Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yes. Google 'iitc bookmarklet'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

So, in in PDX for the next couple of days.

Where's some mission heavy places to play in? I don't have a car, I do have transpo day passes for the Max and tri met.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Click for big.

Who else's in the photo?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Me.

I'm the one wearing green.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Qu Appelle posted:

So, in in PDX for the next couple of days.

Where's some mission heavy places to play in? I don't have a car, I do have transpo day passes for the Max and tri met.

You should go to Omsi.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Meanwhile, at AM-O5-Foxtrot-4 / Guadalajara MX (which was, as you might remember, connected to Portland)...

:whatup:
According to the G+ report, we were the cell with the highest delta worldwide, so there's that at least. I was stationed at the easternmost node. Everything was super stressful because that portal is inside a village in the middle of nowhere and cellphone reception was beyond crap.

Here's an animated gif showing all the activity inside the cell with a 10-minute interval between each frame.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
You frogs put up a good fight. During the third measurement enl had a field up covering the whole city. We still won the measurement but it was really tense.

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction
Meanwhile in Europe:

Tried getting a better shot but my browser keeps crashing. Ah, here we go, umpteenth time's the charm.

shinmai fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 24, 2015

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Dang.

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you

It's legit too:

https://plus.google.com/+JuliaVivienneLoverdose/posts/jNs45gisbpL

https://plus.google.com/+VibekeEika/posts/KwmXsD99xv8

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Are the longer links within rare Link Amplifier range, or did they use those new sponsored ones? Either way, that's impressive!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Map projections are misleading; the bottom side of that is actually longer than the other two.

Looks like they threw it from the two south anchors; the SW one is 7 8s and one 7 with two VR link amps and two of the new ones; the SE one is level 8 with the same mods. All the north anchors are like level 6.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

shinmai posted:

Meanwhile in Europe:

Tried getting a better shot but my browser keeps crashing. Ah, here we go, umpteenth time's the charm.

(No idea who made this. It's been making the rounds.)

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I should make level 8 this weekend. What happens then?
This game reminds me a lot of my time in afghanistan

Edit: we played a lot of Cod and it was always annex mode

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

This game reminds me a lot of my time in afghanistan

Edit: we played a lot of Cod and it was always annex mode

In the game itself, you get to use level 8 gear and you have an increased amount of XM to work with. If you glyph hack a lvl 8 portal, you'll have to remember 5 glyphs instead of 4.

Other than this, what happens at 8 really depends on your local community. You will probably be invited to a lot of farm events because your R8 is needed to make a level 8 portal. In many communities, you aren't fully trusted until you hit level 8, so you may be invited to fielding ops more often.

BarristaSelmy fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 26, 2015

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Honestly my area is so saturated with portals I made level 7 in 5 days.
I've been slacking on my way to 8; walking only about 50km over a month, and about the same distance driving.
I can reach 2 portals from my balcony in my main penthouse. I hack those a few times a day when I'm not staying at one of my girlfrients places.

I dont even know what I'm doing other than hacking, deploying, linking, and recharging
I've been in the local hangout for a while but i've not paid attention to it. 99.9% of it seems like off topic witless banter.

But I love this game so much the first week I bought a new iphone 6 plos and titanium racing bicycle with microshifters and 37 speeds. I've also been almost rear ended about a dozen times when I slam on my breaks to hack a portal I'm driving by. I wonder how many deaths Ingress has caused?

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

The game didn't really start for me until 8. Up to 8 is just an AP grind. After 8 there are no more goodies to get, and you can pretty much walk around and do what you want with impunity. You can keep doing that and eventually get bored, or you can start paying attention to the only thing that really matters post 8 - MU. And to make an impact in MU you're going to need to cooperate with other local players in your area. To me it's the local team aspect that keep this game interesting. Yea there are some weirdos out there and several dull knives as well, but I think the local team here is a great fun group and much more diverse than any other thing I do. Sure I go on weekly HULK SMASH rampages solo still, but it is the coordinated efforts of one group of people vs another group that keeps things challenging. I'd of likely quit the game between 8 and 9 if it weren't for the local team.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I just found my very first Instant Portal Flipping Device (ADA Refactor)! Before I use it, I want to know...

1) Will the resonators on the portal say they're mine, and count towards the limit of X Level resonators I can deploy?

2) Will mods currently on the portal stay intact? Will they count towards my limit of 2 mods I can install?

3) The portal I have in mind is on a walking trail way out of the way from regular traffic, and the guy on the other team has been sitting on it with two AXA Shields for at least a month if not more. Is there any way to check its age? If he's close to getting the guardian badge, I don't mind waiting to flip it until he's earned it-- I'm not a complete dick.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

There's no way to check how old it is unless you can see the capture notification in your scanner. If you flip from the opposing team to your own team all resonators/mods will become yours and will count against the limit you can deploy for each level. If you flip a portal that already has more resonators of a given level on it than one person could deploy they still stay and fall under your name, you just can't add any more of that level until enough get destroyed to bring you below the limit.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Iunnrais posted:

I just found my very first Instant Portal Flipping Device (ADA Refactor)! Before I use it, I want to know...

1) Will the resonators on the portal say they're mine, and count towards the limit of X Level resonators I can deploy?

2) Will mods currently on the portal stay intact? Will they count towards my limit of 2 mods I can install?

3) The portal I have in mind is on a walking trail way out of the way from regular traffic, and the guy on the other team has been sitting on it with two AXA Shields for at least a month if not more. Is there any way to check its age? If he's close to getting the guardian badge, I don't mind waiting to flip it until he's earned it-- I'm not a complete dick.

Yes
Yes
No, but I highly encourage you to flip it before he gets his guardian. Guardian hunting is a legitimate and fun part of the game. It's also one of the few really good tear generators. I collect "You suck" comms screenshots.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

You can't check the age of that specific portal, but you can check that player's profile and see what guardian badge they have.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Javid posted:

You can't check the age of that specific portal, but you can check that player's profile and see what guardian badge they have.

You can also check to see if they have their stats visible on their agent profile. If they do have them visible click to "week" and it will tell you the longest they have currently owned a portal. If they don't have them visible and don't have their black guardian, then it's a good chance that it is a guardian. Also, most people just put an 8 and/or 7 on a guardian so it stays low level and (hopefully) goes unnoticed.

If this was the first ADA I'd gotten I would hold on to it and hope for an MUFG capsule to put it in. Or I would use it for an anchor that had a lot of fields coming off of it. Being on a trail though makes this portal a good anchor so it should be flipped either way.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Barrista posted:

You can also check to see if they have their stats visible on their agent profile. If they do have them visible click to "week" and it will tell you the longest they have currently owned a portal. If they don't have them visible and don't have their black guardian, then it's a good chance that it is a guardian. Also, most people just put an 8 and/or 7 on a guardian so it stays low level and (hopefully) goes unnoticed.

If this was the first ADA I'd gotten I would hold on to it and hope for an MUFG capsule to put it in. Or I would use it for an anchor that had a lot of fields coming off of it. Being on a trail though makes this portal a good anchor so it should be flipped either way.

Huh, didn't know you could check other people's profiles. Yeah, he's got his 20 day guardian badge, but not the 90, and detailed stats are not visible. I know for a fact this portal is at least a month old (it's on a trail I hike for fun). The portal level is 5, with the highest resonator on it a 7. In the time I've seen it, it's only ever had at most two links to it, and has been left untouched even when within a sea of my color. Are low level out-of-the-way portals really less attractive than higher level ones?

How rare are MUFG Capsules?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Very Rare. :v

If it's linked to, it's either not a guardian, or a lovely guardian. I would flip that in a heartbeat just to have an AXAed no-driving field anchor.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
No one "deserves" a guardian and an onyx badge shouldn't be handed to anyone. Kill it for a unique capture. It's a game and that's part of playing.

Speaking of guardians, I just had a woman go nuts chewing me out on open comms for linking to a portal within scanner-view of where I work all summer.

Car-accessible, a block off a busy street, level 7, deployed on by 5 people, 3 common shields and a heatsink.

Yet she said I was an idiot for linking to it then ranted and raved about how inconsiderate I was for linking to her 90-day portal without asking permission first.

You see, she's on disability, on a limited budget and can't afford to drive to the boonies to claim a guardian.

All that over a 10MU field where the other two corners were inside a 30,000 seat stadium.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Living in one of the most popular tourist cities in the world is pretty great for having hundreds of portals around you, and as many as five at a time in your immediate area. I just keep dropping as many resonators as possible and linking things as much as I can without any real thought or strategy. Is a link available? Great! Take it. I don't keep anything for long (I did keep a thing for nearly a week thanks to someone upgrading it) but I sort of don't care because this is such a highly populated area with so many people.

But goddamn the level 15 guy who keeps coming over and owning my backyard is really obnoxious. Is there a point where I can just walk a block and take his poo poo and force him to either keep coming back or giving up?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Once you hit 8 you're on even footing with anyone 8 or above. Solo defending a portal against another 8 isn't possible if the attacker has a clue. So yeah, eventually you can take down anything he puts up.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

Speaking of guardians, I just had a woman go nuts chewing me out on open comms for linking to a portal within scanner-view of where I work all summer.

Car-accessible, a block off a busy street, level 7, deployed on by 5 people, 3 common shields and a heatsink.

One of the guys I play with basically considers any portal a guardian if he is deployed on it and has more than 1 key to it in inventory. No, he doesn't have his onyx and yes we make fun of him!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Usually a guardian implies any hope of reaching onyx, so these people are clearly brimming with hope...

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

I got my Onyx last week on a portal I fully deployed on at capture in a fairly dense area (college campus). It's been lvl7 since about week two. It's had at least one link coming off it probably 80% of the time. It's had a field off of it probably more that 50% of the time.
Guardians aren't about strategy, they are about luck.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

drewhead posted:

It's a bit of both and it depends entirely on where the portal is. Out in the drat sticks? Viable since the stock intel site forces you to zoom hella far in to see low level portals (IITC is another argument). In town guardians are possible but that's where the luck comes in. It's gotta be kind of annoying to get to like near a street that doesn't have a parking lot near by and try to keep it in the L5-7 range. The second it becomes a P8 you're hosed though.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

drewhead posted:

I got my Onyx last week on a portal I fully deployed on at capture in a fairly dense area (college campus). It's been lvl7 since about week two. It's had at least one link coming off it probably 80% of the time. It's had a field off of it probably more that 50% of the time.
Pretty much. A bunch of local players got them at L8 farms. There's also an element of hoping a comm scraper doesn't pick it up or that nobody you pissed off has access to one.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

GWBBQ posted:

Pretty much. A bunch of local players got them at L8 farms. There's also an element of hoping a comm scraper doesn't pick it up or that nobody you pissed off has access to one.

This is what I find fascinating about Ingress, how the playstyle varies between regions. Here, a L8 farm wouldn't survive the night, let alone long enough to have a guardian among it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Small towns turn over a lot slower than big cities. I'm used to here where we can slowly build up a farm to all 8s as people trickle through and it'll last a while; up in Portland you basically have to flash farm if you want any 8s because everything will change hands in a couple hours.

At one point I realized my guardian counter was higher than it should be based on when I captured portals for the purpose; I realized it had to be something in our farm, which had stood from its last wipe in mid-December into late February at the time.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Javid posted:

Small towns turn over a lot slower than big cities.

I passed through a small town somewhat on my way up to the mountains last weekend and cheesed off the locals by starting to smash their "shared farm" which was a couple blocks of downtown. I got comms tags along the lines of "it should of been apparent to you". WTF dude. I stopped when they asked but was pretty incensed in being told what should of been apparent to me. How about when you see a out of towner come in smashing in a beeline towards your precious farm YOU tell HIM what the local rules are before he gets there. I honestly considered flipping all my factions portals and greying the whole drat thing.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
How to not get a guardian: Claim a portal in the middle of nowhere. Mention your guardian in comms. Mention your guardian in chats. Mention your guardian to anyone. Deploy R/VR shields on it. Have a guardian.

How to get a guardian: Grab a couple guardian candidates per week. Recharge them. Don't talk about them. Expect all of them to get killed. Throw a common mod on it.

I managed 200+ days on a portal that ended up at level 8, and 250+ on a portal that's halfway to 8 with a bunch of links coming off of it. I also had at least a hundred guardian candidates killed before 150 days. I've managed 90+ days on dozens of portals, including a bunch in big cities that I wasn't even recharging. The best guardians are ones in/near small clusters or near larger farms. Nobody looks for guardians there. Nobody would've expected a portal in Brooklyn two blocks over from a line of portals to last 90 days, but I guess nobody bothered to head over to it either.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Whenever I cap anything anywhere weird, I put it into an excel spreadsheet and keep it charged. 90% of them die in short order, so I'm not keeping a thousand things charged. You never know what will stick.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Zodijackylite posted:

How to not get a guardian: Claim a portal in the middle of nowhere. Mention your guardian in comms. Mention your guardian in chats. Mention your guardian to anyone. Deploy R/VR shields on it. Have a guardian.

It's like a no hitter in baseball. You don't talk about it. You don't look at it. You don't even acknowledge it. When your guardian comes in the dugout you ignore him and make him sit by himself like he's a leper or something.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
What do you guys do about *that guy* on the opposing team who habitually hits your guardians at 86-88 days with data scraped intel lists? This shitlord is a level 16, used two accounts (logging in one to attack then "his wife's" when the mods probably drained his ultrastrikes).

I get the long troll, but I feel like this game needs to be policed to create a level playing field. Seeing the same person, even at level 16, exploit the game without recourse is really frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wait by the guardian with a gun.

• Locked thread