's 2 more pages.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I agree myself as well. Any translating I've done before was just for my own understanding. It was something I didn't even think about until I saw the difference.

I'll give the levels a try when I get a chance. I don't have photoshop so I'm using gimp. I'm sure it's got something similar.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Have another 3 pages.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

This page was pretty tough. I'm not really confident that it's completely right but I think I got the general idea. For extra reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copenhagen_interpretation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

FutureCop posted:

Hahaha, this was the exact page that I stopped at originally. Already the translation was difficult because 1)the "subject" that was talking was never easy to determine, given that there are many "me"s and they constantly switch perspective quantum-ly,

This is really bugging me too. She seems to like putting "I" in quotes to refer to the collective, but she also does it a lot when referring to individual versions of herself from other worlds.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Exercu posted:

My interpretation of that scene, though I might be wrong because, well, you read the Japanese, I didn't, is that Gaku critically hasn't gone to a different parallel world. All she has done is find a parallel her from a world where magic is possible. Gaku is able to do anything any Gaku can do, so having found Magic-Gaku, Prime-Gaku is able to do magic as well. She simply asked for the result "being able to use magic" without having to bother with trifles such as whether learning magic is actually possible in Gaku's universe.

This is my take too, but I'm a little scared I'm warping things to fit my own understanding. 3 More pages since they're pretty light on text.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
One thing I don't really get is that in the last chapter she talks about how it would be easiest to just find a world where Yukari doesn't die and live there. Apparently she still can't do that but she can find the world where magic exists.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

NowonSA posted:

I'm giving them moral support. You can't put a price on that, and clearly I should be mentioned in the credits page when the translation is complete.

The above is me being sarcastic, and I am specifying that because typed words do not convey this information. :thejoke:

You joke but it's actually really nice to know that people are enjoying it. So enjoy an unprecedented 4 page update.

Next few are pretty wordy so they'll be a little slower.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Gaku does NOT gently caress around :allears:

Oh, and just for the record Dr. Amazing's pages are popping out already on manga sites' Qualia discussions

Seriously? Link?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

chumbler posted:

Gaku no, stop it. Stop murdering people :(.

You might not like the next page then.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Fun note: If you take a look back, the founder's names forming J.A.U.N.T. was mentioned back in chapter 11.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Qualia-the-Purple/Ch-008--Episode-008?id=168491

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Things continue to be dark:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Chinaman7000 posted:

Glad this series is getting the attention it deserves, even if it must be way more difficult to work through than a regular series.

It's not quite as bad as people might think. The whole thing has furigana which makes it waaaaay easier to look stuff up. I think most of the really hard physics stuff was covered a few chapters back. It's mostly just the weird pronoun stuff.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm actually not really clear myself what happens when Gaku dies, or abandons a world. When she messed up killing Alice, did she just jump back in time, or did a Gaku rot in jail?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

I think at this point either another set of Gakus or someone with the same power is undermining all her attempts. Maybe in the future Yukari starts world war 3 or something.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There's only 3 pages left in this chapter so it should be in the next 24 hours or so depending on how tough they are.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
:siren:Chapter 14 is finished. The whole thing is together here.:siren:
http://imgur.com/a/7kN6J

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm sort of reading this at the same speed you guys are but just flipping through the next chapter has me pretty excited.

Do you guys want me to post them as I finish or just let them all go at once in a few weeks?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Ok I'll put them out probably 3 at a time with a collection at the end. I like getting feedback and corrections as I go. I think there's a definite jump in quality between the first and last pages I did.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I was kind of hoping that Yukari was just randomly getting mugged in the same alley each time or something.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Translator notes:I feel like I'm getting the important info and the general idea correct but this whole thing is pretty confusing. They're using the word "nareru" which means to get used to or become familiar with. I usually replaced it with "link" because I think they mean an information exchange like with the other Gakus.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Just a reminder that "Hatou Manabu" is Gaku's real name. The kanji for Manabu can also be read as Gaku.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
She's done this a bunch of times. At first it was various Jaunt agents and then some second organization. Destroying both of them made room for some third group. So it seems so group will always come after Yukari and will eventually succeed. The new stuff is kind of interesting because it looks like she's trying to disprove the trope where the only way to save someone is to kill yourself.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Anyone ever read that Stephen King book about the guy trying to go back in time and save JFK? The way the time hole worked, he could only go back to a point like 5 years before. So it's this big thing where he has to live in the past.

Poor Gaku has spent like 40 years just by going back and terminating founding members of various organizations. With all her attempts to reset things, Gaku and Yukari have probably spent more time together than any 2 people in history.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Sorry I haven't been around much. I've got 5 or 6 pages written down in a notebook but haven't gotten them all typed up yet.

Anyone can feel free to repost my stuff wherever.

I think one possibility we are ignoring is the serial killer girl. Yukari fixed her the same time as Gaku and she never showed up again. She already had meat powers so maybe now she has something similar to Gaku.

It could also be that saving anyone is impossible. Gaku should pick a random person that gets hit by a car or something and save them. If they die of something else a day later, maybe the problem has nothing to do with Yukari.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Here's some more pages. I'll have a few more soon.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This is the rest of the backlog and brings up to about halfway through this chapter.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Gaku definitely has a problem with the scope of her plans. She could have gotten away with just convincing Yukari's father to not involve her in his police work and that would have been enough to keep it a secret. Plus she's sort of indirectly killed most of Yukari's family as well.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
She still has the capacity to jump out of her body and let non-collective Gaku take over. So she could maybe set things right and have normal Gaku be Yukari's friend, but she'd be sort of cutting herself out of it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The next bit is getting into some alternative reasons Yukari keeps dying. It's slow going though. The bits where she sits in space and talks about physics take forever. There's twice as much text and basically no context clues. I'll have the next chunk up soon.

On the other hand I have a bad habit of looking really ahead and guessing what will happen. I was really looking forward to seeing why Nanami would stab Gaku only to see she didn't really.

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 26, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

quote:

The strong anthropic principle (SAP) as explained by Barrow and Tipler (see variants) states that this is all the case because the Universe is compelled, in some sense, for conscious life to eventually emerge. Critics of the SAP argue in favor of a weak anthropic principle (WAP) similar to the one defined by Brandon Carter, which states that the universe's ostensible fine tuning is the result of selection bias: i.e., only in a universe capable of eventually supporting life will there be living beings capable of observing any such fine tuning, while a universe less compatible with life will go unbeheld.

It looks like there's a few different points of view on it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Sorry it's been a whil but the next bunch should be a lot faster.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I think you may be on the right track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
:siren::siren::siren: Next chapter is finished. :siren::siren::siren:

You can read it all here: http://imgur.com/a/SNFIP

People that have been following along can just jump to the last few pages.

• Locked thread