Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
To be honest, anything after 8 is only really enjoyable by playing with other people. Solo is a boring grind after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I honestly have quit playing because the internet in the mall I work at is terrible and the local community sucks. Also the game destroys my battery life

mousefeel
Oct 15, 2014
I was super into ingress from 1-8, but once I hit 8 any interest I had kinda faded away. It was hard work to get from 7 to 8, but it's nothing compared to getting from 8 to 9. I think the lack of any real benefit is what's keeping me from progressing; when I was at 7 I wanted to keep going so that I could hit 8 and use all the awesome level 8 stuff I had, but what reason is there for me to hit 9? More XM? Running out of XM has never once been a concern to me since the update where they upped power cube drop rates.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If it was just more XP it'd be fine, but the medals are a bit ridiculous to get. The fact that you don't gain anything but a huger mana bar is a good thing, otherwise old established players would be stupidly overpowered.

iirc you have to be level +1 to jarvis or ada a portal so a level 8 can't flip a level 8 portal but a level 9 can. That might be the only other difference.

The increased XP has people out doing stuff, which is cool. This was my day yesterday:

Two small cities changed hands more than once during that battle. This is a rural area so six people being in the same place at once is very unusual.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Javid posted:

If it was just more XP it'd be fine, but the medals are a bit ridiculous to get. The fact that you don't gain anything but a huger mana bar is a good thing, otherwise old established players would be stupidly overpowered.

iirc you have to be level +1 to jarvis or ada a portal so a level 8 can't flip a level 8 portal but a level 9 can. That might be the only other difference.

The increased XP has people out doing stuff, which is cool. This was my day yesterday:

Two small cities changed hands more than once during that battle. This is a rural area so six people being in the same place at once is very unusual.

Took me about 2 days before I turned off those email notifications, and not much longer to turn off the application's notifications. Far too annoying, constantly hearing how someone's burst took 1% off one of my portals. These days I just whip out the phone occasionally if I'm bored downtown, do some hacking, flip some portals, I'll hit L7 eventually.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Javid posted:

It's actually -1 - A level 7 player can JV/ADA a level 8 portal

Differences are XM bar and recharge distance. I believe higher levels get a higher efficiency for recharges further away, as well as an increase in max distance

The actual benefit of a larger XM bar is minimal. Like, at 14 I can chug 2 L6 cubes at once and not worry about wasting XM.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
The larger bar is great if you're attacking a close cluster of portals and the enemy was smart enough to put a turret on each of them. That will drain you fast but I rarely ever see that strategy in action. When it has happened, I'll end up putting noticeable dent in my millions of recharge cubes.

STFU Pumpkinhead
Jun 25, 2000

Maker Of Shoes posted:

To be honest, anything after 8 is only really enjoyable by playing with other people. Solo is a boring grind after that.

This. I'm ~100 links from level 9 but holy poo poo was that more of a slog than 1-8. I remember someone (this thread?) saying they played by leveling to hit 8 only to abandon & start a new character, rinse, repeat. That's probably significantly more fun than going for badges. I like Ingress, but that MMO-esque grind is tiring.

Has there been any announcement of a release date for EndGame?

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
I'm quite enjoying 'medal hunting' :) I've been L10 for ages, but I only need two more Gold. Planning trips to hit up enemy areas is quite nice, I've been to quite a few parks and open areas near me that I haven't been to in years :)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

IOS client update just dropped. We can edit and report invalid portals now! Still no push notifications.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Deceptive Thinker posted:

It's actually -1 - A level 7 player can JV/ADA a level 8 portal

Javid posted:

Nope. The player using a virus or refactor has to have the level of the portal x 1000 in xm. So flipping an 8 portal requires at least 8000 xm in your bar, etc. A level six player can flip a level eight portal, because they have xm capacity.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

P_T_S posted:

Nope. The player using a virus or refactor has to have the level of the portal x 1000 in xm. So flipping an 8 portal requires at least 8000 xm in your bar, etc. A level six player can flip a level eight portal, because they have xm capacity.

See...this is what happens when I've been over level 8 for so long and start to forget how things work at lower levels
I can JV/ADA a level 8 portal and it only uses half of my bar

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

This is happening tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/ingress/status/529725299869908992

Ingress posted:

On Thurs 9AM PT, describe #Ingress in 7 words. Exceed 1000 tweets/hour to unlock Onyx Innovator, addl week 2X AP.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
"Your wife's grave? It's a L6 portal."

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
UK Players did a thing today (well, over the last two weeks really, but it finalised today :) )

As most of you hopefully know, it's Remembrance Sunday today, and it marks 100 years since the end of WW1 (Armistice Day is on the 11th) so one player decided that it would be a fitting tribute to blanket the UK with the Union Flag and a Poppy.
I can't imagine how much work and collaboration this took, there were many, many local hangouts created and lots of travel involved - I had to let a load of stuff decay and virus a few of my own portals as one of the links passed directly though the village I live in, but this is the result:

animated GIF (not mine):

IITC pic (not mine):

so glad it worked out, there appeared to have been a more than a few grumbly players upset about many things, but I guess some people would be upset by free AP ... :)

spiny fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 9, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Making people unable to link while under giant fields is really a lovely game mechanic, I don't blame people for being irritated when they log in to one.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Javid posted:

Making people unable to link while under giant fields is really a lovely game mechanic, I don't blame people for being irritated when they log in to one.

Just because it irritates you doesn't make it a lovely mechanic. Without it there's no incentive to take down mega fields.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

When someone throws a giant field over four states and you're stuck in the middle, it's not like you can just go bust the anchor. People will take out enemy megafields regardless.

They finally put notifications into the ios client, but they don't work. :| Anyone else having better luck?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Javid posted:

When someone throws a giant field over four states and you're stuck in the middle, it's not like you can just go bust the anchor. People will take out enemy megafields regardless.

Agent, if you aren't driving 4 states away for the cause, you should turn in your badge. Think about all the unique portals you'd be able to hack along the way and new ones you could submit.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

This would've been an AWESOME game when I was a trucker.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Javid posted:

This would've been an AWESOME game when I was a trucker.

I don't think a truck that actively avoids highways to get more portals and pulls into every church parking lot on the route would be very profitable.

Mail delivery, cops, traveling consultants, and live performers/actors/musicians however, would be set in this game.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Javid posted:

You also get increased recharge range, and being able to recharge portals halfway around the world is something that really helps the kind of person who gets to level 15 or 16.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Playing without other people sucks rear end and I feel really bad for anyone who doesn't have a good local community.

Javid posted:

They finally put notifications into the ios client, but they don't work. :| Anyone else having better luck?
Notifications have been broken for months in the Android client. The game has gotten way too big for them to handle on the backend and the lag in the game itself is aggravating, nevermind the late notifications.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Well, this is neat - I've been granted access to author mission trips!

I don't know if this a rare thing or not, but I'm going to play with this soon.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A guy here said the same, but nobody else has it. Guessing it's a slow rollout.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Javid posted:

A guy here said the same, but nobody else has it. Guessing it's a slow rollout.

I don't even know how the hell I got selected; I'm only L10 and I haven't even been playing a lot.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Everyone level 9 and higher was given access yesterday.

I've had access for a few weeks and I think it was a terrible idea to unleash it on so many people at once, it's pretty buggy and unfinished - there are also going to be so many terrible missions popping up from people that have been only playing for a month or two, and the approval time is going to wind up being as bad as the portal approval time

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Must just not be in the ios client yet. Shocking.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Javid posted:

Must just not be in the ios client yet. Shocking.

It's not in the client - it's a webapp
http://mission-author-dot-betaspike.appspot.com

You need to be "verified" with the in-app/website verification in addition to being level 9

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Everyone level 9 and higher was given access yesterday.

I've had access for a few weeks and I think it was a terrible idea to unleash it on so many people at once, it's pretty buggy and unfinished - there are also going to be so many terrible missions popping up from people that have been only playing for a month or two, and the approval time is going to wind up being as bad as the portal approval time

Is there a way to filter out missions to only show the ones near me or is it going to be even more unusable than before with the flood of new missions?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

chemosh6969 posted:

Is there a way to filter out missions to only show the ones near me or is it going to be even more unusable than before with the flood of new missions?

It should automatically do this, but the filtering system isn't really adjustable or intuitive

When I'm in Providence, I only see all of the RI missions, when I'm in Boston, I only see the Boston missions - somewhere in between I get a mix of Boston, RI, Connecticut, and Worcester missions

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I made it to level 7 just grinding alone and messing up poo poo for the heavily-dominate blue team.

The most fun part of this game is baiting strangers to drive to the tiny park behind my house to destroy a single portal with a single R1, so I can run out to the deck and blow up whatever they put on as soon as they drive away. Tonight I got 4 visitors in two hours.

On a side note, Amazon has this super size 13000mah external battery pack on sale. It even has a flashlight for your late night trespassing. http://slickdeals.net/f/7457162-ank...monday-deal?v=1

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 2, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I wish I'd gone green; blue is absurdly dominant here, and growing moreso. It's downright boring.

On the upside, 900+ of my inventory is munitions. If our side ever forms a war party to another area, I'll have some fun.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Event passcodes:

D5mc9kalij

X9vn3nkgmg

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

eddiewalker posted:

Event passcodes:

D5mc9kalij

X9vn3nkgmg

Hahaha I'm swimming in level 1 resonators!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I needed them today! Thank you!

I think I put down some 200 resos today.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I had no idea what they were. I wrote them down before I realized the iOS client can't use codes.

I ranked pretty well at the AP-contest event just by dropping a single L1s on unclaimed portals then waiting for someone to fire off a L8 burster a few blocks away so I could reclaim all the same portals.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 7, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

You can plug codes into the intel map: https://www.ingress.com/intel

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

eddiewalker posted:

Event passcodes:

D5mc9kalij

X9vn3nkgmg

These codes are fully redeemed.

They were provided for the #ingressfs starter kits, so only have lower level gear and 200 available uses.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Had I known that I wouldn't have used them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Javid posted:

Had I known that I wouldn't have used them.

Whatever. It's only a game.

• Locked thread