Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Just keep in mind that IITC is forbidden by Niantic's ToS. Everyone uses it but I wouldn't blab in public all COMM about it unless you want to get banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Exit Strategy posted:

A player got banned for location-spoofing inside a closed amusement park around here.

The problem with Niantic is that they are only taking actions on things you can prove in all COMM. If you can't prove someone did something against the rules without the data in all COMM than they wont do anything. While I can't blame them so much for taking that route it means things like IRL aggression goes unchecked.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 5, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Meatsicle posted:

Does this actually happen?
Yes. Stuff like this happens frequently vvvvv

SalTheBard posted:

players that have followed enlightened players back to their homes and their jobs so they know e each persons daily routine. It's scary
We've got a guy here that is completely insane. Drives through parking lots at 50 miles an hour, screams at you quite literally and has a particularly nasty attitude towards women. On more than one occasion he decided to yell and scream things like "whore" and "oval office" at a good friend of mine WITH her 12 year old daughter present. Sure the cops get called but by the time they show up it goes down like "Yeah, there's this guy that goes by the name of LEETHACKER that drives badly and screams at people!"

You give them a plate number and at best, AT BEST the only thing that happens is the police call the person and they deny it. Case closed.

Me and some others in the same area as this dude have basically stopped playing because he's allowed to roam free and none of us want to be yelled at because BEEP BOOP FOURSQUARE 2.0

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
On the flip side I'm sure Niantic is flooded with bogus player reports from butthurt nerds. I've basically stopped playing short of maintaining the portal at my office but I've got an inbox full of warnings from Niantic for harassment and illegal game play.

wat

One of them was for trespassing. At the portal I mentioned. In the building I work at. That has no posted hours of operation. Edit: That's publicly accessible from the sidewalk.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 5, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Aren't those things over 3 years old, single core and still on Gingerbread?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Eh, I couldn't care less. I really really doubt the exclusivity will last. Judging from Badger's comments it does high damage low radius. If you're playing in a portal rich enviornment (e.g. a city) that doesn't make it holy poo poo I need this now! I'd rather just blast a farm with standard L8 bursters. It's not like this new item is going to help you if the enemy portal has an L8 reso buried in the building.

Edit: And let's add in the fact that portal defenses are insanely good now. If you need to stand on the reso for that new thing to be most effective you're going to get the poo poo fried out of you. You'll still need to fall back on old tactics like stripping mods off at 75 meters with mid level bursters and at that point the portal will be half dead anyway and 2-3 L8's will finish it.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 1, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

They just changed the rules behind mods again - now you can only place 1 mod per person per portal (and you can't manually remove them or upgrade them), but you get AP for it

The amount of whining on the Ingress G+ community is quite a sight

It's kind of annoying but this late in the game it was a long time coming. Plenty of people with mule accounts hauling around 2k in rare mods.

Oddly enough the biggest hindrance to people using multiple accounts was the hilariously long app launch time. Now that the app launch time is super quick with 1.34 I was wondering how that would play out with those people.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 28, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Eh... portal turnover is fairly high in cities where both sides coordinate well. Not even a 4 count of VR's on a link loaded portal is going to be much of a road block to a handful of L8's wiping out a neighborhood.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
There's a crazy or two but 99% of the people I've met are just goony nerds with nothing better to do and generally nice.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

cheese-cube posted:

Whatever happened to that deal that Niantic supposedly made with Motorola wherein people who bought their new handset would get some special unique item (A super-XMP burster or something)?

They got a stock of special bursters on first sign in. Has very little splash damage but a much higher damage output.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
On the same coin it takes 8 L8's to gear themselves. This results in flash farming which can be a blast. Get 7 other L8 buddies, hit up a portal cluster and deploy/farm/burnout as fast as you can before an enemy sees what you're up to and blows the whistle. At that point you'll have a nice game of cat and mouse or and big battle. Winner calls the gear quantity bluff. As a long time L8 player I can say I couldn't give a poo poo about some dude's L5 portal. Waste of gear and time considering the new defensive percentages built into links. Want your sub L8 portal to last? Get some VRs on it and link the poo poo out of it to make it a gear sink to take down.

There's no way they'll raise the level cap at this point. There's more than a few people in pur local crew with over 10 million AP. At this point we play for the social aspect and the large scale projects. There's nothing better than using a few groups to coordinate multiple overlapping fields simultaneously covering a city of millions and watching All COMM freak the gently caress out.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

kitten smoothie posted:

If you use IITC you probably ought to stop, at least for the time being.

There have been recent reports of IITC related account suspensions. Now that Niantic changed the calls the intel map makes to its backend (they did this a few days ago), they can discern who is naughty and who is nice.

Came in to post this. Maybe now I can can actually get some Guardian badges without some poo poo heel trolling portal age in IITC.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Been 8 for a good long while. All I do is maintain a small 4 portal cluster at work and hand out the gear I get to more active players each time I cap out. I'll show up for L8 flash farming if there's beer involved. Oh and grab long distance keys to pass out for mega fields to the still weirdly hard core players whenever my job has me travel.*

*There's a few people in our local group with over 10 million AP. Good God. One got his kid playing and they got him to 8 in 38 hours.

Until Niantic starts adding more content I don't see myself playing any more than the little I do now.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GWBBQ posted:

We were talking about this in a local chat again today, and I said what I've always said: Ingress is an MMO and what you do in MMOs is hit level cap then grief people. AP and MU are points, but the real score is kept in your community's gallery of screenshots showing whining and complete meltdowns by members of the other faction, plus the people in your ranks you've convinced to put in for faction change.

Of course I'm saying that from the perspective of a CT Resistance player, our situation is a bit unique.

No, this is pretty much what ingress boils down in to and its great. I love finding people's pet portals and poo poo on them constantly. Even if you don't pop it you can get them to drive back across town to save it. After a few weeks of daily hits you have a good chance they'll snap in All COMM.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Zip posted:

ok so dumb question... someone connected portal after portal in our area to create a few glowing blue areas laid over each other... so now I can't see the roads when I look at my cell phone ingress map.. just a glowing blue area mostly. It looks pretty weird though.

Is this a graphics glitch or a totally normal occurrence?

Normal. There are ways to overlap fields and stack MU gain.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
On the flip side there are crazy obsessive people. Just came across a local guy with 33 million AP. The only explanation for that is that he plans his day around a cell phone game. Every day.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Really depends on the crowd. I've been to a few which were fun enough. Yes there are some insufferable nerds but more often than not they quickly turn into bar runs which I'm ok with. :)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

spiny posted:

really ? I didn't think they were 'hackable' yet ?

After a brief bug, they are back to 'hackable' status but like Jarvis/ADA the drop rate is insanely low.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It was fun seeing a bunch of OG L8's come out of retirement to blast their way to 16. It was a god drat warzone last night.

Ultra's are good for shield cracking but that's about it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Exit Strategy posted:

Shield cracking and loving with folks. "I'm going to attack this portal, but gently caress JUST THIS ONE GUY i'm only gonna break his poo poo."

Oh my God I hadn't thought of that and now that's all I'm going to do. :aaaaa:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Qu Appelle posted:

So, what are the AP amounts needed for the new levels?

New levels require AP and medals.

Please note that the badges for tenure and events do not count.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Its also worth noting that the Agent tab in game itself has been updated to show new requirements.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah, whore all the AP. New levels come with high XM caps.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Don't worry, we'll get bored with it soon enough.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Ingress is playable on EDGE without much issue.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'm ok with it. An injection of new players would be nice. Even in a metro setting I'm sick of seeing nothing but the same power players that are apparently unemployed with an unlimited gas budget.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mr. Powers posted:

I carpooled in to Boston for an event and hacked portals along the way. The density is astounding. I also got a capsule, what should I do with it?

They have two uses as far as I can see:
1) Key farming. Keys stashed in a capsule still count against inventory but nothing else so if you want a bunch of keys to a farm or portal just keep stashing them in the capsule and hack again. Bam, more keys.

2) Bulk transfer of items to another player

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

WeX Majors posted:

Jesus gently caress Jersey is going insane in anticipation of the event happening tomorrow. I've never seen so many block links/active players. I thought it would kinda just be contained to the Hoboken area, but nope, it's any single area that might be geographically important.

Watch the game come to a screeching laggy halt tomorrow. The past two I've gone to I just grabbed my participant codes and bounced.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Exit Strategy posted:

There's one guy who approves portals. For the entire planet.

Hahahahaha this is the most amazing thing :allears:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mr. Powers posted:

Not even to load up on a portal and then Jarvis/Ada it?

Yeah, soft bricking is the only use I've personally seen.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
On the flip side its trivial for me as a L8+ player to tear down a non linked portal. Seriously, it takes zero effort but I have to think about how much gear I want to burn to take down something linked to high heaven. If links meant less defense than shields would have to actually do something.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Aramoro posted:

If only there was a way to find out such things

https://support.google.com/ingress/answer/2892252?contact=1

You can can change faction once, it effectively resets you to 0 again.

They are currently at 4 weeks out on these.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Most players I know that have switched just abandon their old accounts and start a new one because of the lead time.

The benefit of switching rather than doing that is keeping your agent name and stats (other than AP)

Does this work anymore with the phone number verification they implemented not too long ago?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

You're lucky. The competition in my cell is pretty cut throat. Constant cross faction drama wears thin.

Yeah, Phoenix metro is like this too. :sigh:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Police calls, lost jobs, breaking into federal cemeteries, cheating, fights, we've had it all. Both sides are probably just as bad, but no one wants to admit that their poo poo stinks so the factionalism is rampant.

I probably should quit, but it's a fun game when I'm not getting into fist fights.

All of this and people airing out affairs is what the past year has been for my local players.

:allears:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Teddybear posted:

I just joined the Enlightened in Boston (iOS), and it's kinda funny to see how super obsessed people get over this. I shouldn't be surprised though.

How can I submit new portals? Is there a minimum level you have to be, or is it not in the iOS version yet?

Not in the iOS version yet.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

PerrineClostermann posted:

This is literally the point of eve online.

What's the best way to get my rear end from 7 to 8?

Link spam in portal clusters that flip often. It pisses people off but whatever, someone will just blow it up anyway.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Or just an unemployed nerds with what seems like infinite time and money. Basically 95% of this game's player population.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It will be interesting to see how things shift on campus once fall semester starts

Campus portal clusters are a never ending warzone when school starts and a gold mine for any agent on either side looking to level quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah there are a lot of players who fly for business and mule keys. Myself included.

• Locked thread