Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
The problem with the show is when the writers decide to tread water and turn it into a ho-hum procedural of office politics that literally no one gives a poo poo about.

It doesn't help that Varys is literally a series regular.

The characters, actors, and dialogue when the writers decide to put effort into it are more or less unparallelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
That video is the most beautiful thing in the world. :allears:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The personal drama on this show is so loving stupid, and I hope the writers begin to realize that the strength is in the comedy and not the drama.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

JohnSherman posted:

Why does it seem like characters have case winning epiphanies at least once an episode?

e: drat it Louis.
It's a procedural thing: crime, law, medicine.

House MD was probably the blatantly worst at it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
In a 5-4 ruling, SCOTUS has struck down any further mock cat trials.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
We also don't know what Mike saw in those dropped documents.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm officially tired of the personal drama.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Social Media posted:

I can't wait for another personal drama season finale cliffhanger to not care about.
Mike ends up having an affair with Bunk.

Rachel goes to community college.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fazana posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I just don't like the base premise of Suits anymore :smith:

The relationship nonsense has been cranked up to taking over the show levels and the sheer number of times everything has won out in the last ten seconds is making the writers of House point and laugh. I just want them to go back to season one where they fought actual cases for or against people in an entertaining fashion and get rid of this overarching "season" long nonsense they've never satisfactorily pulled off. Having a smaller background thread is fine but the Hardman and then the Hessington storylines haven't been worth the screentime at all when it came to the payoff.

If I was the showrunner (and you'll all be glad I'm not) I'd have taken the opportunity to get rid of Mike and Rachel and bring in SASS to join the cast and have Harvey and Louis' dysfunctional relationship as the comic focus of the show and them go back to doing lawyer of the week stuff. Mike really doesn't add anything to the firm anymore that Donna, Katrina, SASS and Louis couldn't do between them to assist Harvey.
Procedurals with good writing tend to turn into, well, just procedurals.

And shows generally tend to drop in quality after the first or second season. Maybe that's what's at work here. The actors are as great as ever, but the writers appear to have grown either lazy or clueless about what to do now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Acquilae posted:

Pearson Litt [Up] Specter IMO

However, even if Louis becomes a managing partner I don't see them changing names since Sheila pointed out the mockery of firms who change their names a lot.
Louis is clearly moving to form a firm with Rachel named "LittZane".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Royal Pains still exists? Good lord.

White Collar is one of those shows that's unabashedly a procedural, but is still pretty fun to watch - more so if you've got the hots for Bomer, I imagine.

• Locked thread