Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«13 »
Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

Zero is blasting off again!

Let's Play...

The Story:

Mega Man X Command Mission takes place in the 23rd century about 100 years after the events of other games in the Mega Man X series.

A new substance known as "Force Metal" is extracted from the debris of a small meteorite.  New technology based on the metal revolutionizes the field of Reploid Engineering.

So of course the only smart thing to do was build a whole city/island centered on this new technology, mining and smelting the metal so later Mavericks can come in and take it. Let's also make sure there’s no Maverick Hunter base set on the island to protect it. I’m sure there’s some sort of Maverick invasion quota they have to fill per year.

Giga City, where the game takes place, is an artificial island in the middle of an ocean. A takeover of the island is staged by a Reploid named Epsilon, who has gathered others to his cause. They call themselves The Rebellion. What exactly they’re rebelling against is less clear.

But this assult brands him and the others with him as Mavericks, so a call is made by Colonel Redips to the Maverick Hunters for backup. This is where the story begins.

And quickly ceases to make any sense. At least it’s upholding the fine tradition of the later Megaman games.

About the Game:

Despite the game's plot being so easy to lose track of, the gameplay is pretty good. It's a turn-based RPG, which is very different for a Megaman game, with some neat mechanics thrown in to keep things interesting. I am set on finding all the items in each level, getting X and Zero's extra armors, and fighting the extra bosses.

I’ll be playing the PS2 version of this game, so I can’t collect all the extra figurines present in the game, since some can only be obtained in the GameCube version. But the GC version is for masochists who enjoy unnecessarily high encounter rates and hurting their palms trying to spin the C-stick inhumanly fast, although the graphics and sound are a tiny bit better.

About the Let’s Play:

The purpose of this LP is to show off this game to any Megaman X fan that may have missed it, and hopefully explain everything to any others who played this game and were just as confused as I was.

This is going to be a hybrid SSLP, with videos included for cutscenes.

Rules: Please don't post any comments with spoilers relating to the plot, characters, or mechanics that we haven't seen yet or reached the point in the game where they would be obtainable.

Character Bios

Only read after reading the updates as spoilers will be there because I will update it as we go.

The Chapters:

Part 1
Part 2

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Pre-Chapter 3

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Pre-Chapter 4

Part 1
Part 2

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Pre-Chapter 8

Part 1
Part 2

Animated Reviewer fucked around with this message at Apr 11, 2014 around 22:56

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

Class S Maverick Hunter X!

The wussy pacifist X you all know from the previous Megaman X games is a thing of the past. This X's motto is shoot things first, ask questions several cut scenes later. Don't worry though; the questions are still pretty stupid.

I'm glad for the change, X was getting WAY to soft and dumb for my tastes by X7,(and maybe even before than) so the turn around back to his 'I will defend' attitude from the beginning was very welcomed, though threw me off when I first saw it.

Class S Maverick Hunter Zero!

Zero pretty much returns the same, iconic hair and booblights still safely in place. He may or may not have just returned from an extended stay in California, however....

Zero is his normal chatty self and is ready to kick some Maverick butt! However he gets separated from X by the end of Chapter 1, so his whereabouts are unknown.

In chapter 5, Zero is found taking on the Ulfat Factory all by himself. He's slowed down when reaching Mach Jentra, the boss of the area. X and his team show up to help Zero and they take down the Factory.

In Chapter 6 he throws a fit and we lose him for half the chapter before he returns, due to Spider saving him from a cheap shot by Shadow.

Ex-Maverick Hunter Shadow.

While he starts off in the game as a new Maverick Hunter, Chapter 1 barely ends with it revealing he's turned on them all and joined the Rebellion. Kind of obvious this would happen, but what are ya gunna do?

Colonel Redips, A Commanding Officer For The Government(?).

Redips is the one who gave X, Zero, and Shadow the orders to head out to Giga City. Not really much is known about him other than this.

Epsilon, Leader of the Rebellion. Unknown Energy Manipulator: Test Model

Epsilon has come to take over Giga City and all Reploids who live there, claiming to be for Reploid Rights. He must be a very persuasive guy, because he's got quite a few strong Reploids on his side.

Spider, Bounty Hunter

Spider is another new character that joins X after first trying to defeat him for The Rebellion. Losing his friend to a The Rebellion attack changed his mind and had him pick a side.

Spider is an odd guy, but for some reason I find him kind of cool. Maybe it's the whole card theme, reminds me of one of my favorite X-Men, ha ha.

As of Chapter 6, he is dead because...reasons. I donno, it was silly.

Chief R, leader of the Resistance

Chief R was kidnapped by the Rebellion army, but was rescued by X. He took command back and now runs the Central Tower base.

From the little bit I've gathered, he might be a governor, but that's just what I've gathered from design sketches for him. He also seems to be a strategist, according to X.

Steel Massimo, Hero to The Defenseless

Massimo was found breaking into the Tianna Island mine to save his friends. X and Spider find him and they team up to take down the Maverick killing off the Reploids in the camp.

Later it was revealed that the Massimo X and Spider found is not the real Massimo, but more like a student or apprentice... or just some guy Massimo met, it's not really stated. But the Legacy was pasted onto this new Steel Massimo.

Nana, System Operator for The Resistance

Nana was a Reploid kidnapped and used by the Rebellion Army on Tianna Island. When she saw X and Spider break in with Massimo, she made it easier for them to be undetected by the enemy.

Silver Horn threaten to kill all the other Reploids trapped on the island if she refused to work for the Rebellion.

Once X and his team beat Silver Horn, she joins up with them to run the Central Tower's systems.

Marino, The Pleasant Thief

Marino is a thief who used X and his team to break into Gaudile's lab, letting them deal with all the security. She finds Cinnamon, a Force Metal Generator, and decides to steal her since she was what Marino was looking for.

Dr. Psyche catches her and beats her, taking Cinnamon away and leaving Marino to die. Cinnamon had healed her, though just before Psyche took her.

Marino then teamed up with X and his team to take down Psyche and is now joining the Resistance to pay him back.

Cinnamon, Naive Force Metal Generator

Cinnamon was built by Professor Gaudile and was made with the Force Metal Generator, which can create Force Metal or make better Force Metals from others.

Cinnamon was stolen by Marino, though she seems to have gone willingly with her, until Psyche attacked them and took her hostage.

When Cinnamon was saved by X and his team, she decides to join the Resistance to stop The Rebellion, which also gets Professor Gaudile to join.

Class S Maverick Hunter Axl!

The overly confident Axl shows up around chapter 5, having gone to the Ulfat Factory to learn more about himself and his shape changing abilities, since he heard they might have been develop there.

Marino keeps talking about stealing said power from Axl, but never gets around to it. Not that I think she could, but still. She might have dropped the thought by now.

Rebellion Army Defeated!

Wild Jango, "Ultra Mobile Bobcat Reploid"

Jango was the Reploid stationed at the Central Tower and was in charge of getting Chief R to join their group or he would continue to hunt down the Resistance. He also sent Spider, a Bounty Hunter, after X.

Spider ends up betraying Jango and is defeated when Spider and X team up against him.

Silver Horn, "Super Heavy Cannon Reploid"

Silver Horn took over the Tianna Camp and turned it into a prison. Torturing and killing many Reploids, he also imprisoned Nana, threating to kill all the other Reploids trapped on the island if she refused to work for the Rebellion.

Silver Horn is also reponsible for the death of the original Massimo.

X, along with Spider and the new Massimo, took him down when they went to recuse Nana, Silver Horn discovering that she had turned against him and was helping the team get around the island.

Dr. Psyche "Computational Humanoid Reploid"

Dr. Psyche use to be a research partner of Prof. Gaudile, until he joined up with the Rebellion Army. He came back to Gaudile's lab to find the Force Metal Generator that he built.

While Marino tries to steal the Force Metal Generator, which turned out to be a Reploid named Cinnamon, Dr. Psyche defeats her and take Cinnamon prisoner.

X and his team find Marino beat, but saved by Cinnamon's healing ability before she was taken. They join forces and defeat the doctor, recusing Cinnamon.

Mach Jentra "Reinforced Light Armor Aerial Reploid"

Items The Mech Army Have Collected!

Music List:

To be filled in soon.

Animated Reviewer fucked around with this message at Mar 5, 2014 around 19:56

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

Alright! Time to get started, I shall have my text and thoughts in italics.

Video Opening!

Let's dive right in. We open with a cut scene explaining where we’re going and why.

VIDEO HERE!

"and halt the activities of Epsilon's organization, The Rebellion."

"I'm afraid the team that went in before you has likely perished."

This guy is the Colonel. As you can see, he’s the one sending our ragtag team out to the middle of nowhere in a thunderstorm. He seems like a Cool Dude and we’ll probably be seeing more of him later.

"You are our final hope. If you fail this mission, then we..."

"We will have no choice but to launch an indiscriminate assault on Giga City. The whereabouts of Epilon are unknown."

"But, we're getting an energy reading from a certain area of ruins. Survey the ruins first."

So by the way it should be noted that this first area is hella dark. And I don't just mean dark. I mean "Can't see jackshit" dark. The emulator I'm using has fixed this, but playing it on the TV or recording from it, it's so black you can barely see anything.

"Nobody to greet us, eh?"

I mean, in the normal shots, there doesn’t even seem to be a background behind X here. Even here it's kind of dark.

X and his partner Zero are our returning heroes from the Megaman X series; most of the other characters we’ll be meeting are brand new Reploids and are only mentioned in this game. Best of all, no Alia!

"Just as expected... The radio's useless."
"I can't believe they sent only the three of us to infiltrate this huge island. I mean we're good, but I don't know if we're that good."
"A large force would be cumbersome."
"Keep things small and sleek, huh?"
"I'm no great hunter like you two..."

This guy here is our first new member of the Maverick Hunters. Feel free to ignore the diabolical-looking symbol on his chest plate.

"But believe me, I know this island's layout."
"Well, we're in your hands, Shadow."
"Okay, let's move. I know the perfect place for a hideout."

"Are you two okay?"
"X, use those stairs. We'll meet up top."

So yeah, a pillar just came down. Apparently, no one remembers how to jump. I’m pretty sure you could just crawl over that if you’re feeling lazy.

"This could be a trap. Be careful."
"Finders, keepers for any goodies!"

Zero what are you, five? We’re on an official military mission here, and I totally call dibs on anything shiny.

Well now we’re finally given control.

Or not, as Zero immediately has something to say.

"If something happens, I'll be sure to contact you. Be careful."

Now we can move. But first let's take a look at our menu.

The first option in our menu is for our sub tanks. Sub Tanks, like in most Mega Man X games, are used to re-fill your life energy, or LE as it's called in the game.

It's pretty much a portable healing item that you can recharge. In this game, it can be used on one party member or multiple members at a time. You can use it in the middle of battle, as well, so it's very useful to keep full. We start off with two full Sub Tanks, which is what the 200% on the bottom left signifies.

You can refill them through crystal-like objects that hold items inside. They’re this game’s version of a treasure chest. You can also build more by finding Sub Tank Parts. Four pieces will make a whole new Heart Container Sub Tank. So let's try and collect them all, since we’ll probably need them.

We've got items! But not many. All we have is a virus ailment heal and a reviving item. The latter is kind of useless while we're by ourselves, but I'm sure it'll come in handy later.

This is our equipment page. Right now X has his trusty X Buster as his main weapon and two Micro Missiles as his sub weapons. Sub weapons are extra attacks that can be used before the main weapon during the turn of a character.

More statuses are on this page. X is going vanilla at the moment, but we might start customizing this pretty soon.

That's a pretty basic explanation for now, so let’s move onto the next room.

Controls are also pretty simple. The left control stick is for moving the character, and left controls the camera. Square is dash, Circle opens the menu, and Start pauses the game. There is no jump button. The map is Select. I'll post the somewhat rudimentary maps so you can have idea of where things are in the level.

This place isn't very big, so finding items isn't very hard. I probably didn't even need a list of everything next to me as I played through this, but better safe than sorry.

This is a save point. Useful, but not terribly exciting.

These are those treasure chests I talked about. They’re just crystals sitting around the levels. To open them, you use the dash X has and slam into them. I also use his dash to move around the stage faster.

We collect 50z, or Zenny, which is the currency used in this and other Capcom titles, as well as a Build LE. It's a permanent status-boosting item, giving any character 10 units of LE, or life energy. I'm not sure who I want to give it to just yet.

Since the door at the bottom of our map says it's locked, we'll go into the only room we haven't been in yet.

We find a computer that has a screen pop up just for us! I really don’t know why it turned on when we entered the room. I thought these were ruins? They sure have a nice amount of power for being abandoned...

Also, the security here is poo poo and we don’t even need a keycard. Convenient for us.

HOLY poo poo! Jeez Zero, are you watching me?

"Yeah, I found and activated what seemed to be a security termanal. It said some lock was disabled, did anything happen on your end?"
"So, that's how it works! X, the door you unlocked is the door to a place in West Block, where Shadow and I are."
"The systems structured so that the door in West Bock can only be controlled from East Block, where you are. The door in East Block can only be controlled by us here in West Block."

That is the shittiest security system ever. Also how do people not get locked in all the time by accident?

"In other words, X and I just have to control the terminals for each other!"
"Teamwork is vital if we're gonna get through this. Don't be late, X!"

Oh, you assume I'll be late? Hmph, we'll see about that!

There's nothing in this area. It's just a spiral staircase. I haven't gotten into the battle system just yet, so let's go over that now, since we're gunna run into an enemy up these stairs.

Let's start with how the turn-base is in the game. It's pretty straight forward, but as you can see, the bottom right shows whose turn it is and who is coming up next.

On the left you've got your life energy and right next to it is a percentage for special attacks and sub weapons, it's called Weapon Energy. Using your main weapon repeatedly will fill it up over time, which you can use for sub weapons or the action trigger.

When it's your turn, this menu will appear at the top. I'll go into action trigger later when we find an enemy worth using it on.

The WE with a number says how much Weapon Energy it takes to use the Sub Weapon.

These guys are here mostly to teach the player about Action Triggers. They will use observe first, but will attack if I don't get rid of them. SO! Let's go into Action Triggers.

These are the unique special moves that each character has, which you activate by pressing the R2 button. For X, he has a charge shot that spreads. It can attack every enemy on the screen.

Now it LOOKS like you're suppose to tap the button, but no, you're suppose to hold down the X button until it fills up to where you want it.

It can fill up to 100%, but only if you have the Weapon Energy for it. I only have 50%, so that's all I'm using, but that's enough to kill these guys.

Now X does his victory pose. Hooray for murdering small creatures!

Well let's see what—

"I have a feeling you'll find something there."

I really do think Zero is watching me.

The yellow crystals refill your tanks. They also reappear after exiting into another room, so you can go back and refill again if you need to.

Oh wait, I totally forgot to check for treasure before coming in here. Well I'll just step out and—

"I've found them where I am, but I need you to check on your side. Take a look around."

I knew he was watching me. Yeah, he's going make me look around the room first before I can leave.

Ah, all these pods have names on them. And there’s four of them...

They all say this after they tell me the name and type they are.

And just as I finish examining the production pods, Zero calls back with uncanny timing.

"These must be the Reploid production pods Zero mentioned..."

Uh, yeah X, Zero is ringing you up about that. Also I think he can hear you.

"There are 4 pods here. They've all finished production and the Reploids have already left the pods."
"Shoot, I knew it. There are four pods on my side, too. Of course, all the customization was finished."

So eight mystery Reploids in total? That’s not a significant number in this series at all or anything.

"This was my first detail with you, and I'm not optimistic about the future!"
"We're not getting anywhere with this. We gotta check the upper floor. The doors here have been destroyed, so there's no need to unlock them. I unlocked the doors on your side. Now we should both be able to proceed. Time to head to the upper floor!"

A new robot appears! This time it is a cute little doggy! It's called a Wild Patrol Dog.

A weak little fella. There's another type called Wild Rescue Dog which can do more than normal attacks. They can heal, and can inflict a blind status effect.

See? Yellow crystal respawn when you re-enter the room, unlike treasure crystals.

Level up! We've killed enough tiny dogs and bats that I'm now level three. We also have a new item, Anti-lock. It removes a bind effect. Bind is a status effect that slows a character down, which means their turn gets delayed on the turn counter in battle.

There’s just some pocket change in this room.

Eh? Now the security suddenly detects something wrong? It’s in the West section, so I think we can safely blame Zero.

NEW ROOM! Oh wait no, it's another stairway. They look more like handlebars on the map.

So now we’re on the third floor.  I wonder if we're getting any closer to Zero? Surprised he hasn't called us again.

Before we go into the next room, we'll check out these smaller areas. Melt Missile is a new sub weapon. It shoots a missile that brings down an enemy's Shield status by 10%. I'll have to try it out sometime or save it for someone else. For now, I’m going to stick with my basic gear until the next chapter.

And in the next room we have another security door. But it seems different and requires some kind of synchronization. We'll have to come back, so let's check out that other room we skipped by.

Oh dear. More pods? Let's see what we can find here.

Isn't that the dude we're hunting down? So he was made in this place? Just how old are these “ruins” anyway?

Uhhh...This is new.

That can't be good. All the others said they were green and ready to go. Did something go wrong and now we have a crazed Reploid on the loose?

There's Zero calling again. Seems we're finding the same things on each side of these ruins.

"X... How are things on your end?"
"Two were produced here, as well. One of them was... Epsilon!"
"What?! Are you certain, X?! Shoot! What do we do now?!"
"Four high-performance units and eight combat units...That's quite a squadron. No wonder those who arrived first never made it back."
"We'll continue the investigating, X. But we'll have to act cautiously. By the looks of things, I'd say there's something upstairs. We're going up to see what it is."

Right! Let's go—

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Actually, the yellow crystals only respawn if your Subtanks are full when you get them. It's so you don't waste the energy.

Fair warning, since I was planning to do an LP of this myself eventually, I'm probably going to do large posts now and then about the game if you miss stuff. (Provided you're okay with me doing so!) Also, you'd best do every bit of the game. All of it.

You know exactly what I'm referring to.

SSNeoman
Jul 19, 2011

Villain tip: Next time kill
someone I actually like.

And if you hit X's action trigger at 100%, it will always be a critical hit. That goes for both normal X and X Fire.

And man I can't believe how much better the drat dungeon looks with some proper lighting jesus.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Oh wow!

A friend tried to get me to play this game, and from what I did it seemed alright. There was one defining detail that stood out to me though; X now has a scarf.

Made of lasers.

Lizard Wizard
Dec 25, 2004

Khajiit like to WUB WUB WUB

Animated Reviewer posted:

A weak little fella.

I love it. It's like a fat robot Poochyena.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Man I love this game. Nobody better to send on a mission than X, Zero (Who might've been evil in X2) and a random guy called Shadow whose shiftiness you've already pointed out.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Jacobus Spades posted:

A friend tried to get me to play this game, and from what I did it seemed alright. There was one defining detail that stood out to me though; X now has a scarf.

Made of lasers.

I wonder what Dr. Light was thinking about in that Upgrade.

"Enter the capsule X, This Head Upgrade will... er... break poo poo? No, find poo poo? No... look fabulous!"

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

Prythian posted:

Actually, the yellow crystals only respawn if your Subtanks are full when you get them. It's so you don't waste the energy.

I've been stuck on the first stage for so long getting footage, I hadn't realized that. Just shows how long it's been since I've played this, thanks!

Prythian posted:

Fair warning, since I was planning to do an LP of this myself eventually, I'm probably going to do large posts now and then about the game if you miss stuff. (Provided you're okay with me doing so!)

Go ahead! I'm doing my damnedest to collect everything and see everything the game has, since I did not the first time I played. I would not be surprised if I missed something. I would not mind being informed about what I've missed, so in a later update I can go back for it.

Prythian posted:

Also, you'd best do every bit of the game. All of it.

You know exactly what I'm referring to.

...Oh dear. I'm afraid to guess, ha ha ha.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart

Ah, yes, this game! I remember playing the poo poo out of the GameCube version, but I'm not sure if I ever beat it, knowing what I do now about the game. I know I definitely missed out on a bunch of side things, at least. I was also thinking about doing an LP of it, but

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

That's a...very sudden end of the update.

But I'm excited to see more. I really enjoyed this game, but I barely remember anything about it anymore -- just that it's certainly a better game than the last one, even if it's more "if Mega Man X decided to forget it was ever a platformer and wanted to rip off FFX."

I definitely hit 100%, which I was really proud of, it may have been the first RPG where I actually managed to beat all the optional content. That was a...a thing, certainly. And the plot is dumb as hell, but it's saved by the first decent voice actors the X series ever had.

Something I always wondered is if the Colonel is really supposed to be Signas from the main games, they just decided they'd rather change his name for really dumb reasons.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

King Graham:
The Faces of Evil

"This was my first detail with you, and I'm not optimistic about the future!"

Whine, whine, whine. You're lucky we even brought you along, Shadow, what with your probable impending betrayal.

Lizard Wizard
Dec 25, 2004

Wild Knight posted:

Something I always wondered is if the Colonel is really supposed to be Signas from the main games, they just decided they'd rather change his name for really dumb reasons.

He's definitely not. There's at least one upcoming reason he wouldn't be.

Lizard Wizard fucked around with this message at Jul 3, 2013 around 15:01

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

I didn't realize this was up yet, so I'm ready to relive some nostalgia. Also, I know the plot is nothing ground-breaking, but for the sake of the story and any Mega Man X-related history, you might want to add a rule or two regarding spoilers in your OP.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Digital Jello posted:

so I'm ready to relive some nostalgia.

Nostalgia. For a 9 year old game.

I don't... I can't even...

Anyway, I've never played this game myself (didn't bother with the X series after X4), so I'm looking forward to this. It seems... interesting.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

Nostalgia. For a 9 year old game.

I don't... I can't even...

Only 9 years old? Well I only got to play it once, and it seemed like a long time ago.

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

Digital Jello posted:

I didn't realize this was up yet, so I'm ready to relive some nostalgia. Also, I know the plot is nothing ground-breaking, but for the sake of the story and any Mega Man X-related history, you might want to add a rule or two regarding spoilers in your OP.

Ah, yes, thank you for the reminder. Done.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

One good thing I can say about this game is that it uses CTB, which I find to be so much better than ATB that it's not even funny.

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

Oh, right. Hrm. We need to get past this first. Well after trying again, Zero speaks up this time.

"On this floor, the two terminals have to be operated simultaneously."

Well this sounds incredibly simple—

And I fail. I blame Zero.

X can breathe? Uhh. Okay Zero. Keep your tighty-whities on, I'll get this done. I was just a little off.

"Alright! We did it! Heading to the upper floor!"

Awesome! On my wa—

Wait, which government? Are the Maverick Hunters aligned with a specific nation?

"X! When we used those terminals we gave ourselves away! Engaging possible Rebellion troops! Commencing Attack! X! Stay on guard!"

New enemy.

Preon Chaser. There are quite a few different types of these guys. Chaser is the first type we'll be dealing with and we'll keep seeing them in the stage after this.

They have a normal attack, a Bind-inflicting attack, and an Accuracy -40%, Critical strike 75% attack called Greedy. They aren't that hard, but take more hits then the other things we've been attacking.

We got a new item called X Heart. This is a new type of equipment introduced in this game. They’re called 'Force Metals'.

I donno, Zero. They seem just about as lame as anything else we've faced.

"Something must be upstairs. Heading to 4F to investigate!"

Before that, we're gunna talk about Force Metals.

Our party is comprised of a bunch of Reploids, but we're not really going to use the upgrade system from other Megaman X games. Instead, we have the Force Metal system. There is a limit to how much of the metal we can equip at a time. Some of them are stronger than others, but they have a higher Erosion factor. Erosion works a bit like equipment loads in other games; if our total Erosion points on a character exceed their Immunity stat, we’re going to start doing more harm than good to ourselves with our Force Metal.

But for now we only have two so let's put those on.

X Heart is a unique X-only Force Metal and quite useful, giving us a free revive once per battle. Also doesn't take up any of our Immunity points, so we’re free to equip it regardless of what else we’re using.

This gives us 100 more LE. Not bad, I'm sure we'll find better stuff later.

Going up!

This is the 4th floor.

"Looks like we can meet up here. I'll be waiting for you on the central floor."

Treasure!

Ah, we got a Backup. It's another type of revive item, but this revives you to 100%. Reboot only does 25% of a character’s max LE.

And another permanent-boost item. This time it's for Shield status.

This is a room we can't get into yet. We need a key, which we shall get much later on in the game. We'll come back then, so let's move onto the next place.

Zero! We found you at last. I still think if you or X remembered how to wall jump this would have been a lot less inconvenient, but...

"Zero! You're safe!"
"What took you so long, X? You know I can't stand to wait."

Zero joins the party! Just in time too, because we've got a boss battle next.

"Who the heck is that?!"

I donno, Zero. Looks like a hippo to me.

BOSS FIGHT! VIDEO!

Alright! We are fighting Hippopressor. Gotta love how the Megaman games don't care how silly the enemies look.

He's not very hard, but he can destroy you if you don't pay attention. He's mainly here to show the player that basic strategy is needed and that you have to keep mildly attentive to what’s going on in a fight. Just beating on the enemy won't work.

And here the game introduces Hyper Mode, a feature which all playable characters possess.

What you need to be careful of with Hippopressor is the missile on his back. That missile even has its own turn after he's set it for launch. You have to destroy it before it launches or you could lose a party member to the chunk of damage it does.

The hippo's main attack is a six shot round, dealing damage to one party member.

The strategy I use in the beginning is have X shoot the missile and Zero attack the hippo's head. Because the hippo's head is protected from X's attacks, I'll get a message about it every time I try.

Now the game wants us to use Hyper Mode. This is a useful skill that pretty much changes the armor of the character and sometimes changes the Action Trigger skill they have. Doesn't change Zero's from Command Arts, but X's changes.

X-Fire is the default Hyper Mode we get for X. There's another one, which we shall hunt down later. Anyway, his Action Trigger is the same to activate, but he doesn't shoot.

I can't hit the missile in this mode with the Action Trigger or a normal attack, since the Buster Cannon has turned into this electrified-claw. Zero can hit the missile with his melee attack, unlike X. Maybe it's because he's so great at jumping. Like he didn’t do earlier in the level.

Yeah, let's move on.

But I can smack him around. X also gets two new sub weapons to use.

And we blew his head up. Ouch. Now his main attack changes. Because his head is gone, the hippo uses a cannon from its neck, which has a thunder attribute. Also it can cause bind. A lot of enemies cause bind in these ruins.

The cannon is stronger, so we best get Zero into Hyper mode.

Hyper Mode is also not permanent, there's a countdown on it that tells you how many turns it has left. For some reason, X's lasts long than Zero's.

As I said, Zero's Action Trigger doesn't change, so this is what his normal Action Trigger, Command Arts, would look like.

Zero's Action Trigger is a set of different attacks. You have to input as many of the combo command as you can before the timer runs out, then Zero will perform that set on one enemy.
I mess up a bit in the video because, well I am using an emulator and also a Xbox 360 controller. So yeah, I need to get use to that.

This is one other attack Hippopressor has where he body slams you. It's supposed to do some real damage, but I have never seen it actually hit.

Fight doesn't last much longer and we take Hippopressor down. Let’s celebrate a victory against a robotic hippo that somehow busted down an outdoor wall on the fourth floor of an abandoned building and then attacked us for no apparent reason.

Makes perfect sense.

Here’s our report card. I think we did alright. In the GC version of this game, random encounters are higher, and the EXP bonus to fights is much more strict.

Zero and X level up! We also get two new items. Fire Missile is a sub weapon which fires a missile of fire element. Guard Buster is a new main weapon for X. Let's try it on!

Everything improved except for X's speed. Other weapons we will find will switch this around, giving up speed or power. But there's also different element weapons. We'll get more into that when we have more to work with.

For now, I'm putting this on, I have Zero with me, who's real fast.

"There was a door leading to the upper floor in the West Block. Shadow has gone ahead to check on the upper floor. I'll follow suit and catch up with him."

Huh, yeah, what did happen to Shadow?

But before we look for Shadow, if you head to where the hippo appeared, there're some more items for us. These items won't do anything for us now, but we'll hang onto them for later. It's all part of the crafting system in this game. Oh yeah, there is a crafting system. This game has a ton of busywork in store for anyone playing.

After heading out of the room we find Tank Parts. Also some Zenny. Not much else to do, but head to the end of the room.

There -IS- another door, but that's where Zero came out of. And I'd say, 'Maybe there was treasure' but Zero already said he was going to take it. drat.

This is the last stair case, we're near the end. Leveled up X.

Last room!

A Reboot and a Vaccine Program. Kind of meh final treasures. Let's just go to the next cut scene.

[Music Stops]

VIDEO RIGHT HERE

"Yeah... But look..."

...Why does his hair look like sword hilts? And those shoulder pads, my goodness.
"Epsilon?!"

"Indeed, it is I."

"Well, well! So the great Commander came out just to greet us?"
"I have heard many things about you. The great Maverick Hunters... X and Zero. You truly are elite Reploids. Won't you fight alongside us, fight for a common vision?"

What vision? No one has even told us what you’re trying to do yet.

"You're in no position to make offers. This is three versus one, buddy!"
"Oh, but is it?"

"Shadow! No way!"
"Shadow is a believer. He understands our goals."

I'm glad someone does, because I haven't been given much information about what the hell is going on.

"I'll ask again: whose side are you on?"
"Okay, Epsilon. My answer is..."

"Zero!"

"Silence!"

"Show the Commander some respect!"
"Zero, behind you!"

"Zero!"

X maybe you should actually help.

"Zero!"

"Join us, X."
"I don't care what your vision is. You're still a bunch of Mavericks! And as you know, I'm a Maverick Hunter!"
  "Shadow..."

"I can't forgive you."

"You won't get away!"
 "Let him go. He will be back."

"To show the world our vision!"

No poo poo.

Well that's it for Chapter 1. Join me in the next chapter in the next update.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Two things: X can, in fact, hit the missile while in X Fire mode. It's just that the missile is a flying enemy, and flying enemies have an insane chance to dodge melee attacks. The only reason Zero might be more successful in hitting it is that his default attack hits twice, so he gets twice as many chances to hit the thing.

Also, you can totally use the items in those green crystals after the fight. They're Force Metals, just like X Heart and LE +100. Also, speaking of those items, I miss them EVERY GODDAMN TIME. The camera hides them while pointing you directly at the exit to the room!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That was the most obvious betrayal in every RPG ever. Seriously.

alcharagia
Apr 23, 2008

What.
Did you say.
To that horse.

Yeah, both CROSS FIRE, YOU'LL GET CAUGHT UP IN THE CROSS FIRE and Zero have an accuracy penalty to flying enemies because they're melee characters.

Also fun fact: Bat Bones have a 1% chance to drop a Gain Hyper, and since they can't be bought, if you're going for maximum pro strategy it might behoove you to come back and farm them occasionally.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I know it's a JRPG thing to have the mysterious villain wear a cape or a cloak in his introductory appearance, but who thought that would look good on a hulking, muscular beast like Epsilon? Guy's practically wearing a tent.

Lizard Wizard
Dec 25, 2004

I'm probably going to sound a bit stupid here, but what's the difference between Armor and Shield? I actually own the game and never managed to figure it out.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm probably going to sound a bit stupid here, but what's the difference between Armor and Shield? I actually own the game and never managed to figure it out.

Armor is for melee attacks, Shield is for ranged.

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

Prythian posted:

Also, you can totally use the items in those green crystals after the fight. They're Force Metals, just like X Heart and LE +100. Also, speaking of those items, I miss them EVERY GODDAMN TIME. The camera hides them while pointing you directly at the exit to the room!

Oh. Why did I think---Never mind, goes to show how much I pay attention. I'm trying so hard! I shall correct that, thanks!

I think I only have remembered to get them because I have a list of items in front of me in the order you get them, so if I miss something I run right back. Heh~ Yeah it dose hide them. It's easier to see them on the map in the emulator as well, since it's not so drat dark.

alcharagia posted:

Also fun fact: Bat Bones have a 1% chance to drop a Gain Hyper, and since they can't be bought, if you're going for maximum pro strategy it might behoove you to come back and farm them occasionally.

Plan too! But I need to do some...interesting stuff to get what I need to get my luck up enough to make it even possible. Like hell I'm doing it without raising my luck.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Armor is defense for melee and shield is defense for projectiles.

Animated Reviewer fucked around with this message at Jul 4, 2013 around 16:30

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Oh. Why did I think---Never mind, goes to show how much I pay attention. I'm trying so hard! I shall correct that, thanks!

Don't worry. Every time you mess up, I will correct you! Every single time.

Just ask me to stop if I start bothering you/start becoming a jerk about it.

Edit: Also, just because I haven't had anything really positive to say yet... I gotta say, you're using gifs in the updates really well. I mean, sure, it's no substitute for watching the video, but it does add a really nice touch.

Lizard Wizard
Dec 25, 2004

With regards to the GIFs, I would say that you may want to add a bit of a delay at the beginning and/or end of the animation. With no delay it just loops into itself, making it harder to figure out where the beginning is, like here:

Animated Reviewer
Apr 26, 2013

Prythian posted:

Don't worry. Every time you mess up, I will correct you! Every single time.

Just ask me to stop if I start bothering you/start becoming a jerk about it.

Edit: Also, just because I haven't had anything really positive to say yet... I gotta say, you're using gifs in the updates really well. I mean, sure, it's no substitute for watching the video, but it does add a really nice touch.

Nah, it's fine. It helps me out, really. You've been cool about it.

And thanks! I was trying to keep the gifs down to just a few that seemed needed with how the part played out. Some bits were hard to show in still shots because they go by so fast.

Lizard Wizard posted:

With regards to the GIFs, I would say that you may want to add a bit of a delay at the beginning and/or end of the animation. With no delay it just loops into itself, making it harder to figure out where the beginning is.

Ah! Okay, I'll be sure to do that. I'm new to making gifs, so thanks for the tip.

Mehuyael
Mar 17, 2009

I was very into Megaman games when this one came out, so obviously I bought it (though for the Cube). I liked it, but for some reason I almost never actually finish RPGs and this wasn't one of the few exceptions. Trying to recall stuff about this game I seemed to remember this one part that was really repetitive and annoying, though fortunately it was also optional. But if you're doing a 100% run then you'll have to do it eventually, so... Good luck!

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

IBS has never before been such an endearing character trait.

Chalk me up as another person who got the GC version of this game. I even had a GBA SP to take advantage of its exclusive feature. Took forever to get 100% but I am looking forward to this LP. And some of the outright goofy lines. Rip!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Well, that's not how I remembered it at all. I always thought Shadow shot X, and Zero is the one who shot the floor and escaped mysteriously but then again my memory is shockingly horrible. Can't wait for the next chapter though, I believe that's when my favourite character is introduced. Or is it the chapter after?

Lizard Wizard
Dec 25, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Well, that's not how I remembered it at all. I always thought Shadow shot X, and Zero is the one who shot the floor and escaped mysteriously but then again my memory is shockingly horrible. Can't wait for the next chapter though, I believe that's when my favourite character is introduced. Or is it the chapter after?

Don't be silly. How could Zero shoot the floor?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Don't be silly. How could Zero shoot the floor?

He has a gun. He tends to use it whilst charging towards enemies, followed by stabbing/slashing with his laser sword.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Ask me about my stock hellcat!

Oh come on, what kind of Megaman X game would start you off playing as Zero?

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

He has a gun. He tends to use it whilst charging towards enemies, followed by stabbing/slashing with his laser sword.

Not in this game, don't be silly. You can't have Zero have a non-melee attack!

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

Oh boy, I'm super excited for this LP! I'll be following this closely.

I never owned this game (my first home console was the Wii, and I've been unsuccessful finding this game at swap meets), but I remember playing this at a friend's house often (both of us being MegaMan fans, and moms thought we were doing homework). The nostalgia is coming back to me .

I really don't have much to contribute, but I wish you good luck with this LP! You are doing great!

Siselmo fucked around with this message at Jul 5, 2013 around 01:10

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Played the GC version. Only made it to the 3rd boss before I got stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Eat it, Nature!

You'd think X and Zero would be more prepared for this sort of thing with over a century's worth of Maverick Hunting experience under their belts. At least enough to ask what the villains' goal is while they're in a chatty mood.

«13 »